|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
2. What was rumored to be the cause of Houston's breakdown and resigning as Governor of Tennessee?
3. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
4. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
5. What is the example of some advice Kennedy received when he first became a Congressman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was wrong with the situation under the lead of Czar Cannon in the House?
2. Aside from being Senator from Massachusetts, what was Daniel Webster known for?
3. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
4. What great stand did Webster take against the wishes of his abolitionist constituents?
5. Relate how Benton survived an attempt on his life by another senator.
6. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
7. Sen. Lucius Lamar of Mississippi entered Congress as a secessionist but after the Civil War he worked for compromise. Why?
8. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
9. How did Edmund G. Ross come to the U.S. Senate from Kansas?
10. How was Lamar able to win back the support of the people of Mississippi?
Essay Topic 1
Interview and write about a fireman who has faced serious danger.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay contrasting Daniel Webster's seeing nothing wrong with taking money from special interests and Sam Rayburn's refusal to take even government money for House trips. You can look up Sam Rayburn on Wikipedia.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)