|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
(a) She wants to go straight to Boston.
(b) She wants to have people over to the house.
(c) She wants to go straight to New York.
(d) She wants to have a quiet evening at home, just she and Catherine.
2. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
(a) She needs Catherine to help organize the upcoming wedding.
(b) She is worried that Catherine is upset and exhausted, and living in Chicago is bad for her mental health.
(c) She never wants to come back to Chicago to visit.
(d) She wants to get a two bedroom apartment so they can live together again.
3. How does Catherine treat the police officers?
(a) She is rude and borderline abusive.
(b) She is extremely polite.
(c) She is very timid and quiet.
(d) She is outgoing and inviting.
4. At the beginning of the scene, what does Hal bring for Catherine to drink?
5. Who is Sophie Germain?
(a) A woman who published great mathematical works under a pseudonym during the French Revolution.
(b) A woman Catherine previously thought was her mother.
(c) A woman who teaches at the University of Chicago and was very close to Robert.
(d) A woman whose husband stole her ideas and published her work under his name.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claire doing with the house?
2. What was Claire trying to do in her conversation with Catherine?
3. What does Hal do after Catherine quotes Gauss' letter to Sophie Germain?
4. What did Catherine think of Hal the first time they met?
5. Why is Claire selling the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Hal found in the locked drawer, and why is it so important?
2. Why is Claire so worried when Catherine cannot explain the police presence at the house the night before?
3. What does Robert reveal about Catherine's state of mind in the first scene?
4. What is Hal's song Imaginary Number?
5. Why does Hal think his papers get turned down for publication?
6. Does Hal think he will still have the next great mathematical revelation?
7. Why is Hal's entrance at the end of the scene helpful for Catherine?
8. Why is Hal insistent on going through all of Robert's notebooks?
9. How does Catherine describe Robert's mathematical processes?
10. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)