|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is ironic about Texas secession on March 2?
2. What were Benton's most effective weapons as a fighter?
3. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
4. What action by Texas brought about the end of Houston's career?
5. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was John Quincey Adams' relationship with Thomas Jefferson so strange?
2. How did Sen. Benton get his reputation as a fighter?
3. Discus the results of Benton's not voting for the annexation of Texas.
4. What does Kennedy point out as interesting about letter John Quincey wrote at ages nine and forty-five?
5. Why was it so easy for him to go and live with the Indians?
6. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
7. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
8. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
9. Relate two important firsts for Senator Thomas Hart Benton.
10. Describe Benton's leaving Tennessee early in his life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a two page paper on three people you believe should be in a future book on profiles in courage.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the presidencies of John Adams and John Quincey Adams and the presidencies of George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)