|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
(b) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
(c) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
(d) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
2. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
(a) Adams had raised his son to do what he believed to be right and that meant opposing his father.
(b) Adams was not religious but his son, John Quincey, was a devout Puritan.
(c) Adams raised his son to always do as his father did regardless of what he thought personally.
(d) Adams was a stern father but a political liberal.
3. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
(a) He never married his childhood sweetheart.
(b) He never felt he had accomplished enough.
(c) He never couold live up to his mother's expectations.
(d) He never traveled abroad.
4. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
(a) He was a descendent of a slave.
(b) He opposed abolition.
(c) He owned slaves himself.
(d) He refused to go against his own party.
5. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) Robert E. Lee.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) George Washington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
2. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
3. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
4. What is a constant that an elected official must understand?
5. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kennedy have to say about political organizations that have the time and resources to mount letter writing campaigns?
2. Why was John Quincey Adams' relationship with Thomas Jefferson so strange?
3. Write down the epithet that testified to the intelligence of Thomas Hart Benton.
4. Was Houston able to prevent Texas from seceding from the Union?
5. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
6. Describe Benton's leaving Tennessee early in his life.
7. How does the book reflect John Kennedy's admiration for certain former U.S. Senators?
8. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
9. What great stand did Webster take against the wishes of his abolitionist constituents?
10. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)