|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They were all Democrats.
(b) They were all Republicans.
(c) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
(d) They all served as U. S. Senators.
2. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
(a) Both father and son served three terms in office.
(b) Both father and son served during wartime.
(c) Neither father nor son served out a full term in office.
(d) Neither father nor son served a second term in office.
3. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
(a) Out of politics altogether.
(b) 50 fathoms deep into the middle of hell fire.
(c) Right in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
(d) A thousand miles north of the Mason Dixon Line.
4. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
(a) The Missouri voters felt allied to the South but Benton supported the Union.
(b) Benton refused to own slaves.
(c) The Missouri voters became ashamed of Benton's rough behavior.
(d) Benton had too many duels.
5. How was Benton's behavior different when he was with his family from when he was involved in politics?
(a) He hid his wife's mental illness from the public.
(b) He held his family by fear.
(c) He was easy on political opponents and harsh on his family.
(d) He was always warm and gentle around his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
2. Where did Houston deliver his acceptance speech after being elected Governor as an independent?
3. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
4. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
5. What earned Houston the name of traitor and pro-Abolitionist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
2. What are the three pressures Kennedy identifies for any elected official?
3. How did Sen. Benton get his reputation as a fighter?
4. Discus the results of Benton's not voting for the annexation of Texas.
5. What caused Houston to resign as governor of Tennessee and go live with the Indians?
6. What great stand did Webster take against the wishes of his abolitionist constituents?
7. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
8. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
9. How does the book reflect John Kennedy's admiration for certain former U.S. Senators?
10. Relate how Benton survived an attempt on his life by another senator.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)