|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the other side of the sign the workman puts up in act 2, scene 3?
2. What does Franz claim about Hitler?
3. What is the musical Max is directing the prisoners in during act 2, scene 8?
4. What offends Franz during the singing portion of the audition in act 2, scene 2?
5. When does act 2, scene 6 take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the significance of the author and the lead characters of The Producers being Jewish. Include the following:
Part 1) The treatment of Springtime for Hitler.
Part 2) Leo and Max's reactions to Franz.
Part 3) The irony of two Jewish men putting on a play about a sympathetic Hitler.
Part 4) The author's intentions in mocking Hitler and the Nazi party.
Create a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the script to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Why is The Producers set in 1959? How is it significant to the story? To the characters? How would an audience in 1959 react to a sympathetic musical about Hitler? Could this musical be set in any other period of time? Why or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following topics to write about:
1) Use of wordplay in Ulla's character.
2) The stereotypes of the gay community during the scene at Roger's apartment.
3) Theatrical superstition in the script.
This section contains 317 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)