|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
(a) Hal apologizes to Catherine--he should not have tried to take the notebook.
(b) Catherine apologizes to Hal--she should not have called the police.
(c) No one apologizes--they are still in a fight.
(d) They apologize to each other--they both handled the situation poorly.
2. Who is Sophie Germain?
(a) A woman who published great mathematical works under a pseudonym during the French Revolution.
(b) A woman Catherine previously thought was her mother.
(c) A woman whose husband stole her ideas and published her work under his name.
(d) A woman who teaches at the University of Chicago and was very close to Robert.
3. What name does Claire call Catherine by?
4. What was Robert's occupation?
(a) A mathematician and teacher at the University of Chicago.
(b) A plumber and handyman in Chicago.
(c) A physicist at New York University.
(d) A salesman in Boston.
5. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
(a) She fears that Catherine will move to New York City.
(b) She fears that Catherine will run away.
(c) She fears that Catherine is talented, but tends toward instability like Robert.
(d) She fears Catherine's brute strength, because they have fought many times before.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hal and Catherine meet four years ago?
2. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
3. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
4. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
5. What is the lighting direction at the end of the scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. Robert was a graphomaniac. What does that mean?
2. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
3. Why does Hal try to take the notebook?
4. Why does Hal think his papers get turned down for publication?
5. Why does Catherine demand to see Hal's backpack? Does she find anything?
6. Does Hal think he will still have the next great mathematical revelation?
7. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
8. How is Claire's personality different from Catherine's?
9. Are Claire and Catherine very comfortable around one another?
10. Why is Claire so worried when Catherine cannot explain the police presence at the house the night before?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)