|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Protagoras say evil men should be punished?
(a) To protect others.
(b) To please the gods.
(c) To show authority.
(d) To promote virtue.
2. What did Protagoras say the animals received at the creation?
3. What is the first question Socrates had for Protagoras?
(a) Why he was a sophist.
(b) What will he teach Hippocrates?
(c) Where he came from.
(d) Where he was going.
4. What did Simonides say it was hard to do?
(a) Become a good man.
(b) Love another person.
(c) Live a fair life.
(d) Explain one's thoughts.
5. What did Hippocrates tell Socrates when he stopped by the house late at night?
(a) The police were looking for him.
(b) He needed a new change.
(c) Plato was looking for him.
(d) Protagoras was coming.
6. Why did Protagoras say it never paid to conceal sophist beliefs?
(a) Everyone would find out.
(b) Lies are contrary to the soul.
(c) The idea will stifle and die.
(d) They are natural and correct.
7. What problem did Socrates see with Protagoras's program?
(a) Specific problems need specific skills.
(b) The time line was too long.
(c) It was too vague.
(d) There was no balance in the ideals.
8. What did Protagoras NOT want Socrates to do in their dialogue?
(a) Give speeches.
(b) Answer questions.
(c) Take notes.
(d) Ask questions.
9. Why were sophists accused of taking something away from families?
(a) They teach strange ideas.
(b) They are bold and loud.
(c) They teach in far away places.
(d) They teach young pupils.
10. Why did Socrates say temperance could not be a part of virtue?
(a) Some people did not like it.
(b) It was too controversial.
(c) There were too many definitions.
(d) It was the opposite of wisdom.
11. Why did so many men want to become sophists?
(a) All of the answers are correct.
(b) They wanted to be more persuasive.
(c) They wanted to be good speakers.
(d) They wanted to become politicians.
12. What did Protagoras say boys should learn while learning to read?
13. What poet did Protagoras say was really a dophist?
(c) All of these.
14. How often did Protagoras say his students would improve?
15. What is a portico?
(a) A large porch.
(b) A mythological monster.
(c) A rare mineral.
(d) A Greek wine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Socrates say his short memory did not allow him to do?
2. What did Socrates say holiness was not?
3. What was the main question Socrates asked Hippocrates when he came by the house late at night?
4. What was Pericles' occupation?
5. How did Socrates feel about virtue being separated into parts?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)