|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
2. What memory do Amanda and Elyot reminisce over after their spouses have left in Act 1?
(a) Ice skating.
(c) Traveling the world.
(d) Walking around London.
3. What does Amanda forbid Victor from doing?
(a) Mentioning Elyot's name.
(c) Going to look for Elyot.
4. What is the view from the terrace?
(a) A casino.
(b) The water reflecting the lights of a nearby yacht.
(c) Ocean waves crashing.
(d) A wedding.
5. What is heard off-stage when the play starts?
(a) The ocean waves.
(b) A small orchestra.
(c) Birds chirping.
(d) Elyot and Sibyl arguing.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act I, where do the honeymooning couples plan to spend their first night together?
2. Where do Elyot and Sibyl plan to eat dinner?
3. What does Elyot call Sibyl?
4. What appears to be one of Elyot's pastimes?
5. When fighting with Sibyl, what does Elyot say infuriates him more than anything?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elyot mean when he claims that he and Amanda were too in love for their relationship to last?
2. Victor and Sibyl both use nicknames for Amanda and Elyot (Mandy and Elli), though Amanda and Elyot always refer to each other by their full names. What is the significance of the use of nicknames in regards to these four characters?
3. What would be the best way to describe the relationship between each of the married couples?
4. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose Paris to run away to?
5. In Act I, Amanda proclaims to Victor that women should hold some mystery. Later, Elyot tells her that she holds no mystery for him and she responds that she is glad. Why?
6. Why does Sibyl keep asking Elyot about Amanda?
7. Why would Victor say to Amanda that she was frightening him?
8. Why do Elyot and Amanda both lie to their spouses about the reasons they should leave the hotel instead of just telling the truth?
9. What is Amanda's outlook on the violence in her previous marriage that is so shocking to Victor?
10. When Elyot implores Sibyl that they must leave the hotel, Sibyl is uncharacteristically firm and stubborn about staying. What happened throughout the act that may have given her more of a backbone?
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)