|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opinion did Taft share with Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas?
(a) That the Axis war crimes trials did not try the real offenders.
(b) That the Constitution of the USA allowed for ex post facto prosecutions.
(c) That the Axis prisoners should not be allowed representation by lawyers.
(d) That the Axis war crimes trials went against every principle of American justice.
2. What was Ross' military experience?
(a) The Kansas Free State Army and the Union Army.
(b) The Ohio Militia and the Confederate Army.
(c) The Republic of Texas Army and the Union Army.
(d) The Union Army and the Union Navy.
3. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
(a) The moral question of accepting money and gifts for Webster was not an issue for him.
(b) He felt he was entitled to extra benefits for his service to the Union.
(c) He accepted money and gifts but always did only what he thought was right.
(d) He never let that happen to him.
4. How had President Johnson come to power?
(a) He succeeded Lincoln after the assassination.
(b) He was popularly elected President by the people.
(c) He was appointed by Congress.
(d) He had President Lincoln assassinated.
5. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
(a) Webster lied under oath in a Senate hearing.
(b) Businesses who benefited from his help paid off his debts so he could remain in the senate.
(c) Webster appointed his relatives to Senate jobs.
(d) Webster was offered a bfribe which he nearly accepted.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many votes were needed to convict the President?
2. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
3. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
4. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
5. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)