|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Ross describe his feelings just before he cast his not guilty vote?
(a) I had a great lump in my throat.
(b) I looked down at my open grave.
(c) I felt the chill of fear on my spine.
(d) I was afraid I could not speak.
2. What was the irony of Norris' using the filibuster to fight passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) Norris had actually tried to do away with the filibuster in an attempt to bring change to the Senate.
(b) Because Norris had said he would not filibuster the President's bills.
(c) Because the filibuster was something new that had never been tried before.
(d) Because Norris was unable to speak for long periods of time.
3. Which courageous Senator refused to support the expunging of some of Jackson's military activities?
(a) Sen. Andrew Johnson of Tennessee.
(b) Sen. Oscar Underwood of Alabama.
(c) Sen. Humphrey Marshall of Kentucky.
(d) Sen. John Tyler of Virginia.
4. Why was Ross targeted for surveillance and harassment before the Johnson trial.
(a) He kept silent on how he might vote.
(b) Both sides believed he was weak willed.
(c) He was using his secret to gain political notariety.
(d) Stanton thought he could intimidate Ross with his military connections.
5. Why did Taft speak out against the War Crimes Trials and the Nuremberg Trials?
(a) He advocated letting the Isralies try the German war criminals.
(b) He believed the crimes were being tried under an ex post facto law which he felt was unconstitutional and un-American.
(c) He thought the German war criminals should be tried in America.
(d) He had supported the Germans during WWII.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy identify as the personal tragedy and national greatness about Sen. Robert A. Taft?
2. What famous speech did Lamar give in Congress?
3. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
4. What did Robert A. Taft have in common with John Quincey Adams?
5. What was the Armed Ship Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
2. Why did Taft speak out against the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war leaders?
3. How did Norris manage to stop the vote on the Armed Ship Bill?
4. What were Ross' feelings about the presidency that caused him to vote the way he did even though he opposed President Andrew Johnson?
5. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
6. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
7. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
8. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
9. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
10. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)