|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far behind in school is Catherine, according to Robert?
(a) At least two years.
(b) At least two months.
(c) At least a year.
(d) At least a month.
2. Why does Claire give the object to Hal?
(a) She is trying to win his love.
(b) She wants to sabotage Catherine.
(c) She is hiding the object from Robert.
(d) She thinks someone needs to find out what is in it.
3. In whose notebook is the proof written?
(a) In Claire's notebook.
(b) In Catherine's notebook.
(c) In Hal's notebook.
(d) In Robert's notebook.
4. What is Catherine's explanation as to why she wrote the proof?
(a) She was so excited about math and life that the ideas could not be stopped.
(b) She was depressed because she had to quit school and move home, and decided she could learn the math herself.
(c) She was jealous of Robert and vowed that she could come up with something better.
(d) She does not claim to have written the proof.
5. Why does Claire resent mathematicians?
(a) She is a writer, and believes the arts are more important than sciences.
(b) She is a physicist, and the resent between the two professions runs deep.
(c) She is jealous of mathematicians' talent, and wishes she could be a mathematician herself.
(d) She feels that mathematicians do not think their actions through.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
2. Does Hal think he took advantage of Catherine by sleeping with her?
3. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think Catherine has inherited?
4. When Claire asks Catherine to recite the proof, how does Catherine reply?
5. What is the time period in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
2. When did Catherine write the proof?
3. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
4. Where has Catherine come from to check on Robert?
5. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
6. Why has Robert decided to write on the porch?
7. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
8. Describe Robert's demeanor throughout the scene.
9. Why is Claire worried about Catherine?
10. Is Robert upset that Catherine plans to leave? Why or why not?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)