|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Max feeling hurt in act 2, scene 6?
2. Who is leading the chorus girls during act 2, scene 8?
3. What song do Roger, Carmen, and Franz sing to Leo in act 2, scene 3?
4. Where is Leo during act 2, scene 6?
5. How is Max declared in court during the trial of act 2, scene 7?
Essay Topic 1
Mel Brooks introduces a few female characters who are mostly played for laughs: Ulla and Hold Me-Touch Me (as well as the other little old ladies). Is his treatment of these characters sexist? Why or why not? Points to consider:
1) How the male characters treat the female characters.
2) How the female characters view themselves.
3) The use of sex with these characters.
Create a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Max's morality is called severely into question several times throughout the play. Focus on the little old ladies and his treatment of them. Make a case that Max is a bad person for how he used them or that he was in a morally gray area because he gives them whatever they want.
Essay Topic 3
How is the author of this play able to use a musical such as Springtime for Hitler? Why is he able to make it funny? What are the intentions of the author in turning the musical within a musical into a joke?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)