|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
2. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
(a) Adams raised his son to always do as his father did regardless of what he thought personally.
(b) Adams was not religious but his son, John Quincey, was a devout Puritan.
(c) Adams had raised his son to do what he believed to be right and that meant opposing his father.
(d) Adams was a stern father but a political liberal.
3. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
(a) The conflict between Congress and the Supreme Court.
(b) The conflict of constituency interest versus national interests.
(c) The conflict between political parties.
(d) The conflict of special interests versus constituency interests.
4. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
(a) Not enough education about courage.
(b) Averice and greed.
(c) Social and public pressures.
(d) Fear of the unknown.
5. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The Christmas Day speech.
(b) The Seventh of March speech.
(c) The First of January speech.
(d) The Independence Day speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
2. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
3. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
4. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
5. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)