|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
2. Why was it considered a contradiction when Houston supported temperance?
3. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
4. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
5. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail the important political positions held by Sam Houston.
2. Discus the results of Benton's not voting for the annexation of Texas.
3. What metaphor does Kennedy use illustrating the elected official and constituency relationship?
4. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
5. Describe Benton's leaving Tennessee early in his life.
6. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
7. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
8. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
9. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
10. Relate how Benton survived an attempt on his life by another senator.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on why a person cannot be arrested and tried for something that was not identified as a crime when he or she did it.
Essay Topic 3
Write a narrative about what it must have been like for Sam Houston to live with the Cherokee as a boy.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)