|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
2. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
3. Where did Houston say he wanted it written that he loved his country, he was a patriot, and he was devoted to the Union.
4. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
5. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What great stand did Webster take against the wishes of his abolitionist constituents?
2. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
3. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
4. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
5. What personal weakness does Kennedy point out about John Quincey Adams?
6. What are the three pressures Kennedy identifies for any elected official?
7. How does the book reflect John Kennedy's admiration for certain former U.S. Senators?
8. What does Kennedy point out as interesting about letter John Quincey wrote at ages nine and forty-five?
9. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
10. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the difference between compromising methods and compromising ideals.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about a great example of political compromise in the history of the world. (You choose the topic.)
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on your personal idea of courage. Use some example from your life or that you know about personally.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)