|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The essay "The Greatest Album Ever Made" is a list of _______ different reasons Bangs likes "Metal Machine Music".
2. Bangs asserts that almost every band that is thought of as _______ was originally criticized for being terrible musicians.
3. Bangs reviewed a recent performance of Iggy Pop at the Palladium and suggested that his physical performance hints at his ______.
4. According to Hell, the ability of a person to remake himself is the message of the song ______.
5. The excerpt from "Maggie May" is a fictional piece that was inspired by the song written by ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bangs believe hints to Pop's isolation in the music world when he is reviewing a show?
2. What does Bangs note about any band which is now considered to be great in the eyes of the culture?
3. Why does Hell believe that self-hatred is important, according to the way that Bangs writes about him?
4. Why does Bangs consider Lou Reed to be a hero of his, according to his writings?
5. What happens between the man and the woman in the opening part of this section that causes her to kick him out?
6. What does Bangs argue about the music that Lou Reed makes when it is good?
7. Why is Bangs surprised by the amount of racism that is present in punk rock and in punk rock music?
8. What does Bangs say about Elvis' place in the music history at the end of his piece about him?
9. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
10. Why does Bangs believe Richard Hell's style of punk rock is necessary in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick Clark is a surprising figure in this story, sounding as though he doesn't agree with pop music, even though he seems to celebrate it.
Part 1: How do you think Bangs feels about Clark before and after their meeting?
Part 2: Why do you think Clark points out that music is not original?
Part 3: Why do you think popular culture tends to enjoy the same sort of music over and over?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs writes about the Clash as they were one of the first bands who really wanted to make a difference in the world.
Part 1: Do you think that the Clash actually wanted to make a difference in the world?
Part 2: How do you think Bangs really feels about the music of the Clash?
Part 3: What are your opinions of the Clash based on what you've read in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs is quick to point out that much of the music of the time period is a reaction to the world around the musicians.
Part 1: Why do you think musicians chose to react to the world around them?
Part 2: How do you think music is influenced by society? And vice versa?
Part 3: Do you think that music should be impacted by society? Why or why not?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)