|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elyot do to Amanda to calm her when she starts to panic about leaving?
(a) He slaps her.
(b) He tells her to find Victor and explain what is going on.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He has her drink some brandy.
2. What does Sibyl dislike?
(a) Nosy people.
(b) Overly masculine men.
(c) Masculine women.
(d) Overly witty people.
3. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
4. According to Amanda, what did her and Elyot's love do to their relationship?
(a) It brought out the best in them.
(b) It transcended their problems in the relationship.
(c) It did nothing.
(d) It brought out the worst in them.
5. What does Amanda forbid Victor from doing?
(a) Mentioning Elyot's name.
(c) Going to look for Elyot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elyot tell Amanda that comforts her?
2. What does Amanda do when she realizes Elyot is in the hotel?
3. What is heard off-stage when the play starts?
4. What does Elyot and Amanda conclude about their past relationship?
5. What does Amanda call Victor in Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sybil insult Amanda?
2. How is Elyot being hypocritical about Amanda's disclosure of her post-marital affairs?
3. How can the reader interpret Amanda's statement about a person's private life?
4. Why are Amanda and Elyot reluctant to discuss another marriage?
5. How is Amanda's behavior at the top of Act III?
6. Do Amanda and Victor love each other? What evidence suggests this?
7. In Act I, Amanda proclaims to Victor that women should hold some mystery. Later, Elyot tells her that she holds no mystery for him and she responds that she is glad. Why?
8. Given Sibyl's opinions in Act I of whether Elyot or Amanda were more at fault for the failed marriage, why is it ironic that she says in Act III, "I'd no idea anyone ever behaved like that; it's so disgusting, so degrading, Elli of all people?"
9. What two things does Elyot do that annoy Amanda that leads up to their biggest fight?
10. When Elyot implores Sibyl that they must leave the hotel, Sibyl is uncharacteristically firm and stubborn about staying. What happened throughout the act that may have given her more of a backbone?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)