|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert insist on, though it is freezing cold outside?
(a) He wants to go for a walk with Catherine.
(b) He wants to go over the proof with Catherine on the porch.
(c) He wants to pitch a tent outside and camp.
(d) He wants to sit on the porch and stargaze.
2. Why does Claire trust Hal with the object?
(a) She thinks he is an idiot, but not dishonest.
(b) She is in love with him and would believe anything he says.
(c) She has no idea.
(d) She cannot trust Robert with the object and Hal is the next best choice.
3. What has Catherine missed to come back to the house?
(a) She has missed a shift at work.
(b) She has missed a date.
(c) She has missed a class.
(d) She has missed her favorite television program.
4. What is Catherine's explanation as to why she wrote the proof?
(a) She was jealous of Robert and vowed that she could come up with something better.
(b) She does not claim to have written the proof.
(c) She was so excited about math and life that the ideas could not be stopped.
(d) She was depressed because she had to quit school and move home, and decided she could learn the math herself.
5. What is the stage direction for Catherine reading the proof?
(a) Quickly and angrily.
(b) Vivaciously, with excitement.
(c) Slowly, without inflection.
(d) Quietly, in disbelief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Catherine waited so long to inform Robert of her plans?
2. Does Hal think he took advantage of Catherine by sleeping with her?
3. What does Catherine ask Robert to do, after he shows her his latest ideas in the notebook?
4. In whose notebook is the proof written?
5. Why is Hal huffy when Claire guesses why he has come to the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
2. What is Robert examining in the proof?
3. Where has Catherine come from to check on Robert?
4. What does Claire think is the problem with mathematicians in emotional situations?
5. Did Hal intentionally take advantage of Catherine when they slept together?
6. What do Robert and Catherine decide to do for dinner?
7. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
8. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
9. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
10. Why is Robert so excited about working?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)