|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rumor around town about Lusa?
2. Why does Lusa think her garden looks different from other people's?
3. As a child, what did Lusa raise in shoeboxes?
4. In Chapter 31, what does the coyote smell?
5. What kind of surgery does Garnett's doctor want him to have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the snake, leaving the cabin, symbolize for Deanna, in Chapter 22?
2. What do Nannie and Garnett call each other, at the end of Chapter 28?
3. In Chapter 23, what are Garnett and Nannie's differing views on old age?
4. What does Hannie-Mavis tell Lusa is the real reason that Cole's family does not seem to embrace her?
5. In Chapter 30, Lusa starts to think of Cole in a different manner. What is this?
6. In Chapter 25, what does Deanna remember as the closest thing to an explanation of the birds and the bees that she ever got?
7. Why is the first cold day a day that Deanna will never forget?
8. Nannie is upset because the church fumigated for bees and now honey is oozing out of the walls. What does she think they should have done instead?
9. In Chapter 30, Lusa is finally beginning to feel like what?
10. What is the "decrease predator - increase prey" concept that Deanna tries to explain to Eddie in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although we never meet the character, Garnett Sheldon Walker IV, we learn about him from conversations in the novel. Describe the character, based on conversations of Garnett (his father) and Jewel. What was his upbringing like? How did his parents treat him? What did he do to warrant having to leave town and to be disowned by his father? How did he treat Jewel and the children? What are their opinions of him?
Essay Topic 2
In "Prodigal Summer", Nannie attempts to explain the "Volterra Principle" to Garnett. Explain, in depth, what this is. What does it have to do with pesticide use? Why, according to Nannie, is it being kept quiet and by whom?
Essay Topic 3
During Deanna's stay on the mountain, she has become a dedicated, hard-working ranger, with little interest in the outside world. When Eddie Bondo arrives, everything changes. Cite three examples from the book that illustrate changes for Deanna, after his arrival. Be sure to include professional and personal changes. Are these changes solely due to Eddie? Are they positive or negative?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)