|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the irony of Norris' using the filibuster to fight passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) Because the filibuster was something new that had never been tried before.
(b) Because Norris had said he would not filibuster the President's bills.
(c) Norris had actually tried to do away with the filibuster in an attempt to bring change to the Senate.
(d) Because Norris was unable to speak for long periods of time.
2. What was the Jay Treaty and why did President Washington support it?
(a) It was a treaty to buy arms and munitions only from the British.
(b) It was a treaty with Great Britain that President Washington supported to keep the young country from going to war.
(c) It was a treaty removing all taxes from British imports supported by Washington to protect the rich.
(d) It was a treaty giving land west of the Mississippi to the British.
3. What was leaked to the newspapers that did away with American public resistance to the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) The sinking of the Titanic.
(b) The Zimmerman note.
(c) The Mexican conspiracy.
(d) The Kaiser's war zone warning.
4. Who was the only Southern senator who refused to secede with his state?
(a) Andrew Jackson.
(b) Thomas Hart Benton.
(c) Jefferson Davis.
(d) Andrew Johnson.
5. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
(a) His purpose was to get re-elected President for a full term.
(b) His purpose was to carry out Lincoln's reconstruction plans.
(c) His purpose was to establish a political stronghold for himself.
(d) His purpose was to see that the Southern States were severely punished.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Senator had to be carried into the Senate to cast his vote on Johnson's impeachment?
2. Who said that he would rather be in his grave than in the presidency?
3. What famous speech did Lamar give in Congress?
4. Who was the Senator from Nebraska who opposed President Woodrow Wilson's Armed Ship Bill?
5. What characteristic of Sen. Taft did Kennedy suggest might best be judged after many years?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
2. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
3. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
4. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
5. What were Ross' feelings about the presidency that caused him to vote the way he did even though he opposed President Andrew Johnson?
6. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
7. Sen. Lucius Lamar of Mississippi entered Congress as a secessionist but after the Civil War he worked for compromise. Why?
8. How was Lamar able to win back the support of the people of Mississippi?
9. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
10. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)