|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It gave the South the idea of secession.
(b) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(c) It made many political allies for Webster.
(d) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
2. How did journalist William Preston Johnson describe the intellectual atmosphere of the Lamar family?
(a) The fatal dowry of genius was upon the house.
(b) There was a black thread of moodiness in all the family.
(c) The Lamars had amassed a huge library.
(d) They were self taught but not uneducated.
3. What was Sen. Albert Beveridge's famous statement after he was defeated for speaking out against the Payne-Aldrich Tariff Act?
(a) I can see now that I should have kept my mouth shut and my mind open.
(b) It is all right, twelve years of hard work, and a clean record; I am content.
(c) The people of Indiana will see the error of their ways one day in the future.
(d) Our country would be better off with an Indian tribe style government of blood and prejudice.
4. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
(a) Clay was a republican and Webster was an independent.
(b) Clay was from the South and Webster was from the North.
(c) Webster had given many speeches opposing Henry Clay.
(d) Clay had always opposed Webster in the Senate before.
5. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
(a) Because Texas would cost too much money.
(b) Because of his commitment to the Union.
(c) Because he disliked Sam Houston.
(d) Because Texas was too big.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
2. What is ironic about Houston as an Indian fighter?
3. What high office did Lamar hold at the end of his career?
4. Who was the Senator from Nebraska who opposed President Woodrow Wilson's Armed Ship Bill?
5. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)