|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
(a) He never actually enters in the scene.
(b) He arrives in the middle.
(c) He arrives in the end.
(d) He arrives in the beginning.
2. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
(a) In her marriage.
(b) In school.
(c) In the mental facility.
(d) In New York City.
3. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
(a) Nervous; he was dropping off his thesis for her father to check.
(b) Confused; he did not have any idea who she was.
(c) Angry; he's hoped to meet Robert alone.
(d) Happy; he'd specifically set up the meeting to talk to her.
4. What does Claire think Hal is to Catherine?
(a) She thinks he is her best friend.
(b) She thinks he is her professor.
(c) She thinks he is a police officer.
(d) She thinks he is her boyfriend.
5. When is Claire's wedding, and where?
(a) August, in Boston.
(b) June, in Chicago.
(c) January, in New York City.
(d) November, in Miami.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hal's full name?
2. What is Claire's finance's name?
3. What does Hal do after Catherine quotes Gauss' letter to Sophie Germain?
4. According to the letter Catherine has memorized, is Gauss pleased to discover the letters he has received are from a woman?
5. Why did Claire stay up so late?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Catherine give to Hal that morning? Where has Catherine been keeping the object ?
2. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
3. What is Hal's song Imaginary Number?
4. What does Claire plan to do with the house?
5. Why does Hal try to take the notebook?
6. Why does Hal think his papers get turned down for publication?
7. How is Claire's personality different from Catherine's?
8. Why is Hal insistent on going through all of Robert's notebooks?
9. Describe Hal's mood the morning after he and Catherine sleep together.
10. Why does Catherine demand to see Hal's backpack? Does she find anything?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)