|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Socrates say holiness was not?
2. To what did Protagoras say men should have a spirit of holiness?
(a) Virtuous living.
(b) The gods.
(d) Their ancestors.
3. Why did Protagoras say many ordinary men were not virtuous?
(a) They were not naturally born with it.
(b) They did not see the lessons in their life.
(c) They were too busy.
(d) They were never taught.
4. What is the first question Socrates had for Protagoras?
(a) Why he was a sophist.
(b) Where he came from.
(c) What will he teach Hippocrates?
(d) Where he was going.
5. What did Callias not allow Socrates to do?
(a) Insult Protagoras.
(b) Use fables to prove a point.
(c) Enroll his son in Protagoras's program.
(d) Leave his house,
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the poem about Simonides brought up?
2. What problem did Socrates see with Protagoras's program?
3. Who changed the method of inquiry in the dialogue between Socrates and Protagoras?
4. What did Protagoras have to do to be allowed to answer questions again?
5. What did Socrates compare men to after Protagoras said there are some good things and some bad things for man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Protagoras's big talent during the dialogue?
2. Whom did Simonides criticize in his poem?
3. Why did Hippocrates stop by Socrates' house late at night?
4. How did Protagoras think men got their wisdom?
5. How did Socrates respond when a door was slammed in his face?
6. What did Socrates do when he was questioned by Protagoras?
7. Why did Socrates say he did not think Protagoras could teach virtue?
8. What frustrated Socrates when he was speaking with Protagoras?
9. How did Protagoras say he would teach boys virtue?
10. What was Socrates' big talent during the dialogue?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)