|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ivan Julian, the rhythm guitar player for the _______ is one of the few black musicians in the punk scene.
2. Bangs tells Reed during their interview that "Metal Machine Music" is authentic and calls it a _______ career move.
3. The woman in the Maggie May story goes to the bar the next day looking _______ because she has no money.
4. Guralinick tries to justify Phillips' switch to almost entirely ______ musicians after recording Elvis Presley.
5. Bangs recounts an episode in which he experienced a great deal of _______ going to the convenience store.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about Hell's music that disturbs Bangs, according to the way he writes about the music?
2. Why does Bangs think it is pointless to get bogged down in who created a musical style?
3. Why does Bangs want to have sex with death all around him, according to one of his essays?
4. What is the opinion Bangs has of Reed when the interview is over versus when they first started?
5. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
6. Why is it difficult for Bangs to see Elvis as a tragic character in the music world?
7. What do the man and the woman realize about themselves and about the things they share in common?
8. Why is Bangs surprised by the amount of racism that is present in punk rock and in punk rock music?
9. Why does Bangs believe Richard Hell's style of punk rock is necessary in the world?
10. What does Bangs tell readers to read when they decide they want to read something?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs is a music critic, someone who is paid to talk about his opinions about music, which sometimes are stilted and unbalanced.
Part 1: Do you think a music critic should try to be more balanced in their writing?
Part 2: Do you agree with most of Bangs' ideas about music?
Part 3: How do you think a music critic is able to criticize music without letting their own tastes get in the way? Is this possible?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs dismisses Chicago because, while he hates the music, he knows it will be popular to the general public.
Part 1: Do you think that all popular bands are unable to create good music?
Part 2: Why do you think popularity is so offensive to Bangs in his viewpoint?
Part 3: How do you think you would review a band that is popular but that was not suited to your tastes?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning, Bangs writes from the perspective of an older man who is explaining rock and roll to children.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to consider alternative histories?
Part 2: How do you think that the opening section is right? How is it wrong?
Part 3: Do you think that an alternative history is just as valid as the real history?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)