|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Max taken at the end of act 2, scene 5?
2. Where is Leo during act 2, scene 6?
3. When does act 2, scene 6 take place?
4. In act 2, scene 2, for which character in Springtime for Hitler are all the actors onstage auditioning?
5. What has Ulla done to the office at the beginning of Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is The Producers set in 1959? How is it significant to the story? To the characters? How would an audience in 1959 react to a sympathetic musical about Hitler? Could this musical be set in any other period of time? Why or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how each of these styles of comedy is used within The Producers:
3) Character comedy.
Essay Topic 3
Mel Brooks introduces a few female characters who are mostly played for laughs: Ulla and Hold Me-Touch Me (as well as the other little old ladies). Is his treatment of these characters sexist? Why or why not? Points to consider:
1) How the male characters treat the female characters.
2) How the female characters view themselves.
3) The use of sex with these characters.
Create a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the text.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)