|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(b) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
(c) Media bias one way or the other.
(d) Self interest that only looks like courage.
2. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
(a) He could out talk his opponents.
(b) He knew all the words in the dictionary.
(c) He was older than any other politician.
(d) He had strong views against slavery.
3. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
(a) George Washington.
(b) Benjamin Franklin.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
4. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
(a) People rarely took him seriously because of his ability to argue both sides.
(b) He was a politician of popular opinion rather than high principles.
(c) He had the ability to disappoint twice as many people than most elected officials.
(d) Being popular made it difficult for him to compromise.
5. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
(a) He refused to argue against salvery when he went to the Southern states.
(b) He would not address the subject of slavery because he though it would just go away.
(c) He was a strong supporter of the Union and believed compromise on slavery was more important than breaking up the nation.
(d) He did not feel that being a part of a Union that allowed slavery in some territories a viable alternative.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
2. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
3. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
4. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
5. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)