|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Hal not attempt to pursue Catherine after their initial meeting?
(a) He did not feel it was appropriate to flirt with his doctoral advisor's daughter.
(b) He did not initially like Catherine at all, and avoided her at all costs.
(c) He disliked Robert, and assumed he would dislike Catherine as well.
(d) He was in love with Claire.
2. How many notebooks did Robert leave behind?
3. At the beginning of the scene, what does Hal bring for Catherine to drink?
4. What is a graphomaniac?
(a) A person who compulsively writes, though the writing may make no sense.
(b) A person who cannot abide the sight of paper.
(c) A person who makes lots and lots of graphs.
(d) A person who hates writing and avoids it at all costs.
5. Why does Hal attempt to steal the notebook?
(a) He plans to sell the notebook and make a profit.
(b) He wants to wrap it, and give it to Catherine as a birthday present.
(c) He wants to publish the ideas in the notebook as his own.
(d) He wants to keep the notebook for sentimental reasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hal find the notebook?
2. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
3. What is Claire's relationship to Catherine?
4. Who paid the mortgage on the house during Robert's illness?
5. What is Catherine wearing at the top of the scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
2. Who did Claire want to care for Robert during his illness, and who actually cared for him?
3. Describe how Catherine treats the police when they arrive.
4. Why does Hal think his papers get turned down for publication?
5. Describe Hal's mood the morning after he and Catherine sleep together.
6. Robert was a graphomaniac. What does that mean?
7. Why does Hal try to take the notebook?
8. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
9. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
10. What does Catherine give to Hal that morning? Where has Catherine been keeping the object ?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)