|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
(b) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(c) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
(d) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
2. What did Catherine think of Hal the first time they met?
(a) She thought she loved him.
(b) She thought he was not boring.
(c) She thought he talked too much.
(d) She thought he was terribly boring.
3. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
(a) She needs Catherine to help organize the upcoming wedding.
(b) She never wants to come back to Chicago to visit.
(c) She wants to get a two bedroom apartment so they can live together again.
(d) She is worried that Catherine is upset and exhausted, and living in Chicago is bad for her mental health.
4. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
(a) No one apologizes--they are still in a fight.
(b) They apologize to each other--they both handled the situation poorly.
(c) Hal apologizes to Catherine--he should not have tried to take the notebook.
(d) Catherine apologizes to Hal--she should not have called the police.
5. Why did Hal not attempt to pursue Catherine after their initial meeting?
(a) He was in love with Claire.
(b) He did not initially like Catherine at all, and avoided her at all costs.
(c) He disliked Robert, and assumed he would dislike Catherine as well.
(d) He did not feel it was appropriate to flirt with his doctoral advisor's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Imaginary Number, or i?
2. What organic chemical(s) is contained in the beauty product Claire wishes Catherine to try?
3. How old was Robert when his illness began?
4. What was Robert's occupation?
5. What were the police told when they responded to Catherine's 9-1-1 call?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Catherine treats the police when they arrive.
2. Are Claire and Catherine very comfortable around one another?
3. Why does Hal try to take the notebook?
4. What does Robert reveal about Catherine's state of mind in the first scene?
5. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
6. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
7. What is Hal's excuse for kissing Catherine?
8. Why is Hal insistent on going through all of Robert's notebooks?
9. Why is Claire so worried when Catherine cannot explain the police presence at the house the night before?
10. Why is Hal sensitive about getting older?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)