|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire ask Hal to do before he leaves?
(a) She asks him never to come back.
(b) She asks him to come visit in New York.
(c) She asks him to explain the proof to her.
(d) She asks him to come visit in Chicago.
2. In whose notebook is the proof written?
(a) In Hal's notebook.
(b) In Catherine's notebook.
(c) In Robert's notebook.
(d) In Claire's notebook.
3. When does Act 2, Scene 4 take place?
(a) Three and a half years earlier than Act 2, Scene 3.
(b) Immediately after Act 2, Scene 3.
(c) Immediately before Act 2, Scene 3.
(d) Three and a half years later than Act 2, Scene 3.
4. What was Robert secretly terrified of, in regards to his career?
(a) He was afraid that Hal would rise up and steal his glory.
(b) He was afraid that he would never work again.
(c) He was afraid that he would never get a break from work.
(d) He was afraid that Catherine would get credit for his ideas.
5. How far behind in school is Catherine, according to Robert?
(a) At least a year.
(b) At least a month.
(c) At least two years.
(d) At least two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire think about Hal's suggestion to check the proof?
2. When does Act 2, Scene 3 take place?
3. Why has Catherine waited so long to inform Robert of her plans?
4. Who does Hal encounter when he comes back to the house?
5. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Robert decided to write on the porch?
2. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
3. What decision has Catherine made about school?
4. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
5. How do Robert's feelings differ between Catherine and Claire?
6. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
7. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
8. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
9. Why is Robert so excited about working?
10. What do Robert and Catherine decide to do for dinner?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)