|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the Radical Republicans happy to see Edmund G. Ross come to the Senate?
(a) He was adamantly against slavery and had worked hard for abolition.
(b) He had spoken out for Lincoln's reconstruction ideas.
(c) He was inexperienced in politics and the Senators could control him.
(d) He was a moderate who opposed slave states but owned slaves himself.
2. What does Kennedy identify as the personal tragedy and national greatness about Sen. Robert A. Taft?
(a) That he got his party's nomination three times but never won a Presidential election.
(b) That he would always speak out in such a way that appeared to compromise his beliefs.
(c) That he aspired to be President but his uncompromising sense of right prevented that from happening.
(d) That his father had been President but he had no such ambitions.
3. Under what law was President Andrew Johnson tried in the Congress?
(a) The Bill of Rights.
(b) The Articles of Confederation.
(c) The Civilian Code.
(d) The Articles of Impeachment.
4. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
(a) His purpose was to establish a political stronghold for himself.
(b) His purpose was to get re-elected President for a full term.
(c) His purpose was to carry out Lincoln's reconstruction plans.
(d) His purpose was to see that the Southern States were severely punished.
5. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
Short Answer Questions
1. What benefit did Norris fight for to aid the people of Tennessee Valley?
2. Did Norris always oppose President Wilson's measures?
3. Which courageous Senator refused to support the expunging of some of Jackson's military activities?
4. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
5. What unwanted praise did Norris and his group receive after the filibuster?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Norris' working knowledge of both poverty and war?
2. What was wrong with the situation under the lead of Czar Cannon in the House?
3. What is some of the speculation regarding Ross' not revealing how he would vote until he cast his vote on the Senate floor?
4. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
5. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
6. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
7. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
8. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
9. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
10. Why is Ross called the man who saved a president?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)