|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
(a) Senator Henry Foote.
(b) Senator Martin VanBuren.
(c) Senator William Cooper.
(d) Senator Aaron Burr.
2. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Media bias one way or the other.
(b) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(c) Self interest that only looks like courage.
(d) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
3. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
(b) They were all Republicans.
(c) They all served as U. S. Senators.
(d) They were all Democrats.
4. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
(a) As a citizen of the world.
(b) As a debator who loved to take any opposing view.
(c) As a free thinker opposed to the Union.
(d) Not as a Massachusetts man but as an American.
5. In PROFILES IN COURAGE, what does John F. Kennedy fear the American public has forgotten?
(a) What courage actually is.
(b) The basic principles our country was founded on.
(c) Where to look for courage in a politician.
(d) How to tell if a man is honest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
2. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
3. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
4. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
5. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What courageous belief did Webster demonstrate by speaking out for the 1850 Compromise?
2. What does Kennedy point out as a moral flaw in Daniel Webster?
3. Aside from being Senator from Massachusetts, what was Daniel Webster known for?
4. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
5. Was Houston able to prevent Texas from seceding from the Union?
6. Describe Benton's leaving Tennessee early in his life.
7. Relate how Benton survived an attempt on his life by another senator.
8. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
9. Relate two important firsts for Senator Thomas Hart Benton.
10. How did Sen. Benton get his reputation as a fighter?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)