|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what building does Act I take place?
(a) A hotel.
(b) Amanda's flat.
(c) A casino.
(d) A restaurant.
2. What is the other option presented for Amanda and Elyot if they choose to not run away?
(a) They will divorce their spouses and reconnect a year later.
(b) They will divorce their spouses.
(c) They will never see each other again.
(d) They will have a discreet affair.
3. Which character says, "Love is no use unless it's wise, and kind, and undramatic?"
4. What is Sibyl's nickname for Elyot?
(c) She dooes not have a nickname for him.
5. In Act I, Sibyl asks Elyot about Amanda. According to Elyot, what does Amanda do beautifully that Sibyl can not do?
(a) Play piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Amanda and Elyot realize that they are sharing a terrace in the hotel?
2. How long were Elyot and Amanda married?
3. When fighting with Sibyl, what does Elyot say infuriates him more than anything?
4. What reason does Amanda give when she tries to convince Victor that they need to leave the hotel?
5. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose to flee to Amanda's flat?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elyot know that Amanda's statement of the two of them being in love all over again is false?
2. What does Elyot's pastime of traveling the world imply about his character?
3. Why do Elyot and Amanda both lie to their spouses about the reasons they should leave the hotel instead of just telling the truth?
4. What does Elyot mean when he claims that he and Amanda were too in love for their relationship to last?
5. Why does Sibyl keep asking Elyot about Amanda?
6. Victor and Sibyl both use nicknames for Amanda and Elyot (Mandy and Elli), though Amanda and Elyot always refer to each other by their full names. What is the significance of the use of nicknames in regards to these four characters?
7. In Act I, Amanda proclaims to Victor that women should hold some mystery. Later, Elyot tells her that she holds no mystery for him and she responds that she is glad. Why?
8. Elyot remarks to Sibyl that, "Apart from loving me and all that, you must have plans." What does he mean by that and why would he accuse Sibyl of it?
9. Amanda describes her marriage to Elyot as, "two violent acids bubbling about in a nasty little matrimonial bottle." Why would she use those words and what images do they provoke?
10. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose Paris to run away to?
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)