|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs suggests that racism began to form when rock left its blues roots and became _____ music.
2. During the interview with Lou Reed, Bangs suggests that _______ imitates Lou Reed.
3. Bangs recounts an episode in which he experienced a great deal of _______ going to the convenience store.
4. Bangs discusses Lou Reed's new album called "Metal Machine Music", which is all ______ music.
5. Bangs believes that ______ are the only band in their genre with strong convictions about making a better world.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bangs say about Elvis' place in the music history at the end of his piece about him?
2. What does narcissism allow a person to do, according to the opinion of Richard Hell in Bangs' writing?
3. What does the woman begin to realize about the man as their relationship continues on?
4. What do the man and the woman realize about themselves and about the things they share in common?
5. What happens when a person buys the fictitious Rolling Stones album that Bangs describes in this section?
6. What does Bangs conclude about the performances of Pop when he sees the show at the beginning of this chapter?
7. Why does Bangs believe Richard Hell's style of punk rock is necessary in the world?
8. What does Bangs reveal that he and his friends hate doing, when he is writing in the first part of this section?
9. What does Bangs say about his times with Laughner when he decides to write about him?
10. Why is it difficult for Bangs to see Elvis as a tragic character in the music world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The drugs that are found a lot in the music world are also found in Bangs, though he criticizes his friend for succumbing to that lifestyle.
Part 1: Why do you think drugs are often a part of the music world?
Part 2: How do you think a person could avoid the drug scene in the music world?
Part 3: How do you think you might react to a person that succumbs to drugs because they want to be a part of a certain lifestyle?
Essay Topic 2
Reed and Bangs are insulting each other when they are first talking to each other the interview they have in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think the two men decide to insult each other when they are talking?
Part 2: Do you think it's good form to insult another person you are interviewing?
Part 3: How do you think Bangs should have treated Reed in that particular interview?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs is quick to point out that much of the music of the time period is a reaction to the world around the musicians.
Part 1: Why do you think musicians chose to react to the world around them?
Part 2: How do you think music is influenced by society? And vice versa?
Part 3: Do you think that music should be impacted by society? Why or why not?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)