|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
(a) His ability to make friends easily.
(b) His political connections.
(c) His handsomeand commanding appearance.
(d) His outstanding education.
2. What characteristic of Sen. Taft did Kennedy suggest might best be judged after many years?
(a) How he inspired loyal devotees as well as bitter enemies.
(b) How he refrained from speaking his mind on controversial political issure.
(c) How he managed to appear charming when he was destroying an enemy.
(d) How he accepted Socialist philosophy.
3. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
(a) His purpose was to get re-elected President for a full term.
(b) His purpose was to carry out Lincoln's reconstruction plans.
(c) His purpose was to see that the Southern States were severely punished.
(d) His purpose was to establish a political stronghold for himself.
4. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
(a) Pushing for more and more farm subsidies.
(b) Standing by his Secretary of the Interior against opposition from Pinchot and Roosevelt.
(c) Denouncing Woodrow Wilson for his mishandling of WWI.
(d) Forecasting that America would go to war with Germany and Japan.
5. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It made many political allies for Webster.
(b) It gave the South the idea of secession.
(c) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(d) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
2. Taft supported education, health, housing, and other welfare programs against his normal conservative Republicanism. Why?
3. What were the circumstances that brought Edmund G. Ross to Congress as Senator from Kansas?
4. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
5. Which bitter rival of Sen. Robert A. Taft actually ended up in the White House?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)