|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lester Bangs refers to Count Five's album ______ as being their grungiest, and describes the reaction of other critics.
(b) Physical Graffiti.
(c) Psychotic Reaction.
(d) Carburetor Dung.
2. In his write up of the song _____, Bangs fantasizes about the lead singer, Reg Presley, living out the lyrics.
(a) Wild Thing.
(c) I Just Sing.
3. Lester Bangs compares listening to amazing albums like those produced by Count Five as being similar to a first ______.
(a) Bike ride.
(b) Time using drugs.
4. The second essay in the book is a review of Van Morrison's second album called _______.
(a) Velvet Underground.
(b) Astral Weeks.
(c) T.V. Eye.
(d) Madame George.
5. Bangs believes that the Godz third album ________ is a complete descent into acid-rock cliches.
(a) The Final Testament.
(b) The Third Eye.
(c) The Old Testament.
(d) The Third Testament.
6. In the second section of the essay, Bangs suggests that some bands turned from simplistic rock into arty bands, including all of the following except ______.
(a) Question Mark.
(b) The Mysterians.
(c) Led Zeppelin.
(d) The Yardbirds.
7. _______ claims that they are one of the first truly German bands since World War II.
8. Bangs suggests that the song called ______ by the Troggs is about a countdown towards sexual penetration.
(a) Wild Thing.
(b) I Just Sing.
9. In "Black _____ Arkansas: Keep the Faith", Bangs admits that he like the band's album when he first heard it.
10. The narrator of the story Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung is a ______ year old man explaining rock and roll history to his grandchildren.
11. Bangs shows his distaste for Bowie's concert by comparing it to a ______ show with black people for props.
(b) New York.
12. The opening acts for David Bowie's concert included such names as Ava Cherrt and _______.
(a) Luther Vandross.
(b) Art Tatum.
(c) Herbie Hancock.
(d) Stevie Wonder.
13. Bangs comes to like the song ______, which he first had dismissed as so much noise.
(a) Rolling Stone.
(b) L.A. Blues.
(c) T.V. Eye.
(d) Fun House.
14. Bangs admires the Troggs for making innocent _____ songs as well as incredibly sexual music.
15. During the interview with J. Geils, the band invites Bangs to write ______ as they play an encore.
(b) In the front row.
(c) On stage.
(d) On a guitar.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator agonizes over buying Count Five's record _____ because it is mediocre but he eventually comes to love it.
2. Bangs goes on to review the second album that the Stooges put out called _____ . Bangs admits that the first time he heard the album it sounded like nothing but noise.
3. In "Chicago at Carnegie Hall, Volumes I,II, III, & IV", Bangs mocks the album as being better as pieces of _____ than a work of music.
4. In his writing, Bangs fantasizes about murdering ______ because he is so self-absorbed.
5. The old man tells his grandchildren that by the end of the 1960s, the Yardbirds had transformed into the band ______.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)