|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Is Catherine pleased that Hal kisses her?
(a) Yes, she has been in love with him since they first met four years ago.
(b) No, she has no interest in him whatsoever.
(c) No, she promptly throws her beer at him and runs.
(d) Yes, she kisses him back at the end of the scene.
2. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
(b) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
(c) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(d) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
3. How does Catherine take her coffee?
(b) With sugar and cream.
(c) With only sugar.
(d) With only cream.
4. How does Catherine treat the police officers?
(a) She is extremely polite.
(b) She is outgoing and inviting.
(c) She is very timid and quiet.
(d) She is rude and borderline abusive.
5. Who paid the mortgage on the house during Robert's illness?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
2. How did Robert die?
3. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
4. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
5. What is Catherine's relation to Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire plan to do with the house?
2. Describe Hal's mood the morning after he and Catherine sleep together.
3. Why is Claire so worried when Catherine cannot explain the police presence at the house the night before?
4. How does Hal describe the mathematicians at his conferences?
5. Why does Hal try to take the notebook?
6. What does Robert reveal about Catherine's state of mind in the first scene?
7. Why does Hal think his papers get turned down for publication?
8. When did Hal and Catherine first meet?
9. What is Hal's song Imaginary Number?
10. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)