|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
(a) If I had voted for it as directed I should have cast my first vote against my conscience.
(b) I believe that statesmanship is dead in the South.
(c) The directions for how I should vote arrived after the vote had already been taken.
(d) My vote was unimportant in a Senate populated with Radical Republicans and Democrats.
2. How did Ross describe his feelings just before he cast his not guilty vote?
(a) I had a great lump in my throat.
(b) I felt the chill of fear on my spine.
(c) I was afraid I could not speak.
(d) I looked down at my open grave.
3. What method did Sen. Norris use to prevent the passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
(b) Buried in committee.
(c) A Petition.
(d) Collecting enough votes to defveat it.
4. How did Lamar view the free silver movement of 1877?
(a) He supported it to help save Mississippi.
(b) He saw it as a depletion of the nation's silver.
(c) He saw it as creating easy inflationary money.
(d) He was too ill to pay it much attention.
5. Who was the Democratic majority leader in the Senate who later became Vice President?
(a) Alben Barkley.
(b) John Nance Garner.
(c) Jacob Javits.
(d) Richard Nixon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Jay Treaty and why did President Washington support it?
2. What was the irony of Norris' using the filibuster to fight passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
3. Why did the six Republicans say they would not vote to convict President Johnson?
4. Which courageous Senator refused to support the expunging of some of Jackson's military activities?
5. How many tickets were printed up for seats during the Johnson Impeachment Trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
2. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
3. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
4. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
5. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
6. What was the downfall of Sen. Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama?
7. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
8. What is some of the speculation regarding Ross' not revealing how he would vote until he cast his vote on the Senate floor?
9. What were Ross' feelings about the presidency that caused him to vote the way he did even though he opposed President Andrew Johnson?
10. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)