|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the goddess of the dead?
2. What did Socrates teach to a person while talking with Meno?
3. Why did Socrates say he could not teach virtue?
4. With whom was Protagoras especially popular?
5. Why did Socrates say men liked to look at dancers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Socrates say about immediate pleasures?
2. What did Meno compare his conversation to Socrates with, and why?
3. What was ironic about Socrates bringing up a poem from Pindar?
4. What was the first thing Meno asked Socrates?
5. How did Meno try to define virtue?
6. Why did Meno not like the idea of virtuous living involving the acquisition of nothing?
7. What did Socrates say happened when we learned new things?
8. What was Meno's main complaint while talking to Socrates?
9. What did Socrates do with Meno to try to discover what virtue was?
10. About what did Anytus warn Socrates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hippocrates was a person whose minor presence made a big difference in the discussion. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Education was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow education to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)