|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Tom tell about his thoughts about why Wilson's plan has not worked to catch the thief?
(a) All of these.
(b) Judge Driscoll.
(c) The constable.
2. Who becomes mayor on Election Day?
(b) Judge Driscoll.
3. What does Luigi intend to do after the Judge says horrible things about him on Election Day?
(a) Prove that the Judge was lying.
(b) Leave the town.
(c) Take him to court.
(d) Challenge him to a duel.
4. What political position is Judge Driscoll running for?
(d) Chief Justice.
5. What is a group in town trying to legalize?
(a) Cough syrup.
6. What did Angelo once get from a Prince?
(a) A jewel.
(b) A vase.
(c) A map.
(d) A knife.
7. How does Tom travel to St. Louis?
(b) Motor car.
(c) Stage coach.
8. Why does Wilson agree to represent the accused?
(a) He has wanted to be a lawyer for a long time.
(b) He thinks it is his moral duty.
(c) He has good evidence.
(d) He does not believe they are guilty.
9. Where does the person with the plan to catch the thief think he will be caught?
(a) The general store.
(b) The bank.
(c) The saloon.
(d) The pawn shop.
10. Who does Tom go to hoping for a sympathetic ear about his humiliation at the meeting?
(d) Aunt Pratt.
11. How much does Tom get from the sale of Roxana?
(a) Half what he needs.
(b) One third of what he needs.
(c) Exactly what he needs.
(d) Twice what he needs.
12. What happens at the end of the meeting?
(a) A man is stabbed.
(b) The meeting tent falls down.
(c) Tom is arrested.
(d) A fire breaks out.
13. What does Roxana do to help her son pay his debts?
(a) Sells her home.
(b) Gives him her precious ring.
(c) Allows herself to be sold as a slave.
(d) Gives him back her part of the inheritance.
14. Who runs into the house after the Judge is stabbed?
(a) Aunt Pratt.
(c) David Wilson.
(d) The twins.
15. What does Tom use to stab his uncle?
(a) The twins' knife.
(b) The fire poker.
(c) A pen knife.
(d) A letter opener.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wilson with when Tom tries to embarrass him?
2. What happens to the things Tom takes with him to St. Louis?
3. Who has made a plan to catch the thief?
4. Where does Tom tell his uncle he was when he heard about what the twins were?
5. How does Judge Driscoll think Tom should have handled his humiliation at the meeting?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)