|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did Lamar later say was the first one ever put into his hands to read?
(a) Joel Harris' SONG OF THE SOUTH.
(b) Plato's REPUBLIC.
(c) Franklin's AUTOBIOGRAPHY.
(d) Plutarch's LIVES.
2. How many tickets were printed up for seats during the Johnson Impeachment Trial?
3. Under what law was President Andrew Johnson tried in the Congress?
(a) The Bill of Rights.
(b) The Civilian Code.
(c) The Articles of Confederation.
(d) The Articles of Impeachment.
4. What high office did Lamar hold at the end of his career?
(a) Head of the Democratic National Committee.
(b) Secretary of the Interior.
(c) Vice-President of the United States.
(d) Justice of the Supreme Court.
5. Who called Taft's speech against the Nazi war crimes trials a classic example of his muddled and confused thinking?
(a) Former Nazi Franz Von Papen.
(b) Newspaper columnist David Lawrence.
(c) Sen. Scott Lucas of Illinois.
(d) Gov. Thomas E. Dewey of New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Norris always oppose President Wilson's measures?
2. What disease cut short Lamar's military career?
3. What method did Sen. Norris use to prevent the passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
4. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
5. What was ironic when the Matthews Resolution came up for a vote in the Senate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Norris' working knowledge of both poverty and war?
2. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
3. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
4. What was the result of Lamar's appointment to oversee the recount in the Hayes-Tilden presidential vote?
5. How did Edmund G. Ross come to the U.S. Senate from Kansas?
6. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
7. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
8. How did Norris manage to stop the vote on the Armed Ship Bill?
9. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
10. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)