|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elizabeth say madness is really like?
(a) Pure dullness, tedium straight up.
(b) Gorgeous, celebral craziness.
(c) A wild roller coaster with no end in sight.
(d) A long road to nowhere in particular.
2. What does Dr. Sterling talk about with Elizabeth's father?
(b) Elizabeth's depression.
(d) Better parenting skills.
3. Which of these is NOT a side effect associated with drugs created to treat depression?
(a) Weight gain.
(b) Suicidal thoughts.
(c) Blurred vision.
4. What happens to Elizabeth's mother?
(a) She has a drug overdose.
(b) She's in a bad car accident.
(c) She is robbed.
(d) She loses her job.
5. How does Elizabeth describe her life in Cambridge?
(a) A hospital stay in a new country.
(b) Too exciting for her to tackle her depression.
(c) Boring and dull.
(d) Calm and uneventful.
6. Where is she dropped off after the break up?
(a) Their mutual friend Jim's apartment.
(b) The bus station.
(c) A rental car agency.
(d) The airport.
7. What were the only good thing about Sundays for Elizabeth when she lived on campus?
(a) Sleeping and catching up on homework.
(b) Pancakes in the cafeteria.
(c) Brunch at the mess hall.
(d) Cocoa Krispies.
8. Who does Dr. Sterling contact with Elizabeth's permission?
(a) Her first psychologist.
(b) Her father.
(d) Pamela, her cousin.
9. How does Elizabeth chose her doctor since she cannot have Dr. Saltenstahl?
(a) She is set up specifically for Harvard students only.
(b) She gets a consultation with a number of practitioners.
(c) Dr. Saltenstahl recommends her.
(d) Her mother has found a specialist for her.
10. Who does Elizabeth call after getting off the phone with her mother?
(b) Her ex-boyfriend Stone.
(c) Her roommate Alden.
(d) Her father.
11. What does Elizabeth really want her friends to bring her while at Stillman?
(a) A bottle of liquor.
(b) Cosmopolitan magazine.
(c) A new journal.
(d) The daily newspaper.
12. Elizabeth says she comes from a family of:
13. Which of these is NOT a book that Elizabeth is taking with her?
(a) Milan Kundera's "The Book of Laughter and Forgetting."
(b) Freud's "Totem and Taboo."
(c) Homer's "Odyssey."
(d) Derrida's "Margins of Philosophy."
14. What is the name of the next new pill that Elizabeth must try?
15. What is Elizabeth's diagnosis?
(b) Atypical depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does she call, telling him/her that she is going straight to his/her apartment and needs a decent dinner because she cannot take care of herself?
2. Who does Elizabeth say is a mannequin with a few human functions?
3. Which of these is NOT a way that Elizabeth cracked up while in Dallas?
4. What does Barnaby offer Elizabeth when she arrives?
5. Which one of these things does Elizabeth NOT swear off while in Cambridge?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)