|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
(a) His greed for money.
(b) His silver mines in Missouri.
(c) His advocacy for hard currency.
(d) His gold plated sign on his office door.
2. What were Benton's most effective weapons as a fighter?
(a) Wit and sarcasm.
(b) Knives and bull whips.
(c) Guns and canons.
(d) Friends and relatives.
3. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
(a) As a squeaky voiced speaker.
(b) As a particularly eloquent speaker.
(c) As a politician who opposed any kind of compromise.
(d) As a writer of fiction.
4. Why was Ross targeted for surveillance and harassment before the Johnson trial.
(a) Both sides believed he was weak willed.
(b) Stanton thought he could intimidate Ross with his military connections.
(c) He kept silent on how he might vote.
(d) He was using his secret to gain political notariety.
5. What is a particular problem on occasion when the electorate presents a desire to the elected official?
(a) What they want may not in the long run be good for the constituency.
(b) What they want is not clear to the elected official.
(c) What they want they are not willing to help pay for.
(d) What they want is not fair to fixed income people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
2. Who was the author of the words, it is not true, in fact, that any people ever existed who love the public better than themselves?
3. What was Lamar's involvement in the controversial Hayes-Tilden presidential election?
4. To whom was Ross compared in a Kansas newspaper editorial?
5. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)