|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it at the beginning of act 1, scene 5?
2. What is the first piece of music heard in this show?
3. Who is Roger DeBris?
4. Who appears out of the cupboards in Leo's office during his fantasy in act 1, scene 3?
5. What song do Roger and his team sing in act 1, scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Max and Leo convince Roger to direct Springtime for Hitler?
2. How is Leo atypical from the other accountants?
3. What is Franz's mission with his script?
4. Describe the production of Springtime for Hitler.
5. How is Max's treatment of the old ladies different from how everyone views him at the end of the act?
6. Why is Leo absent in act 2, scene 6?
7. What is Leo's analysis of the possibility of going to jail?
8. What has happened throughout the day that forces Leo to quit his job?
9. What are Max and Leo's plans for the future at the end of the musical?
10. What is significant about the Homburg-style hat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Producers is a musical comedy, meaning that there are several songs and dance sequences that take place throughout the show. Discuss the play as a musical. What does music add to the show? What does the show lose by being a musical? What are the defining qualities of a musical and how is it exemplified in The Producers? Does the show itself ever self-mock for being a musical? Cite specific examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) The significance of Roger hugging Ulla and not Carmen at curtain call.
2) The people who will be hurt by Max and Leo's scheme.
3) The rituals and singing that Max and Leo must do to appease Franz for the rights to his play.
Essay Topic 3
Max's morality is called severely into question several times throughout the play. Focus on the little old ladies and his treatment of them. Make a case that Max is a bad person for how he used them or that he was in a morally gray area because he gives them whatever they want.
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)