|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Hell, the ability of a person to remake himself is the message of the song ______.
2. The excerpt from "Maggie May" is a fictional piece that was inspired by the song written by ______.
3. Bangs concludes that Guralinick no longer wants to be a rock star because _______ often destroys musicians.
4. Bangs discusses Lou Reed's new album called "Metal Machine Music", which is all ______ music.
5. Bangs recounted an incident in which he referred to a band as _______ in front of a black couple.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bangs say about the book "Lost Highway" and how it is marked?
2. Why does Bangs consider Lou Reed to be a hero of his, according to his writings?
3. What does Bangs tell readers to read when they decide they want to read something?
4. Why is Bangs surprised by the amount of racism that is present in punk rock and in punk rock music?
5. What does Bangs believe about the music of Bob Seger when he reviews his album?
6. What does the woman decide she wants to do when she runs into her ex-lover later on?
7. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
8. What does narcissism allow a person to do, according to the opinion of Richard Hell in Bangs' writing?
9. What does Bangs believe hints to Pop's isolation in the music world when he is reviewing a show?
10. What does the woman begin to realize about the man as their relationship continues on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Like so many other music critics, Bangs has stories of run-ins with the law which make it into his columns.
Part 1: Why do you think Bangs decides that he won't stop playing his sax, and then gets in trouble for it?
Part 2: Do you think there is a reputation that a music critic has to uphold in order to be seen as valid?
Part 3: How do you think a music critic or a musician should behave?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs writes about the Clash as they were one of the first bands who really wanted to make a difference in the world.
Part 1: Do you think that the Clash actually wanted to make a difference in the world?
Part 2: How do you think Bangs really feels about the music of the Clash?
Part 3: What are your opinions of the Clash based on what you've read in the book?
Essay Topic 3
In his writing, Bangs seems to have explanations for band names, which seem to be a little preposterous.
Part 1: Do you think you can believe everything that Bangs is saying?
Part 2: How do you think Bangs comes up with the answers that he shares with his readers?
Part 3: Why do you think Bangs feels the need to explain the band names and meanings?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)