|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
2. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) His fearlessness.
(c) His political favors.
(d) His humble nature.
3. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
(a) John Quincy Adams.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) Bret Hart.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
4. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
(a) He said he had watered Texas soil with his blood.
(b) He said he had authorized the funds to build that courthouse.
(c) He said he paid his taxes regularly.
(d) He said he was the greatest general Texas ever had.
5. What is a particular problem on occasion when the electorate presents a desire to the elected official?
(a) What they want is not fair to fixed income people.
(b) What they want may not in the long run be good for the constituency.
(c) What they want is not clear to the elected official.
(d) What they want they are not willing to help pay for.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
2. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
3. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
4. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
5. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
2. How did Sen. Benton get his reputation as a fighter?
3. What great stand did Webster take against the wishes of his abolitionist constituents?
4. What does Kennedy identify as a difficult situation after a candidate is voted into the senate?
5. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
6. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
7. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
8. What personal weakness does Kennedy point out about John Quincey Adams?
9. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
10. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)