|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bangs believes that the Godz third album ________ is a complete descent into acid-rock cliches.
(a) The Third Eye.
(b) The Old Testament.
(c) The Final Testament.
(d) The Third Testament.
2. Bangs was at first offended by the Guess Who's most famous song "______ Woman" but then realized that their willingness to offend the audience is what made them great.
3. The essay "James Taylor Marked for Death" begins with a discussion about the British band called ______.
(a) The Troggs.
(b) The Animals.
(c) The Fugs.
(d) The Stooges.
4. In his write up of the song _____, Bangs fantasizes about the lead singer, Reg Presley, living out the lyrics.
(b) Wild Thing.
(c) I Just Sing.
5. One group that Bangs felt did use a more freestyle approach was ________, but they were among the few.
(a) The Velvet Underground.
(b) Led Zeppelin.
(c) The Mysterians.
(d) Question Mark.
6. Bangs had written earlier about the Troggs and suggested that they were a ______ band.
7. Bangs comes to like the song ______, which he first had dismissed as so much noise.
(a) L.A. Blues.
(b) Rolling Stone.
(c) Fun House.
(d) T.V. Eye.
8. Bangs also claims that the Troggs got their name from a group of ______ youth who were living in caves at the time of the band's formation.
9. In his writing, Bangs fantasizes about murdering ______ because he is so self-absorbed.
(a) Elvis Presley.
(b) Bob Dylan.
(c) Reg Presley.
(d) James Taylor.
10. Dick Clark tells Bangs that he will be around for a long time precisely because he promotes ______ music.
11. Although the essay begins by talking about the _______, the narrator changes the subject to a group called Count Five.
(a) Led Zeppelin.
(b) Rolling Stones.
12. Lester Bangs compares listening to amazing albums like those produced by Count Five as being similar to a first ______.
(a) Time using drugs.
(c) Bike ride.
13. The worst examples of bands that treat their fans poorly Bangs refers to as ______, with James Taylor as the lead person in the group.
14. Bangs praises the song ______ because he believes it reflects a democratic sexual relationship where the man is concerned with giving the woman an orgasm.
(a) Wild Thing.
(b) I Just Sing.
(c) Give it to Me.
(d) T.V. Eye.
15. Bangs argues that _____ 's antics helped to break down the wall between the musician and the listener.
(a) Eric Clapton.
(b) Jimmy Page.
(c) Alice Cooper.
(d) Iggy Pop.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bands describes some of his adolescent ______ exploits as a form of tribute to the power of the Troggs' music.
2. Bangs describes another band, _____, that was able to step into using a freestyle approach partly due to the fact that barely knew how to play their instruments.
3. Clark believes that _____ rock, which Bangs refers to as fag-rock, is mostly just to shock people.
4. In the second section of the essay, Bangs suggests that some bands turned from simplistic rock into arty bands, including all of the following except ______.
5. Bangs finds the lyrics on Jethro Tull's new album "Thick as a _____" to be self -righteous.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)