|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs rejects the idea that punk is _____ because some bands used symbols like swastikas. He felt that it was mainly for shock value.
2. Bangs suggests that Reed's latest album was inspired by _______, which Bangs jokes could solve all the worlds problems.
3. Bangs begins his interview with Lou Reed by having an argument with him even though he is Bangs' ______.
4. Bangs reviewed the group Sham 69, a British punk band whose fans were known to be ______.
5. During his essay on Sham 69, Bangs attempts to emulate their style in his writing and ends every sentence with _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does narcissism allow a person to do, according to the opinion of Richard Hell in Bangs' writing?
2. What does Bangs do in order to go see the Tangerine Dream laser show at Avery Fisher Hall in New York?
3. What does Bangs note about any band which is now considered to be great in the eyes of the culture?
4. What is it about Hell's music that disturbs Bangs, according to the way he writes about the music?
5. What happens between the man and the woman in the opening part of this section that causes her to kick him out?
6. Why does Bangs want to have sex with death all around him, according to one of his essays?
7. Why is it difficult for Bangs to see Elvis as a tragic character in the music world?
8. Why does Bangs think it is pointless to get bogged down in who created a musical style?
9. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
10. Why is Bangs surprised by the amount of racism that is present in punk rock and in punk rock music?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs discusses himself and his life as well, as though it connected to the music lifestyle.
Part 1: Do you think it's self-indulgent to talk about oneself as a writer?
Part 2: Why do you think Bangs decides to share some personal information about himself?
Part 3: Do you think readers would respect Bangs more if he shared less of himself and of his life?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs seems to think that music and rock and roll should not be revered for being technically great.
Part 1: Does music have to be done well in order to be enjoyable?
Part 2: How do you think music is hindered by the structure of notes and time keeping?
Part 3: Why do you think Bangs believes music should be free to experiment?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs dismisses Chicago because, while he hates the music, he knows it will be popular to the general public.
Part 1: Do you think that all popular bands are unable to create good music?
Part 2: Why do you think popularity is so offensive to Bangs in his viewpoint?
Part 3: How do you think you would review a band that is popular but that was not suited to your tastes?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)