|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
2. What is ironic about Houston as an Indian fighter?
3. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
4. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
5. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
2. Why was it so easy for him to go and live with the Indians?
3. What great stand did Webster take against the wishes of his abolitionist constituents?
4. If Webster's popularity was an asset, how does Kennedy point out that it was also a liability?
5. What does Kennedy point out as interesting about letter John Quincey wrote at ages nine and forty-five?
6. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
7. How did Sen. Benton get his reputation as a fighter?
8. Relate how Benton survived an attempt on his life by another senator.
9. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
10. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the presidencies of John Adams and John Quincey Adams and the presidencies of George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting Daniel Webster's seeing nothing wrong with taking money from special interests and Sam Rayburn's refusal to take even government money for House trips. You can look up Sam Rayburn on Wikipedia.
Essay Topic 3
Write a brief account of the Nuremberg trials.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)