|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a way that Elizabeth cracked up while in Dallas?
(a) She returns personal phone calls while at work all day.
(b) She regularly has drug overdoses.
(c) She walks into work at three in the afternoon.
(d) She is tearing through a number of new boyfriends each week.
2. Who does Elizabeth date after Rafe?
(c) No one.
3. What is Elizabeth studying at Harvard?
(a) Creative Writing.
(b) Comparative Literature.
4. What year does Elizabeth move to Texas?
5. Who does Dr. Sterling contact with Elizabeth's permission?
(a) Her first psychologist.
(c) Her father.
(d) Pamela, her cousin.
6. What has really happened to Elizabeth?
(a) Her roomate is lying dead next to her from a gunshot wound.
(b) She is having a miscarriage.
(c) She tried to commit suicide in her sleep.
(d) Her roomate is making fun of her depression.
7. Elizabeth believes that Rafe relishes being her personal __________.
8. What do her friends suggest she read instead in order to be happy to be alive?
(a) Herman Melville's Moby Dick.
(b) Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson's Self-Reliance.
(d) Henry David Thoreau's Walden.
9. Which one of these is not a form of speed that Elizabeth craves?
10. Which drug does Dr. Sterling put Elizabeth on next due to her mental state?
11. Who does Elizabeth call to take her to her birthday party where her mother is?
(a) Sara, her neighbor.
(b) Matt, her boss.
(c) Bruce, her cousin.
(d) Pamela, her cousin.
12. According to Elizabeth, her roommate Samantha is a certain kind of "fucked up" -- what is her ailment?
(a) She is a Woman with a Purpose.
(b) She cares too much about fashion.
(c) She only dates rich men.
(d) She cries all the time.
13. What job does Elizabeth take at night while in Harvard?
(a) Working job security two nights a week.
(b) Waiting tables two nights a week.
(c) Writing music reviews for the Harvard newspaper.
(d) Playing DJ to a local small club.
14. What happens in the world simultaneously when Elizabeth wakes up in blood?
(a) Iranian hostages hijack an American plane.
(b) The stock market crashes 508 points.
(c) Kurt Cobain from Nirvana kills himself.
(d) The World Trade Center is bombed.
15. What makes him very different from Rafe?
(a) He is at her house all the time.
(b) He is obsessed with her.
(c) He is an orphan.
(d) He hates her depressive episodes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Debi Thomas?
2. What does Manuel say that Elizabeth must see before leaving London?
3. Which section of London does Manuel live?
4. Who wrote "Love is not a victory march / It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah."
5. Who does she call, telling him/her that she is going straight to his/her apartment and needs a decent dinner because she cannot take care of herself?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)