|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs states that "Station to Station" is ______ 's finest album yet because even if the lyrics are pretentious, the guitar is amazing.
2. During the interview with J. Geils, the band invites Bangs to write ______ as they play an encore.
3. Bangs suggested that rock bands had become pretentious and therefore deserved to get pied in the face like ______.
4. Bangs writes the latter half of his interview with Slade in an imitation of a _______ cockney accent.
5. In "Chicago at Carnegie Hall, Volumes I,II, III, & IV", Bangs mocks the album as being better as pieces of _____ than a work of music.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bangs speak so highly of the Van Morrison album, "Astral Weeks," in his essay?
2. What is the assessment of "Fun House" that Bangs makes after listening to the album the first and the second time?
3. What does Lester Bangs not like about the way that music shifted in the 1960s, according to his essays?
4. Why does Clark believe that he will still be around for years to come, as he says when talking to Bangs?
5. What does Bangs have to say about the albums that Chicago puts out during this lifetime?
6. What does Bangs have to say about the album "Keep the Faith," even though he liked the band's first album?
7. What is the old man in the first essay trying to explain to his children, though Lester Bangs is the one who wrote it?
8. Who are some of the famous guitarists whose careers were launched by the Yardbirds rock band?
9. Why does Bangs recommend the album "White Witch", even though it's difficult to tell whether he is being serious or not in this essay?
10. What is the observation that Bangs makes about the rock bands of the time and how they were seen by crowds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The interpretation of song lyrics can be tricky and dependent on the person who does the translating.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible to definitively state that a song means one thing?
Part 2: Do you think you are objective when it comes to the interpretation of song lyrics?
Part 3: How do you think a person could be positive about the meaning of a song?
Essay Topic 2
Joe Strummer says that he actually wants to know when he's not being as good in concerts.
Part 1: Do you think most performers want to hear whether they are good in a performance?
Part 2: How do you think a performer from today's music scene might react if someone told them they were off one night?
Part 3: Do you appreciate honesty over being told you are good, even when you're not?
Essay Topic 3
Bangs believes that a free style of music is much more effective than a more arty style, like Led Zeppelin.
Part 1: How would you characterize the music of Led Zeppelin?
Part 2: Do you think that free music is better than music which is more structured?
Part 3: Why do you think Bangs is more forgiving to free music?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)