|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the circumstances that brought Edmund G. Ross to Congress as Senator from Kansas?
(a) He was sent after a recall of Senator Lane.
(b) A landslide vote of the Kansas people.
(c) The suicide of his predecessor, Senator Jim Lane.
(d) The resignation of Senator Lane who was a reconstructionist.
2. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
(a) Walter Smith.
(b) John Dalzell.
(c) Joe Cannon.
(d) Woodrow Wilson.
3. What does Kennedy suggest is the number of courageous Senators who have put their political lives on the line in order to speak honestly?
(a) There are too many to name.
(b) He wrote down a list of over fifty.
(c) The ones in his book are the only ones.
(d) He said every Senator has that kind of honesty.
4. How many votes were needed to convict the President?
5. How did Taft's candor cause him to lose his party's nomination for President?
(a) People thought you could not trust a man like that.
(b) His candor caused him to be overly tactful.
(c) His answers were always truthful and very often blunt.
(d) He did not always say exactly what he meant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What senator dashed his presidential hopes by speaking out against the Ku Klux Klan?
2. Who was the Senator from Nebraska who opposed President Woodrow Wilson's Armed Ship Bill?
3. What opinion did Taft share with Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas?
4. What were the results of Norris' opposition of President Wilson on the Armed Ship Bill?
5. Which senator saved himself from dunking by giving a speech beside the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
2. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
3. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
4. How did Edmund G. Ross come to the U.S. Senate from Kansas?
5. Why is Ross called the man who saved a president?
6. What was wrong with the situation under the lead of Czar Cannon in the House?
7. What was Norris' working knowledge of both poverty and war?
8. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
9. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
10. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)