|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
2. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
3. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
4. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
5. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
2. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
3. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
4. Write down the epithet that testified to the intelligence of Thomas Hart Benton.
5. Relate how Benton survived an attempt on his life by another senator.
6. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
7. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
8. Discus the results of Benton's not voting for the annexation of Texas.
9. How does the book reflect John Kennedy's admiration for certain former U.S. Senators?
10. Why was it so easy for him to go and live with the Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the presidencies of John Adams and John Quincey Adams and the presidencies of George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush.
Essay Topic 2
Write a narrative about what it must have been like for Sam Houston to live with the Cherokee as a boy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about courage in sports.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)