|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(d) Vachal Lindsay.
2. Prior to the Civil War, what notable action did Lamar undertake with Jefferson Davis?
(a) Designing the Confederate flag.
(b) Walking out of the Democratic Convention.
(c) Writing the Articles of Confederation.
(d) Speaking out against secession.
3. How many votes were needed to convict the President?
4. What famous American represented the Boston Massacre defendants in 1770?
(a) Paul Revere.
(b) Thomas Payne.
(c) Charles Evans Hughes.
(d) John Adams.
5. How did journalist William Preston Johnson describe the intellectual atmosphere of the Lamar family?
(a) The fatal dowry of genius was upon the house.
(b) There was a black thread of moodiness in all the family.
(c) They were self taught but not uneducated.
(d) The Lamars had amassed a huge library.
Short Answer Questions
1. Taft supported education, health, housing, and other welfare programs against his normal conservative Republicanism. Why?
2. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
3. What memorable line did the Toledo BLADE print about Taft after he decried the Nuremberg trials?
4. Why were the Radical Republicans happy to see Edmund G. Ross come to the Senate?
5. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)