|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his essay "Fragments, 1976-1982", Bangs writes about the fact that he and his friends hate ______.
2. Bangs believes that the album "Metal Machine Music" is the ultimate evolution of using _______.
3. In his essay on New Year's Eve, Bangs recounts the last ______ that he has experienced.
4. In his review of Peter Guralinick's book, Bangs suggests that all the characters in the book were destroyed by their ______.
5. Bangs suggests that racism began to form when rock left its blues roots and became _____ music.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bangs say about the book "Lost Highway" and how it is marked?
2. Why does Bangs believe Richard Hell's style of punk rock is necessary in the world?
3. What does the woman begin to realize about the man as their relationship continues on?
4. What is the opinion Bangs has of Reed when the interview is over versus when they first started?
5. What happens between the man and the woman in the opening part of this section that causes her to kick him out?
6. What is it about Hell's music that disturbs Bangs, according to the way he writes about the music?
7. What does Bangs say about Elvis' place in the music history at the end of his piece about him?
8. What does Bangs conclude about the performances of Pop when he sees the show at the beginning of this chapter?
9. Why is it difficult for Bangs to see Elvis as a tragic character in the music world?
10. Why does Hell believe that self-hatred is important, according to the way that Bangs writes about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs writes about the Clash as they were one of the first bands who really wanted to make a difference in the world.
Part 1: Do you think that the Clash actually wanted to make a difference in the world?
Part 2: How do you think Bangs really feels about the music of the Clash?
Part 3: What are your opinions of the Clash based on what you've read in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs describes feeling more powerful as a result of the most masculine album that Reed makes in "Metal Machine Music."
Part 1: Why do you think powerful and masculine are two words that are associated with each other?
Part 2: Do you think that women singers can be powerful? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a song can be made more powerful for the audience?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs discusses himself and his life as well, as though it connected to the music lifestyle.
Part 1: Do you think it's self-indulgent to talk about oneself as a writer?
Part 2: Why do you think Bangs decides to share some personal information about himself?
Part 3: Do you think readers would respect Bangs more if he shared less of himself and of his life?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)