|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs describes a fantasy about eating ______ out of Elvis Presley's dead body, or part of the body to become Elvis himself.
2. In the essay "Let Us Now Praise Famous Death Dwarves", Bangs lists ways that ______ is unique, including the fact that he is willing to interview with Bangs again.
3. In his review of Peter Guralinick's book, Bangs suggests that all the characters in the book were destroyed by their ______.
4. Bangs concludes by stating that Lou Reed once did him a favor by saying that he had been a good writer but now was a ______.
5. In his essay "Fragments, 1976-1982", Bangs writes about the fact that he and his friends hate ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman decide she wants to do when she runs into her ex-lover later on?
2. What does Bangs believe hints to Pop's isolation in the music world when he is reviewing a show?
3. Why does Bangs consider Lou Reed to be a hero of his, according to his writings?
4. What does Bangs argue about the music that Lou Reed makes when it is good?
5. Why does Bangs believe that Elvis was able to be a rebel without being an outcast?
6. What does Bangs say about his times with Laughner when he decides to write about him?
7. What does Bangs note about any band which is now considered to be great in the eyes of the culture?
8. What does Bangs reveal that he and his friends hate doing, when he is writing in the first part of this section?
9. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
10. What does Bangs conclude about the performances of Pop when he sees the show at the beginning of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the outside, it might look like Bangs is more of a music snob than he appears to be, only favoring indie rock.
Part 1: Why do you think Bangs prefers indie rock bands?
Part 2: Why do you think Bangs tends to be repulsed by popular music and popular bands?
Part 3: Do you think there is a 'true' music form that should be listened to over others?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs discusses himself and his life as well, as though it connected to the music lifestyle.
Part 1: Do you think it's self-indulgent to talk about oneself as a writer?
Part 2: Why do you think Bangs decides to share some personal information about himself?
Part 3: Do you think readers would respect Bangs more if he shared less of himself and of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs believes that a free style of music is much more effective than a more arty style, like Led Zeppelin.
Part 1: How would you characterize the music of Led Zeppelin?
Part 2: Do you think that free music is better than music which is more structured?
Part 3: Why do you think Bangs is more forgiving to free music?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)