|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the article "Jethro Tull in ______" Bangs describes how the band has managed to become popular without the benefit of a radio single.
2. Other critics said of Iggy Pop and the band that the stage show was juvenile and they were musically ______.
3. Bangs describes the fact that Iggy Pop transitioned from an imitation of______ on the last album to a more refined and unique form.
4. Bangs spends almost half of the review of the album talking about the song ______, which Bangs believes is about a transsexual man.
5. Bangs suggests that the song called ______ by the Troggs is about a countdown towards sexual penetration.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jon Landau do in response to the way that Lester Bangs writes about music, according to the essay?
2. What does Bangs believe about the show of David Bowie when he goes to promote it in his work?
3. What does Bangs have to say about the idea of good taste, especially when it comes to old movies and to music?
4. What does Bang argue is the recipe for making rock and roll good again, according to his essay?
5. Why does Bangs recommend the album "White Witch", even though it's difficult to tell whether he is being serious or not in this essay?
6. Who are some of the famous guitarists whose careers were launched by the Yardbirds rock band?
7. What does the J. Geils Band invite Bangs to do when he is trying to cover their concert?
8. What does Lester Bangs not like about the way that music shifted in the 1960s, according to his essays?
9. What does Bangs explain to be the meaning of the band name, The Troggs, when he starts this section?
10. What is the observation that Bangs makes about the rock bands of the time and how they were seen by crowds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs seems to be irreverent in much of his writing, deciding to use different voices for different topics.
Part 1: Why do you think Bangs uses different voices in different columns?
Part 2: Do you think it's better to have a consistent voice or to have different voices?
Part 3: How do you think you would speak if you were writing a music column versus a traditional column?
Essay Topic 2
The drugs that are found a lot in the music world are also found in Bangs, though he criticizes his friend for succumbing to that lifestyle.
Part 1: Why do you think drugs are often a part of the music world?
Part 2: How do you think a person could avoid the drug scene in the music world?
Part 3: How do you think you might react to a person that succumbs to drugs because they want to be a part of a certain lifestyle?
Essay Topic 3
Dick Clark is a surprising figure in this story, sounding as though he doesn't agree with pop music, even though he seems to celebrate it.
Part 1: How do you think Bangs feels about Clark before and after their meeting?
Part 2: Why do you think Clark points out that music is not original?
Part 3: Why do you think popular culture tends to enjoy the same sort of music over and over?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)