|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous piece of legislation bears Robert A. Taft's name?
(a) The Taft Health Plan.
(b) The Taft-Hartley Act.
(c) The Taft Education Manifesto.
(d) The Taft Welfare Act.
2. What famous American represented the Boston Massacre defendants in 1770?
(a) Paul Revere.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Charles Evans Hughes.
(d) Thomas Payne.
3. What does Kennedy suggest is the number of courageous Senators who have put their political lives on the line in order to speak honestly?
(a) He wrote down a list of over fifty.
(b) There are too many to name.
(c) The ones in his book are the only ones.
(d) He said every Senator has that kind of honesty.
4. Who was the Democratic majority leader in the Senate who later became Vice President?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) Jacob Javits.
(c) John Nance Garner.
(d) Alben Barkley.
5. What was Sen. Albert Beveridge's famous statement after he was defeated for speaking out against the Payne-Aldrich Tariff Act?
(a) It is all right, twelve years of hard work, and a clean record; I am content.
(b) Our country would be better off with an Indian tribe style government of blood and prejudice.
(c) The people of Indiana will see the error of their ways one day in the future.
(d) I can see now that I should have kept my mouth shut and my mind open.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lamar's main purpose in his political actions?
2. After Lamar toured Mississippi to discuss his reasons for voting the way he did, how did the people react?
3. What famous speech did Lamar give in Congress?
4. What Senator had to be carried into the Senate to cast his vote on Johnson's impeachment?
5. Why was Norris' candidate for President unpopular in 1928?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
2. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
3. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
4. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
5. What was the downfall of Sen. Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama?
6. What is some of the speculation regarding Ross' not revealing how he would vote until he cast his vote on the Senate floor?
7. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
8. What was wrong with the situation under the lead of Czar Cannon in the House?
9. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
10. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)