|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the essay "Let Us Now Praise Famous Death Dwarves", Bangs lists ways that ______ is unique, including the fact that he is willing to interview with Bangs again.
2. Bangs rejects the idea that punk is _____ because some bands used symbols like swastikas. He felt that it was mainly for shock value.
3. Bangs claims that rock and roll's power does not come from musical talent but from the ______ instinct to constantly move.
4. During his essay on Sham 69, Bangs attempts to emulate their style in his writing and ends every sentence with _______.
5. Bangs asserts that almost every band that is thought of as _______ was originally criticized for being terrible musicians.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bangs conclude about the performances of Pop when he sees the show at the beginning of this chapter?
2. What is it about Hell's music that disturbs Bangs, according to the way he writes about the music?
3. Why is Bangs surprised by the amount of racism that is present in punk rock and in punk rock music?
4. Why does Bangs want to have sex with death all around him, according to one of his essays?
5. Why does Bangs believe Richard Hell's style of punk rock is necessary in the world?
6. What is the opinion Bangs has of Reed when the interview is over versus when they first started?
7. What does Bangs say about his times with Laughner when he decides to write about him?
8. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
9. What does Reed have to say about Iggy Pop when he is first being interviewed by Bangs in this section?
10. Why does Bangs believe that Elvis was able to be a rebel without being an outcast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs is quick to point out that much of the music of the time period is a reaction to the world around the musicians.
Part 1: Why do you think musicians chose to react to the world around them?
Part 2: How do you think music is influenced by society? And vice versa?
Part 3: Do you think that music should be impacted by society? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs begins to argue that the natural progression of music is to give the music over to machines.
Part 1: Do you agree that the natural progression of music is to give the work over to machines?
Part 2: How do you think music should be played in order to be enjoyable?
Part 3: Do you think today's music is being handled by machines primarily?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs dismisses Chicago because, while he hates the music, he knows it will be popular to the general public.
Part 1: Do you think that all popular bands are unable to create good music?
Part 2: Why do you think popularity is so offensive to Bangs in his viewpoint?
Part 3: How do you think you would review a band that is popular but that was not suited to your tastes?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)