|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who paid the mortgage on the house during Robert's illness?
2. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
(a) A briefcase and a parka.
(b) A laptop computer.
(c) A backpack and a folded jacket.
(d) A bouquet of flowers and a card.
3. What does Claire make Catherine for breakfast?
(b) Bagels, fruit, and coffee.
(c) Bacon and eggs.
(d) Nothing; as far as she is concerned, Catherine can make her own breakfast.
4. What does Catherine insist on searching before Hal leaves?
(a) His wallet.
(b) His briefcase.
(c) His computer files.
(d) His backpack.
5. Why does Hal attempt to steal the notebook?
(a) He wants to wrap it, and give it to Catherine as a birthday present.
(b) He wants to keep the notebook for sentimental reasons.
(c) He plans to sell the notebook and make a profit.
(d) He wants to publish the ideas in the notebook as his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hal unhappy with his own work?
2. How does Catherine take her coffee?
3. Where did Hal go to the mathematician conference?
4. Who was Claire drinking with the night before?
5. What was Robert's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Claire plan to do with the house?
2. Why does Hal think his papers get turned down for publication?
3. Who did Claire want to care for Robert during his illness, and who actually cared for him?
4. Why is Hal sensitive about getting older?
5. How does Catherine describe Robert's mathematical processes?
6. Why has Hal come to the house?
7. Who is Sophie Germain?
8. Why is it strange that Catherine and Robert are speaking in the beginning of the first scene?
9. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
10. When did Hal and Catherine first meet?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)