|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Ross targeted for surveillance and harassment before the Johnson trial.
(a) He kept silent on how he might vote.
(b) Stanton thought he could intimidate Ross with his military connections.
(c) Both sides believed he was weak willed.
(d) He was using his secret to gain political notariety.
2. Why did Taft speak out against the War Crimes Trials and the Nuremberg Trials?
(a) He had supported the Germans during WWII.
(b) He thought the German war criminals should be tried in America.
(c) He advocated letting the Isralies try the German war criminals.
(d) He believed the crimes were being tried under an ex post facto law which he felt was unconstitutional and un-American.
3. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The Christmas Day speech.
(b) The Independence Day speech.
(c) The First of January speech.
(d) The Seventh of March speech.
4. How many votes were needed to convict the President?
5. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
(a) He shared the gifts with other Senators and Congressmen.
(b) He used everything he collected for his favorite charities.
(c) He considered them gifts from God and from voters or constituents who Webster believed were created in God's image.
(d) He published his gifts in the newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the six Republicans say they would not vote to convict President Johnson?
2. What famous piece of legislation bears Robert A. Taft's name?
3. What memorable line did the Toledo BLADE print about Taft after he decried the Nuremberg trials?
4. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
5. What characteristic of Sen. Taft did Kennedy suggest might best be judged after many years?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)