|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
(a) In the mental facility.
(b) In her marriage.
(c) In school.
(d) In New York City.
2. Why is Claire concerned after speaking with the policemen?
(a) The policemen have a new break in the case over Robert's death.
(b) They forced their way into Catherine's house, breaking things and trying to intimidate Catherine.
(c) The policemen have Catherine in custody, and she must pay the bail.
(d) They claimed Catherine was rude and abusive when they responded to her 911 call the evening before.
3. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
(a) She wants to go straight to New York.
(b) She wants to have people over to the house.
(c) She wants to go straight to Boston.
(d) She wants to have a quiet evening at home, just she and Catherine.
4. Why is Hal hesitant after Catherine asks him about sex at the Conference?
(a) He is not sure if she likes him, and plans to give her a lie detector test to find out.
(b) He dislikes her and does not want to talk about sex.
(c) He is not sure that she is flirting with him, and does not want to make a bad impression.
(d) He dislikes her and is thinking of a way to leave.
5. What organic chemical(s) is contained in the beauty product Claire wishes Catherine to try?
(b) Green tea extract.
(c) Vitamins and minerals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire want Catherine to do?
2. Who is Sophie Germain?
3. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
4. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
5. Whose idea was it to have the band play at the house after the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
2. Why is Hal insistent on going through all of Robert's notebooks?
3. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
4. Why has Hal decided that Catherine wrote the proof?
5. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
6. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
7. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
8. How is Claire's personality different from Catherine's?
9. How does Catherine describe Robert's mathematical processes?
10. Why or why not does Catherine want to attend the University of Chicago?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)