|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his write up of the song _____, Bangs fantasizes about the lead singer, Reg Presley, living out the lyrics.
(b) I Just Sing.
(c) Wild Thing.
2. The essay "Johnny Ray's Better _______" is a review of a David Bowie concert.
3. Bangs suggests that the genre of rock and roll is naturally ______ and thus musical illiteracy is consistent with rock and roll.
4. In "Of Pop and Pies and Fun", Bangs defends the band that is known as the _______, in particular front man Iggy Pop.
(a) The Animals.
(b) The Stooges.
(c) The Yardbirds.
(d) The Black Crows.
5. Bangs spends almost half of the review of the album talking about the song ______, which Bangs believes is about a transsexual man.
(a) T.V. Eye.
(b) Madame George.
(c) Astral Weeks.
(d) Velvet Underground.
6. Bangs asserts that the live music sounds similar to the studio music except there are long and pointless ______.
(a) Introductions to each song.
(c) Crowd singing sections.
7. The old man also tells his grandchildren that _____ was assassinated at a show in 1973 - two years after the article was written.
(a) Jeff Beck.
(b) Jimmy Page
(c) Jimmy Hendrix.
(d) Eric Clapton.
8. Bangs concludes the essay by suggesting that ______ are making jokes to their listeners that play off all of their darkest fears and fantasies.
(a) Question Mark.
(b) Led Zeppelin.
(c) The Rolling Stones.
(d) The Stooges.
9. Bangs also claims that the Troggs got their name from a group of ______ youth who were living in caves at the time of the band's formation.
10. Rock crowds had become convinced that bands were supposed to be objects of ______.
(d) Sexual fantasy.
11. The Yardbirds were a British Band that launched the musical careers of all of the following guitarists except ______.
(a) Neil Young.
(b) Eric Clapton.
(c) Jeff Beck.
(d) Jimmy Page.
12. The narrator agonizes over buying Count Five's record _____ because it is mediocre but he eventually comes to love it.
(b) Carburetor Dung.
(c) Physical Graffiti.
(d) Psychotic Reaction.
13. Bangs concludes his review of Barry White by comparing White's songs to ______.
14. The band known as the Troggs were responsible for the smash hit ______.
(a) T.V. Eye.
(b) L.A. Blues.
(c) Wild Thing.
(d) Marked for Death.
15. Bangs believes that the Godz third album ________ is a complete descent into acid-rock cliches.
(a) The Third Eye.
(b) The Old Testament.
(c) The Final Testament.
(d) The Third Testament.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lester Bangs compares listening to amazing albums like those produced by Count Five as being similar to a first ______.
2. In reviewing Barry White's new album, Bangs states that White has found yet another way to sing about _____.
3. Bangs admires the Troggs for making innocent _____ songs as well as incredibly sexual music.
4. Bangs finds the lyrics on Jethro Tull's new album "Thick as a _____" to be self -righteous.
5. In writing about the value of old horror movies, Bangs suggests that _____ is just a restriction mean to keep people from enjoying themselves.
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)