|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lusa wear to her husband's wake?
2. What is the last name of the person that built Deanna's cabin?
3. What are Eddie & Deanna searching for in Chapter 13?
4. What does Garnett blame for the pests on his property?
5. Where do Deanna & Eddie "complete their introduction"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lusa feel that the townspeople look at her, since Cole's death?
2. What is the ritual for traditional Muslin prayer?
3. Why is Garnett disheartened by the farms in the area?
4. According to Garnett's religious beliefs, when is it okay for an animal species to go extinct?
5. Do you think the way the townspeople treat Lusa at Cole's wake is right?
6. Why does Deanna physically attack Eddie, in Chapter 7?
7. What is Eddie like, at the beginning of the book and how does Deanna react to him?
8. What does Nannie need to do to keep her organic farming certification valid?
9. Why does Lusa feel that her new sisters-in-law do not like her?
10. What is Deanna's main defense of coyotes, concerning the killing of farm livestock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Garnett appears to have a strong faith, in "Prodigal Summer", and likes to quote scripture. However, some of his opinions seem to contradict, not only the Bible, but also what some might view as a "Christian" attitude. Cite three examples from the book that would support this view. Be sure to address stereotypes, judging others, and views on animals' place on earth. Are Garnett's interpretations of the Bible solely to support his own views or do you think that he honestly believes them?
Essay Topic 2
Nannie and Garnett have very different opinions on the aging process and this causes conflict in their relationship. Explain both of their views on this subject. Why do they feel this way? Does their view of this affect their every-day life? Do you think either view is better or more appropriate? Do you think either view would lead to a happier life?
Essay Topic 3
In "Prodigal Summer", Nannie attempts to explain the "Volterra Principle" to Garnett. Explain, in depth, what this is. What does it have to do with pesticide use? Why, according to Nannie, is it being kept quiet and by whom?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)