|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his review of Peter Guralinick's book, Bangs suggests that all the characters in the book were destroyed by their ______.
2. Many people were obsessed with Phillips and Bangs believes he could bring out what was inside a person like a _______.
3. In his essay "Fragments, 1976-1982", Bangs writes about the fact that he and his friends hate ______.
4. According to Hell, the ability of a person to remake himself is the message of the song ______.
5. Bangs suggests that Reed's latest album was inspired by _______, which Bangs jokes could solve all the worlds problems.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bangs think it is pointless to get bogged down in who created a musical style?
2. What does Bangs believe hints to Pop's isolation in the music world when he is reviewing a show?
3. Why does Hell believe that self-hatred is important, according to the way that Bangs writes about him?
4. What does Bangs do in order to go see the Tangerine Dream laser show at Avery Fisher Hall in New York?
5. Why does Bangs consider Lou Reed to be a hero of his, according to his writings?
6. What does Bangs reveal that he and his friends hate doing, when he is writing in the first part of this section?
7. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
8. What is it about Hell's music that disturbs Bangs, according to the way he writes about the music?
9. What does narcissism allow a person to do, according to the opinion of Richard Hell in Bangs' writing?
10. What does Bangs tell readers to read when they decide they want to read something?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning, Bangs writes from the perspective of an older man who is explaining rock and roll to children.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important to consider alternative histories?
Part 2: How do you think that the opening section is right? How is it wrong?
Part 3: Do you think that an alternative history is just as valid as the real history?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs discusses himself and his life as well, as though it connected to the music lifestyle.
Part 1: Do you think it's self-indulgent to talk about oneself as a writer?
Part 2: Why do you think Bangs decides to share some personal information about himself?
Part 3: Do you think readers would respect Bangs more if he shared less of himself and of his life?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs seems to be irreverent in much of his writing, deciding to use different voices for different topics.
Part 1: Why do you think Bangs uses different voices in different columns?
Part 2: Do you think it's better to have a consistent voice or to have different voices?
Part 3: How do you think you would speak if you were writing a music column versus a traditional column?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)