|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
(a) He wanted to bring the prospect of Civil War to a head.
(b) He believed that compromise would eventually lead to abolition.
(c) He thought it would give him power to run for President.
(d) He viewed it as a short-term compromise.
2. How many tickets were printed up for seats during the Johnson Impeachment Trial?
3. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
(a) His god.
(b) His family.
(c) His party.
(d) His people.
4. What does Kennedy suggest is the number of courageous Senators who have put their political lives on the line in order to speak honestly?
(a) He wrote down a list of over fifty.
(b) He said every Senator has that kind of honesty.
(c) The ones in his book are the only ones.
(d) There are too many to name.
5. Why did Taft speak out against the War Crimes Trials and the Nuremberg Trials?
(a) He had supported the Germans during WWII.
(b) He believed the crimes were being tried under an ex post facto law which he felt was unconstitutional and un-American.
(c) He thought the German war criminals should be tried in America.
(d) He advocated letting the Isralies try the German war criminals.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
2. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
3. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
4. Who was the butcher of New Orleans who was the chief prosecutor in Johnson's impeachment trial?
5. What was Sen. Albert Beveridge's famous statement after he was defeated for speaking out against the Payne-Aldrich Tariff Act?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)