|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the character of Hitler end up standing at the end of the musical in act 2, scene 3?
2. What does Max tell Leo to do when he returns to the office in act 2, scene 1?
3. Where does act 2, scene 2 take place?
4. Who joins Max, Leo, and Ulla during act 2, scene 2?
5. What is the musical Max is directing the prisoners in during act 2, scene 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is The Producers set in 1959? How is it significant to the story? To the characters? How would an audience in 1959 react to a sympathetic musical about Hitler? Could this musical be set in any other period of time? Why or why not? Cite specific examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the significance of the author and the lead characters of The Producers being Jewish. Include the following:
Part 1) The treatment of Springtime for Hitler.
Part 2) Leo and Max's reactions to Franz.
Part 3) The irony of two Jewish men putting on a play about a sympathetic Hitler.
Part 4) The author's intentions in mocking Hitler and the Nazi party.
Create a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the script to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Mel Brooks introduces a few female characters who are mostly played for laughs: Ulla and Hold Me-Touch Me (as well as the other little old ladies). Is his treatment of these characters sexist? Why or why not? Points to consider:
1) How the male characters treat the female characters.
2) How the female characters view themselves.
3) The use of sex with these characters.
Create a strong thesis and cite specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)