|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Archer is so flawlessly handsome that he actually seems ______________.
2. Which character does Elizabeth envy sexually?
(a) The Kelly McGillis character in Top Gun.
(b) The Julia Roberts character in Pretty Woman.
(c) The Meg Ryan character in When Harry Met Sally.
(d) The Kim Basinger character in 9 1/2 Weeks.
3. Which one of these is NOT a couple that Elizabeth mentions always falling for one another?
(a) Samson will always fall for Delilah.
(b) Sid will always find Nancy.
(c) Clyde will always find his Bonnie.
(d) F. Scott will always recognize his Zelda.
4. How does Elizabeth describe her life in Cambridge?
(a) Boring and dull.
(b) Calm and uneventful.
(c) A hospital stay in a new country.
(d) Too exciting for her to tackle her depression.
5. "Everything I touch, I ruin. I'm ______________."
(a) Midas in reverse.
(b) The queen of ruining everything I know.
(c) A walking disaster.
6. Which of these is NOT a book that Elizabeth is taking with her?
(a) Milan Kundera's "The Book of Laughter and Forgetting."
(b) Homer's "Odyssey."
(c) Freud's "Totem and Taboo."
(d) Derrida's "Margins of Philosophy."
7. According to Elizabeth, her roommate Samantha is a certain kind of "fucked up" -- what is her ailment?
(a) She only dates rich men.
(b) She is a Woman with a Purpose.
(c) She cares too much about fashion.
(d) She cries all the time.
8. Elizabeth says she comes from a family of:
9. Which drug does Dr. Sterling put Elizabeth on next due to her mental state?
10. What book is Elizabeth reading when she is in the infirmary?
(a) Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar.
(b) Virginia Woolf's A Room of One's Own.
(c) Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man and The Sea.
(d) Margaret Atwood's Surfacing.
11. What has clearly been a failure for Dr. Sterling?
(a) Permitting her to go to London.
(b) Not institutionalizing Elizabeth.
(c) The Mellaril experiment.
(d) All of her treatment ideas with Elizabeth.
12. What does Elizabeth say madness is really like?
(a) Pure dullness, tedium straight up.
(b) Gorgeous, celebral craziness.
(c) A wild roller coaster with no end in sight.
(d) A long road to nowhere in particular.
13. "Instead of being Depressed Girl, I'm _______ Girl."
14. To whom does Elizabeth lose her virginity?
(a) Noah, her friend from Harvard with whom she often takes Ectasy.
(b) A young, good-looking guy she spent hours talking to one night -- but never got his name.
(c) A recent Yale graduate she met at the Rolling Stone College Journalism Award luncheon.
(d) The drummer from the Butthole Surfers.
15. What gives Elizabeth a renewed sense of hope?
(a) Her parents reconcile.
(b) She can look up her disease in a book.
(c) Rafe comes back to her.
(d) She thinks Stillman is her future home for good.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Samantha's ex-boyfriend?
2. What is Rafe's profession?
3. What has really happened to Elizabeth?
4. What does Stone suggest is happening to her?
5. What is Elizabeth biggest problem with Prozac initially?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)