|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
(a) A puppy.
2. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
3. What is Claire's relationship to Catherine?
(a) She is Catherine's sister.
(b) She is the housekeeper.
(c) She is Catherine's mother.
(d) She is Catherine's best friend.
4. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
(a) She wants to get a two bedroom apartment so they can live together again.
(b) She needs Catherine to help organize the upcoming wedding.
(c) She is worried that Catherine is upset and exhausted, and living in Chicago is bad for her mental health.
(d) She never wants to come back to Chicago to visit.
5. Is Catherine pleased that Hal kisses her?
(a) Yes, she has been in love with him since they first met four years ago.
(b) No, she promptly throws her beer at him and runs.
(c) Yes, she kisses him back at the end of the scene.
(d) No, she has no interest in him whatsoever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Robert keep requesting that Catherine check out library books for him?
2. What does Hal discover in the notebook?
3. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
4. Why is Catherine upset with Claire at the end of Scene 2?
5. In her conversation with Robert, why is Catherine worried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Robert was a graphomaniac. What does that mean?
2. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
3. How is Claire's personality different from Catherine's?
4. Why is Hal's entrance at the end of the scene helpful for Catherine?
5. Who did Claire want to care for Robert during his illness, and who actually cared for him?
6. How does Hal describe the mathematicians at his conferences?
7. How does Catherine describe Robert's mathematical processes?
8. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
9. Describe Catherine's reaction when she discovers the notebook.
10. Why has Hal come to the house?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)