|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Elizabeth hang out the entire time she is at summer camp?
(a) The locker room at the pool.
(b) The director's office.
(c) The end of the dock.
(d) In the kitchen with the cooks.
2. Why won't her father pay her medical bills?
(a) He doesn't like her psychologist.
(b) It's her mother's responsibility according the divorce agreement.
(c) He doesn't believe she is sick.
(d) He doesn't have the money.
3. Which one of these is NOT something Dr. Isaac says to Elizabeth?
(a) You have a split foundation.
(b) You are a fragmented person.
(c) You're very precocious and sensible.
(d) You are too young to feel all of this misery.
4. Where do Elizabeth and her mother cruise to after she and her boyfriend break up?
(a) The Caribbean.
(c) The Mediterranean.
5. How does Elizabeth describe her depression when she is at Harvard?
(a) A black wave.
(b) A black cloud.
(c) A dying sunflower.
(d) A black diamond.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth's mother attribute her recent changes to?
2. What is Paris's reaction to Elizabeth rant about what it feels like to be depressed?
3. What is the name of the doctor whom Elizabeth sees in Stillman?
4. What is Ruby chasing Elizabeth with?
5. What does Elizabeth have to give up in order to be "shipped to camp" that summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons why the camp director says Elizabeth won't go through with her threat to have a drug overdose while at camp?
2. What phrase does Elizabeth would say would have described her perfectly before she "cracked up?"
3. Describe the mood of Elizabeth and her mother on their way to Harvard.
4. How does physical contact with Abel make Elizabeth feel?
5. Describe the guys that Elizabeth and her friends take up with?
6. How does Elizabeth compensate for her parents' constant arguing?
7. How does Elizabeth feel while describing her family situation to therapists in relation to her depression?
8. At the beginning of the party, what happens to Elizabeth's cat?
9. What is Graves' disease?
10. What does Elizabeth consider her father's first and last act of paternal authority?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)