|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the ancestors of the most prominent man in town from?
2. Why did the Judge once disinherit Tom from the Will?
3. Why do some people continue to put up with Tom while he is nasty to them?
4. What does Aunt Patsy do to make extra money?
5. What makes Aunt Patsy something of a celebrity in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Roxana after Percy dies?
2. Who lives with Judge Driscoll?
3. What does Wilson like to collect from the people in town?
4. What happened to most of Judge Driscoll's nieces and nephews?
5. What does Roxana notice when she dresses her son in Tom's clothes?
6. What happens to Tom when Percy dies?
7. What does Wilson decide to do when he sees that having a law practice will not be possible in the new town?
8. What does Tom decide to do after his college experience?
9. What does Tom do when he goes to college?
10. What happens when some of Percy's slaves are accused of theft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What does "down river" symbolize to the characters in this book, and how does this affect the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
How does Judge Driscoll choose to raise Tom and why? How does this decision affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)