|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think Catherine has inherited?
(a) More than Claire, but Claire is not sure how much more.
(b) One half.
(c) One quarter.
(d) Less than Claire, but Claire is not sure how much less.
2. Whose handwriting does Claire think the proof is written in?
(a) Hal' handwriting.
(b) Robert's handwriting.
(c) Her own handwriting.
(d) Catherine's handwriting.
3. What is the date in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) March 4th.
(b) January 4th.
(c) June 4th.
(d) September 4th.
4. What are the subjects of the proof?
(a) The inverse relationships between love and hate.
(b) The speed of light.
(c) Warm months, cold months, and students in bookstores.
(d) Atomic subatomic forces.
5. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She tries to destroy the notebook.
(b) She tries to detroy the house.
(c) She tries to destroy her relationship with Robert.
(d) She tries to destroy her relationship with Claire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire think about Hal's suggestion to check the proof?
2. When does Act 2, Scene 3 take place?
3. Why does Claire give the object to Hal?
4. Why is Catherine adamant that Robert could not have written the proof?
5. Why can't Robert concentrate in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
2. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
3. Does Hal believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
4. What does Claire think is the problem with mathematicians in emotional situations?
5. What decision has Catherine made about school?
6. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
7. How does Catherine meet Hal?
8. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
9. Did Hal intentionally take advantage of Catherine when they slept together?
10. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)