|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bangs suggests that "Metal Machine Music" has curative properties and may be useful in treating ______.
2. Bangs suggests that "Metal Machine Music" could also be used as a deterrent for _______.
(a) Stray dogs.
3. In the article "Where Were You When Elvis Died", Bangs likens Elvis to ______ because of his secrecy.
(a) The FBI.
(b) The Pentagon.
(c) The White House.
(d) The CIA.
4. Bangs reports that most of his New Year's Eve experiences involve all of the following except ______.
(b) Sexual frustration.
5. According to Hell, the ability of a person to remake himself is the message of the song ______.
(a) Blank Generation.
(b) New Year's Eve.
(c) 5th Generation.
(d) Stranger in Town.
6. Bangs concludes that Guralinick no longer wants to be a rock star because _______ often destroys musicians.
(a) Drug addiction.
(b) Alcohol addiction.
(c) The music business.
(d) Playing on the road.
7. The woman in the Maggie May story goes to the bar the next day looking _______ because she has no money.
(a) For a meal.
(b) To prostitute herself.
(c) For work.
(d) For a handout.
8. During the interview with Lou Reed, Bangs suggests that _______ imitates Lou Reed.
(a) Iggy Pop.
(c) David Bowie.
(d) Luther Vandross.
9. Bangs claims that rock and roll's power does not come from musical talent but from the ______ instinct to constantly move.
10. In his essay about the death of Peter Laughner, Bangs describes his friendship with Peter, who was a rock musician and a ______.
11. In the essay "Notes on Pil's Metal Box", Bangs wonders if Johnny ______'s music is just juvenile nastiness.
12. In "New Year's Eve", Bangs asserts that the holiday raises expectations for the future to an unreasonable level and the night is overall ______.
13. Bangs enjoys Hell's music, but he is profoundly disturbed by the sense of ______ that he detects in his music and personality.
14. Bangs asserts that Reed's music is about ______, which Reed denies. They also get into an argument about stimulants.
15. Bangs concludes that Iggy Pop's performances are the most ______ things he has seen and also the most terrifying.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Maggie May excerpt begins with a male character meeting an _____ woman in a bar in London.
2. In one of the fragments, Bangs writes to convince himself that he is not yet old at the age of _______.
3. Bangs described ______ as a supernatural force in his ability to be a rebel without becoming an outcast.
4. During his essay on Sham 69, Bangs attempts to emulate their style in his writing and ends every sentence with _______.
5. Bangs recounts an episode in which he experienced a great deal of _______ going to the convenience store.
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)