|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do both Amanda and Elyot express a mild appreciation for, to the shock of their spouses?
2. What separates the two terraces in the first scene?
(a) A brick wall.
(c) A line of trees.
(d) A wrought-iron fence.
3. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose to flee to Amanda's flat?
(a) It is back home.
(b) It is in the country.
(c) Victor does not know where it is.
(d) It is where Amanda and Elyot used to live together.
4. What does Elyot accuse Sibyl of being?
(a) Overly dependent.
5. Which factor does NOT contribute to the rekindling of Elyot and Amanda's love for each other?
(a) Hearing their song.
(b) Elyot watches Amanda dance with her husband.
(c) The arguments with Victor and Sibyl.
(d) Reminiscing about their marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elyot call Sibyl?
2. How do Amanda and Elyot realize that they are sharing a terrace in the hotel?
3. What does Amanda do when she realizes Elyot is in the hotel?
4. When Sibyl and Victor leave, what do Amanda and Elyot do with the cocktails?
5. What is Sibyl's nickname for Elyot?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act I, Amanda proclaims to Victor that women should hold some mystery. Later, Elyot tells her that she holds no mystery for him and she responds that she is glad. Why?
2. To Sibyl's dismay, Elyot does not care for her mother and believes that Sibyl married him in part to escape her. What do the differing attitudes about the mother reveal about Sibyl's character?
3. At the start of the play, is Elyot in love with Sibyl? How can the reader tell?
4. What are Victor and Sibyl's attitudes on the subject of their spouses' previous marriage?
5. Why do Elyot and Amanda both lie to their spouses about the reasons they should leave the hotel instead of just telling the truth?
6. What is Amanda's outlook on the violence in her previous marriage that is so shocking to Victor?
7. What is the significance of "Solomon Isaacs?"
8. Why would Victor say to Amanda that she was frightening him?
9. Amanda describes her marriage to Elyot as, "two violent acids bubbling about in a nasty little matrimonial bottle." Why would she use those words and what images do they provoke?
10. Victor and Sibyl both use nicknames for Amanda and Elyot (Mandy and Elli), though Amanda and Elyot always refer to each other by their full names. What is the significance of the use of nicknames in regards to these four characters?
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)