|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elyot call Sibyl?
(d) Overly dependent.
2. According to Amanda, what rules her life?
3. What does Elyot and Amanda conclude about their past relationship?
(a) Their relationship was not nearly as passionate as they remember.
(b) Their relationship was perfect.
(c) They had many wonderful times together.
(d) They had nothing but terrible times in their lives together.
4. What does Amanda forbid Victor from doing?
(c) Mentioning Elyot's name.
(d) Going to look for Elyot.
5. What separates the two terraces in the first scene?
(a) A wrought-iron fence.
(c) A line of trees.
(d) A brick wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
2. Which character says, "Love is no use unless it's wise, and kind, and undramatic?"
3. What does Amanda tell Victor about Elyot's presence?
4. Where did Elyot and Amanda spend their honeymoon?
5. What do both Amanda and Elyot express a mild appreciation for, to the shock of their spouses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Elyot and Amanda both lie to their spouses about the reasons they should leave the hotel instead of just telling the truth?
2. When Elyot implores Sibyl that they must leave the hotel, Sibyl is uncharacteristically firm and stubborn about staying. What happened throughout the act that may have given her more of a backbone?
3. How can the reader interpret Amanda's statement about a person's private life?
4. What is the significance of "Solomon Isaacs?"
5. To Sibyl's dismay, Elyot does not care for her mother and believes that Sibyl married him in part to escape her. What do the differing attitudes about the mother reveal about Sibyl's character?
6. Why would Victor say to Amanda that she was frightening him?
7. At the start of the play, is Elyot in love with Sibyl? How can the reader tell?
8. What does Elyot mean when he claims that he and Amanda were too in love for their relationship to last?
9. What is Amanda's outlook on the violence in her previous marriage that is so shocking to Victor?
10. What would be the best way to describe the relationship between each of the married couples?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)