|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic of Sen. Taft did Kennedy suggest might best be judged after many years?
(a) How he refrained from speaking his mind on controversial political issure.
(b) How he managed to appear charming when he was destroying an enemy.
(c) How he accepted Socialist philosophy.
(d) How he inspired loyal devotees as well as bitter enemies.
2. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
3. How did Lamar view the free silver movement of 1877?
(a) He saw it as creating easy inflationary money.
(b) He was too ill to pay it much attention.
(c) He saw it as a depletion of the nation's silver.
(d) He supported it to help save Mississippi.
4. Why did George Norris decide to go against his constituents and vote according to his conscience?
(a) He felt that his constituents were being led by the alarmist press.
(b) He said that just voting as he was told required no patriotism, no education, and no courage.
(c) He was convinced that it was the only way for him to get publicity.
(d) It was his purpose to run for President in the next general election.
5. How did Lucius Lamar first run for Congress?
(a) As a pro-Unionist.
(b) As a secessionist.
(c) As an independent.
(d) As a Radical Republican.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
2. Which courageous Senator refused to support the expunging of some of Jackson's military activities?
3. Why did George Norris believe Big Business was urging the country into war?
4. What was the Armed Ship Bill?
5. Taft supported education, health, housing, and other welfare programs against his normal conservative Republicanism. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
2. Why did Taft speak out against the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war leaders?
3. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
4. Sen. Lucius Lamar of Mississippi entered Congress as a secessionist but after the Civil War he worked for compromise. Why?
5. What is some of the speculation regarding Ross' not revealing how he would vote until he cast his vote on the Senate floor?
6. What was the downfall of Sen. Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama?
7. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
8. What were Ross' feelings about the presidency that caused him to vote the way he did even though he opposed President Andrew Johnson?
9. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
10. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)