|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Amanda's apartment during the final fight?
(a) Furniture is tipped over and objects are thrown all over.
(b) The front door is broken off the hinges.
(c) The piano is shoved across the room and into a wall.
(d) Brandy is splashed all over the carpet.
2. According to Amanda, what did Victor love to do?
(a) Victor loved to go dancing.
(b) Victor loved to verbally spar with Amanda.
(c) Victor loved to look after Amanda.
(d) Victor loved the opera.
3. What brings about the first use of Amanda and Elyot's special code?
(a) Amanda tells Elyot he should call Sibyl.
(b) Amanda talks about Victor's good qualities.
(c) Amanda reveals that she was not celibate after the divorce.
(d) Amanda thinks Elyot has had too much to drink.
4. Why does Amanda and Elyot send Louise home?
(a) Amanda and Elyot want more privacy.
(b) Louise has a cold.
(c) Louise is drinking the brandy.
(d) Louise is needed by her family.
5. Why does Elyot tell Amanda to turn the gramophone off?
(a) He is trying to talk to her.
(b) He would rather play piano than listen to a record.
(c) He says he does not want to annoy the neighbors.
(d) He hates the song that is playing.
6. During their final fight, what does Amanda say she'd rather do than marry Elyot?
(a) Be alone the rest of her life.
(b) Die in torment.
(c) Run away to another country.
(d) Stay with Victor.
7. How did Amanda feel when she first met Victor?
(b) Old and unwanted.
(c) Young and vibrant.
(d) Angry and depressed.
8. During their first period of silence, what do Amanda and Elyot do?
(a) Leave the apartment.
(b) Smoke a cigarette.
(c) Keep fighting.
(d) Call their spouses.
9. What time is it at the top of Act II?
(a) 12:00 a.m.
(b) 1:00 a.m.
(c) 10:00 p.m.
(d) 8:00 p.m.
10. What annoys Amanda the most about Elyot's reaction to her post-marriage affairs?
(a) Amanda is annoyed that Elyot believes it is proper for men to be promiscuous, but not women.
(b) Amanda is annoyed that Elyot is not listening.
(c) Amanda is annoyed that Elyot does not believe her.
(d) Amanda is annoyed that Elyot does not care.
11. Where does Act II take place?
(a) Elyot's country home.
(b) Elyot's flat in Paris.
(c) Amanda's flat in Paris.
(d) The hotel from Act I.
12. After the phone call, Amanda is worrying about her future with Elyot and what should happen when their spouses find them. What does Elyot urge her to do to calm her fears?
(a) Elyot suggests she has another drink.
(b) Elyot tells her to not take life too seriously.
(c) Elyot suggests she call Victor and apologize.
(d) Elyot reminds her that, in the eyes of the Catholic Church, they were never divorced.
13. What do Amanda and Elyot keep doing to the gramophone?
(a) Elyot keeps trying to take the gramophone from Amanda.
(b) Elyot keeps switching it off and Amanda keeps turning it back on.
(c) Elyot and Amanda are shoving the player back and forth.
(d) They do not do anything to the gramophone.
14. What causes the use of the triple code?
(a) Amanda slams the piano shut on Elyot's fingers.
(b) Elyot turns off the record player.
(c) Elyot does not want to make love to Amanda at that moment.
(d) Amanda does not want to make love to Elyot at that moment.
15. According to Elyot, what is the problem with being a specialist?
(a) Most specialists are socially awkward.
(b) A specialist never tries to explain what they know to anyone else.
(c) A specialist is too pompous to really be understood.
(d) A specialist is too concentrated on one thing to notice what is going on around them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts the final fight between Amanda and Elyot in Act II?
2. What is the name of the man who used to love and admire Amanda?
3. What does Amanda suggest she and Elyot do if their spouses find them?
4. What does Amanda start to do to Elyot during their final fight?
5. Who says, "Flippancy brings out the acid in their damned sweetness and light."
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)