|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Catherine's drawer locked?
(a) The drawer is full of important legal documents.
(b) The key to the drawer has long been lost.
(c) The drawer is a place where she keeps private things.
(d) The drawer contains Robert's greatest works.
2. When does Act 2, Scene 3 take place?
(a) The day before Act 2, Scene 2.
(b) The day of Act 1, Scene 1.
(c) The day of Act 2, Scene 2.
(d) The day after Act 2, Scene 2.
3. How does Hal want to check the proof?
(a) He wants Catherine to recite it to him from memory.
(b) He wants to sit down with Robert and have a heart to heart.
(c) He wants to take it to some mathematicians at the university who are all familiar with Robert and his work.
(d) He wants to present the proof as evidence in the pending trial over its authorship.
4. What has Catherine missed to come back to the house?
(a) She has missed her favorite television program.
(b) She has missed a shift at work.
(c) She has missed a class.
(d) She has missed a date.
5. What does Robert love about bookstores in September?
(a) The smell of coffee that wafts outside.
(b) He loves watching the students browsing throughout an afternoon.
(c) He loves how precisely and quickly students find the books they are looking for.
(d) He loves how empty the bookstores are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
2. Why is Hal skeptical about Catherine's claim?
3. Does Hal think he took advantage of Catherine by sleeping with her?
4. Why does Claire give the object to Hal?
5. Where is Robert sitting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
2. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
3. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
4. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
5. How do Robert's feelings differ between Catherine and Claire?
6. Does Hal believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
7. What is Robert examining in the proof?
8. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
9. Why has Robert decided to write on the porch?
10. How does Catherine meet Hal?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)