|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs suggests that racism began to form when rock left its blues roots and became _____ music.
2. Bangs described ______ as a supernatural force in his ability to be a rebel without becoming an outcast.
3. In the essay "Notes on Pil's Metal Box", Bangs wonders if Johnny ______'s music is just juvenile nastiness.
4. Bangs states in "All My Friends are Hermits" that he wants to have sex with this woman surrounded by ______.
5. At the conclusion of the interview, Bangs decides that he has changed his opinion of Reed and that he is a _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between the man and the woman in the opening part of this section that causes her to kick him out?
2. What does Bangs tell readers to read when they decide they want to read something?
3. What happens when a person buys the fictitious Rolling Stones album that Bangs describes in this section?
4. Why does Bangs think it is pointless to get bogged down in who created a musical style?
5. Why does Bangs believe that Elvis was able to be a rebel without being an outcast?
6. What does Bangs reveal that he and his friends hate doing, when he is writing in the first part of this section?
7. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
8. What does the woman begin to realize about the man as their relationship continues on?
9. What does Bangs note about any band which is now considered to be great in the eyes of the culture?
10. What does Bangs say about the book "Lost Highway" and how it is marked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the outside, it might look like Bangs is more of a music snob than he appears to be, only favoring indie rock.
Part 1: Why do you think Bangs prefers indie rock bands?
Part 2: Why do you think Bangs tends to be repulsed by popular music and popular bands?
Part 3: Do you think there is a 'true' music form that should be listened to over others?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs is a music critic, someone who is paid to talk about his opinions about music, which sometimes are stilted and unbalanced.
Part 1: Do you think a music critic should try to be more balanced in their writing?
Part 2: Do you agree with most of Bangs' ideas about music?
Part 3: How do you think a music critic is able to criticize music without letting their own tastes get in the way? Is this possible?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs dismisses Chicago because, while he hates the music, he knows it will be popular to the general public.
Part 1: Do you think that all popular bands are unable to create good music?
Part 2: Why do you think popularity is so offensive to Bangs in his viewpoint?
Part 3: How do you think you would review a band that is popular but that was not suited to your tastes?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)