|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bangs purchases a record by _______ and he says it is so bad that "it gets stars for lousiness".
(a) The Godz.
(b) The Starz.
(c) The Heroz.
(d) The Legendz.
2. Clark believes that _____ rock, which Bangs refers to as fag-rock, is mostly just to shock people.
3. The narrator begins the story by talking about how great the music was in the year ______, particularly the Yardbirds.
4. The narrator of the story Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung is a ______ year old man explaining rock and roll history to his grandchildren.
5. In "Chicago at Carnegie Hall, Volumes I,II, III, & IV", Bangs mocks the album as being better as pieces of _____ than a work of music.
(a) Scrap metal.
6. Bangs argues that in order to make rock and roll good again, musicians have to stop trying to respect ______ styles.
7. Van Morrison's second album was released in _____ and Bangs reports that it became a source of hope for him.
8. The old man also tells his grandchildren that _____ was assassinated at a show in 1973 - two years after the article was written.
(a) Jimmy Hendrix.
(b) Eric Clapton.
(c) Jeff Beck.
(d) Jimmy Page
9. Bangs then reviews James Taylor's album called "_____ Man Dog" and surprisingly defends the album.
10. Bangs describes the fact that Iggy Pop transitioned from an imitation of______ on the last album to a more refined and unique form.
(a) Robert Plant.
(b) Lou Reed.
(c) Mick Jagger.
(d) Paul McCartney.
11. Bangs asserts that the live music sounds similar to the studio music except there are long and pointless ______.
(a) Introductions to each song.
(c) Crowd singing sections.
12. Bangs suggests that the song ______ forced listeners to go out and live life instead of just being passive.
(a) Wild Thing.
(b) I Just Sing.
(c) T.V. Eye.
(d) Give it to me.
13. ______ is the singer of the Velvet Underground, the band that Bangs suggested was able to use a free style method.
(a) Lou Reed.
(b) Mick Jagger.
(c) Bob Dylan.
(d) Iggy Pop.
14. Bangs concludes his review of Barry White by comparing White's songs to ______.
15. In the second section of the essay, Bangs suggests that some bands turned from simplistic rock into arty bands, including all of the following except ______.
(a) Led Zeppelin.
(b) Question Mark.
(c) The Yardbirds.
(d) The Mysterians.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bangs suggests that the music of ______ was a natural reaction to the chaos of the late 1960s.
2. Bangs shows his distaste for Bowie's concert by comparing it to a ______ show with black people for props.
3. Bands describes some of his adolescent ______ exploits as a form of tribute to the power of the Troggs' music.
4. Although the essay begins by talking about the _______, the narrator changes the subject to a group called Count Five.
5. In writing about the value of old horror movies, Bangs suggests that _____ is just a restriction mean to keep people from enjoying themselves.
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)