|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(b) It made many political allies for Webster.
(c) It gave the South the idea of secession.
(d) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
2. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His parents and God.
(b) His religious congregational members.
(c) His college friends and professors.
(d) His wife and his mistress.
3. What nickname was given to Joe Cannon because of his power?
(a) Czar Cannon.
(b) King Cannon.
(c) Lord Cannon.
(d) Duke Cannon.
4. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
(a) First Senator to serve 30 years in the Senate.
(b) First politician to support Martin Van Buren.
(c) First Senator to change political parties.
(d) First politician to have a duel.
5. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
(a) The need to get more education.
(b) The need to get re-elected.
(c) The need to travel the world.
(d) The need to publish a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
2. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
3. What book did Lamar later say was the first one ever put into his hands to read?
4. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
5. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)