|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Sam Houston a household word in the United States?
2. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
3. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
4. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
5. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
Short Essay Questions
1. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
2. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
3. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
4. Write down the epithet that testified to the intelligence of Thomas Hart Benton.
5. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
6. What great stand did Webster take against the wishes of his abolitionist constituents?
7. What are the three pressures Kennedy identifies for any elected official?
8. What does Kennedy identify as a difficult situation after a candidate is voted into the senate?
9. Why was it so easy for him to go and live with the Indians?
10. Why was John Quincey Adams' relationship with Thomas Jefferson so strange?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay contrasting Daniel Webster's seeing nothing wrong with taking money from special interests and Sam Rayburn's refusal to take even government money for House trips. You can look up Sam Rayburn on Wikipedia.
Essay Topic 2
Interview and write about a fireman who has faced serious danger.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about courage in sports.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)