|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
(a) The approval of his father and mother.
(b) Unwavering popularity among the people.
(c) A personal fortune so he was not dependent on the voters.
(d) The visible justification of God.
2. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His uncompromising religion.
(b) His ability to manipulate his father.
(c) His superior attitude toward other politician.
(d) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
3. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
(a) Adams secret life of debauchery.
(b) Times of disappointment and hurt at loss of popularity.
(c) His hate and retribution against his enemies.
(d) Lapses in his Puritanical beliefs.
4. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
(a) Walking on the moon.
(b) Being alone in the desert.
(c) Walking in the difficult landscape of being elected by constituents.
(d) Not being able to care about doing a good job.
5. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
(a) He never married his childhood sweetheart.
(b) He never felt he had accomplished enough.
(c) He never couold live up to his mother's expectations.
(d) He never traveled abroad.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
2. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
3. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
4. In PROFILES IN COURAGE, what does John F. Kennedy fear the American public has forgotten?
5. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)