|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
(a) He would do whatever was necessary to get re-elected.
(b) He would do what he thought was right regardless of his party or his popularity.
(c) His stance on big government over states' rights.
(d) He would stand up in the Senate without a gun.
2. Where did Houston say he wanted it written that he loved his country, he was a patriot, and he was devoted to the Union.
(a) On the face of the Texas capitol building.
(b) In the Dallas Herald.
(c) On his tombstone.
(d) In the latest history books.
3. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It made many political allies for Webster.
(b) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(c) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
(d) It gave the South the idea of secession.
4. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
(a) Making decisions when to satisfy a constituancy will not be what is best for the nation.
(b) Making decisions when you do not have enough information to make good ones.
(c) Making decisions that will satisfy everyone in one way or another.
(d) Making decisions when a fellow Senator or Congressman needs to get a pet project going.
5. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
6. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The Independence Day speech.
(b) The Christmas Day speech.
(c) The Seventh of March speech.
(d) The First of January speech.
7. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
8. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
(b) They all served as U. S. Senators.
(c) They were all Democrats.
(d) They were all Republicans.
9. Where did Houston deliver his acceptance speech after being elected Governor as an independent?
(a) In San Antonio, Texas.
(b) In Houston, Texas.
(c) On the steps of the Capitol building.
(d) At San Jacinto.
10. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
(a) Webster appointed his relatives to Senate jobs.
(b) Webster lied under oath in a Senate hearing.
(c) Businesses who benefited from his help paid off his debts so he could remain in the senate.
(d) Webster was offered a bfribe which he nearly accepted.
11. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
(a) The need to be right all the time.
(b) The need to be different from other politicians.
(c) The need to be well liked.
(d) The need to raise campaign money.
12. In PROFILES IN COURAGE, what does John F. Kennedy fear the American public has forgotten?
(a) Where to look for courage in a politician.
(b) The basic principles our country was founded on.
(c) How to tell if a man is honest.
(d) What courage actually is.
13. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
(a) His advocacy for hard currency.
(b) His gold plated sign on his office door.
(c) His greed for money.
(d) His silver mines in Missouri.
14. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
(a) Benton always knows what is right.
(b) Benton is a bull in a china shop.
(c) Benton will never compromise.
(d) Benton and Democracy are one and the same.
15. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
(a) Adams secret life of debauchery.
(b) His hate and retribution against his enemies.
(c) Lapses in his Puritanical beliefs.
(d) Times of disappointment and hurt at loss of popularity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
2. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
3. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
4. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
5. What action by Texas brought about the end of Houston's career?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)