|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
2. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
3. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
4. What is a constant that an elected official must understand?
5. Where did Houston deliver his acceptance speech after being elected Governor as an independent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Edmund G. Ross come to the U.S. Senate from Kansas?
2. If Webster's popularity was an asset, how does Kennedy point out that it was also a liability?
3. What personal weakness does Kennedy point out about John Quincey Adams?
4. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
5. What are the three pressures Kennedy identifies for any elected official?
6. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
7. According to Kennedy, what is more difficult to understand--courage or politics?
8. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
9. How does the book reflect John Kennedy's admiration for certain former U.S. Senators?
10. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interview and write about a fireman who has faced serious danger.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about a great example of political compromise in the history of the world. (You choose the topic.)
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that compares slavery to segregation.
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)