|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Elizabeth when her parents get divorced?
2. What does Elizabeth long to become?
3. Which drug has Elizabeth decided to "cold-kick?"
4. What does Elizabeth threaten she will do while at summer camp?
5. Where does Elizabeth's father move to after disappearing from New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Dr. Saltenstahl different from many of Elizabeth's other psychologists?
2. Why does Zachary break up with Elizabeth?
3. What does Elizabeth dream after her father disappears?
4. Why do Elizabeth and Jethro decide to take some cocaine?
5. Why does Elizabeth wish she had a real ailment or drug addiction instead of depression?
6. How does Elizabeth feel when she gets on the phone with her father and what do they argue about?
7. What is Graves' disease?
8. Why does Elizabeth start to cut herself?
9. What phrase does Elizabeth would say would have described her perfectly before she "cracked up?"
10. Describe the mood of Elizabeth and her mother on their way to Harvard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elizabeth says the suicide attempt startles even her. Describe the situation leading up to the suicide attempt and her life immediately afterwards.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Elizabeth after the Prozac kicks in. What are her moods like? What is so conscious of all the time?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe Wurtzel's parents' divorce played a role in her depression? Do you think she would have been depressed if they had stayed together? Did their treatment of each other affect her and consequently her depression during her adolescent years? How so? Use specific examples to demonstrate how you believe the divorce did or did not affect her mental health.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)