|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hal at the house in Scene 1?
(a) He has been working on a math problem.
(b) He has been going through Robert's notebooks.
(c) He has been going on dates with Catherine.
(d) He has been fixing the heating system.
2. Why is Hal hesitant after Catherine asks him about sex at the Conference?
(a) He is not sure if she likes him, and plans to give her a lie detector test to find out.
(b) He dislikes her and is thinking of a way to leave.
(c) He is not sure that she is flirting with him, and does not want to make a bad impression.
(d) He dislikes her and does not want to talk about sex.
3. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
(a) Catherine apologizes to Hal--she should not have called the police.
(b) Hal apologizes to Catherine--he should not have tried to take the notebook.
(c) No one apologizes--they are still in a fight.
(d) They apologize to each other--they both handled the situation poorly.
4. What does Claire think of Hal when Catherine first tries to explain the events of the previous night?
(a) She thinks Catherine may be in a fight with him.
(b) She thinks Hal is a delinquent.
(c) She thinks Catherine may have imagined him.
(d) She thinks Hal sounds lovely, and hopes Catherine will want to have a double wedding.
5. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
(a) Awkward toward each other.
(b) Neither of them remember what happened last night.
(c) They absolutely despise each other.
(d) Very happy with each other and planning a wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Claire given Catherine to wear to the funeral?
2. What time of day does Catherine's conversation with Robert occur?
3. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
4. How did Hal and Catherine meet four years ago?
5. Why does Hal attempt to steal the notebook?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hal think his papers get turned down for publication?
2. Robert was a graphomaniac. What does that mean?
3. Why does Catherine demand to see Hal's backpack? Does she find anything?
4. Describe Hal's mood the morning after he and Catherine sleep together.
5. What does Catherine give to Hal that morning? Where has Catherine been keeping the object ?
6. What does Claire plan to do with the house?
7. What is Hal's excuse for kissing Catherine?
8. How does Hal describe the mathematicians at his conferences?
9. Who did Claire want to care for Robert during his illness, and who actually cared for him?
10. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)