|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In an excerpt from "The Scorn Papers", Bangs takes issue with The Village Eye, which credited Richard Hell and John Holmstrom with the invention of ______.
2. Bangs rejects the idea that punk is _____ because some bands used symbols like swastikas. He felt that it was mainly for shock value.
3. Bangs believes that the album "Metal Machine Music" is the ultimate evolution of using _______.
4. Bangs reviewed a recent performance of Iggy Pop at the Palladium and suggested that his physical performance hints at his ______.
5. Bangs concludes that Iggy Pop's performances are the most ______ things he has seen and also the most terrifying.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman begin to realize about the man as their relationship continues on?
2. What does the woman decide she wants to do when she runs into her ex-lover later on?
3. What do the man and the woman realize about themselves and about the things they share in common?
4. What does Bangs say about the book "Lost Highway" and how it is marked?
5. What does Bangs reveal that he and his friends hate doing, when he is writing in the first part of this section?
6. What does Reed have to say about Iggy Pop when he is first being interviewed by Bangs in this section?
7. What does Bangs argue about the music that Lou Reed makes when it is good?
8. What happens between the man and the woman in the opening part of this section that causes her to kick him out?
9. Why does Hell believe that self-hatred is important, according to the way that Bangs writes about him?
10. What does Bangs note about any band which is now considered to be great in the eyes of the culture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs seems to think that music and rock and roll should not be revered for being technically great.
Part 1: Does music have to be done well in order to be enjoyable?
Part 2: How do you think music is hindered by the structure of notes and time keeping?
Part 3: Why do you think Bangs believes music should be free to experiment?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs begins to wonder if the maniacal performances by Pop and his audience aren't a reflection of a sickness in the singer and in the crowd.
Part 1: Do you think that Pop is trying to be crazy or do you think he actually is?
Part 2: Why do you think that Bangs has changed the way he looks at punk music?
Part 3: How do you think that Pop and his audience could be more controlled without being less enjoyable?
Essay Topic 3
Dick Clark is a surprising figure in this story, sounding as though he doesn't agree with pop music, even though he seems to celebrate it.
Part 1: How do you think Bangs feels about Clark before and after their meeting?
Part 2: Why do you think Clark points out that music is not original?
Part 3: Why do you think popular culture tends to enjoy the same sort of music over and over?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)