|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
2. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
3. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
4. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
5. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Houston able to prevent Texas from seceding from the Union?
2. Detail the important political positions held by Sam Houston.
3. What are the three pressures Kennedy identifies for any elected official?
4. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
5. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
6. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
7. What great stand did Webster take against the wishes of his abolitionist constituents?
8. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
9. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
10. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a two page paper on three people you believe should be in a future book on profiles in courage.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the most courageous person you have ever met.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)