|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the six Republicans say they would not vote to convict President Johnson?
(a) They said some Prepblicans should vote no to make the party look unbiased.
(b) They came from conservative states.
(c) They said they didn't need to vote because there was a 36 majority anyway.
(d) They said the evidence was not sufficient.
2. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His ability to manipulate his father.
(b) His uncompromising religion.
(c) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
(d) His superior attitude toward other politician.
3. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
(a) He said he had watered Texas soil with his blood.
(b) He said he was the greatest general Texas ever had.
(c) He said he paid his taxes regularly.
(d) He said he had authorized the funds to build that courthouse.
4. Who was the Democratic majority leader in the Senate who later became Vice President?
(a) Richard Nixon.
(b) John Nance Garner.
(c) Alben Barkley.
(d) Jacob Javits.
5. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
(a) A mighty ship in a storm.
(b) Kennedy's Catholicism.
(c) The east coast, craggy, rocky, somber and strong.
(d) A conflict of interests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
2. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
3. What was ironic when the Matthews Resolution came up for a vote in the Senate?
4. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
5. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)