|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs reviewed the group Sham 69, a British punk band whose fans were known to be ______.
2. Bangs reports that most of his New Year's Eve experiences involve all of the following except ______.
3. In the article "Where Were You When Elvis Died", Bangs likens Elvis to ______ because of his secrecy.
4. After the concert at Avery Fisher Hall, Bangs decides that the other attendees were ______.
5. After an initial fight, the couple meet again on the street and the young man asks the woman to ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bangs say about his times with Laughner when he decides to write about him?
2. What does the woman decide she wants to do when she runs into her ex-lover later on?
3. Why does Bangs believe Richard Hell's style of punk rock is necessary in the world?
4. What does Bangs believe hints to Pop's isolation in the music world when he is reviewing a show?
5. Why does Bangs want to have sex with death all around him, according to one of his essays?
6. What does Bangs say about Elvis' place in the music history at the end of his piece about him?
7. What does narcissism allow a person to do, according to the opinion of Richard Hell in Bangs' writing?
8. Why is Bangs surprised by the amount of racism that is present in punk rock and in punk rock music?
9. Why is it difficult for Bangs to see Elvis as a tragic character in the music world?
10. Why does Bangs think it is pointless to get bogged down in who created a musical style?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs discusses himself and his life as well, as though it connected to the music lifestyle.
Part 1: Do you think it's self-indulgent to talk about oneself as a writer?
Part 2: Why do you think Bangs decides to share some personal information about himself?
Part 3: Do you think readers would respect Bangs more if he shared less of himself and of his life?
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning, Bangs writes from the perspective of an older man who is explaining rock and roll to children.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to consider alternative histories?
Part 2: How do you think that the opening section is right? How is it wrong?
Part 3: Do you think that an alternative history is just as valid as the real history?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs describes feeling more powerful as a result of the most masculine album that Reed makes in "Metal Machine Music."
Part 1: Why do you think powerful and masculine are two words that are associated with each other?
Part 2: Do you think that women singers can be powerful? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a song can be made more powerful for the audience?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)