|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Franz runs backstage when act 2, scene 3?
2. What does Max say is worse than being guilty in act 2, scene 7?
3. What does Leo do after Ulla kisses him in act 2, scene 1?
4. What do Max and Leo sing about together in the courtroom in act 2, scene 7?
5. Who is leading the chorus girls during act 2, scene 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Leo's character develop over the course of the play? What changes in him? What stays the same? Why does he change? Include in your answer points about his friendship with Max, the romance with Ulla, and how Leo left for Rio after their show did not flop.
Essay Topic 2
Why is The Producers set in 1959? How is it significant to the story? To the characters? How would an audience in 1959 react to a sympathetic musical about Hitler? Could this musical be set in any other period of time? Why or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Describe, in detail, the behind-the-scenes and on-stage production of Springtime for Hitler. Include the following:
1) The differences of Franz, Roger, and Max's visions of the play.
2) Roger's portrayal of Hitler.
3) Ulla's role in the play.
4) German stereotypes and cliches.
5) The outcome of the performance.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)