Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
2. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
3. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
4. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
5. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
2. What are the three pressures Kennedy identifies for any elected official?
3. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
4. What does fear have to do with being courageous?
5. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
6. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
7. How did Norris manage to stop the vote on the Armed Ship Bill?
8. Why was John Quincey Adams' relationship with Thomas Jefferson so strange?
9. Discus the results of Benton's not voting for the annexation of Texas.
10. What were Ross' feelings about the presidency that caused him to vote the way he did even though he opposed President Andrew Johnson?
Write a narrative about someone from your school who showed uncommon courage.
Write an essay on your personal idea of courage. Use some example from your life or that you know about personally.
How do you think American history might have been completely different if Edmund Norris had voted against President Johnson?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)