|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which senator saved himself from dunking by giving a speech beside the river?
(a) Sen. Stephen Austin of Texas.
(b) Sen. John Adams of Massachusetts.
(c) Sen. Humphrey Marshall of Kentucky.
(d) Sen. Jacob J. Javits of New York.
2. What opinion did Taft share with Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas?
(a) That the Axis war crimes trials did not try the real offenders.
(b) That the Axis war crimes trials went against every principle of American justice.
(c) That the Axis prisoners should not be allowed representation by lawyers.
(d) That the Constitution of the USA allowed for ex post facto prosecutions.
3. What was ironic when the Matthews Resolution came up for a vote in the Senate?
(a) The Resolution came before the Senate before the Bland Bill.
(b) Lamar had gone back to Mississippi and missed the vote.
(c) Lamar voted against it but the other Senator, a Negro appointed by the reconstruction, voted for it.
(d) Matthews voted against his own resolution.
4. What does Kennedy suggest is the number of courageous Senators who have put their political lives on the line in order to speak honestly?
(a) The ones in his book are the only ones.
(b) He wrote down a list of over fifty.
(c) There are too many to name.
(d) He said every Senator has that kind of honesty.
5. Why was Norris' candidate for President unpopular in 1928?
(a) He was a Radical.
(b) He was a Socialist.
(c) He wore a moustache.
(d) He was a Catholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
2. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
3. Why did Norris oppose the Armed Ship Bill when his state seemed to favor it?
4. Why did George Norris decide to go against his constituents and vote according to his conscience?
5. Which bitter rival of Sen. Robert A. Taft actually ended up in the White House?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)