|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the interview with Lou Reed, Bangs suggests that _______ imitates Lou Reed.
2. Bangs believes that Laughner bought into a rock culture that celebrates ______, and Bangs subsequently denounces that culture.
3. The woman comes to realize at some point that she feels more like a ______ than a lover in their relationship.
4. Bangs described ______ as a supernatural force in his ability to be a rebel without becoming an outcast.
5. In his article about Elvis, Bangs describes his experience of telling ______ men about Elvis' death and their lack of care.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bangs surprised by the amount of racism that is present in punk rock and in punk rock music?
2. What does Bangs argue about the music that Lou Reed makes when it is good?
3. What does Bangs do in order to go see the Tangerine Dream laser show at Avery Fisher Hall in New York?
4. What does Bangs believe about the music of Bob Seger when he reviews his album?
5. What does Bangs say is the most important ways in which Lou Reed is unique?
6. Why does Bangs consider Lou Reed to be a hero of his, according to his writings?
7. What do the man and the woman realize about themselves and about the things they share in common?
8. What does Reed have to say about Iggy Pop when he is first being interviewed by Bangs in this section?
9. What does Bangs reveal that he and his friends hate doing, when he is writing in the first part of this section?
10. What is it about Hell's music that disturbs Bangs, according to the way he writes about the music?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Reed and Bangs are insulting each other when they are first talking to each other the interview they have in the book.
Part 1: Why do you think the two men decide to insult each other when they are talking?
Part 2: Do you think it's good form to insult another person you are interviewing?
Part 3: How do you think Bangs should have treated Reed in that particular interview?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs discusses himself and his life as well, as though it connected to the music lifestyle.
Part 1: Do you think it's self-indulgent to talk about oneself as a writer?
Part 2: Why do you think Bangs decides to share some personal information about himself?
Part 3: Do you think readers would respect Bangs more if he shared less of himself and of his life?
Essay Topic 3
The interpretation of song lyrics can be tricky and dependent on the person who does the translating.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible to definitively state that a song means one thing?
Part 2: Do you think you are objective when it comes to the interpretation of song lyrics?
Part 3: How do you think a person could be positive about the meaning of a song?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)