|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day does the first act take place?
2. In Act I, Sibyl asks Elyot about Amanda. According to Elyot, what does Amanda do beautifully that Sibyl can not do?
(d) Play piano.
3. What does Sibyl dislike?
(a) Nosy people.
(b) Overly masculine men.
(c) Overly witty people.
(d) Masculine women.
4. What does Elyot and Amanda conclude about their past relationship?
(a) Their relationship was perfect.
(b) They had nothing but terrible times in their lives together.
(c) They had many wonderful times together.
(d) Their relationship was not nearly as passionate as they remember.
5. What can Sibyl do that Amanda cannot?
(c) Play piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which country is Act I set?
2. When Sibyl and Victor leave, what do Amanda and Elyot do with the cocktails?
3. How long were Elyot and Amanda married?
4. In what building does Act I take place?
5. Which character says, "Love is no use unless it's wise, and kind, and undramatic?"
Short Essay Questions
1. To Sibyl's dismay, Elyot does not care for her mother and believes that Sibyl married him in part to escape her. What do the differing attitudes about the mother reveal about Sibyl's character?
2. Why do Elyot and Amanda both lie to their spouses about the reasons they should leave the hotel instead of just telling the truth?
3. Why would Victor say to Amanda that she was frightening him?
4. What does Elyot's pastime of traveling the world imply about his character?
5. Amanda describes her marriage to Elyot as, "two violent acids bubbling about in a nasty little matrimonial bottle." Why would she use those words and what images do they provoke?
6. What are Victor and Sibyl's attitudes on the subject of their spouses' previous marriage?
7. What is Amanda's outlook on the violence in her previous marriage that is so shocking to Victor?
8. Victor and Sibyl both use nicknames for Amanda and Elyot (Mandy and Elli), though Amanda and Elyot always refer to each other by their full names. What is the significance of the use of nicknames in regards to these four characters?
9. How does Elyot know that Amanda's statement of the two of them being in love all over again is false?
10. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose Paris to run away to?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)