|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other option presented for Amanda and Elyot if they choose to not run away?
2. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
3. What appears to be one of Elyot's pastimes?
4. When Elyot is trying to convince Sibyl of premonition of disaster, what does he say will possibly happen?
5. Before Sibyl storms off the terrace in Act 1, what does Elyot tell her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of "Solomon Isaacs?"
2. Why does Elyot say that, despite their current happiness, being separated was probably for the best?
3. What is Amanda's outlook on the violence in her previous marriage that is so shocking to Victor?
4. What does Elyot mean when he claims that he and Amanda were too in love for their relationship to last?
5. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose Paris to run away to?
6. To Sibyl's dismay, Elyot does not care for her mother and believes that Sibyl married him in part to escape her. What do the differing attitudes about the mother reveal about Sibyl's character?
7. What are Victor and Sibyl's attitudes on the subject of their spouses' previous marriage?
8. What does Elyot accuse Victor of being and what are his grounds for this accusation?
9. Why would Elyot say that he and Amanda would have been perfectly happy with Victor and Sibyl?
10. Why are Amanda and Elyot reluctant to discuss another marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Could there be any social repercussions from having domestic violence shown in an amusing light? What would happen if Elyot slapping Amanda did not lead to humorous results? How is a woman being slapped funny in this context? If you do not find it funny, then what would realistically happen if Amanda and Elyot were to really fight that way? Is it ever alright to use this for comedy? You may cite examples from other movies, plays, or books to support your answer, but make sure to use it alongside the text of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Sibyl's reaction to meeting Amanda and vice versa.
Essay Topic 3
Elyot believes that he and Amanda could have had happy, albeit boring, lives with Victor and Sibyl. What examples from the text point to him being right or wrong?
This section contains 2,046 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)