|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
2. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
3. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
4. After Houston's removal from the Senate, what office did he run for and win as an independent?
5. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
Short Essay Questions
1. What metaphor does Kennedy use illustrating the elected official and constituency relationship?
2. What does Kennedy identify as a difficult situation after a candidate is voted into the senate?
3. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
4. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
5. Aside from being Senator from Massachusetts, what was Daniel Webster known for?
6. Relate two important firsts for Senator Thomas Hart Benton.
7. If Webster's popularity was an asset, how does Kennedy point out that it was also a liability?
8. What great stand did Webster take against the wishes of his abolitionist constituents?
9. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
10. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about a time when you found it necessary to compromise.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the presidencies of John Adams and John Quincey Adams and the presidencies of George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on why a person cannot be arrested and tried for something that was not identified as a crime when he or she did it.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)