|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
(b) They all served as U. S. Senators.
(c) They were all Republicans.
(d) They were all Democrats.
2. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The First of January speech.
(b) The Christmas Day speech.
(c) The Independence Day speech.
(d) The Seventh of March speech.
3. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A cabinet member.
(c) An ambassador.
(d) A preacher.
4. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His ability to manipulate his father.
(b) His uncompromising religion.
(c) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
(d) His superior attitude toward other politician.
5. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
(a) They were proud of their native son.
(b) They supported him wholeheartedly.
(c) It drew their wrath.
(d) They thought he should run for President.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
2. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
3. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
4. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
5. What is a particular problem on occasion when the electorate presents a desire to the elected official?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)