|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides appearing to be disloyal to his father when he aligned himself with Jefferson's politics, what other problem arose for John Quincey Adams?
2. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
3. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
4. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
5. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discus the results of Benton's not voting for the annexation of Texas.
2. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
3. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
4. Why was John Quincey Adams' relationship with Thomas Jefferson so strange?
5. Relate two important firsts for Senator Thomas Hart Benton.
6. Relate how Benton survived an attempt on his life by another senator.
7. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
8. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
9. What personal weakness does Kennedy point out about John Quincey Adams?
10. What metaphor does Kennedy use illustrating the elected official and constituency relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about a great example of political compromise in the history of the world. (You choose the topic.)
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
Essay Topic 3
Critics proclaimed Kennedy's book as being a-political. What did they mean by that and do you agree? Write your answer in a one-page, type written, double spaced paper.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)