|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs suggests that he likes the album Metal Box because it expresses the _____ that Bangs feels.
2. The excerpt from "Maggie May" is a fictional piece that was inspired by the song written by ______.
3. Bangs suggests that in America, ______ was often one of the only things that ever united the races.
4. Bangs reviewed the group Sham 69, a British punk band whose fans were known to be ______.
5. Bangs suggests that "Metal Machine Music" has curative properties and may be useful in treating ______.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick Clark is a surprising figure in this story, sounding as though he doesn't agree with pop music, even though he seems to celebrate it.
Part 1: How do you think Bangs feels about Clark before and after their meeting?
Part 2: Why do you think Clark points out that music is not original?
Part 3: Why do you think popular culture tends to enjoy the same sort of music over and over?
Essay Topic 2
The drugs that are found a lot in the music world are also found in Bangs, though he criticizes his friend for succumbing to that lifestyle.
Part 1: Why do you think drugs are often a part of the music world?
Part 2: How do you think a person could avoid the drug scene in the music world?
Part 3: How do you think you might react to a person that succumbs to drugs because they want to be a part of a certain lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
The interpretation of song lyrics can be tricky and dependent on the person who does the translating.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible to definitively state that a song means one thing?
Part 2: Do you think you are objective when it comes to the interpretation of song lyrics?
Part 3: How do you think a person could be positive about the meaning of a song?
This section contains 1,562 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)