|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
(a) Webster was offered a bfribe which he nearly accepted.
(b) Webster appointed his relatives to Senate jobs.
(c) Webster lied under oath in a Senate hearing.
(d) Businesses who benefited from his help paid off his debts so he could remain in the senate.
2. What memorable line did the Toledo BLADE print about Taft after he decried the Nuremberg trials?
(a) He has a wonderful mind that knows practically everything and understands practically nothing.
(b) He has no feeling about the soup kitchens of 1932 but supports Nazi criminals.
(c) This is not the time to weaken the punishment of international crimes.
(d) That Taft wanted to let loose on the world a terrible gang of cutthroats.
3. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(b) It made many political allies for Webster.
(c) It gave the South the idea of secession.
(d) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
4. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
(a) He did not feel that being a part of a Union that allowed slavery in some territories a viable alternative.
(b) He was a strong supporter of the Union and believed compromise on slavery was more important than breaking up the nation.
(c) He would not address the subject of slavery because he though it would just go away.
(d) He refused to argue against salvery when he went to the Southern states.
5. Why did Taft speak out against the War Crimes Trials and the Nuremberg Trials?
(a) He had supported the Germans during WWII.
(b) He believed the crimes were being tried under an ex post facto law which he felt was unconstitutional and un-American.
(c) He thought the German war criminals should be tried in America.
(d) He advocated letting the Isralies try the German war criminals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous piece of legislation bears Robert A. Taft's name?
2. Which bitter rival of Sen. Robert A. Taft actually ended up in the White House?
3. What characteristic of Sen. Taft did Kennedy suggest might best be judged after many years?
4. What did Robert A. Taft have in common with John Quincey Adams?
5. What were the circumstances that brought Edmund G. Ross to Congress as Senator from Kansas?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)