|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In one of the fragments, Bangs writes to convince himself that he is not yet old at the age of _______.
2. Bangs believes that the album "Metal Machine Music" is the ultimate evolution of using _______.
3. Bangs believes that Laughner bought into a rock culture that celebrates ______, and Bangs subsequently denounces that culture.
4. At the conclusion of the interview, Bangs decides that he has changed his opinion of Reed and that he is a _______.
5. As the couple continues to discover things about each other they realize that they both hate the same things and both love _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bangs consider Lou Reed to be a hero of his, according to his writings?
2. What does Bangs say about the book "Lost Highway" and how it is marked?
3. Why does Bangs want to have sex with death all around him, according to one of his essays?
4. What does narcissism allow a person to do, according to the opinion of Richard Hell in Bangs' writing?
5. Why does Bangs think it is pointless to get bogged down in who created a musical style?
6. What does Bangs say about his times with Laughner when he decides to write about him?
7. Why does Bangs believe that Elvis was able to be a rebel without being an outcast?
8. What does Reed have to say about Iggy Pop when he is first being interviewed by Bangs in this section?
9. What are the opinions of the Lou Reed album, "How to Succeed in Torture Without Really Trying," including Bangs' opinion?
10. What does the woman decide she wants to do when she runs into her ex-lover later on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The interpretation of song lyrics can be tricky and dependent on the person who does the translating.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible to definitively state that a song means one thing?
Part 2: Do you think you are objective when it comes to the interpretation of song lyrics?
Part 3: How do you think a person could be positive about the meaning of a song?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs writes about the Clash as they were one of the first bands who really wanted to make a difference in the world.
Part 1: Do you think that the Clash actually wanted to make a difference in the world?
Part 2: How do you think Bangs really feels about the music of the Clash?
Part 3: What are your opinions of the Clash based on what you've read in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs dismisses Chicago because, while he hates the music, he knows it will be popular to the general public.
Part 1: Do you think that all popular bands are unable to create good music?
Part 2: Why do you think popularity is so offensive to Bangs in his viewpoint?
Part 3: How do you think you would review a band that is popular but that was not suited to your tastes?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)