|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Max and Leo commit to doing together at the end of the show?
2. What apparently happened to Leo and Ulla in Rio?
3. Who is directing the dancers in their audition for Springtime for Hitler in act 2, scene 2?
4. What song do Roger, Carmen, and Franz sing to Leo in act 2, scene 3?
5. What does Max give to Leo in act 2, scene 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max and Leo are the center of The Producers, particularly the evolution of their friendship and how it changes them. Cite specific examples from the script.
Part 1) Compare and contrast Max and Leo. How are the men similar? How are they different?
Part 2) How does Max and Leo change over the course of the play? Do they change each other? How is this known?
Part 3) How does Leo's abandonment of Max test their friendship? Why Leo leave him?
Part 4) What do each of men teach each other? Do they emerge from their ordeal better people?
Essay Topic 2
Mel Brooks introduces a few female characters who are mostly played for laughs: Ulla and Hold Me-Touch Me (as well as the other little old ladies). Is his treatment of these characters sexist? Why or why not? Points to consider:
1) How the male characters treat the female characters.
2) How the female characters view themselves.
3) The use of sex with these characters.
Create a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
How does Leo's character develop over the course of the play? What changes in him? What stays the same? Why does he change? Include in your answer points about his friendship with Max, the romance with Ulla, and how Leo left for Rio after their show did not flop.
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)