|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
2. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
3. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
4. What metaphor does Kennedy use to describe the relationship between the elected official and the electorate?
5. Where did Houston say he wanted it written that he loved his country, he was a patriot, and he was devoted to the Union.
Short Essay Questions
1. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
2. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
3. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
4. According to Kennedy, what is more difficult to understand--courage or politics?
5. Why did Taft speak out against the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war leaders?
6. Why is Ross called the man who saved a president?
7. Why was John Quincey Adams' relationship with Thomas Jefferson so strange?
8. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
9. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
10. What was wrong with the situation under the lead of Czar Cannon in the House?
Essay Topic 1
Critics proclaimed Kennedy's book as being a-political. What did they mean by that and do you agree? Write your answer in a one-page, type written, double spaced paper.
Essay Topic 2
Write a two page paper on three people you believe should be in a future book on profiles in courage.
Essay Topic 3
Write a narrative about what it must have been like for Sam Houston to live with the Cherokee as a boy.
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)