|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Gorgias's occupation?
2. What did Meno say he became infected with while talking to Socrates?
3. Whom were the only people claiming to teach virtue at the time of Socrates?
4. What major element did Socrates use in his argument against Protagoras?
5. What did Socrates claim was impossible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anytus say about people who went to sophists for learning?
2. What did Anytus say after hearing the news of Protagoras's death?
3. Why did Meno not like the idea of virtuous living involving the acquisition of nothing?
4. What did Protagoras feel ashamed about after Socrates' statements about poetry?
5. How did Socrates define shape?
6. How did Socrates use the idea of geometry in his discussion about pleasure?
7. Why did Socrates say he could not teach virtue?
8. Why did Socrates say cowards did not fight in battles?
9. About what did Anytus warn Socrates?
10. How did Meno try to define virtue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Plato presented his moral and idea in the form of a conversational setting. Why did he choose to do this, and how did this affect his message?
Essay Topic 2
How did Protagoras's way of expression differ from Socrates' and how did this change the effectiveness of his message?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of relationship did Socrates have with Hippocrates, and what effect did this have on his encounter with Socrates?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)