|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Amanda, what did her and Elyot's love do to their relationship?
(a) It did nothing.
(b) It transcended their problems in the relationship.
(c) It brought out the worst in them.
(d) It brought out the best in them.
2. What is the view from the terrace?
(a) A casino.
(b) The water reflecting the lights of a nearby yacht.
(c) Ocean waves crashing.
(d) A wedding.
3. What separates the two terraces in the first scene?
(a) A wrought-iron fence.
(c) A brick wall.
(d) A line of trees.
4. What do both Amanda and Elyot express a mild appreciation for, to the shock of their spouses?
5. Where do Amanda and Victor plan to eat dinner?
(a) The casino.
(b) The yacht.
(c) The terrace.
(d) The hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elyot call Sibyl?
2. What does Amanda call Victor in Act 1?
3. In Act I, where do the honeymooning couples plan to spend their first night together?
4. What is heard off-stage when the play starts?
5. What is Victor's nickname for his new wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elyot remarks to Sibyl that, "Apart from loving me and all that, you must have plans." What does he mean by that and why would he accuse Sibyl of it?
2. When discussing the possibility of getting a sunburn, Amanda remarks to Victor, "I did so hope our honeymoon was going to be progressive" in response to his declaration that he could not love her anymore than he already does. What does this statement portend about Amanda's views on relationships, particularly her marriage to Victor?
3. Why does Sibyl keep asking Elyot about Amanda?
4. Why would Victor say to Amanda that she was frightening him?
5. What is the significance of "Solomon Isaacs?"
6. What is Amanda's outlook on the violence in her previous marriage that is so shocking to Victor?
7. What are Victor and Sibyl's attitudes on the subject of their spouses' previous marriage?
8. What does Elyot mean when he claims that he and Amanda were too in love for their relationship to last?
9. What would be the best way to describe the relationship between each of the married couples?
10. Victor and Sibyl both use nicknames for Amanda and Elyot (Mandy and Elli), though Amanda and Elyot always refer to each other by their full names. What is the significance of the use of nicknames in regards to these four characters?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)