|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rafe's profession?
(a) He is a writer.
(b) He is an actor.
(c) He is a student.
(d) He is a playwright.
2. Which television show wants her to come on as a guest?
(a) Phil Donahue.
(b) Sally Jesse Raphael.
(d) Jerry Springer.
3. Who calls who?
(a) Their mutual friend Jim calls Elizabeth on behalf of Rafe
(b) Elizabeth's friend Ruby calls Rafe to convince him to call Elizabeth.
(c) Rafe calls Elizabeth.
(d) Elizabeth calls Rafe.
4. To whom does Elizabeth lose her virginity?
(a) A young, good-looking guy she spent hours talking to one night -- but never got his name.
(b) The drummer from the Butthole Surfers.
(c) Noah, her friend from Harvard with whom she often takes Ectasy.
(d) A recent Yale graduate she met at the Rolling Stone College Journalism Award luncheon.
5. Who does Elizabeth say is a mannequin with a few human functions?
(c) Her father.
(d) Dr. Sterling.
6. Which of these is NOT a way that Elizabeth cracked up while in Dallas?
(a) She walks into work at three in the afternoon.
(b) She regularly has drug overdoses.
(c) She is tearing through a number of new boyfriends each week.
(d) She returns personal phone calls while at work all day.
7. Who does Elizabeth call to take her to her birthday party where her mother is?
(a) Sara, her neighbor.
(b) Bruce, her cousin.
(c) Pamela, her cousin.
(d) Matt, her boss.
8. What do her friends suggest she read instead in order to be happy to be alive?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson's Self-Reliance.
(b) Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass.
(c) Herman Melville's Moby Dick.
(d) Henry David Thoreau's Walden.
9. "And the thing about my mom is that she's totally nuts, but she's very _________."
10. Who does she call, telling him/her that she is going straight to his/her apartment and needs a decent dinner because she cannot take care of herself?
11. What does Dr. Sterling talk about with Elizabeth's father?
(b) Elizabeth's depression.
(c) Better parenting skills.
12. Who does Elizabeth call after getting off the phone with her mother?
(a) Her father.
(c) Her roommate Alden.
(d) Her ex-boyfriend Stone.
13. What does Elizabeth immediately think when she wakes up in blood.
(a) That she is dying.
(b) That it is paint.
(c) That someone has killed her.
(d) That it is a joke.
14. Who does Dr. Sterling contact with Elizabeth's permission?
(a) Her first psychologist.
(c) Pamela, her cousin.
(d) Her father.
15. How does Elizabeth describe her life in Cambridge?
(a) A hospital stay in a new country.
(b) Too exciting for her to tackle her depression.
(c) Calm and uneventful.
(d) Boring and dull.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elizabeth date after Rafe?
2. How does Elizabeth describe Rafe's mother?
3. What has clearly been a failure for Dr. Sterling?
4. What does Stone suggest is happening to her?
5. What job does Elizabeth take at night while in Harvard?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)