|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
(a) He never felt he had accomplished enough.
(b) He never traveled abroad.
(c) He never couold live up to his mother's expectations.
(d) He never married his childhood sweetheart.
2. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
(a) First politician to support Martin Van Buren.
(b) First Senator to change political parties.
(c) First politician to have a duel.
(d) First Senator to serve 30 years in the Senate.
3. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
(a) 50 fathoms deep into the middle of hell fire.
(b) Right in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
(c) A thousand miles north of the Mason Dixon Line.
(d) Out of politics altogether.
4. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
(a) Averice and greed.
(b) Social and public pressures.
(c) Fear of the unknown.
(d) Not enough education about courage.
5. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
(a) He considered them gifts from God and from voters or constituents who Webster believed were created in God's image.
(b) He shared the gifts with other Senators and Congressmen.
(c) He used everything he collected for his favorite charities.
(d) He published his gifts in the newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
2. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
3. Besides appearing to be disloyal to his father when he aligned himself with Jefferson's politics, what other problem arose for John Quincey Adams?
4. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
5. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)