|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Prodicus say gave him true praise?
(a) Agreeing in debates.
(b) Hearing their party win.
(c) Seeing students become wise.
(d) Listening to intelligent discussions.
2. As what did Protagoras say he could teach people to be better?
(a) Being citizens.
(b) Being soldiers.
(c) Being students.
(d) Being men.
3. What did Protagoras do when he got upset with Socrates?
(a) Walked away.
(b) Stopped speaking.
(c) Asked for support from his colleagues.
(d) Gave a long speech.
4. What do families say sophists take away from them?
(a) Their unity.
(b) Their beliefs.
(c) Their youth.
(d) Their values.
5. Why was the poem about Simonides brought up?
(a) To prove Protagoras's point.
(b) To reveal a social interchange.
(c) To show the depth of education.
(d) To change the subject.
6. What did Protagoras say every man had access to?
7. What frustrated Socrates most when talking to Protagoras?
(a) He did not listen to opposition.
(b) He broke everything into pieces.
(c) He gave long speeches.
(d) He stood while speaking.
8. What kind of speeches was Protagoras good at giving?
(a) Memorized speeches.
(b) Rhetorical speeches.
(c) Symbolic speeches.
(d) All of the answers are correct.
9. What was the main question Socrates asked Hippocrates when he came by the house late at night?
(a) What will he teach you?
(b) What do you want in life?
(c) What have you done about this?
(d) How will you pay for this?
10. What did Socrates say holiness was not?
11. Who said Simonides thought noble men were bad?
12. What did Protagoras say men received at the creation?
13. What did Simonides write?
14. How did the audience respond to Protagoras's speech about virtue?
(a) They applauded.
(b) They waited for Socrates to counter.
(c) They booed him.
(d) They fell asleep.
15. What did Callias not allow Socrates to do?
(a) Use fables to prove a point.
(b) Insult Protagoras.
(c) Enroll his son in Protagoras's program.
(d) Leave his house,
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Socrates compare men to after Protagoras said there are some good things and some bad things for man?
2. What was the main idea about being something?
3. Why did so many men want to become sophists?
4. What did Socrates warn Hippocrates about when he came to the house late at night?
5. What did Socrates have to do to be allowed to ask questions again?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)