|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Max, Leo, and Franz pardoned by the governor while in prison during act 2, scene 8?
2. What apparently happened to Leo and Ulla in Rio?
3. Where is Leo during act 2, scene 6?
4. Where is Max taken at the end of act 2, scene 5?
5. What does Ulla do before she runs backstage for costume and makeup in act 2, scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how each of these styles of comedy is used within The Producers:
3) Character comedy.
Essay Topic 2
How is the author of this play able to use a musical such as Springtime for Hitler? Why is he able to make it funny? What are the intentions of the author in turning the musical within a musical into a joke?
Essay Topic 3
Through The Producers, groups of people and stereotypes are used for laughs (for example, the homosexual production crew and Ulla being a "dumb blond"). However, the only group that is openly mocked and thought of derisively is the Nazi party. Explore the differences in humor between one group and the other. How can all these groups people be played for laughs, though only one group is ever done with the intention of mocking? What is the playwright's intent in this? Does it seem to be deliberate? Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)