|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Robert's occupation?
(a) A salesman in Boston.
(b) A physicist at New York University.
(c) A mathematician and teacher at the University of Chicago.
(d) A plumber and handyman in Chicago.
2. What is Claire's relationship to Catherine?
(a) She is Catherine's mother.
(b) She is the housekeeper.
(c) She is Catherine's best friend.
(d) She is Catherine's sister.
3. Why is Claire concerned after speaking with the policemen?
(a) They claimed Catherine was rude and abusive when they responded to her 911 call the evening before.
(b) They forced their way into Catherine's house, breaking things and trying to intimidate Catherine.
(c) The policemen have a new break in the case over Robert's death.
(d) The policemen have Catherine in custody, and she must pay the bail.
4. What time of day does Catherine's conversation with Robert occur?
(a) Between 2:00PM and 3:00PM.
(b) Between 12:00AM and 1:00AM.
(c) Between 7:00AM and 8:00AM.
(d) Between 9:00PM and 10:00PM.
5. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
(b) A puppy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
2. Is Catherine pleased that Hal kisses her?
3. What name does Claire call Catherine by?
4. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
5. What has become Claire's fiance's new hobby?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hal's mood the morning after he and Catherine sleep together.
2. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
3. What does Robert reveal about Catherine's state of mind in the first scene?
4. What has Hal found in the locked drawer, and why is it so important?
5. Who is Sophie Germain?
6. Describe how Catherine treats the police when they arrive.
7. Why is Hal's entrance at the end of the scene helpful for Catherine?
8. What is Hal's song Imaginary Number?
9. Why is Claire so worried when Catherine cannot explain the police presence at the house the night before?
10. Are Claire and Catherine very comfortable around one another?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)