|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Robert A. Taft have in common with John Quincey Adams?
(a) They were both Quakers.
(b) Both of their fathers had served as President of the USA.
(c) They both went to the same university.
(d) They both went on to serve on the Supreme Court.
2. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
3. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
(a) Webster had no compunction against taking money for political favors.
(b) Webster had many affairs his wife did not know about.
(c) Webster was a compulsive gambler.
(d) Webster was an alcoholic and often lost track of time.
4. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
(a) Denouncing Woodrow Wilson for his mishandling of WWI.
(b) Forecasting that America would go to war with Germany and Japan.
(c) Pushing for more and more farm subsidies.
(d) Standing by his Secretary of the Interior against opposition from Pinchot and Roosevelt.
5. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
(a) Being popular made it difficult for him to compromise.
(b) He had the ability to disappoint twice as many people than most elected officials.
(c) People rarely took him seriously because of his ability to argue both sides.
(d) He was a politician of popular opinion rather than high principles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
2. Taft's words on freedom of thought, freedom from orthodox dogma, and the right to think for oneself are his definition of what?
3. How did Ross describe his feelings just before he cast his not guilty vote?
4. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
5. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)