|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs asserts that Reed's music is about ______, which Reed denies. They also get into an argument about stimulants.
2. The way the woman finally is able to get rid of him is ______ and making him famous.
3. During their interview, Hell describes to Bangs the importance of self-hatred and ______ in music.
4. Bangs described ______ as a supernatural force in his ability to be a rebel without becoming an outcast.
5. In the first excerpt from "Untitled Notes", Bangs purchases a non-existent _______ album called "Sucking It in the Seventies".
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about Hell's music that disturbs Bangs, according to the way he writes about the music?
2. What happens between the man and the woman in the opening part of this section that causes her to kick him out?
3. What does Bangs say about his times with Laughner when he decides to write about him?
4. What does Bangs say about Elvis' place in the music history at the end of his piece about him?
5. Why does Bangs consider Lou Reed to be a hero of his, according to his writings?
6. Why does Bangs want to have sex with death all around him, according to one of his essays?
7. What does Bangs believe hints to Pop's isolation in the music world when he is reviewing a show?
8. What does the woman begin to realize about the man as their relationship continues on?
9. Why does Bangs think it is pointless to get bogged down in who created a musical style?
10. What does Bangs tell readers to read when they decide they want to read something?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs is a music critic, someone who is paid to talk about his opinions about music, which sometimes are stilted and unbalanced.
Part 1: Do you think a music critic should try to be more balanced in their writing?
Part 2: Do you agree with most of Bangs' ideas about music?
Part 3: How do you think a music critic is able to criticize music without letting their own tastes get in the way? Is this possible?
Essay Topic 2
Reed and Bangs are insulting each other when they are first talking to each other the interview they have in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think the two men decide to insult each other when they are talking?
Part 2: Do you think it's good form to insult another person you are interviewing?
Part 3: How do you think Bangs should have treated Reed in that particular interview?
Essay Topic 3
The drugs that are found a lot in the music world are also found in Bangs, though he criticizes his friend for succumbing to that lifestyle.
Part 1: Why do you think drugs are often a part of the music world?
Part 2: How do you think a person could avoid the drug scene in the music world?
Part 3: How do you think you might react to a person that succumbs to drugs because they want to be a part of a certain lifestyle?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)