|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
(a) Adams had raised his son to do what he believed to be right and that meant opposing his father.
(b) Adams raised his son to always do as his father did regardless of what he thought personally.
(c) Adams was not religious but his son, John Quincey, was a devout Puritan.
(d) Adams was a stern father but a political liberal.
2. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
(a) The east coast, craggy, rocky, somber and strong.
(b) A mighty ship in a storm.
(c) A conflict of interests.
(d) Kennedy's Catholicism.
3. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
(a) Lapses in his Puritanical beliefs.
(b) His hate and retribution against his enemies.
(c) Times of disappointment and hurt at loss of popularity.
(d) Adams secret life of debauchery.
4. What advantage do minority special interest groups have to influence elected officials?
(a) Being able to get medial coverage without a budget.
(b) Not needing money to get their message across.
(c) Being watchdogs on everything the official does.
(d) Being articulate and able to sway the public.
5. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
(a) The visible justification of God.
(b) Unwavering popularity among the people.
(c) A personal fortune so he was not dependent on the voters.
(d) The approval of his father and mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
2. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
3. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
4. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
5. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)