|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest advantage to seeing Dr. Isaac?
2. What makes Elizabeth's move to Harvard ominous?
3. What floor does Elizabeth live on in her Harvard dorm room?
4. Which one of these things is not one of the things that drives someone to depression, according to Elizabeth?
5. How does Elizabeth describe her depression when she is at Harvard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth think that how her mother treated her was the perfect solution?
2. What does Elizabeth do instead of go to school each morning?
3. What is unusual about her cousin Pamela that she discovers later?
4. Why does Elizabeth wish she had a real ailment or drug addiction instead of depression?
5. How does Elizabeth feel when she gets on the phone with her father and what do they argue about?
6. What does Elizabeth consider her father's first and last act of paternal authority?
7. What does Elizabeth finally become resigned to?
8. What are some of the things that Elizabeth and her father do together before he leaves?
9. Why does Elizabeth want Sam?
10. Describe the mood of Elizabeth and her mother on their way to Harvard.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elizabeth's writing style in the book is unusual. She will jump from a standard font to an italicized one. What impact does this have for the reader? Does it change the tone of the novel? Why or why not? What contribution does it make for the overall story? Does it encourage the reader to relate more to Elizabeth or feel more disconnected from her? Use specific examples from the novel to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Rafe and Elizabeth's relationship worked as well as it did for a time? Explain why their relationship worked due to Rafe's personal family history and how it fit in with Elizabeth's mental state.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Elizabeth after the Prozac kicks in. What are her moods like? What is so conscious of all the time?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)