|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bangs, groups should have resisted the urge to become arty and developed the free style used by _____ musicians.
2. The essay titled "____ Witch" recommends the album because the band are all sexually frustrated "dorks".
3. When the confrontation escalates, Bangs is arrested by a tenant in the building and charged with _____.
4. Bangs believes that the Godz third album ________ is a complete descent into acid-rock cliches.
5. In "Black _____ Arkansas: Keep the Faith", Bangs admits that he like the band's album when he first heard it.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the assessment of "Fun House" that Bangs makes after listening to the album the first and the second time?
2. Why does Clark believe that he will still be around for years to come, as he says when talking to Bangs?
3. What does Bangs explain to be the meaning of the band name, The Troggs, when he starts this section?
4. What does Bangs have to say about the albums that Chicago puts out during this lifetime?
5. What is the observation that Bangs makes about the rock bands of the time and how they were seen by crowds?
6. Who are some of the famous guitarists whose careers were launched by the Yardbirds rock band?
7. What does Bang argue is the recipe for making rock and roll good again, according to his essay?
8. What does Bangs have to say about the idea of good taste, especially when it comes to old movies and to music?
9. From whom does Kraftwerk say that they take their inspiration, according to their conversation with Bangs?
10. What does Bangs claim is the inspiration for the band name, The Troggs, though some aren't sure this is the case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs seems to be irreverent in much of his writing, deciding to use different voices for different topics.
Part 1: Why do you think Bangs uses different voices in different columns?
Part 2: Do you think it's better to have a consistent voice or to have different voices?
Part 3: How do you think you would speak if you were writing a music column versus a traditional column?
Essay Topic 2
The drugs that are found a lot in the music world are also found in Bangs, though he criticizes his friend for succumbing to that lifestyle.
Part 1: Why do you think drugs are often a part of the music world?
Part 2: How do you think a person could avoid the drug scene in the music world?
Part 3: How do you think you might react to a person that succumbs to drugs because they want to be a part of a certain lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs is a music critic, someone who is paid to talk about his opinions about music, which sometimes are stilted and unbalanced.
Part 1: Do you think a music critic should try to be more balanced in their writing?
Part 2: Do you agree with most of Bangs' ideas about music?
Part 3: How do you think a music critic is able to criticize music without letting their own tastes get in the way? Is this possible?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)