|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Max taken at the end of act 2, scene 5?
2. What is the signature song Max and Leo's musical?
3. What formation does the goose-stepping, storm trooper chorus form during the big dance sequence in Springtime for Hitler in act 2, scene 3?
4. What do Max and Leo sing about in act 2, scene 9?
5. What does Leo send Max in act 2, scene 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through The Producers, groups of people and stereotypes are used for laughs (for example, the homosexual production crew and Ulla being a "dumb blond"). However, the only group that is openly mocked and thought of derisively is the Nazi party. Explore the differences in humor between one group and the other. How can all these groups people be played for laughs, though only one group is ever done with the intention of mocking? What is the playwright's intent in this? Does it seem to be deliberate? Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
One comedy style used heavily in this play is parody. Because of Max and Leo's poor producing of Springtime for Hitler (already a terrible script) and Roger's flamboyant portrayal of Hitler, the audiences believe that the show is meant to be comical parody. Discuss how this misconception happened. Include the former points and take into account the time period the play is meant to be set in. Cite specific examples from the script to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) The significance of Roger hugging Ulla and not Carmen at curtain call.
2) The people who will be hurt by Max and Leo's scheme.
3) The rituals and singing that Max and Leo must do to appease Franz for the rights to his play.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)