|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the Radical Republicans happy to see Edmund G. Ross come to the Senate?
(a) He was adamantly against slavery and had worked hard for abolition.
(b) He had spoken out for Lincoln's reconstruction ideas.
(c) He was a moderate who opposed slave states but owned slaves himself.
(d) He was inexperienced in politics and the Senators could control him.
2. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
(b) They were all Democrats.
(c) They were all Republicans.
(d) They all served as U. S. Senators.
3. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
(a) Calhoun's bills and resolutions on the Oregon question.
(b) The Missouri Compromise of 1820 and the Compromise of 1850.
(c) The repeal of the Missouri Compromise and the bill of rights.
(d) The Kansas-Nebraska bill and the articles of confederation.
4. How did journalist William Preston Johnson describe the intellectual atmosphere of the Lamar family?
(a) The Lamars had amassed a huge library.
(b) There was a black thread of moodiness in all the family.
(c) They were self taught but not uneducated.
(d) The fatal dowry of genius was upon the house.
5. Which candidate did Norris support in the 1928 Presidential election?
(a) Al Gore.
(b) Al Newman.
(c) Al Sharpton.
(d) Al Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a constant that an elected official must understand?
2. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
3. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
4. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
5. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)