|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
(a) He said he paid his taxes regularly.
(b) He said he had authorized the funds to build that courthouse.
(c) He said he was the greatest general Texas ever had.
(d) He said he had watered Texas soil with his blood.
2. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
(a) Both father and son served during wartime.
(b) Neither father nor son served out a full term in office.
(c) Neither father nor son served a second term in office.
(d) Both father and son served three terms in office.
3. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
(a) Out of politics altogether.
(b) 50 fathoms deep into the middle of hell fire.
(c) Right in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
(d) A thousand miles north of the Mason Dixon Line.
4. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His superior attitude toward other politician.
(b) His uncompromising religion.
(c) His ability to manipulate his father.
(d) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
5. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
(a) The need to travel the world.
(b) The need to publish a book.
(c) The need to get more education.
(d) The need to get re-elected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphor does Kennedy use to describe the relationship between the elected official and the electorate?
2. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
3. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
4. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
5. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
Short Essay Questions
1. If Webster's popularity was an asset, how does Kennedy point out that it was also a liability?
2. What personal weakness does Kennedy point out about John Quincey Adams?
3. Why was John Quincey Adams' relationship with Thomas Jefferson so strange?
4. What does Kennedy point out as interesting about letter John Quincey wrote at ages nine and forty-five?
5. Relate two important firsts for Senator Thomas Hart Benton.
6. What does Kennedy identify as a difficult situation after a candidate is voted into the senate?
7. What surprising victory did Houston win after being dismissed from the Senate?
8. What was the irony of John Quincey's taking sides with Jefferson against his father?
9. What are the three pressures Kennedy identifies for any elected official?
10. Why was it so easy for him to go and live with the Indians?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)