|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Amanda, what did her and Elyot's love do to their relationship?
(a) It brought out the worst in them.
(b) It did nothing.
(c) It brought out the best in them.
(d) It transcended their problems in the relationship.
2. What can Sibyl do that Amanda cannot?
(a) Play piano.
3. Before Sibyl storms off the terrace in Act 1, what does Elyot tell her?
(a) Amanda is staying next door to them.
(b) Elyot regrets marrying her.
(c) Elyot hopes she chokes on her dinner.
(d) Elyot loves her.
4. When Elyot is trying to convince Sibyl of premonition of disaster, what does he say will possibly happen?
(a) A flood.
(b) A violent explosion.
(c) A boat accident.
(d) A fire at the hotel.
5. What do both Amanda and Elyot express a mild appreciation for, to the shock of their spouses?
Short Answer Questions
1. What appears to be one of Elyot's pastimes?
2. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
3. Who is the oldest character of the four introduced in Act I?
4. What does Elyot tell Amanda before he tries to leave the terrace?
5. What are Victor and Sibyl doing at the end of Act I?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose Paris to run away to?
2. Amanda describes her marriage to Elyot as, "two violent acids bubbling about in a nasty little matrimonial bottle." Why would she use those words and what images do they provoke?
3. How does Elyot know that Amanda's statement of the two of them being in love all over again is false?
4. What does Elyot's pastime of traveling the world imply about his character?
5. When Elyot implores Sibyl that they must leave the hotel, Sibyl is uncharacteristically firm and stubborn about staying. What happened throughout the act that may have given her more of a backbone?
6. What is the significance of "Solomon Isaacs?"
7. What would be the best way to describe the relationship between each of the married couples?
8. In Act I, Amanda proclaims to Victor that women should hold some mystery. Later, Elyot tells her that she holds no mystery for him and she responds that she is glad. Why?
9. Victor and Sibyl both use nicknames for Amanda and Elyot (Mandy and Elli), though Amanda and Elyot always refer to each other by their full names. What is the significance of the use of nicknames in regards to these four characters?
10. How can the reader interpret Amanda's statement about a person's private life?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)