|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
(a) She fears that Catherine will move to New York City.
(b) She fears Catherine's brute strength, because they have fought many times before.
(c) She fears that Catherine will run away.
(d) She fears that Catherine is talented, but tends toward instability like Robert.
2. Whose idea was it to have the band play at the house after the funeral?
(a) Robert's idea.
(b) Catherine's idea.
(c) Claire's idea.
(d) Hal's idea.
3. Why is Hal at the house in Scene 1?
(a) He has been working on a math problem.
(b) He has been fixing the heating system.
(c) He has been going through Robert's notebooks.
(d) He has been going on dates with Catherine.
4. What instrument does Hal play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The piano.
(c) The drums.
(d) The bass.
5. How old is Catherine turning?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Robert's occupation?
2. Where does Scene 1 take place?
3. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
4. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
5. What mathematical principle is associated with Sophie Germain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine describe Robert's mathematical processes?
2. Does Hal think he will still have the next great mathematical revelation?
3. Describe how Catherine treats the police when they arrive.
4. What does Catherine give to Hal that morning? Where has Catherine been keeping the object ?
5. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
6. Why is Hal's entrance at the end of the scene helpful for Catherine?
7. Why is Hal insistent on going through all of Robert's notebooks?
8. What is Hal's excuse for kissing Catherine?
9. How does Hal describe the mathematicians at his conferences?
10. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)