|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where do Elyot and Amanda plan to run away?
2. Which factor does NOT contribute to the rekindling of Elyot and Amanda's love for each other?
3. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
4. According to Elyot, how does he feel about Amanda?
5. What is the other option presented for Amanda and Elyot if they choose to not run away?
Short Essay Questions
1. To Sibyl's dismay, Elyot does not care for her mother and believes that Sibyl married him in part to escape her. What do the differing attitudes about the mother reveal about Sibyl's character?
2. What would be the best way to describe the relationship between each of the married couples?
3. Amanda describes her marriage to Elyot as, "two violent acids bubbling about in a nasty little matrimonial bottle." Why would she use those words and what images do they provoke?
4. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose Paris to run away to?
5. What does Elyot mean when he claims that he and Amanda were too in love for their relationship to last?
6. What does Elyot's pastime of traveling the world imply about his character?
7. Why do Elyot and Amanda both lie to their spouses about the reasons they should leave the hotel instead of just telling the truth?
8. In Act I, Amanda proclaims to Victor that women should hold some mystery. Later, Elyot tells her that she holds no mystery for him and she responds that she is glad. Why?
9. How can the reader interpret Amanda's statement about a person's private life?
10. Why would Victor say to Amanda that she was frightening him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is it important that these characters are rich and upper-class? How would this play have changed if Amanda and Elyot were not as rich as they are written? Is the glamor and sophistication absolutely necessary? How does it affect the fights? Do you believe that this is meant to be a statement on the behaviors of the upper-class? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Amanda and Elyot appear to be stuck in a never-ending cycle of love and hate. Is this tragic, comedic, or both? Why? Is it within the grasp of their character to be able to escape? Do you believe they want to escape? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sibyl's reaction to meeting Amanda and vice versa.
This section contains 1,324 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)