|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine's explanation as to why she wrote the proof?
(a) She was jealous of Robert and vowed that she could come up with something better.
(b) She was so excited about math and life that the ideas could not be stopped.
(c) She was depressed because she had to quit school and move home, and decided she could learn the math herself.
(d) She does not claim to have written the proof.
2. What does Catherine say to Hal that causes him to leave abruptly, and without the notebook?
(a) She says that he killed Robert and she can prove it.
(b) She says that she loves him and always has, and wants to marry him as soon as possible.
(c) She says that she does not approve of his relationship with Claire.
(d) She says that he barely finished his Ph.D., does research that does not matter, and played in an awful band.
3. Robert says he feels like no time has passed since he was...
(d) A child.
4. Why doesn't Claire believe Catherine about the proof?
(a) She thinks Catherine is emotionally unstable.
(b) She wrote the proof herself.
(c) She knows that Robert wrote the proof--he told her before his death.
(d) She knows that Catherine is terrible at mathematics.
5. Does Hal go with them to dinner?
(a) Yes, they have a lovely time.
(b) No, he needs to take his thesis back and work on it.
(c) Yes, but he is uncomfortable and leaves before dinner arrives.
(d) No, he can't, he has plans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose handwriting does Claire think the proof is written in?
2. What is the lighting cue at the end of the scene?
3. Who will help her pay for living expenses--books, food, gas, etc?
4. What does Catherine request for dinner?
5. What time of year is it in Act 2, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Catherine write the proof?
2. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
3. Did Hal intentionally take advantage of Catherine when they slept together?
4. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
5. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
6. What does Claire think is the problem with mathematicians in emotional situations?
7. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
8. Is Robert upset that Catherine plans to leave? Why or why not?
9. Why has Robert decided to write on the porch?
10. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)