|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In writing about the value of old horror movies, Bangs suggests that _____ is just a restriction mean to keep people from enjoying themselves.
(d) Good Taste.
2. Lester Bangs refers to Count Five's album ______ as being their grungiest, and describes the reaction of other critics.
(b) Carburetor Dung.
(c) Psychotic Reaction.
(d) Physical Graffiti.
3. Bangs claims that Count Five released a total of ______ albums and goes on to explain the merits of each.
4. Van Morrison's second album was released in _____ and Bangs reports that it became a source of hope for him.
5. Bangs begins the essay "John Coltrane Lives" by describing a recent practice session with his band and discovering a _______ in the apartment, reminding him of Coltrane.
6. Bangs then reviews James Taylor's album called "_____ Man Dog" and surprisingly defends the album.
7. Bangs suggests that the genre of rock and roll is naturally ______ and thus musical illiteracy is consistent with rock and roll.
8. Bangs feels that Morrison has a unique talent to take a simple phrase and repeat it until it becomes something ______.
9. Bangs writes the latter half of his interview with Slade in an imitation of a _______ cockney accent.
10. The second essay in the book is a review of Van Morrison's second album called _______.
(a) Madame George.
(b) T.V. Eye.
(c) Astral Weeks.
(d) Velvet Underground.
11. The old man also tells his grandchildren that _____ was assassinated at a show in 1973 - two years after the article was written.
(a) Eric Clapton.
(b) Jeff Beck.
(c) Jimmy Hendrix.
(d) Jimmy Page
12. Bangs goes on to review the second album that the Stooges put out called _____ . Bangs admits that the first time he heard the album it sounded like nothing but noise.
(a) L.A. Blues.
(b) Fun House.
(c) T.V. Eye.
(d) Wild Thing.
13. The narrator of the story Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung is a ______ year old man explaining rock and roll history to his grandchildren.
14. Bangs is using a deception because none of these other Count Five albums existed, and he was comparing himself to a ______ critic.
(a) L.A. Blues.
(b) Astral Weeks.
(c) Rolling Stone.
15. Bangs finds the lyrics on Jethro Tull's new album "Thick as a _____" to be self -righteous.
Short Answer Questions
1. The opening acts for David Bowie's concert included such names as Ava Cherrt and _______.
2. In his write up of the song _____, Bangs fantasizes about the lead singer, Reg Presley, living out the lyrics.
3. _______ claims that they are one of the first truly German bands since World War II.
4. Bands describes some of his adolescent ______ exploits as a form of tribute to the power of the Troggs' music.
5. Bangs admires the Troggs for making innocent _____ songs as well as incredibly sexual music.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)