|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Black _____ Arkansas: Keep the Faith", Bangs admits that he like the band's album when he first heard it.
2. Lester Bangs refers to Count Five's album ______ as being their grungiest, and describes the reaction of other critics.
(a) Physical Graffiti.
(c) Psychotic Reaction.
(d) Carburetor Dung.
3. Bangs suggested that rock bands had become pretentious and therefore deserved to get pied in the face like ______.
(a) Eric Clapton.
(b) Iggy Pop.
(c) Alice Cooper.
(d) Jimmy Page.
4. Bangs believes that the Godz third album ________ is a complete descent into acid-rock cliches.
(a) The Final Testament.
(b) The Third Testament.
(c) The Third Eye.
(d) The Old Testament.
5. When Bangs takes the instrument home with him and attempts to play it, a dispute with ______ erupts.
(a) John Coltrane.
(b) A neighbor.
(c) The landlady.
(d) His girlfriend.
6. Bangs bemoans the turn popular music took towards _______ and politics in the late '60s, preferring instead the earlier sounds of the decade.
7. In his writing, Bangs fantasizes about murdering ______ because he is so self-absorbed.
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) James Taylor.
(c) Reg Presley.
(d) Bob Dylan.
8. The ______ seize the television stations and play all manner of different content, and one station in LA tries to play every movie ever made.
9. Bangs praises the song ______ because he believes it reflects a democratic sexual relationship where the man is concerned with giving the woman an orgasm.
(a) Give it to Me.
(b) T.V. Eye.
(c) Wild Thing.
(d) I Just Sing.
10. Although the essay begins by talking about the _______, the narrator changes the subject to a group called Count Five.
(b) Rolling Stones.
(d) Led Zeppelin.
11. Rock crowds had become convinced that bands were supposed to be objects of ______.
(c) Sexual fantasy.
12. Bangs is using a deception because none of these other Count Five albums existed, and he was comparing himself to a ______ critic.
(a) Astral Weeks.
(c) L.A. Blues.
(d) Rolling Stone.
13. Bangs begins the essay "John Coltrane Lives" by describing a recent practice session with his band and discovering a _______ in the apartment, reminding him of Coltrane.
14. According to Bangs, groups should have resisted the urge to become arty and developed the free style used by _____ musicians.
15. Bangs had written earlier about the Troggs and suggested that they were a ______ band.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs suggests that once groups reach stardom they begin to treat their fans with ______.
2. The song _______ is listed on the first half of the Stooges second album which Bangs describes as the better half of the album.
3. Other critics said of Iggy Pop and the band that the stage show was juvenile and they were musically ______.
4. The narrator of the story Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung is a ______ year old man explaining rock and roll history to his grandchildren.
5. Bangs begins the essay "Do the Godz Speak Esperanto" by discussing ______ records which he believes is the most underground record label in the country.
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)