|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Louise?
(a) Louise is Amanda's maid.
(b) Louise is the woman with whom Elyot had an affair.
(c) Louise is Elyot's maid.
(d) Louise is Amanda's sister.
2. What kind of women did Amanda imagine Elyot would go after?
(b) She did not believe Elyot would be unfaithful.
(c) Married women.
(d) Young debutantes.
3. What did Amanda let her admirer do that made Elyot jealous?
(a) Amanda was completely innocent and it was all in Elyot's mind.
(b) Amanda made love to him.
(c) Amanda let him kiss her.
(d) Amanda danced with him.
4. What does Amanda start to do to Elyot during their final fight?
(a) She tries to kiss Elyot and make up with him.
(b) She tries to push Elyot out of her apartment.
(c) She starts throwing any objects she can find at him.
(d) She starts punching Elyot.
5. During their final fight, what does Amanda say she'd rather do than marry Elyot?
(a) Die in torment.
(b) Stay with Victor.
(c) Run away to another country.
(d) Be alone the rest of her life.
6. What do Amanda and Elyot keep doing to the gramophone?
(a) Elyot and Amanda are shoving the player back and forth.
(b) They do not do anything to the gramophone.
(c) Elyot keeps switching it off and Amanda keeps turning it back on.
(d) Elyot keeps trying to take the gramophone from Amanda.
7. What does Elyot sarcastically say he is surprised Amanda never did?
(a) Amanda never cheated on Victor.
(b) Amanda never cheated on Elyot when they were married.
(c) Amanda never slept with Victor.
(d) Amanda never told Victor she loved him.
8. In Act II, what does Elyot tell Amanda they must do?
(a) They must return to London.
(b) They must leave the flat before Victor and Sibyl find them.
(c) They must live in the moment and enjoy life.
(d) They must apologize to their spouses.
9. What does Amanda fear about Sibyl?
(a) Amanda fears that Sibyl will try to marry Victor.
(b) Amanda fears Sibyl is very unhappy.
(c) Amanda fears Sibyl will try to hurt her.
(d) Amanda fears that Sibyl will try to steal Elyot back from her.
10. Who or what is Charles?
(a) Charles is a wooden snake Amanda once bought Elyot.
(b) Charles was Amanda and Elyot's old code to end all arguments.
(c) Charles is an admirer of Amanda's.
(d) Charles is Elyot's butler.
11. In Act II, what does Amanda reveal to Elyot that first begins to upset him?
(a) She loves Victor.
(b) She no longer wishes to travel the world.
(c) She is no longer Catholic.
(d) She had not been celibate after their divorce.
12. What is the name of the man who used to love and admire Amanda?
(a) Victor Prynne.
(b) A name is not given.
(c) Peter Burden.
(d) Charles Burden.
13. How much time has passed between Act I and Act II?
(a) One day.
(b) One hour.
(c) A few days.
(d) A full week.
14. What is Elyot wearing in Act II?
(a) A dressing gown.
(b) A dinner jacket.
(c) A bathing suit.
(d) A tuxedo.
15. What reason is given for the first time Elyot struck Amanda during their marriage?
(a) Amanda's curling irons burned a hole in Elyot's new dressing gown.
(b) Elyot caught Amanda with an admirer.
(c) Amanda struck Elyot first.
(d) Amanda tries to leave Elyot.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the phone call, Amanda is worrying about her future with Elyot and what should happen when their spouses find them. What does Elyot urge her to do to calm her fears?
2. Why does Elyot tell Amanda to turn the gramophone off?
3. What is prominently displayed in Amanda's flat?
4. Who says, "Flippancy brings out the acid in their damned sweetness and light."
5. What happens to Amanda's apartment during the final fight?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)