|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Max and Leo initially believe when they walk into their office at the beginning of Act 2?
2. What happens to Max and Leo at the end of act 2, scene 7?
3. What is Leo's reaction to Ulla when they are alone in act 2, scene 1?
4. Who is directing the dancers in their audition for Springtime for Hitler in act 2, scene 2?
5. What does Ulla have to remind Max and Leo about after Max's return to the office in act 2, scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through The Producers, groups of people and stereotypes are used for laughs (for example, the homosexual production crew and Ulla being a "dumb blond"). However, the only group that is openly mocked and thought of derisively is the Nazi party. Explore the differences in humor between one group and the other. How can all these groups people be played for laughs, though only one group is ever done with the intention of mocking? What is the playwright's intent in this? Does it seem to be deliberate? Cite specific examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Another theme of The Producers is in redemption. How does Max seek redemption throughout the play? How does Leo find redemption? How does Franz attempt to do this for Hitler? What other characters are seeking to redeem themselves in this show? What is the playwright's intent by having all these characters come together? Do they succeed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the character of Ulla, the archetype of the "dumb blond" is brought into the show. However, in many ways, Ulla defies that particular stereotype. Write an essay about how Ulla manages to simultaneously embody the stereotype while being her own character.
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)