|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hal do after Catherine quotes Gauss' letter to Sophie Germain?
(a) He throws down his beer in anger.
(b) He exits.
(c) He laughs at her.
(d) He kisses her.
2. How old was Robert when his illness began?
(a) Thirty or thirty-one.
(b) Sixteen or seventeen.
(c) Fifty-five or fifty-six.
(d) Twenty-three or twenty-four.
3. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
(b) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
(c) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(d) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
4. Is Catherine pleased that Hal kisses her?
(a) No, she has no interest in him whatsoever.
(b) Yes, she kisses him back at the end of the scene.
(c) No, she promptly throws her beer at him and runs.
(d) Yes, she has been in love with him since they first met four years ago.
5. What time of day does Catherine's conversation with Robert occur?
(a) Between 7:00AM and 8:00AM.
(b) Between 2:00PM and 3:00PM.
(c) Between 9:00PM and 10:00PM.
(d) Between 12:00AM and 1:00AM.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Claire's finance's name?
2. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
3. Why is Catherine upset with Claire at the end of Scene 2?
4. Who paid the mortgage on the house during Robert's illness?
5. What organic chemical(s) is contained in the beauty product Claire wishes Catherine to try?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Claire worried about Catherine?
2. Is Catherine happy about moving?
3. Why does Hal think his papers get turned down for publication?
4. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
5. Why is Robert so excited about working?
6. What does Catherine give to Hal that morning? Where has Catherine been keeping the object ?
7. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
8. How do Robert's feelings differ between Catherine and Claire?
9. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
10. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)