|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leo intend to do after their play debuted?
2. Who must Roger hug during curtain call instead of Carmen Ghia?
3. What does Leo believe will prepare him for the uncertainty of love?
4. What has Ulla done to the office at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What does Max give to Leo in act 2, scene 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following topics to write about:
1) Use of wordplay in Ulla's character.
2) The stereotypes of the gay community during the scene at Roger's apartment.
3) Theatrical superstition in the script.
Essay Topic 2
One comedy style used heavily in this play is parody. Because of Max and Leo's poor producing of Springtime for Hitler (already a terrible script) and Roger's flamboyant portrayal of Hitler, the audiences believe that the show is meant to be comical parody. Discuss how this misconception happened. Include the former points and take into account the time period the play is meant to be set in. Cite specific examples from the script to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
How is the author of this play able to use a musical such as Springtime for Hitler? Why is he able to make it funny? What are the intentions of the author in turning the musical within a musical into a joke?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)