Four Week Quiz B
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
(a) First Senator to change political parties.
(b) First politician to have a duel.
(c) First Senator to serve 30 years in the Senate.
(d) First politician to support Martin Van Buren.
2. How did Norris attack Joe Cannon's power?
(a) Impeachment threats against the Speaker of the House.
(b) Filibusters on every issue that Cannon favored.
(c) A resolution requiring the entire House to study and amend a resolution, rather than just allow the Speaker to appoint a committee.
(d) Press conferences informing the public of Cannon's abuse of power.
3. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
(a) Pushing for more and more farm subsidies.
(b) Standing by his Secretary of the Interior against opposition from Pinchot and Roosevelt.
(c) Denouncing Woodrow Wilson for his mishandling of WWI.
(d) Forecasting that America would go to war with Germany and Japan.
4. What metaphor does Kennedy use to describe the relationship between the elected official and the electorate?
(a) A lawyer-client relationship.
(b) A coach-team relationship.
(c) A doctor-patient relationship.
(d) A father-child relationship.
5. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
(a) If I had voted for it as directed I should have cast my first vote against my conscience.
(b) The directions for how I should vote arrived after the vote had already been taken.
(c) I believe that statesmanship is dead in the South.
(d) My vote was unimportant in a Senate populated with Radical Republicans and Democrats.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which senator saved himself from dunking by giving a speech beside the river?
2. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
3. What earned Houston the name of traitor and pro-Abolitionist?
4. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
5. Why was Norris' candidate for President unpopular in 1928?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)