|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the results of Norris' opposition of President Wilson on the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) He was taken off all Senate committees.
(b) He resigned his seat in the Senate.
(c) He was recalled by Nebraska.
(d) He was vilified for acting against the President.
2. What method did Sen. Norris use to prevent the passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
(b) A Petition.
(c) Collecting enough votes to defveat it.
(d) Buried in committee.
3. Which candidate did Norris support in the 1928 Presidential election?
(a) Al Gore.
(b) Al Smith.
(c) Al Newman.
(d) Al Sharpton.
4. Prior to the Civil War, what notable action did Lamar undertake with Jefferson Davis?
(a) Designing the Confederate flag.
(b) Writing the Articles of Confederation.
(c) Walking out of the Democratic Convention.
(d) Speaking out against secession.
5. What famous piece of legislation bears Robert A. Taft's name?
(a) The Taft-Hartley Act.
(b) The Taft Education Manifesto.
(c) The Taft Health Plan.
(d) The Taft Welfare Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
2. Why did George Norris decide to go against his constituents and vote according to his conscience?
3. What does Kennedy suggest is the number of courageous Senators who have put their political lives on the line in order to speak honestly?
4. How did Lamar view the free silver movement of 1877?
5. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
2. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
3. Why did Taft speak out against the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war leaders?
4. What were Ross' feelings about the presidency that caused him to vote the way he did even though he opposed President Andrew Johnson?
5. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
6. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
7. Why is Ross called the man who saved a president?
8. How did Norris manage to stop the vote on the Armed Ship Bill?
9. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
10. What was the downfall of Sen. Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)