|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The First of January speech.
(b) The Christmas Day speech.
(c) The Seventh of March speech.
(d) The Independence Day speech.
2. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
(a) Webster had given many speeches opposing Henry Clay.
(b) Clay had always opposed Webster in the Senate before.
(c) Clay was from the South and Webster was from the North.
(d) Clay was a republican and Webster was an independent.
3. What characteristic of Sen. Taft did Kennedy suggest might best be judged after many years?
(a) How he managed to appear charming when he was destroying an enemy.
(b) How he inspired loyal devotees as well as bitter enemies.
(c) How he accepted Socialist philosophy.
(d) How he refrained from speaking his mind on controversial political issure.
4. How did Taft's candor cause him to lose his party's nomination for President?
(a) His candor caused him to be overly tactful.
(b) His answers were always truthful and very often blunt.
(c) He did not always say exactly what he meant.
(d) People thought you could not trust a man like that.
5. What were the circumstances that brought Edmund G. Ross to Congress as Senator from Kansas?
(a) The resignation of Senator Lane who was a reconstructionist.
(b) The suicide of his predecessor, Senator Jim Lane.
(c) He was sent after a recall of Senator Lane.
(d) A landslide vote of the Kansas people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
2. What was Ross' military experience?
3. What memorable line did the Toledo BLADE print about Taft after he decried the Nuremberg trials?
4. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
5. To whom was Ross compared in a Kansas newspaper editorial?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)