|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
(a) His purpose was to establish a political stronghold for himself.
(b) His purpose was to carry out Lincoln's reconstruction plans.
(c) His purpose was to see that the Southern States were severely punished.
(d) His purpose was to get re-elected President for a full term.
2. What was Ross' military experience?
(a) The Union Army and the Union Navy.
(b) The Kansas Free State Army and the Union Army.
(c) The Ohio Militia and the Confederate Army.
(d) The Republic of Texas Army and the Union Army.
3. Who called Taft's speech against the Nazi war crimes trials a classic example of his muddled and confused thinking?
(a) Sen. Scott Lucas of Illinois.
(b) Newspaper columnist David Lawrence.
(c) Former Nazi Franz Von Papen.
(d) Gov. Thomas E. Dewey of New York.
4. Why was Ross targeted for surveillance and harassment before the Johnson trial.
(a) He was using his secret to gain political notariety.
(b) Both sides believed he was weak willed.
(c) Stanton thought he could intimidate Ross with his military connections.
(d) He kept silent on how he might vote.
5. Why did the six Republicans say they would not vote to convict President Johnson?
(a) They came from conservative states.
(b) They said they didn't need to vote because there was a 36 majority anyway.
(c) They said the evidence was not sufficient.
(d) They said some Prepblicans should vote no to make the party look unbiased.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did journalist William Preston Johnson describe the intellectual atmosphere of the Lamar family?
2. What high office did Lamar hold at the end of his career?
3. What was leaked to the newspapers that did away with American public resistance to the Armed Ship Bill?
4. How did Ross describe his feelings just before he cast his not guilty vote?
5. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
2. How did Norris manage to stop the vote on the Armed Ship Bill?
3. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
4. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
5. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
6. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
7. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
8. How did Edmund G. Ross come to the U.S. Senate from Kansas?
9. What was Norris' working knowledge of both poverty and war?
10. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)