|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the view from the terrace?
(a) A wedding.
(b) A casino.
(c) Ocean waves crashing.
(d) The water reflecting the lights of a nearby yacht.
2. What does the orchestra keep doing in Act 1?
(a) The orchestra keeps playing unnerving music.
(b) The orchestra keeps playing Amanda and Elyot's song.
(c) The orchestra keeps making mistakes.
(d) The orchestra stops playing in the middle of every song.
3. When Sibyl and Victor leave, what do Amanda and Elyot do with the cocktails?
(a) Amanda throws her drink on Elyot.
(b) They drink both sets of cocktails.
(c) They dump the drinks out.
(d) They share the ones on Elyot's side and toast the new spouses.
4. Who says, "I think very few people are completely normal really, deep down in their private lives?"
5. Where do Elyot and Sibyl plan to eat dinner?
(a) The casino.
(b) The hotel.
(c) The yacht.
(d) The terrace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amanda do when she realizes Elyot is in the hotel?
2. What does Elyot say that Amanda initially resists?
3. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose to flee to Amanda's flat?
4. What is the code-phrase that Amanda and Elyot decide to use to stop all arguments?
5. To where do Elyot and Amanda plan to run away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elyot's pastime of traveling the world imply about his character?
2. What is the significance of "Solomon Isaacs?"
3. Why would Victor say to Amanda that she was frightening him?
4. When discussing the possibility of getting a sunburn, Amanda remarks to Victor, "I did so hope our honeymoon was going to be progressive" in response to his declaration that he could not love her anymore than he already does. What does this statement portend about Amanda's views on relationships, particularly her marriage to Victor?
5. What is Amanda's outlook on the violence in her previous marriage that is so shocking to Victor?
6. What are Victor and Sibyl's attitudes on the subject of their spouses' previous marriage?
7. Victor and Sibyl both use nicknames for Amanda and Elyot (Mandy and Elli), though Amanda and Elyot always refer to each other by their full names. What is the significance of the use of nicknames in regards to these four characters?
8. Amanda describes her marriage to Elyot as, "two violent acids bubbling about in a nasty little matrimonial bottle." Why would she use those words and what images do they provoke?
9. To Sibyl's dismay, Elyot does not care for her mother and believes that Sibyl married him in part to escape her. What do the differing attitudes about the mother reveal about Sibyl's character?
10. When Elyot implores Sibyl that they must leave the hotel, Sibyl is uncharacteristically firm and stubborn about staying. What happened throughout the act that may have given her more of a backbone?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)