|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
2. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
3. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
4. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
5. How did one reporter categorize elected officials?
Short Essay Questions
1. Write down the epithet that testified to the intelligence of Thomas Hart Benton.
2. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
3. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
4. How did Sen. Benton get his reputation as a fighter?
5. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
6. Relate two important firsts for Senator Thomas Hart Benton.
7. If Webster's popularity was an asset, how does Kennedy point out that it was also a liability?
8. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
9. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
10. What does Kennedy point out as interesting about letter John Quincey wrote at ages nine and forty-five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay contrasting Daniel Webster's seeing nothing wrong with taking money from special interests and Sam Rayburn's refusal to take even government money for House trips. You can look up Sam Rayburn on Wikipedia.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that compares slavery to segregation.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on your personal idea of courage. Use some example from your life or that you know about personally.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)