|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs suggests that he likes the album Metal Box because it expresses the _____ that Bangs feels.
2. Bangs reviewed a recent performance of Iggy Pop at the Palladium and suggested that his physical performance hints at his ______.
3. In his final excerpt, Bangs rehashes his disputes with ______, lead singer from the Velvet Underground.
4. Bangs recounted an incident in which he referred to a band as _______ in front of a black couple.
5. Bangs suggests that "Metal Machine Music" has curative properties and may be useful in treating ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bangs surprised by the amount of racism that is present in punk rock and in punk rock music?
2. Why does Bangs want to have sex with death all around him, according to one of his essays?
3. What does narcissism allow a person to do, according to the opinion of Richard Hell in Bangs' writing?
4. What does Bangs argue about the music that Lou Reed makes when it is good?
5. What does Bangs say about Elvis' place in the music history at the end of his piece about him?
6. What does Bangs believe hints to Pop's isolation in the music world when he is reviewing a show?
7. What does Bangs conclude about the performances of Pop when he sees the show at the beginning of this chapter?
8. What does Bangs believe about the music of Bob Seger when he reviews his album?
9. What does Bangs do in order to go see the Tangerine Dream laser show at Avery Fisher Hall in New York?
10. What does Reed have to say about Iggy Pop when he is first being interviewed by Bangs in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning, Bangs writes from the perspective of an older man who is explaining rock and roll to children.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to consider alternative histories?
Part 2: How do you think that the opening section is right? How is it wrong?
Part 3: Do you think that an alternative history is just as valid as the real history?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs seems to be irreverent in much of his writing, deciding to use different voices for different topics.
Part 1: Why do you think Bangs uses different voices in different columns?
Part 2: Do you think it's better to have a consistent voice or to have different voices?
Part 3: How do you think you would speak if you were writing a music column versus a traditional column?
Essay Topic 3
Dick Clark is a surprising figure in this story, sounding as though he doesn't agree with pop music, even though he seems to celebrate it.
Part 1: How do you think Bangs feels about Clark before and after their meeting?
Part 2: Why do you think Clark points out that music is not original?
Part 3: Why do you think popular culture tends to enjoy the same sort of music over and over?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)