|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
2. Where did Houston deliver his acceptance speech after being elected Governor as an independent?
3. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
4. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
5. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
2. What great stand did Webster take against the wishes of his abolitionist constituents?
3. Detail the important political positions held by Sam Houston.
4. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
5. What does Kennedy point out as interesting about letter John Quincey wrote at ages nine and forty-five?
6. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
7. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
8. Why was it so easy for him to go and live with the Indians?
9. How did Sen. Benton get his reputation as a fighter?
10. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the difference between compromising methods and compromising ideals.
Essay Topic 2
Write a brief account of the Nuremberg trials.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about a great example of political compromise in the history of the world. (You choose the topic.)
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)