|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elyot tell Amanda to turn the gramophone off?
2. During their first period of silence, what do Amanda and Elyot do?
3. What is Elyot wearing in Act II?
4. What does Amanda start to do to Elyot during their final fight?
5. According to Amanda, what did Victor love to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that initially attracted Amanda to Victor?
2. Elyot muses that he and Amanda are clearly in love after they have a small tiff. Amanda protests that he should not sound so bitter about the fact. Why would Elyot sound bitter or resigned when saying that he and Amanda are in love?
3. Why are Amanda and Elyot reluctant to discuss another marriage?
4. In Act II, what does Elyot say that reveals his philosophy on life?
5. Why does Elyot say that, despite their current happiness, being separated was probably for the best?
6. Why does Amanda call out "triple Sollocks?"
7. What two things does Elyot do that annoy Amanda that leads up to their biggest fight?
8. Why does it seem that Elyot and Amanda are able to forgive each other silently during their time-outs?
9. What do the reactions of Victor and Sibyl to the spectacle of Amanda and Elyot fighting suggest about their personalities?
10. How do Amanda and Elyot's feelings differ on the abandonment of Sibyl and Victor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amanda and Elyot have a deep, involved history of being passionately in love and being just as violently hateful toward each other.
1) Compare and contrast the relationship between Amanda and Elyot versus their relationships with Victor and Sibyl. Discuss the similarities and differences using specific examples from the script.
2) How do you believe the new marriages would have worked out had Elyot and Amanda not run away together? Specifically, would Elyot and Amanda have been able to reconcile their "private lives" to their new spouses?
3) In your opinion, should Elyot and Amanda ever again attempt to stay together? Support your arguments with specific examples from the script.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the character of Louise. Why is she included in the play? What is the purpose of Sibyl and Victor not being able to understand her foreign language? What does she add to the overall arch of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Elyot claims that women are all manipulative and crafty. Do you believe that Amanda and Sibyl are particularly manipulative? If they both are manipulative, is it in the same way and to achieve the same goals? Why or why not? What is the point of the manipulations? Are Victor and Elyot manipulative as well?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)