|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elyot tell Amanda that comforts her?
2. Where do Elyot and Sibyl plan to eat dinner?
3. What does Elyot say that Amanda initially resists?
4. What does Elyot and Amanda conclude about their past relationship?
5. What does Amanda say they must do before they leave for Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Victor and Sibyl both use nicknames for Amanda and Elyot (Mandy and Elli), though Amanda and Elyot always refer to each other by their full names. What is the significance of the use of nicknames in regards to these four characters?
2. What does Elyot's pastime of traveling the world imply about his character?
3. What is the significance of "Solomon Isaacs?"
4. What are Victor and Sibyl's attitudes on the subject of their spouses' previous marriage?
5. How does Elyot know that Amanda's statement of the two of them being in love all over again is false?
6. Why do Elyot and Amanda both lie to their spouses about the reasons they should leave the hotel instead of just telling the truth?
7. To Sibyl's dismay, Elyot does not care for her mother and believes that Sibyl married him in part to escape her. What do the differing attitudes about the mother reveal about Sibyl's character?
8. What would be the best way to describe the relationship between each of the married couples?
9. Elyot remarks to Sibyl that, "Apart from loving me and all that, you must have plans." What does he mean by that and why would he accuse Sibyl of it?
10. How can the reader interpret Amanda's statement about a person's private life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elyot claims that women are all manipulative and crafty. Do you believe that Amanda and Sibyl are particularly manipulative? If they both are manipulative, is it in the same way and to achieve the same goals? Why or why not? What is the point of the manipulations? Are Victor and Elyot manipulative as well?
Essay Topic 2
The four main characters of this play are all from England, though the play itself is set in France. What is the purpose of setting the play in two different locations in France? Would it have changed the play to be set in a different country, including the one native to the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Elyot believes that he and Amanda could have had happy, albeit boring, lives with Victor and Sibyl. What examples from the text point to him being right or wrong?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)