|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs discusses Lou Reed's new album called "Metal Machine Music", which is all ______ music.
2. Bangs states that on the previous New Year's Eve he met _____ different women and did not have sex with any of them.
3. Bangs recounted an incident in which he referred to a band as _______ in front of a black couple.
4. The couple returns to the man's apartment and they have ______.
5. Reed tells Bangs that there are ______ that can be used as a weapon and some of them are on his latest album.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bangs conclude about the performances of Pop when he sees the show at the beginning of this chapter?
2. What is it about Hell's music that disturbs Bangs, according to the way he writes about the music?
3. What does Bangs believe about the music of Bob Seger when he reviews his album?
4. What does the woman decide she wants to do when she runs into her ex-lover later on?
5. Why does Bangs consider Lou Reed to be a hero of his, according to his writings?
6. Why does Hell believe that self-hatred is important, according to the way that Bangs writes about him?
7. What does Bangs say about Elvis' place in the music history at the end of his piece about him?
8. What does narcissism allow a person to do, according to the opinion of Richard Hell in Bangs' writing?
9. What do the man and the woman realize about themselves and about the things they share in common?
10. What does the woman begin to realize about the man as their relationship continues on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick Clark is a surprising figure in this story, sounding as though he doesn't agree with pop music, even though he seems to celebrate it.
Part 1: How do you think Bangs feels about Clark before and after their meeting?
Part 2: Why do you think Clark points out that music is not original?
Part 3: Why do you think popular culture tends to enjoy the same sort of music over and over?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs seems to be irreverent in much of his writing, deciding to use different voices for different topics.
Part 1: Why do you think Bangs uses different voices in different columns?
Part 2: Do you think it's better to have a consistent voice or to have different voices?
Part 3: How do you think you would speak if you were writing a music column versus a traditional column?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs describes feeling more powerful as a result of the most masculine album that Reed makes in "Metal Machine Music."
Part 1: Why do you think powerful and masculine are two words that are associated with each other?
Part 2: Do you think that women singers can be powerful? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a song can be made more powerful for the audience?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)