|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What apparently happened to Leo and Ulla in Rio?
2. What does Ulla do before she runs backstage for costume and makeup in act 2, scene 3?
3. What has Ulla done to the office at the beginning of Act 2?
4. What is the signature song Max and Leo's musical?
5. What song do Roger, Carmen, and Franz sing to Leo in act 2, scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max's morality is called severely into question several times throughout the play. Focus on the little old ladies and his treatment of them. Make a case that Max is a bad person for how he used them or that he was in a morally gray area because he gives them whatever they want.
Essay Topic 2
Mel Brooks introduces a few female characters who are mostly played for laughs: Ulla and Hold Me-Touch Me (as well as the other little old ladies). Is his treatment of these characters sexist? Why or why not? Points to consider:
1) How the male characters treat the female characters.
2) How the female characters view themselves.
3) The use of sex with these characters.
Create a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Through The Producers, groups of people and stereotypes are used for laughs (for example, the homosexual production crew and Ulla being a "dumb blond"). However, the only group that is openly mocked and thought of derisively is the Nazi party. Explore the differences in humor between one group and the other. How can all these groups people be played for laughs, though only one group is ever done with the intention of mocking? What is the playwright's intent in this? Does it seem to be deliberate? Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)