|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert compare his creativity to?
(a) Sitting on a geyser.
(b) Walking down the street.
(c) Jumping onto a train.
(d) Falling asleep in bed.
2. What was Robert secretly terrified of, in regards to his career?
(a) He was afraid that Hal would rise up and steal his glory.
(b) He was afraid that he would never get a break from work.
(c) He was afraid that Catherine would get credit for his ideas.
(d) He was afraid that he would never work again.
3. When does Act 2, Scene 4 take place?
(a) Three and a half years earlier than Act 2, Scene 3.
(b) Immediately before Act 2, Scene 3.
(c) Immediately after Act 2, Scene 3.
(d) Three and a half years later than Act 2, Scene 3.
4. What has Catherine missed to come back to the house?
(a) She has missed a date.
(b) She has missed a shift at work.
(c) She has missed her favorite television program.
(d) She has missed a class.
5. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
(a) He wants her to read the proof aloud, and she does not want to.
(b) She insulted and upset him.
(c) He wants her to go on a walk with him, but she will not.
(d) He does not understand her mathematics, and gets upset.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire concede to Hal at the end of their conversation?
2. Where does Catherine reveal she is going to school?
3. Whose handwriting does Claire think the proof is written in?
4. What does Catherine ask Robert to do, after he shows her his latest ideas in the notebook?
5. Why has Catherine come to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision has Catherine made about school?
2. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
3. Describe Robert's demeanor throughout the scene.
4. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
5. Why or why not does Catherine want to attend the University of Chicago?
6. Did Hal intentionally take advantage of Catherine when they slept together?
7. What do Robert and Catherine decide to do for dinner?
8. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
9. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
10. Why has Robert decided to write on the porch?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)