|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
2. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
3. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
4. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
5. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
2. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
3. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
4. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
5. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
6. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
7. If Webster's popularity was an asset, how does Kennedy point out that it was also a liability?
8. Aside from being Senator from Massachusetts, what was Daniel Webster known for?
9. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
10. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a narrative about what it must have been like for Sam Houston to live with the Cherokee as a boy.
Essay Topic 2
How do you think American history might have been completely different if Edmund Norris had voted against President Johnson?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about a great example of political compromise in the history of the world. (You choose the topic.)
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)