|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day does the first act take place?
2. What are Victor and Sibyl doing at the end of Act I?
(a) They are arguing with their spouses.
(b) They are arguing with each other.
(c) They are eating dinner together.
(d) They are taking in the view from the terrace.
3. What does Amanda forbid Victor from doing?
(c) Going to look for Elyot.
(d) Mentioning Elyot's name.
4. What does Amanda tell Victor about Elyot's presence?
(a) Amanda says that Elyot is staying on the yacht.
(b) Amanda says she saw Elyot running down the street.
(c) Amanda says that Elyot is staying next door to them.
(d) Amanda says that Elyot is working at the hotel.
5. Which factor does NOT contribute to the rekindling of Elyot and Amanda's love for each other?
(a) The arguments with Victor and Sibyl.
(b) Hearing their song.
(c) Elyot watches Amanda dance with her husband.
(d) Reminiscing about their marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "I think very few people are completely normal really, deep down in their private lives?"
2. Before Sibyl storms off the terrace in Act 1, what does Elyot tell her?
3. What appears to be one of Elyot's pastimes?
4. What does Elyot and Amanda conclude about their past relationship?
5. In Act I, Sibyl asks Elyot about Amanda. According to Elyot, what does Amanda do beautifully that Sibyl can not do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Elyot being hypocritical about Amanda's disclosure of her post-marital affairs?
2. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose Paris to run away to?
3. Why does Elyot tend to be so flippant about everything?
4. Why are Amanda and Elyot reluctant to discuss another marriage?
5. How can the reader interpret Amanda's statement about a person's private life?
6. What are the four main characters doing at the very end of the play?
7. What are Amanda's beliefs?
8. Given Sibyl's opinions in Act I of whether Elyot or Amanda were more at fault for the failed marriage, why is it ironic that she says in Act III, "I'd no idea anyone ever behaved like that; it's so disgusting, so degrading, Elli of all people?"
9. What is Victor's opinion of Sybil? Is it surprising? Why?
10. What does Victor plan to do about divorcing Amanda and why?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)