|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bangs suggests that once groups reach stardom they begin to treat their fans with ______.
2. Bangs states that "Station to Station" is ______ 's finest album yet because even if the lyrics are pretentious, the guitar is amazing.
(a) Barry White.
(c) David Bowie.
(d) Luther Vandross.
3. Bangs then reviews James Taylor's album called "_____ Man Dog" and surprisingly defends the album.
4. Bangs suggests that the song ______ forced listeners to go out and live life instead of just being passive.
(a) T.V. Eye.
(b) I Just Sing.
(c) Give it to me.
(d) Wild Thing.
5. Bangs suggests that the genre of rock and roll is naturally ______ and thus musical illiteracy is consistent with rock and roll.
6. Bangs claims that Count Five released a total of ______ albums and goes on to explain the merits of each.
7. The opening acts for David Bowie's concert included such names as Ava Cherrt and _______.
(a) Herbie Hancock.
(b) Stevie Wonder.
(c) Art Tatum.
(d) Luther Vandross.
8. Lester Bangs refers to Count Five's album ______ as being their grungiest, and describes the reaction of other critics.
(a) Psychotic Reaction.
(b) Physical Graffiti.
(d) Carburetor Dung.
9. Dick Clark tells Bangs that he will be around for a long time precisely because he promotes ______ music.
10. In "Black _____ Arkansas: Keep the Faith", Bangs admits that he like the band's album when he first heard it.
11. In "Chicago at Carnegie Hall, Volumes I,II, III, & IV", Bangs mocks the album as being better as pieces of _____ than a work of music.
(c) Scrap metal.
12. Bangs considers horror movies to be the equivalent of ______ movies and writes a fake L.A. times article detailing an uprising against the television stations.
(d) Rock and Roll.
13. Bangs praises the song ______ because he believes it reflects a democratic sexual relationship where the man is concerned with giving the woman an orgasm.
(a) Wild Thing.
(b) Give it to Me.
(c) T.V. Eye.
(d) I Just Sing.
14. Bangs begins the essay "John Coltrane Lives" by describing a recent practice session with his band and discovering a _______ in the apartment, reminding him of Coltrane.
15. Critic Jon Landau dismisses Bangs for his reviews and for his magazine _______ for giving similar albums positive reviews.
(b) L.A. Blues.
(c) Astral Weeks.
(d) Rolling Stone.
Short Answer Questions
1. The old man also tells his grandchildren that _____ was assassinated at a show in 1973 - two years after the article was written.
2. The narrator agonizes over buying Count Five's record _____ because it is mediocre but he eventually comes to love it.
3. In his write up of the song _____, Bangs fantasizes about the lead singer, Reg Presley, living out the lyrics.
4. Bangs concludes his review of Barry White by comparing White's songs to ______.
5. Bands describes some of his adolescent ______ exploits as a form of tribute to the power of the Troggs' music.
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)