|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
2. What action by Texas brought about the end of Houston's career?
3. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
4. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
5. After Houston's removal from the Senate, what office did he run for and win as an independent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
2. Write down the epithet that testified to the intelligence of Thomas Hart Benton.
3. Discus the results of Benton's not voting for the annexation of Texas.
4. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
5. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
6. Aside from being Senator from Massachusetts, what was Daniel Webster known for?
7. What are the three pressures Kennedy identifies for any elected official?
8. If Webster's popularity was an asset, how does Kennedy point out that it was also a liability?
9. Detail the important political positions held by Sam Houston.
10. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Critics proclaimed Kennedy's book as being a-political. What did they mean by that and do you agree? Write your answer in a one-page, type written, double spaced paper.
Essay Topic 2
Connect the annexation of Texas, the addition of Oregon, and the Kansas-Nebraska Bill and show why they were so politically hot issues.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the most courageous person you have ever met.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)