|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a particular problem on occasion when the electorate presents a desire to the elected official?
2. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
3. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
4. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
5. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Aside from being Senator from Massachusetts, what was Daniel Webster known for?
2. What personal weakness does Kennedy point out about John Quincey Adams?
3. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
4. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
5. Was Houston able to prevent Texas from seceding from the Union?
6. Write down the epithet that testified to the intelligence of Thomas Hart Benton.
7. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
8. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
9. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
10. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining the difference between compromising methods and compromising ideals.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about a great example of political compromise in the history of the world. (You choose the topic.)
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about courage in sports.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)