|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
(a) Making decisions when to satisfy a constituancy will not be what is best for the nation.
(b) Making decisions when you do not have enough information to make good ones.
(c) Making decisions when a fellow Senator or Congressman needs to get a pet project going.
(d) Making decisions that will satisfy everyone in one way or another.
2. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
(a) The conflict of special interests versus constituency interests.
(b) The conflict between political parties.
(c) The conflict of constituency interest versus national interests.
(d) The conflict between Congress and the Supreme Court.
3. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
(a) Party pressure to vote the party line.
(b) National opinion polls.
(c) Political differences within the official's own family.
(d) Presidential arm twisting.
4. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His superior attitude toward other politician.
(b) His ability to manipulate his father.
(c) His uncompromising religion.
(d) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
5. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
(a) The need to be right all the time.
(b) The need to be well liked.
(c) The need to raise campaign money.
(d) The need to be different from other politicians.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage do minority special interest groups have to influence elected officials?
2. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
3. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
4. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
5. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)