|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hal and Catherine meet four years ago?
(a) At a supermarket in the frozen foods aisle.
(b) He was dropping off his thesis for Robert's perusal.
(c) At a party on campus.
(d) Catherine was in one of his classes.
2. How does Catherine take her coffee?
(b) With only cream.
(c) With only sugar.
(d) With sugar and cream.
3. What is Claire's relationship to Catherine?
(a) She is Catherine's sister.
(b) She is Catherine's best friend.
(c) She is the housekeeper.
(d) She is Catherine's mother.
4. Who is Sophie Germain?
(a) A woman who teaches at the University of Chicago and was very close to Robert.
(b) A woman whose husband stole her ideas and published her work under his name.
(c) A woman who published great mathematical works under a pseudonym during the French Revolution.
(d) A woman Catherine previously thought was her mother.
5. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Catherine think of Hal the first time they met?
2. What is Imaginary Number, or i?
3. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
4. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
5. What does Catherine give to Hal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Catherine treats the police when they arrive.
2. What does Claire plan to do with the house?
3. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
4. Why has Hal come to the house?
5. Why does Hal try to take the notebook?
6. How does Catherine describe Robert's mathematical processes?
7. What does Catherine give to Hal that morning? Where has Catherine been keeping the object ?
8. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
9. Are Claire and Catherine very comfortable around one another?
10. Why does Catherine demand to see Hal's backpack? Does she find anything?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)