|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs reports that most of his New Year's Eve experiences involve all of the following except ______.
2. Bangs himself died of drug related causes about _____ years after the essay about Laughner was written.
3. In the essay "Notes on Pil's Metal Box", Bangs wonders if Johnny ______'s music is just juvenile nastiness.
4. Ivan Julian, the rhythm guitar player for the _______ is one of the few black musicians in the punk scene.
5. The excerpt from "Maggie May" is a fictional piece that was inspired by the song written by ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when a person buys the fictitious Rolling Stones album that Bangs describes in this section?
2. What does Bangs argue about the music that Lou Reed makes when it is good?
3. What does Bangs reveal that he and his friends hate doing, when he is writing in the first part of this section?
4. What does Bangs tell readers to read when they decide they want to read something?
5. What do the man and the woman realize about themselves and about the things they share in common?
6. Why does Bangs want to have sex with death all around him, according to one of his essays?
7. What does Reed have to say about Iggy Pop when he is first being interviewed by Bangs in this section?
8. What is it about Hell's music that disturbs Bangs, according to the way he writes about the music?
9. What is the opinion Bangs has of Reed when the interview is over versus when they first started?
10. Why is it difficult for Bangs to see Elvis as a tragic character in the music world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs begins to wonder if the maniacal performances by Pop and his audience aren't a reflection of a sickness in the singer and in the crowd.
Part 1: Do you think that Pop is trying to be crazy or do you think he actually is?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bangs has changed the way he looks at punk music?
Part 3: How do you think that Pop and his audience could be more controlled without being less enjoyable?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs writes about the Clash as they were one of the first bands who really wanted to make a difference in the world.
Part 1: Do you think that the Clash actually wanted to make a difference in the world?
Part 2: How do you think Bangs really feels about the music of the Clash?
Part 3: What are your opinions of the Clash based on what you've read in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs dismisses Chicago because, while he hates the music, he knows it will be popular to the general public.
Part 1: Do you think that all popular bands are unable to create good music?
Part 2: Why do you think popularity is so offensive to Bangs in his viewpoint?
Part 3: How do you think you would review a band that is popular but that was not suited to your tastes?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)