|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
(a) More education than experience.
(b) More money than anyone else.
(c) The confidence of coming from a strong political family.
(d) Ignorance of the Washington politics.
2. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
(a) The need to travel the world.
(b) The need to publish a book.
(c) The need to get more education.
(d) The need to get re-elected.
3. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
(a) Not being able to care about doing a good job.
(b) Walking in the difficult landscape of being elected by constituents.
(c) Being alone in the desert.
(d) Walking on the moon.
4. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Media bias one way or the other.
(b) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
(c) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(d) Self interest that only looks like courage.
5. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
(a) Presidential arm twisting.
(b) Party pressure to vote the party line.
(c) National opinion polls.
(d) Political differences within the official's own family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
2. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
3. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
4. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
5. What is the example of some advice Kennedy received when he first became a Congressman?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)