|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was rumored to be the cause of Houston's breakdown and resigning as Governor of Tennessee?
2. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
3. What is a particular problem on occasion when the electorate presents a desire to the elected official?
4. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
5. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate how Benton survived an attempt on his life by another senator.
2. Why was it so easy for him to go and live with the Indians?
3. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
4. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
5. Discus the results of Benton's not voting for the annexation of Texas.
6. What personal weakness does Kennedy point out about John Quincey Adams?
7. Aside from being Senator from Massachusetts, what was Daniel Webster known for?
8. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
9. What metaphor does Kennedy use illustrating the elected official and constituency relationship?
10. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a narrative about what it must have been like for Sam Houston to live with the Cherokee as a boy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the most courageous person you have ever met.
Essay Topic 3
Write a narrative about someone from your school who showed uncommon courage.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)