|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
(a) The need to travel the world.
(b) The need to get more education.
(c) The need to get re-elected.
(d) The need to publish a book.
2. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
(a) The conflict between Congress and the Supreme Court.
(b) The conflict of constituency interest versus national interests.
(c) The conflict of special interests versus constituency interests.
(d) The conflict between political parties.
3. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
(a) Party pressure to vote the party line.
(b) Presidential arm twisting.
(c) Political differences within the official's own family.
(d) National opinion polls.
4. What advantage do minority special interest groups have to influence elected officials?
(a) Being watchdogs on everything the official does.
(b) Not needing money to get their message across.
(c) Being articulate and able to sway the public.
(d) Being able to get medial coverage without a budget.
5. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
(a) Unwavering popularity among the people.
(b) The approval of his father and mother.
(c) A personal fortune so he was not dependent on the voters.
(d) The visible justification of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
2. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
3. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
4. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
5. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)