|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bangs, groups should have resisted the urge to become arty and developed the free style used by _____ musicians.
2. Bangs suggests that the music of ______ was a natural reaction to the chaos of the late 1960s.
(a) The Black Crows.
(b) The Stooges.
(c) The Yardbirds.
(d) The Animals.
3. Bangs claims that Count Five released a total of ______ albums and goes on to explain the merits of each.
4. Bangs then reviews James Taylor's album called "_____ Man Dog" and surprisingly defends the album.
5. In his writing, Bangs fantasizes about murdering ______ because he is so self-absorbed.
(a) Bob Dylan.
(b) Reg Presley.
(c) James Taylor.
(d) Elvis Presley.
6. Bangs describes another band, _____, that was able to step into using a freestyle approach partly due to the fact that barely knew how to play their instruments.
(a) The Stooges.
(b) The Mysterians.
(c) The Velvet Underground.
(d) Question Mark.
7. The ______ seize the television stations and play all manner of different content, and one station in LA tries to play every movie ever made.
8. Bangs purchases a record by _______ and he says it is so bad that "it gets stars for lousiness".
(a) The Heroz.
(b) The Starz.
(c) The Legendz.
(d) The Godz.
9. Bangs admires the Troggs for making innocent _____ songs as well as incredibly sexual music.
10. Bangs finds the lyrics on Jethro Tull's new album "Thick as a _____" to be self -righteous.
11. Bangs considers horror movies to be the equivalent of ______ movies and writes a fake L.A. times article detailing an uprising against the television stations.
(b) Rock and Roll.
12. The second essay in the book is a review of Van Morrison's second album called _______.
(a) Madame George.
(b) Velvet Underground.
(c) Astral Weeks.
(d) T.V. Eye.
13. The old man also tells his grandchildren that _____ was assassinated at a show in 1973 - two years after the article was written.
(a) Jimmy Page
(b) Jeff Beck.
(c) Jimmy Hendrix.
(d) Eric Clapton.
14. Although the essay begins by talking about the _______, the narrator changes the subject to a group called Count Five.
(a) Rolling Stones.
(d) Led Zeppelin.
15. The worst examples of bands that treat their fans poorly Bangs refers to as ______, with James Taylor as the lead person in the group.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs also claims that the Troggs got their name from a group of ______ youth who were living in caves at the time of the band's formation.
2. Lester Bangs refers to Count Five's album ______ as being their grungiest, and describes the reaction of other critics.
3. Other critics said of Iggy Pop and the band that the stage show was juvenile and they were musically ______.
4. One group that Bangs felt did use a more freestyle approach was ________, but they were among the few.
5. Bangs begins the essay "John Coltrane Lives" by describing a recent practice session with his band and discovering a _______ in the apartment, reminding him of Coltrane.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)