|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bangs believes that David Bowie's concert performance was an attempt to appropriate ______ culture.
2. Rock crowds had become convinced that bands were supposed to be objects of ______.
(a) Sexual fantasy.
3. The narrator agonizes over buying Count Five's record _____ because it is mediocre but he eventually comes to love it.
(a) Physical Graffiti.
(c) Carburetor Dung.
(d) Psychotic Reaction.
4. Bangs also claims that the Troggs got their name from a group of ______ youth who were living in caves at the time of the band's formation.
5. Although the essay begins by talking about the _______, the narrator changes the subject to a group called Count Five.
(b) Led Zeppelin.
(d) Rolling Stones.
6. The band known as the Troggs derived their name from the word ______ which means "cavemen".
7. Dick Clark tells Bangs that he will be around for a long time precisely because he promotes ______ music.
8. Bands describes some of his adolescent ______ exploits as a form of tribute to the power of the Troggs' music.
9. Bangs finds the lyrics on Jethro Tull's new album "Thick as a _____" to be self -righteous.
10. ______ is the singer of the Velvet Underground, the band that Bangs suggested was able to use a free style method.
(a) Lou Reed.
(b) Iggy Pop.
(c) Mick Jagger.
(d) Bob Dylan.
11. Bangs suggests that once groups reach stardom they begin to treat their fans with ______.
12. Bangs hears the album ______ at a dinner party and it leads to him and others harassing people at a Masons function.
(b) Station to Station.
13. Bangs was at first offended by the Guess Who's most famous song "______ Woman" but then realized that their willingness to offend the audience is what made them great.
14. In his write up of the song _____, Bangs fantasizes about the lead singer, Reg Presley, living out the lyrics.
(a) Wild Thing.
(b) I Just Sing.
15. The article "My Night of Ecstasy With the J. Geils Band" talks about Bangs and the staff of ______ trying to figure out how to cover the J. Geils show.
(a) The Rolling Stone.
(c) Heavy Metal.
(d) The Cream.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the second section of the essay, Bangs suggests that some bands turned from simplistic rock into arty bands, including all of the following except ______.
2. Bangs suggests that the music of ______ was a natural reaction to the chaos of the late 1960s.
3. Bangs feels that Morrison has a unique talent to take a simple phrase and repeat it until it becomes something ______.
4. Bangs suggested that rock bands had become pretentious and therefore deserved to get pied in the face like ______.
5. Bangs states that "Station to Station" is ______ 's finest album yet because even if the lyrics are pretentious, the guitar is amazing.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)