|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Victor and Sibyl discover that their spouses ran away together?
2. What is the name of the man who used to love and admire Amanda?
3. When he starts getting angry, what does Amanda accuse Elyot of being?
4. What does Elyot tell the person calling Amanda's flat with the wrong number?
5. What annoys Amanda the most about Elyot's reaction to her post-marriage affairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Victor and Sibyl appear to be two dimensional characters who are firmly stuck in their roles as man and woman. Do you consider these characters to be particularly intelligent? Does their intelligence or lack thereof affect their exaggerated femininity or masculinity? What are some specific examples of these characteristics? How do the other characters react to these qualities? Do you believe that these exaggerations cause their big breakdown at the very end of the play? Were they forced out of their passive roles by Amanda and Elyot's rampant challenging of how men and women are expected to act?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the character of Louise. Why is she included in the play? What is the purpose of Sibyl and Victor not being able to understand her foreign language? What does she add to the overall arch of the play?
Essay Topic 3
"Private Lives" is known for sharp, witty dialogue. What role does the dialogue play in this story? How does it add to the plot, humor, and character development?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)