|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
2. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
3. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
4. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
5. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
2. What does Kennedy identify as a difficult situation after a candidate is voted into the senate?
3. Discus the results of Benton's not voting for the annexation of Texas.
4. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
5. What metaphor does Kennedy use illustrating the elected official and constituency relationship?
6. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
7. What does Kennedy point out as interesting about letter John Quincey wrote at ages nine and forty-five?
8. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
9. Why was it so easy for him to go and live with the Indians?
10. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Connect the annexation of Texas, the addition of Oregon, and the Kansas-Nebraska Bill and show why they were so politically hot issues.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in a paper why Sen. Norris' support for Al Smith for President might have been of special interest to Sen. John Kennedy.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the presidencies of John Adams and John Quincey Adams and the presidencies of George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)