|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
2. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
3. What made Sam Houston a household word in the United States?
4. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
5. What metaphor does Kennedy use to describe the relationship between the elected official and the electorate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
2. How does the book reflect John Kennedy's admiration for certain former U.S. Senators?
3. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
4. What metaphor does Kennedy use illustrating the elected official and constituency relationship?
5. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
6. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
7. Write down the epithet that testified to the intelligence of Thomas Hart Benton.
8. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
9. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
10. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a two page paper on three people you believe should be in a future book on profiles in courage.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on your personal idea of courage. Use some example from your life or that you know about personally.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the most courageous person you have ever met.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)