|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His ability to manipulate his father.
(b) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
(c) His uncompromising religion.
(d) His superior attitude toward other politician.
2. Besides appearing to be disloyal to his father when he aligned himself with Jefferson's politics, what other problem arose for John Quincey Adams?
(a) He was forced to change political parties and lose his seniority.
(b) He lost his political influence for many months.
(c) Disillusionment of his party when he broke with them and voted with Jefferson.
(d) His mother becaue distraught that her son and husband did not agree.
3. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
(a) Fear of the unknown.
(b) Averice and greed.
(c) Social and public pressures.
(d) Not enough education about courage.
4. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
(a) If the Union divided, slavery might even become stronger in the Southern states.
(b) Northerns would be able to have slaves legally.
(c) World opinion would eventually settle the question.
(d) Slavery would eventually dry up because there were fewer traders.
5. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
(b) Self interest that only looks like courage.
(c) Media bias one way or the other.
(d) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
2. What metaphor does Kennedy use to describe the relationship between the elected official and the electorate?
3. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
4. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
5. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)