|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Max vow to do at the end of act 1, scene 1?
2. Who is the author of the play Max finds in act 1, scene 5?
3. What is Max Bialystock's profession?
4. According to Max, what must the author of the play be used to?
5. What is Max hoping to find in act 1, scene 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Roger end up playing Hitler?
2. How is Max responsible for Leo's absence in act 2, scene 6?
3. How are the auditions run for Springtime for Hitler?
4. How does Leo end up coming to Max's defense in the courtroom?
5. How does Leo act around Ulla in act 2, scene 1?
6. Who is Hold-Me Touch-Me?
7. Why does Max need Leo's help?
8. What is the point of having Franz talk to pigeons?
9. What is significant about Leo dropping his blue blanket in act 2, scene 1?
10. What is Leo's analysis of the possibility of going to jail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Max and Leo are the center of The Producers, particularly the evolution of their friendship and how it changes them. Cite specific examples from the script.
Part 1) Compare and contrast Max and Leo. How are the men similar? How are they different?
Part 2) How does Max and Leo change over the course of the play? Do they change each other? How is this known?
Part 3) How does Leo's abandonment of Max test their friendship? Why Leo leave him?
Part 4) What do each of men teach each other? Do they emerge from their ordeal better people?
Essay Topic 2
The Producers is a musical comedy, meaning that there are several songs and dance sequences that take place throughout the show. Discuss the play as a musical. What does music add to the show? What does the show lose by being a musical? What are the defining qualities of a musical and how is it exemplified in The Producers? Does the show itself ever self-mock for being a musical? Cite specific examples from the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
How does Leo's character develop over the course of the play? What changes in him? What stays the same? Why does he change? Include in your answer points about his friendship with Max, the romance with Ulla, and how Leo left for Rio after their show did not flop.
This section contains 2,060 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)