|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opinion did Taft share with Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas?
(a) That the Axis prisoners should not be allowed representation by lawyers.
(b) That the Constitution of the USA allowed for ex post facto prosecutions.
(c) That the Axis war crimes trials went against every principle of American justice.
(d) That the Axis war crimes trials did not try the real offenders.
2. On what basis did Edmund G. Ross claim his right not to decide until all the evidence was presented against Johnson.
(a) He was trying to get bribe money for his vote.
(b) He had taken the oath of impartiality.
(c) He wanted the publicity.
(d) He thought it was all a big joke.
3. What were the circumstances that brought Edmund G. Ross to Congress as Senator from Kansas?
(a) He was sent after a recall of Senator Lane.
(b) A landslide vote of the Kansas people.
(c) The suicide of his predecessor, Senator Jim Lane.
(d) The resignation of Senator Lane who was a reconstructionist.
4. Why did the six Republicans say they would not vote to convict President Johnson?
(a) They said they didn't need to vote because there was a 36 majority anyway.
(b) They said the evidence was not sufficient.
(c) They said some Prepblicans should vote no to make the party look unbiased.
(d) They came from conservative states.
5. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
(a) He viewed it as a short-term compromise.
(b) He believed that compromise would eventually lead to abolition.
(c) He thought it would give him power to run for President.
(d) He wanted to bring the prospect of Civil War to a head.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ross describe his feelings just before he cast his not guilty vote?
2. What was Ross' military experience?
3. Why was it so surprising to the Radical Republicans that Ross would not announce his vote before the trial began?
4. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
5. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)