|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elizabeth describe her life in Cambridge?
(a) A hospital stay in a new country.
(b) Calm and uneventful.
(c) Too exciting for her to tackle her depression.
(d) Boring and dull.
2. According to Elizabeth, her roommate Samantha is a certain kind of "fucked up" -- what is her ailment?
(a) She only dates rich men.
(b) She is a Woman with a Purpose.
(c) She cries all the time.
(d) She cares too much about fashion.
3. Who does Elizabeth call to take her to her birthday party where her mother is?
(a) Matt, her boss.
(b) Pamela, her cousin.
(c) Bruce, her cousin.
(d) Sara, her neighbor.
4. What is Rafe's profession?
(a) He is a writer.
(b) He is a playwright.
(c) He is a student.
(d) He is an actor.
5. What does Elizabeth really want her friends to bring her while at Stillman?
(a) A new journal.
(b) A bottle of liquor.
(c) Cosmopolitan magazine.
(d) The daily newspaper.
6. What do her friends suggest she read instead in order to be happy to be alive?
(a) Henry David Thoreau's Walden.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson's Self-Reliance.
(c) Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass.
(d) Herman Melville's Moby Dick.
7. Which fairy tale does her new apartment remind Elizabeth of?
(a) Snow White.
(b) Red Riding Hood.
(c) The Princess and the Pea.
(d) The Ugly Duckling.
8. Which of these is NOT a book that Elizabeth is taking with her?
(a) Freud's "Totem and Taboo."
(b) Derrida's "Margins of Philosophy."
(c) Homer's "Odyssey."
(d) Milan Kundera's "The Book of Laughter and Forgetting."
9. What does Dr. Sterling talk about with Elizabeth's father?
(a) Better parenting skills.
(b) Elizabeth's depression.
10. Who does Elizabeth say is a mannequin with a few human functions?
(b) Dr. Sterling.
(d) Her father.
11. What other movie does Elizabeth cry at continuously when she is younger?
(a) The Natural.
(c) On Golden Pond.
(d) Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
12. What does Elizabeth refuse to do now?
(a) Take any more of her drugs.
(b) Go to class.
(c) Get better.
(d) Talk with anyone.
13. Which one of these things does Elizabeth NOT swear off while in Cambridge?
(a) Bad influences.
14. Which drug does Dr. Sterling give her for her anxiety while at Stillman?
15. How does Elizabeth chose her doctor since she cannot have Dr. Saltenstahl?
(a) She gets a consultation with a number of practitioners.
(b) Her mother has found a specialist for her.
(c) Dr. Saltenstahl recommends her.
(d) She is set up specifically for Harvard students only.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Elizabeth's mother?
2. Who calls who?
3. How much money does Elizabeth's mother give her as she is leaving?
4. What has clearly been a failure for Dr. Sterling?
5. How much time passes before Elizabeth and Rafe talk again?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)