|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it, specifically, at the top of Act I?
(a) 8:00 p.m.
(b) 5:00 p.m.
(c) 6:00 p.m.
(d) 10:00 p.m.
2. Where do Elyot and Sibyl plan to eat dinner?
(a) The terrace.
(b) The hotel.
(c) The casino.
(d) The yacht.
3. What time of day does the first act take place?
4. What does Elyot accuse Sibyl of being?
(d) Overly dependent.
5. What does Elyot tell Amanda before he tries to leave the terrace?
(a) Elyot tells Amanda he loves her.
(b) Elyot tells Amanda he never loved her before.
(c) Elyot tells Amanda that he hates her for ruining his honeymoon.
(d) He tells her that they both know they are not in love with their new spouses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sibyl dislike?
2. What genre of play is "Private Lives?"
3. Who is the oldest character of the four introduced in Act I?
4. What does Amanda say they must do before they leave for Paris?
5. Which factor does NOT contribute to the rekindling of Elyot and Amanda's love for each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elyot's pastime of traveling the world imply about his character?
2. What are Victor and Sibyl's attitudes on the subject of their spouses' previous marriage?
3. How does Elyot know that Amanda's statement of the two of them being in love all over again is false?
4. At the start of the play, is Elyot in love with Sibyl? How can the reader tell?
5. What is the significance of "Solomon Isaacs?"
6. How can the reader interpret Amanda's statement about a person's private life?
7. Amanda describes her marriage to Elyot as, "two violent acids bubbling about in a nasty little matrimonial bottle." Why would she use those words and what images do they provoke?
8. Elyot remarks to Sibyl that, "Apart from loving me and all that, you must have plans." What does he mean by that and why would he accuse Sibyl of it?
9. What does Elyot mean when he claims that he and Amanda were too in love for their relationship to last?
10. Why does Sibyl keep asking Elyot about Amanda?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)