|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
(a) He wanted to bring the prospect of Civil War to a head.
(b) He thought it would give him power to run for President.
(c) He viewed it as a short-term compromise.
(d) He believed that compromise would eventually lead to abolition.
2. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
(a) Adams secret life of debauchery.
(b) Lapses in his Puritanical beliefs.
(c) Times of disappointment and hurt at loss of popularity.
(d) His hate and retribution against his enemies.
3. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
(a) Thomas Hart Benton.
(b) Sam Houston.
(c) Stephen A. Austin.
(d) Henry Calhoun.
4. How was Benton's behavior different when he was with his family from when he was involved in politics?
(a) He held his family by fear.
(b) He was always warm and gentle around his family.
(c) He was easy on political opponents and harsh on his family.
(d) He hid his wife's mental illness from the public.
5. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
(a) An ambassador.
(b) A reporter.
(c) A cabinet member.
(d) A preacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
2. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
3. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
4. What did the historian Wharton say about Houston's courage as he fought against Texas' secession from the Union?
5. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Sen. Benton get his reputation as a fighter?
2. If Webster's popularity was an asset, how does Kennedy point out that it was also a liability?
3. Discus the results of Benton's not voting for the annexation of Texas.
4. Why was Henry Clay taking a chance when he enlisted Webster to help with passing the 1850 Compromise?
5. What advice was Kennedy given when he first went to Congress?
6. What interesting historical distinction did Adams and his father share in regards to their Presidencies?
7. What courageous vote did Houston cast that was unpopular with his constituents in Texas?
8. Write down the epithet that testified to the intelligence of Thomas Hart Benton.
9. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
10. What advantages does Kennedy say John Quincey Adams had for political life?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)