|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs considers horror movies to be the equivalent of ______ movies and writes a fake L.A. times article detailing an uprising against the television stations.
2. The band known as the Troggs derived their name from the word ______ which means "cavemen".
3. Lester Bangs refers to Count Five's album ______ as being their grungiest, and describes the reaction of other critics.
4. The essay "James Taylor Marked for Death" begins with a discussion about the British band called ______.
5. During the interview with J. Geils, the band invites Bangs to write ______ as they play an encore.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bangs believe about the show of David Bowie when he goes to promote it in his work?
2. What does Bangs claim is the inspiration for the band name, The Troggs, though some aren't sure this is the case?
3. What does Bangs believe is the reason why The Guess Who are so popular and so effective with their audience?
4. Why does Bangs speak so highly of the Van Morrison album, "Astral Weeks," in his essay?
5. Why does Clark believe that he will still be around for years to come, as he says when talking to Bangs?
6. What is the observation that Bangs makes about the rock bands of the time and how they were seen by crowds?
7. What is the assessment of "Fun House" that Bangs makes after listening to the album the first and the second time?
8. Why does Bangs recommend the album "White Witch", even though it's difficult to tell whether he is being serious or not in this essay?
9. What does Bangs have to say about the album "Keep the Faith," even though he liked the band's first album?
10. What happens when Bangs decides to chase his landlady back to her apartment as he is playing the saxophone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bangs describes feeling more powerful as a result of the most masculine album that Reed makes in "Metal Machine Music."
Part 1: Why do you think powerful and masculine are two words that are associated with each other?
Part 2: Do you think that women singers can be powerful? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think a song can be made more powerful for the audience?
Essay Topic 2
Bangs believes that a free style of music is much more effective than a more arty style, like Led Zeppelin.
Part 1: How would you characterize the music of Led Zeppelin?
Part 2: Do you think that free music is better than music which is more structured?
Part 3: Why do you think Bangs is more forgiving to free music?
Essay Topic 3
Dick Clark is a surprising figure in this story, sounding as though he doesn't agree with pop music, even though he seems to celebrate it.
Part 1: How do you think Bangs feels about Clark before and after their meeting?
Part 2: Why do you think Clark points out that music is not original?
Part 3: Why do you think popular culture tends to enjoy the same sort of music over and over?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)