|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bangs believes that David Bowie's concert performance was an attempt to appropriate ______ culture.
2. Bangs concludes the essay by suggesting that ______ are making jokes to their listeners that play off all of their darkest fears and fantasies.
(a) Question Mark.
(b) The Rolling Stones.
(c) The Stooges.
(d) Led Zeppelin.
3. Bangs was at first offended by the Guess Who's most famous song "______ Woman" but then realized that their willingness to offend the audience is what made them great.
4. In Bangs' review of the Stooges second album, he talks about the "relentlessly driving" _____, which is in the first half of the album.
(a) Fun House.
(b) Rolling Stone.
(c) T.V. Eye.
(d) L.A. Blues.
5. During the interview with J. Geils, the band invites Bangs to write ______ as they play an encore.
(a) In the front row.
(b) On a guitar.
(c) On stage.
6. Bangs suggested that rock bands had become pretentious and therefore deserved to get pied in the face like ______.
(a) Eric Clapton.
(b) Alice Cooper.
(c) Iggy Pop.
(d) Jimmy Page.
7. The old man tells his grandchildren that by the end of the 1960s, the Yardbirds had transformed into the band ______.
(a) Pink Floyd.
(b) Rolling Stones.
(c) Fleetwood Mac.
(d) Led Zeppelin.
8. The narrator agonizes over buying Count Five's record _____ because it is mediocre but he eventually comes to love it.
(b) Psychotic Reaction.
(c) Physical Graffiti.
(d) Carburetor Dung.
9. Bangs suggests that _____ is a dangerous thing because it makes people vulnerable to the universal pain of life.
10. Dick Clark tells Bangs that he will be around for a long time precisely because he promotes ______ music.
11. Bangs admires the Troggs for making innocent _____ songs as well as incredibly sexual music.
12. Bangs feels that Morrison has a unique talent to take a simple phrase and repeat it until it becomes something ______.
13. Bangs concludes his review of Barry White by comparing White's songs to ______.
14. The second essay in the book is a review of Van Morrison's second album called _______.
(a) T.V. Eye.
(b) Astral Weeks.
(c) Madame George.
(d) Velvet Underground.
15. The essay titled "____ Witch" recommends the album because the band are all sexually frustrated "dorks".
Short Answer Questions
1. Other critics said of Iggy Pop and the band that the stage show was juvenile and they were musically ______.
2. Bangs suggests in "Kraftwerkfeature" that the natural progression of rock and roll is to turn over to ________.
3. Although the essay begins by talking about the _______, the narrator changes the subject to a group called Count Five.
4. According to Bangs, groups should have resisted the urge to become arty and developed the free style used by _____ musicians.
5. Bangs is using a deception because none of these other Count Five albums existed, and he was comparing himself to a ______ critic.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)