|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did one reporter categorize elected officials?
2. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
3. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
4. What action by Texas brought about the end of Houston's career?
5. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
2. How does the book reflect John Kennedy's admiration for certain former U.S. Senators?
3. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
4. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
5. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
6. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
7. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
8. Was Houston able to prevent Texas from seceding from the Union?
9. What are the three pressures Kennedy identifies for any elected official?
10. Aside from being Senator from Massachusetts, what was Daniel Webster known for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about a time when you found it necessary to compromise.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the most courageous person you have ever met.
Essay Topic 3
Critics proclaimed Kennedy's book as being a-political. What did they mean by that and do you agree? Write your answer in a one-page, type written, double spaced paper.
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)