|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his essay on New Year's Eve, Bangs recounts the last ______ that he has experienced.
2. In the essay "How to Succeed at _______ Without Really Trying", Bangs claims that he is not still fighting with Lou Reed.
3. Bangs describes a fantasy about eating ______ out of Elvis Presley's dead body, or part of the body to become Elvis himself.
4. Bangs discusses Lou Reed's new album called "Metal Machine Music", which is all ______ music.
5. During the interview with Lou Reed, Bangs suggests that _______ imitates Lou Reed.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bangs consider Lou Reed to be a hero of his, according to his writings?
2. What does Reed have to say about Iggy Pop when he is first being interviewed by Bangs in this section?
3. Why does Bangs believe that Elvis was able to be a rebel without being an outcast?
4. Why is Bangs surprised by the amount of racism that is present in punk rock and in punk rock music?
5. What does the woman decide she wants to do when she runs into her ex-lover later on?
6. What does Bangs reveal that he and his friends hate doing, when he is writing in the first part of this section?
7. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
8. What happens between the man and the woman in the opening part of this section that causes her to kick him out?
9. Why does Bangs want to have sex with death all around him, according to one of his essays?
10. What are the opinions of the Lou Reed album, "How to Succeed in Torture Without Really Trying," including Bangs' opinion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs seems to be irreverent in much of his writing, deciding to use different voices for different topics.
Part 1: Why do you think Bangs uses different voices in different columns?
Part 2: Do you think it's better to have a consistent voice or to have different voices?
Part 3: How do you think you would speak if you were writing a music column versus a traditional column?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs is quick to point out that much of the music of the time period is a reaction to the world around the musicians.
Part 1: Why do you think musicians chose to react to the world around them?
Part 2: How do you think music is influenced by society? And vice versa?
Part 3: Do you think that music should be impacted by society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs begins to argue that the natural progression of music is to give the music over to machines.
Part 1: Do you agree that the natural progression of music is to give the work over to machines?
Part 2: How do you think music should be played in order to be enjoyable?
Part 3: Do you think today's music is being handled by machines primarily?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)