|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Norris' candidate for President unpopular in 1928?
(a) He wore a moustache.
(b) He was a Catholic.
(c) He was a Socialist.
(d) He was a Radical.
2. What memorable line did the Toledo BLADE print about Taft after he decried the Nuremberg trials?
(a) He has no feeling about the soup kitchens of 1932 but supports Nazi criminals.
(b) He has a wonderful mind that knows practically everything and understands practically nothing.
(c) This is not the time to weaken the punishment of international crimes.
(d) That Taft wanted to let loose on the world a terrible gang of cutthroats.
3. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
4. What does Kennedy suggest is the number of courageous Senators who have put their political lives on the line in order to speak honestly?
(a) There are too many to name.
(b) He said every Senator has that kind of honesty.
(c) The ones in his book are the only ones.
(d) He wrote down a list of over fifty.
5. What method did Sen. Norris use to prevent the passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) A Petition.
(b) Buried in committee.
(c) Collecting enough votes to defveat it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lamar view the free silver movement of 1877?
2. Why did the six Republicans say they would not vote to convict President Johnson?
3. What was ironic when the Matthews Resolution came up for a vote in the Senate?
4. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
5. What was Lamar's main purpose in his political actions?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
2. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
3. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
4. Why is Ross called the man who saved a president?
5. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
6. How did Norris manage to stop the vote on the Armed Ship Bill?
7. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
8. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
9. What was the result of Lamar's appointment to oversee the recount in the Hayes-Tilden presidential vote?
10. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)