|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire think about Hal's relationship with Catherine?
(a) She thinks Hal should be in a relationship with her, not Catherine.
(b) She thinks Hal and Catherine would have a beautiful relationship if they could just give it a chance.
(c) She thinks Catherine is fragile and Hal took complete advantage of her.
(d) She thinks Catherine made a huge mistake in marrying Hal.
2. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think she has inherited?
(a) One-one thousandth.
(b) One-one hundredth.
3. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
(a) He does not understand her mathematics, and gets upset.
(b) He wants her to go on a walk with him, but she will not.
(c) He wants her to read the proof aloud, and she does not want to.
(d) She insulted and upset him.
4. What does Robert say is finally working again?
(a) His television.
(b) His eyes, which have been bothering him.
(c) The machinery, or, his mathematical genius.
(d) The radiators.
5. What does Hal have to give to Robert?
(a) A book he borrowed back before Robert's illness.
(b) An invitation to a party where his band is playing.
(c) A manila envelope containing a rough draft of his thesis.
(d) A get well soon card.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stage direction for Catherine reading the proof?
2. What does Claire do for a living?
3. Where is Robert sitting?
4. How does Hal want to check the proof?
5. Why does Claire resent mathematicians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Robert examining in the proof?
2. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
3. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
4. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
5. What do Robert and Catherine decide to do for dinner?
6. What does Claire think is the problem with mathematicians in emotional situations?
7. Why is Robert so excited about working?
8. Why is Claire worried about Catherine?
9. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
10. Why has Robert decided to write on the porch?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)