|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire think about Hal's suggestion to check the proof?
(a) Claire thinks his suggestion is excellent--who better to check the proof than mathematicians who knew Robert?
(b) Claire thinks his suggestion is terrible--she does not have time to go to trial.
(c) Claire thinks his suggestion is excellent--no one will be able to validate the authoship better than Robert.
(d) Claire thinks his suggestions is terrible--how could Catherine possibly recite the proof from memory?
2. What does Robert love about bookstores in September?
(a) He loves how precisely and quickly students find the books they are looking for.
(b) The smell of coffee that wafts outside.
(c) He loves how empty the bookstores are.
(d) He loves watching the students browsing throughout an afternoon.
3. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She tries to destroy the notebook.
(b) She tries to detroy the house.
(c) She tries to destroy her relationship with Claire.
(d) She tries to destroy her relationship with Robert.
4. What is the stage direction for Catherine reading the proof?
(a) Quietly, in disbelief.
(b) Slowly, without inflection.
(c) Vivaciously, with excitement.
(d) Quickly and angrily.
5. What does Claire concede to Hal at the end of their conversation?
(a) She agrees to let him visit Catherine in Chicago.
(b) She agrees to let him call Catherine in New York.
(c) She agress to let him visit Catherine in New York.
(d) She agrees to let him call Catherine in Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Catherine's drawer locked?
2. How does Hal want to check the proof?
3. Why has Claire delayed her flight back home?
4. Why is Catherine adamant that Robert could not have written the proof?
5. What is she paying for tuition?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Catherine write the proof?
2. Does Hal believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
3. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
4. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
5. What does Claire think is the problem with mathematicians in emotional situations?
6. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
7. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
8. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
9. Where has Catherine come from to check on Robert?
10. What decision has Catherine made about school?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)