|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
2. What is a constant that an elected official must understand?
3. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
4. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
5. What is the example of some advice Kennedy received when he first became a Congressman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
2. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
3. What personal weakness does Kennedy point out about John Quincey Adams?
4. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
5. Detail the important political positions held by Sam Houston.
6. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
7. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
8. What does Kennedy identify as a difficult situation after a candidate is voted into the senate?
9. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
10. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the most courageous person you have ever met.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting Daniel Webster's seeing nothing wrong with taking money from special interests and Sam Rayburn's refusal to take even government money for House trips. You can look up Sam Rayburn on Wikipedia.
Essay Topic 3
Write a narrative about what it must have been like for Sam Houston to live with the Cherokee as a boy.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)