Eight Week Quiz E
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
(a) His outstanding education.
(b) His handsomeand commanding appearance.
(c) His ability to make friends easily.
(d) His political connections.
2. How was Lamar similar to author Joel Harris?
(a) Lamar, like Harris, told tales about the South.
(b) Lamar had a pet named Br'er Rabbit.
(c) Lamar, like Harris, was a graduate of Oxford.
(d) Lamar wrote a book called Tunes of the South.
3. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
(a) Joe Cannon.
(b) John Dalzell.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) Walter Smith.
4. What is a constant that an elected official must understand?
(a) That once elected, the official is no longer responsible to the constituency.
(b) The media will not report anything the elected official does not want made public.
(c) He or she is under scrutiny by the constituency.
(d) He or she will never hear from the constituency until election day.
5. To whom was Ross compared in a Kansas newspaper editorial?
(a) Thomas Payne.
(b) Marc Anthony
(c) Benedict Arnold.
(d) Judas Escariot
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Norris oppose the Armed Ship Bill when his state seemed to favor it?
2. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
3. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
4. What is ironic about Houston as an Indian fighter?
5. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)