|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advantage do minority special interest groups have to influence elected officials?
(a) Being articulate and able to sway the public.
(b) Not needing money to get their message across.
(c) Being watchdogs on everything the official does.
(d) Being able to get medial coverage without a budget.
2. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
(a) Clay's bid for re-election.
(b) Re-writing the Bill of Rights to include slavery.
(c) Speaches warning about Abraham Lincoln's political ambitions.
(d) The Great Compromise of 1850.
3. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Media bias one way or the other.
(b) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(c) Self interest that only looks like courage.
(d) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
4. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
(d) Supreme Court Justice.
5. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
(a) Northerns would be able to have slaves legally.
(b) If the Union divided, slavery might even become stronger in the Southern states.
(c) Slavery would eventually dry up because there were fewer traders.
(d) World opinion would eventually settle the question.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
2. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
3. What is a particular problem on occasion when the electorate presents a desire to the elected official?
4. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
5. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)