|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
(a) National opinion polls.
(b) Presidential arm twisting.
(c) Party pressure to vote the party line.
(d) Political differences within the official's own family.
2. How was Benton's behavior different when he was with his family from when he was involved in politics?
(a) He hid his wife's mental illness from the public.
(b) He was always warm and gentle around his family.
(c) He held his family by fear.
(d) He was easy on political opponents and harsh on his family.
3. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
(a) Ulysses S. Grant.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
4. Where does Kennedy say courage is found?
(a) From looking in one's own soul.
(b) From fighting in the school yard.
(c) From stories like those in his book.
(d) From public school education.
5. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
(a) He pushed a measure giving extra benefits to leaders of wagon trains.
(b) He made a Congressional junket to Oregon.
(c) He voted to give tax breaks to manufacturers of wagons.
(d) He supported communications methods such as the telegraph, the Pony Express and roadways that ran into the country.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
2. What did Robert A. Taft have in common with John Quincey Adams?
3. What position did Lamar take after the Civil War?
4. What is ironic about Houston as an Indian fighter?
5. What were the results of Norris' opposition of President Wilson on the Armed Ship Bill?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)