|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Sibyl do that Amanda cannot?
2. Where did Elyot and Amanda spend their honeymoon?
3. What does Sibyl want to avoid?
4. What does Elyot believe is the cruelest thing he and Amanda could do?
5. What does Amanda do when she realizes Elyot is in the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. To Sibyl's dismay, Elyot does not care for her mother and believes that Sibyl married him in part to escape her. What do the differing attitudes about the mother reveal about Sibyl's character?
2. Amanda describes her marriage to Elyot as, "two violent acids bubbling about in a nasty little matrimonial bottle." Why would she use those words and what images do they provoke?
3. Victor and Sibyl both use nicknames for Amanda and Elyot (Mandy and Elli), though Amanda and Elyot always refer to each other by their full names. What is the significance of the use of nicknames in regards to these four characters?
4. What are Victor and Sibyl's attitudes on the subject of their spouses' previous marriage?
5. What does Elyot mean when he claims that he and Amanda were too in love for their relationship to last?
6. Why would Victor say to Amanda that she was frightening him?
7. At the start of the play, is Elyot in love with Sibyl? How can the reader tell?
8. How can the reader interpret Amanda's statement about a person's private life?
9. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose Paris to run away to?
10. Elyot remarks to Sibyl that, "Apart from loving me and all that, you must have plans." What does he mean by that and why would he accuse Sibyl of it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The four main characters of this play are all from England, though the play itself is set in France. What is the purpose of setting the play in two different locations in France? Would it have changed the play to be set in a different country, including the one native to the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the character of Louise. Why is she included in the play? What is the purpose of Sibyl and Victor not being able to understand her foreign language? What does she add to the overall arch of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Could there be any social repercussions from having domestic violence shown in an amusing light? What would happen if Elyot slapping Amanda did not lead to humorous results? How is a woman being slapped funny in this context? If you do not find it funny, then what would realistically happen if Amanda and Elyot were to really fight that way? Is it ever alright to use this for comedy? You may cite examples from other movies, plays, or books to support your answer, but make sure to use it alongside the text of the play.
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)