|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sibyl's nickname for Elyot?
(d) She dooes not have a nickname for him.
2. What does Amanda do when she realizes Elyot is in the hotel?
(a) She asks him for a cigarette.
(b) She walks over to his side of the terrace.
(c) She clutches her throat in shock.
(d) She runs inside.
3. What appears to be one of Elyot's pastimes?
4. What does Elyot do to Amanda to calm her when she starts to panic about leaving?
(a) He tells her to find Victor and explain what is going on.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He has her drink some brandy.
(d) He kisses her.
5. To whom does this statement refer? "I can't bear to think I'm married to such rugged grandeur."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elyot and Amanda conclude about their past relationship?
2. What does Amanda tell Victor she did to Elyot while they were married?
3. What does Amanda tell Victor about Elyot's presence?
4. What is Victor's nickname for his new wife?
5. What can Sibyl do that Amanda cannot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Elyot and Amanda both lie to their spouses about the reasons they should leave the hotel instead of just telling the truth?
2. In Act I, Amanda proclaims to Victor that women should hold some mystery. Later, Elyot tells her that she holds no mystery for him and she responds that she is glad. Why?
3. When Elyot implores Sibyl that they must leave the hotel, Sibyl is uncharacteristically firm and stubborn about staying. What happened throughout the act that may have given her more of a backbone?
4. To Sibyl's dismay, Elyot does not care for her mother and believes that Sibyl married him in part to escape her. What do the differing attitudes about the mother reveal about Sibyl's character?
5. How does Elyot know that Amanda's statement of the two of them being in love all over again is false?
6. When discussing the possibility of getting a sunburn, Amanda remarks to Victor, "I did so hope our honeymoon was going to be progressive" in response to his declaration that he could not love her anymore than he already does. What does this statement portend about Amanda's views on relationships, particularly her marriage to Victor?
7. Why would Victor say to Amanda that she was frightening him?
8. What does Elyot's pastime of traveling the world imply about his character?
9. What are Victor and Sibyl's attitudes on the subject of their spouses' previous marriage?
10. What would be the best way to describe the relationship between each of the married couples?
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)