|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The First of January speech.
(b) The Christmas Day speech.
(c) The Seventh of March speech.
(d) The Independence Day speech.
2. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
(a) Being popular made it difficult for him to compromise.
(b) He was a politician of popular opinion rather than high principles.
(c) He had the ability to disappoint twice as many people than most elected officials.
(d) People rarely took him seriously because of his ability to argue both sides.
3. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
(a) Give Tilden a much sought after ambassadorship.
(b) Appoint Southerners to key positions in his cabinet.
(c) Apologize to the South for certain military actions during the war.
(d) Withdraw occupation troops and restore Home Rule in key states.
4. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
(a) Social and public pressures.
(b) Fear of the unknown.
(c) Averice and greed.
(d) Not enough education about courage.
5. To whom was Ross compared in a Kansas newspaper editorial?
(a) Thomas Payne.
(b) Marc Anthony
(c) Benedict Arnold.
(d) Judas Escariot
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
2. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
3. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
4. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
5. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)