|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs feels that Richard Hell's style of _____ rock is important because he still feels things in a world where most don't.
2. Bangs himself died of drug related causes about _____ years after the essay about Laughner was written.
3. Bangs believes that ______ are the only band in their genre with strong convictions about making a better world.
4. In the essay "The White Noise Supremacists", Bangs tackles the subject of ______ in punk music.
5. Bangs reports that most of his New Year's Eve experiences involve all of the following except ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bangs say about his times with Laughner when he decides to write about him?
2. Why does Bangs think it is pointless to get bogged down in who created a musical style?
3. What does Bangs believe hints to Pop's isolation in the music world when he is reviewing a show?
4. Why does Bangs believe Richard Hell's style of punk rock is necessary in the world?
5. What does Bangs note about any band which is now considered to be great in the eyes of the culture?
6. What are the opinions of the Lou Reed album, "How to Succeed in Torture Without Really Trying," including Bangs' opinion?
7. What does the woman begin to realize about the man as their relationship continues on?
8. What does Bangs reveal that he and his friends hate doing, when he is writing in the first part of this section?
9. What does Bangs believe about the music of Bob Seger when he reviews his album?
10. What does Bangs do in order to go see the Tangerine Dream laser show at Avery Fisher Hall in New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs writes about the Clash as they were one of the first bands who really wanted to make a difference in the world.
Part 1: Do you think that the Clash actually wanted to make a difference in the world?
Part 2: How do you think Bangs really feels about the music of the Clash?
Part 3: What are your opinions of the Clash based on what you've read in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs seems to think that music and rock and roll should not be revered for being technically great.
Part 1: Does music have to be done well in order to be enjoyable?
Part 2: How do you think music is hindered by the structure of notes and time keeping?
Part 3: Why do you think Bangs believes music should be free to experiment?
Essay Topic 3
In his writing, Bangs seems to have explanations for band names, which seem to be a little preposterous.
Part 1: Do you think you can believe everything that Bangs is saying?
Part 2: How do you think Bangs comes up with the answers that he shares with his readers?
Part 3: Why do you think Bangs feels the need to explain the band names and meanings?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)