|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about Texas secession on March 2?
(a) It was the anniversary of the battle of San Jacinto.
(b) It was Houston's brithday.
(c) It was the anniversary of Houston's election to the Senate.
(d) It was the day Houston became governor.
2. Which men of courage did Kennedy purposefully leave out of his book?
(a) Those who gave up the fight and gave in to pressure.
(b) Those who fought their battles behind the scenes.
(c) Those who battled in Washington but had the support of their constituents back home.
(d) Those who fought for principles which were clearly wrong.
3. Why was Norris' candidate for President unpopular in 1928?
(a) He was a Socialist.
(b) He was a Radical.
(c) He wore a moustache.
(d) He was a Catholic.
4. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
(a) His greed for money.
(b) His silver mines in Missouri.
(c) His advocacy for hard currency.
(d) His gold plated sign on his office door.
5. What does Kennedy have to say about his book and independence?
(a) It is all about excessive adherence to what one perceives as true.
(b) It is all liberalism versus conservatism.
(c) It shows independence as merely stubborn conflict.
(d) It is not an attempt to justify independence for the sake of independence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did George Norris decide to go against his constituents and vote according to his conscience?
2. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
3. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
4. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
5. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)