|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs concludes the article by suggesting that "Metal Machine Music" is the most ______ album Reed has made.
2. In his essay, Bangs accuses Seger of ______ because his music is not much different than others.
3. In an excerpt from his review of Peter Guralinick's book, Bangs focused on Sam Phillips, the owner of _______.
4. Bangs believes that the album "Metal Machine Music" is the ultimate evolution of using _______.
5. Bangs suggests that Reed's latest album was inspired by _______, which Bangs jokes could solve all the worlds problems.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joe Strummer says that he actually wants to know when he's not being as good in concerts.
Part 1: Do you think most performers want to hear whether they are good in a performance?
Part 2: How do you think a performer from today's music scene might react if someone told them they were off one night?
Part 3: Do you appreciate honesty over being told you are good, even when you're not?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs begins to argue that the natural progression of music is to give the music over to machines.
Part 1: Do you agree that the natural progression of music is to give the work over to machines?
Part 2: How do you think music should be played in order to be enjoyable?
Part 3: Do you think today's music is being handled by machines primarily?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs is a music critic, someone who is paid to talk about his opinions about music, which sometimes are stilted and unbalanced.
Part 1: Do you think a music critic should try to be more balanced in their writing?
Part 2: Do you agree with most of Bangs' ideas about music?
Part 3: How do you think a music critic is able to criticize music without letting their own tastes get in the way? Is this possible?
This section contains 1,569 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)