|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elizabeth chose her doctor since she cannot have Dr. Saltenstahl?
(a) Her mother has found a specialist for her.
(b) Dr. Saltenstahl recommends her.
(c) She gets a consultation with a number of practitioners.
(d) She is set up specifically for Harvard students only.
2. Which one of these are not a worry Elizabeth faces with Dr. Sterling?
(a) That she is being ignored.
(b) That her abstaining from self-destruction has made her boring
(c) That she isn't entertaining enough.
(d) That she shares her stories with her husband each night.
3. Who does Elizabeth call after getting off the phone with her mother?
(a) Her roommate Alden.
(b) Her ex-boyfriend Stone.
(d) Her father.
4. To whom does Elizabeth lose her virginity?
(a) A young, good-looking guy she spent hours talking to one night -- but never got his name.
(b) Noah, her friend from Harvard with whom she often takes Ectasy.
(c) The drummer from the Butthole Surfers.
(d) A recent Yale graduate she met at the Rolling Stone College Journalism Award luncheon.
5. "Instead of being Depressed Girl, I'm _______ Girl."
6. What is Elizabeth studying at Harvard?
(a) Creative Writing.
(d) Comparative Literature.
7. What do her friends suggest she read instead in order to be happy to be alive?
(a) Henry David Thoreau's Walden.
(b) Ralph Waldo Emerson's Self-Reliance.
(c) Herman Melville's Moby Dick.
(d) Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass.
8. What are Elizabeth's main symptoms in Stillman?
(a) Anxiety and agitation.
(b) Suicidal thoughts and hallucinations.
(c) Depression and alcoholism.
(d) Drug and alcohol addiction.
9. What gives Elizabeth a renewed sense of hope?
(a) Rafe comes back to her.
(b) Her parents reconcile.
(c) She thinks Stillman is her future home for good.
(d) She can look up her disease in a book.
10. What famous band does Elizabeth interview while in Deep Ellum.
(a) The Butthole Surfers.
(b) The Red Hot Chili Peppers.
(d) The Rolling Stones.
11. How much money does Elizabeth's mother give her as she is leaving?
12. What does Elizabeth say madness is really like?
(a) Gorgeous, celebral craziness.
(b) A long road to nowhere in particular.
(c) A wild roller coaster with no end in sight.
(d) Pure dullness, tedium straight up.
13. Which one of these is not a form of speed that Elizabeth craves?
14. Which section of London does Manuel live?
15. What is the name of the next new pill that Elizabeth must try?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elizabeth date after Rafe?
2. What is Rafe's profession?
3. What does Elizabeth NOT compare madness to?
4. How much time passes before Elizabeth and Rafe talk again?
5. Who wrote "Love is not a victory march / It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah."
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)