|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Amanda call Victor in Act 1?
(a) A "pompous ass."
(b) Not a gentleman.
(c) A weak man.
(d) A windbag.
2. When fighting with Sibyl, what does Elyot say infuriates him more than anything?
(d) Being weak-willed.
3. To where do Elyot and Amanda plan to run away?
(d) The Taj Mahal.
4. What does Amanda do when she realizes Elyot is in the hotel?
(a) She runs inside.
(b) She clutches her throat in shock.
(c) She walks over to his side of the terrace.
(d) She asks him for a cigarette.
5. How long were Elyot and Amanda married?
(a) Two years.
(b) They were never married.
(c) Three years.
(d) Five years.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Elyot, how does he feel about Amanda?
2. What does Elyot tell Amanda before he tries to leave the terrace?
3. What time is it, specifically, at the top of Act I?
4. Who is the oldest character of the four introduced in Act I?
5. How long have Amanda and Elyot been divorced at the start of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Victor cannot stand Sibyl, how does his behavior reflect on one of the themes of the play (about private lives)?
2. In Act I, Amanda proclaims to Victor that women should hold some mystery. Later, Elyot tells her that she holds no mystery for him and she responds that she is glad. Why?
3. What does Elyot's pastime of traveling the world imply about his character?
4. At the beginning of Act II, does it appear that Elyot and Amanda have been getting along? How can the reader tell?
5. What is Amanda's outlook on the violence in her previous marriage that is so shocking to Victor?
6. Why does Sibyl keep asking Elyot about Amanda?
7. What are some of the things that initially attracted Amanda to Victor?
8. After Amanda and Elyot make up during the "triple Sollocks," what happens that brings their happy mood down again and why?
9. What sets off the very first argument of Act II?
10. Throughout Act III, Elyot and Amanda both proclaim their hate for each other. However, they are clearly back in love at the end of the act. Did they ever really hate each other? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)