|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
(a) He supported communications methods such as the telegraph, the Pony Express and roadways that ran into the country.
(b) He pushed a measure giving extra benefits to leaders of wagon trains.
(c) He voted to give tax breaks to manufacturers of wagons.
(d) He made a Congressional junket to Oregon.
2. What unwanted praise did Norris and his group receive after the filibuster?
(a) Praise from Lenin in Russia.
(b) Praise from the French who also opposed the war.
(c) Praise from the Mexican government.
(d) Praise from the German press.
3. Which senator saved himself from dunking by giving a speech beside the river?
(a) Sen. Stephen Austin of Texas.
(b) Sen. Humphrey Marshall of Kentucky.
(c) Sen. John Adams of Massachusetts.
(d) Sen. Jacob J. Javits of New York.
4. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
(a) Presidential arm twisting.
(b) Political differences within the official's own family.
(c) National opinion polls.
(d) Party pressure to vote the party line.
5. What were the results of Norris' opposition of President Wilson on the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) He was taken off all Senate committees.
(b) He was vilified for acting against the President.
(c) He resigned his seat in the Senate.
(d) He was recalled by Nebraska.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the examples in Kennedy's book speak of courage in what arena?
2. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
3. Where did Houston deliver his acceptance speech after being elected Governor as an independent?
4. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
5. What famous piece of legislation bears Robert A. Taft's name?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)