|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
2. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
3. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
4. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
5. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Houston able to prevent Texas from seceding from the Union?
2. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
3. Relate two important firsts for Senator Thomas Hart Benton.
4. Why was John Quincey Adams' relationship with Thomas Jefferson so strange?
5. If Webster's popularity was an asset, how does Kennedy point out that it was also a liability?
6. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
7. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
8. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
9. What are the three pressures Kennedy identifies for any elected official?
10. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
Essay Topic 2
Interview and write about a fireman who has faced serious danger.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay that compares slavery to segregation.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)