|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Critic Jon Landau dismisses Bangs for his reviews and for his magazine _______ for giving similar albums positive reviews.
(a) Astral Weeks.
(b) L.A. Blues.
(c) Rolling Stone.
2. Bangs believes that David Bowie's concert performance was an attempt to appropriate ______ culture.
3. Bangs claims that Count Five released a total of ______ albums and goes on to explain the merits of each.
4. Bangs is using a deception because none of these other Count Five albums existed, and he was comparing himself to a ______ critic.
(b) Rolling Stone.
(c) Astral Weeks.
(d) L.A. Blues.
5. In "Black _____ Arkansas: Keep the Faith", Bangs admits that he like the band's album when he first heard it.
6. The ______ seize the television stations and play all manner of different content, and one station in LA tries to play every movie ever made.
7. The essay titled "____ Witch" recommends the album because the band are all sexually frustrated "dorks".
8. The band known as the Troggs derived their name from the word ______ which means "cavemen".
9. Bangs shows his distaste for Bowie's concert by comparing it to a ______ show with black people for props.
(c) New York.
10. Bangs suggests that once groups reach stardom they begin to treat their fans with ______.
11. The opening acts for David Bowie's concert included such names as Ava Cherrt and _______.
(a) Herbie Hancock.
(b) Luther Vandross.
(c) Stevie Wonder.
(d) Art Tatum.
12. Bangs concludes his review of Barry White by comparing White's songs to ______.
13. Bangs reviews a concert he attended by Barrie White and states that he came away from the performance _______.
14. Lester Bangs compares listening to amazing albums like those produced by Count Five as being similar to a first ______.
(b) Bike ride.
(d) Time using drugs.
15. In the article "Jethro Tull in ______" Bangs describes how the band has managed to become popular without the benefit of a radio single.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the interview with J. Geils, the band invites Bangs to write ______ as they play an encore.
2. The article "My Night of Ecstasy With the J. Geils Band" talks about Bangs and the staff of ______ trying to figure out how to cover the J. Geils show.
3. The narrator of the story Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung is a ______ year old man explaining rock and roll history to his grandchildren.
4. Bangs suggests in "Kraftwerkfeature" that the natural progression of rock and roll is to turn over to ________.
5. Bangs considers horror movies to be the equivalent of ______ movies and writes a fake L.A. times article detailing an uprising against the television stations.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)