|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many people were obsessed with Phillips and Bangs believes he could bring out what was inside a person like a _______.
2. During his essay on Sham 69, Bangs attempts to emulate their style in his writing and ends every sentence with _______.
3. Bangs believes that the album "Metal Machine Music" is the ultimate evolution of using _______.
4. Bangs discusses Lou Reed's new album called "Metal Machine Music", which is all ______ music.
5. Bangs states that Laughner's doctors told him to quit using drugs but he continued to use to imitate ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does narcissism allow a person to do, according to the opinion of Richard Hell in Bangs' writing?
2. What are the opinions of the Lou Reed album, "How to Succeed in Torture Without Really Trying," including Bangs' opinion?
3. What happens between the man and the woman in the opening part of this section that causes her to kick him out?
4. What does Bangs say about his times with Laughner when he decides to write about him?
5. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
6. What do the man and the woman realize about themselves and about the things they share in common?
7. What does Bangs believe hints to Pop's isolation in the music world when he is reviewing a show?
8. What does Bangs conclude about the performances of Pop when he sees the show at the beginning of this chapter?
9. What does the woman decide she wants to do when she runs into her ex-lover later on?
10. What does Reed have to say about Iggy Pop when he is first being interviewed by Bangs in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs is quick to point out that much of the music of the time period is a reaction to the world around the musicians.
Part 1: Why do you think musicians chose to react to the world around them?
Part 2: How do you think music is influenced by society? And vice versa?
Part 3: Do you think that music should be impacted by society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs believes that a free style of music is much more effective than a more arty style, like Led Zeppelin.
Part 1: How would you characterize the music of Led Zeppelin?
Part 2: Do you think that free music is better than music which is more structured?
Part 3: Why do you think Bangs is more forgiving to free music?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs dismisses Chicago because, while he hates the music, he knows it will be popular to the general public.
Part 1: Do you think that all popular bands are unable to create good music?
Part 2: Why do you think popularity is so offensive to Bangs in his viewpoint?
Part 3: How do you think you would review a band that is popular but that was not suited to your tastes?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)