|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object does Claire give to Hal before he leaves?
(a) A sheet of paper.
(b) A plane ticket.
(c) The notebook.
(d) A coffee cup.
2. In whose notebook is the proof written?
(a) In Hal's notebook.
(b) In Claire's notebook.
(c) In Robert's notebook.
(d) In Catherine's notebook.
3. Who does Hal think has written the proof?
4. What is Catherine's explanation as to why she wrote the proof?
(a) She was depressed because she had to quit school and move home, and decided she could learn the math herself.
(b) She was so excited about math and life that the ideas could not be stopped.
(c) She was jealous of Robert and vowed that she could come up with something better.
(d) She does not claim to have written the proof.
5. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
(a) He asks her to leave him alone.
(b) He asks her to stay out of his research.
(c) He asks her to move back home.
(d) He asks her to work with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think she has inherited?
2. Whose handwriting does Claire think the proof is written in?
3. Why doesn't Claire believe Catherine about the proof?
4. What does Hal have to give to Robert?
5. Who will help her pay for living expenses--books, food, gas, etc?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Catherine write the proof?
2. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
3. Where has Catherine come from to check on Robert?
4. How does Catherine meet Hal?
5. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
6. What decision has Catherine made about school?
7. Does Hal believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
8. How do Robert's feelings differ between Catherine and Claire?
9. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
10. Why is Robert so excited about working?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)