|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What earned Houston the name of traitor and pro-Abolitionist?
2. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
3. What is ironic about Houston as an Indian fighter?
4. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
5. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kennedy identify as a difficult situation after a candidate is voted into the senate?
2. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
3. What does Kennedy point out as interesting about letter John Quincey wrote at ages nine and forty-five?
4. Relate how Benton survived an attempt on his life by another senator.
5. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
6. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
7. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
8. Why was John Quincey Adams' relationship with Thomas Jefferson so strange?
9. Was Houston able to prevent Texas from seceding from the Union?
10. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about a great example of political compromise in the history of the world. (You choose the topic.)
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on why a person cannot be arrested and tried for something that was not identified as a crime when he or she did it.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)