|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who paid the mortgage on the house during Robert's illness?
2. Where does Scene 1 take place?
(a) The back porch of a house in New York
(b) The basement of a house in Chicago
(c) The basement of a house in New York
(d) The back porch of a house in Chicago
3. Where does Hal find the notebook?
(a) Locked in a safe deposit box in the kitchen.
(b) Locked in a filing cabinet in the basement.
(c) Locked in a chest in Catherine's room.
(d) Locked in a drawer in Robert's study.
4. What does Catherine give to Hal?
(a) A backpack filled with notebooks.
(b) A key to the bottom drawer of the desk in Robert's office.
(c) A ring that belonged to her mother.
(d) A cup of coffee meant for Claire.
5. What instrument does Hal play?
(a) The piano.
(b) The bass.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The drums.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hal's excuse for kissing Catherine?
2. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
3. What was Claire trying to do in her conversation with Catherine?
4. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
5. What mathematical principle is associated with Sophie Germain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sophie Germain?
2. What does Claire plan to do with the house?
3. What is Hal's song Imaginary Number?
4. Robert was a graphomaniac. What does that mean?
5. Does Hal think he will still have the next great mathematical revelation?
6. When did Hal and Catherine first meet?
7. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
8. What does Robert reveal about Catherine's state of mind in the first scene?
9. Why does Hal think his papers get turned down for publication?
10. What does Catherine give to Hal that morning? Where has Catherine been keeping the object ?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)