|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hal huffy when Claire guesses why he has come to the house?
(a) He dislikes Catherine and does not want Claire to speak of her.
(b) He wants to see Catherine, but feels it is his professional duty to collect the notebook.
(c) He hates Claire and never wants her to speak to him again.
(d) He has come exclusively to see Catherine, and does not care about the notebook at all.
2. When does Act 2, Scene 3 take place?
(a) The day before Act 2, Scene 2.
(b) The day after Act 2, Scene 2.
(c) The day of Act 2, Scene 2.
(d) The day of Act 1, Scene 1.
3. What has Catherine missed to come back to the house?
(a) She has missed a class.
(b) She has missed a shift at work.
(c) She has missed a date.
(d) She has missed her favorite television program.
4. What object does Claire give to Hal before he leaves?
(a) The notebook.
(b) A plane ticket.
(c) A coffee cup.
(d) A sheet of paper.
5. In whose notebook is the proof written?
(a) In Robert's notebook.
(b) In Catherine's notebook.
(c) In Hal's notebook.
(d) In Claire's notebook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Catherine's drawer locked?
2. What does Catherine ask Robert to do, after he shows her his latest ideas in the notebook?
3. What does Robert insist on, though it is freezing cold outside?
4. Robert says he feels like no time has passed since he was...
5. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision has Catherine made about school?
2. Where has Catherine come from to check on Robert?
3. When did Catherine write the proof?
4. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
5. Why or why not does Catherine want to attend the University of Chicago?
6. What do Robert and Catherine decide to do for dinner?
7. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
8. What does Claire think is the problem with mathematicians in emotional situations?
9. Why is Robert so excited about working?
10. What is Robert examining in the proof?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)