|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Catherine come to the house?
(a) She just happened to be driving by.
(b) She and Robert had planned to have dinner.
(c) She missed home and wanted to visit.
(d) No one picked up the phone when she called, and she got worried.
2. When does Act 2, Scene 3 take place?
(a) The day after Act 2, Scene 2.
(b) The day of Act 1, Scene 1.
(c) The day of Act 2, Scene 2.
(d) The day before Act 2, Scene 2.
3. What does Robert love about bookstores in September?
(a) He loves how empty the bookstores are.
(b) The smell of coffee that wafts outside.
(c) He loves how precisely and quickly students find the books they are looking for.
(d) He loves watching the students browsing throughout an afternoon.
4. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
(a) She insulted and upset him.
(b) He wants her to read the proof aloud, and she does not want to.
(c) He does not understand her mathematics, and gets upset.
(d) He wants her to go on a walk with him, but she will not.
5. Where does Robert joke that Chicago beer comes from?
(a) A secret brewery.
(b) Lake Michigan.
(d) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object does Claire give to Hal before he leaves?
2. Does Hal believe Catherine could have written the proof?
3. Robert says he is satisfied with Claire, but he is _______ of/with/to Catherine?
4. What was Robert secretly terrified of, in regards to his career?
5. How far behind in school is Catherine, according to Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
2. Describe Robert's demeanor throughout the scene.
3. What decision has Catherine made about school?
4. Did Hal intentionally take advantage of Catherine when they slept together?
5. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
6. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
7. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
8. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
9. When did Catherine write the proof?
10. What do Robert and Catherine decide to do for dinner?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)