|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the off-stage action with Franz noted on stage in act 2, scene 3?
2. Where is Leo during act 2, scene 6?
3. Why is Max angry at Roger in act 2, scene 5?
4. What do Max and Leo commit to doing together at the end of the show?
5. What happens when Franz runs backstage when act 2, scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mel Brooks introduces a few female characters who are mostly played for laughs: Ulla and Hold Me-Touch Me (as well as the other little old ladies). Is his treatment of these characters sexist? Why or why not? Points to consider:
1) How the male characters treat the female characters.
2) How the female characters view themselves.
3) The use of sex with these characters.
Create a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Max's morality is called severely into question several times throughout the play. Focus on the little old ladies and his treatment of them. Make a case that Max is a bad person for how he used them or that he was in a morally gray area because he gives them whatever they want.
Essay Topic 3
The Producers is a musical comedy, meaning that there are several songs and dance sequences that take place throughout the show. Discuss the play as a musical. What does music add to the show? What does the show lose by being a musical? What are the defining qualities of a musical and how is it exemplified in The Producers? Does the show itself ever self-mock for being a musical? Cite specific examples from the text to support your statements.
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)