|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his essay on Sham 69, Bangs attempts to emulate their style in his writing and ends every sentence with _______.
2. Bangs believes that Laughner bought into a rock culture that celebrates ______, and Bangs subsequently denounces that culture.
3. In their interview about the new album, Lou Reed tells Bangs that he thinks it is the best work he has done but it should have been released with a _______.
4. Bangs praises _______ for creating music with the Velvet Underground that was physically and mentally stimulating.
5. In his article about Elvis, Bangs describes his experience of telling ______ men about Elvis' death and their lack of care.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a person buys the fictitious Rolling Stones album that Bangs describes in this section?
2. Why is it difficult for Bangs to see Elvis as a tragic character in the music world?
3. What does narcissism allow a person to do, according to the opinion of Richard Hell in Bangs' writing?
4. Why is Bangs surprised by the amount of racism that is present in punk rock and in punk rock music?
5. Why does Bangs believe that Elvis was able to be a rebel without being an outcast?
6. What does Bangs believe about the music of Bob Seger when he reviews his album?
7. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
8. What does Bangs say about the book "Lost Highway" and how it is marked?
9. What does Bangs tell readers to read when they decide they want to read something?
10. Why does Bangs believe Richard Hell's style of punk rock is necessary in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs dismisses Chicago because, while he hates the music, he knows it will be popular to the general public.
Part 1: Do you think that all popular bands are unable to create good music?
Part 2: Why do you think popularity is so offensive to Bangs in his viewpoint?
Part 3: How do you think you would review a band that is popular but that was not suited to your tastes?
Essay Topic 2
From the outside, it might look like Bangs is more of a music snob than he appears to be, only favoring indie rock.
Part 1: Why do you think Bangs prefers indie rock bands?
Part 2: Why do you think Bangs tends to be repulsed by popular music and popular bands?
Part 3: Do you think there is a 'true' music form that should be listened to over others?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning, Bangs writes from the perspective of an older man who is explaining rock and roll to children.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to consider alternative histories?
Part 2: How do you think that the opening section is right? How is it wrong?
Part 3: Do you think that an alternative history is just as valid as the real history?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)