|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose to flee to Amanda's flat?
(a) Victor does not know where it is.
(b) It is where Amanda and Elyot used to live together.
(c) It is in the country.
(d) It is back home.
2. What does Amanda call Victor in Act 1?
(a) A windbag.
(b) A "pompous ass."
(c) A weak man.
(d) Not a gentleman.
3. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
4. What are Victor and Sibyl doing at the end of Act I?
(a) They are arguing with each other.
(b) They are taking in the view from the terrace.
(c) They are arguing with their spouses.
(d) They are eating dinner together.
5. To whom does this statement refer? "I can't bear to think I'm married to such rugged grandeur."
6. When Sibyl and Victor leave, what do Amanda and Elyot do with the cocktails?
(a) They drink both sets of cocktails.
(b) They share the ones on Elyot's side and toast the new spouses.
(c) Amanda throws her drink on Elyot.
(d) They dump the drinks out.
7. What does Elyot tell Amanda before he tries to leave the terrace?
(a) Elyot tells Amanda he never loved her before.
(b) He tells her that they both know they are not in love with their new spouses.
(c) Elyot tells Amanda that he hates her for ruining his honeymoon.
(d) Elyot tells Amanda he loves her.
8. To what does Amanda say, "What an odd thing to be glad about?"
(a) Elyot tells Amanda that he is glad to see her.
(b) Elyot tells Amanda that he is glad they are both remarried.
(c) Victor states that he is glad he is normal.
(d) Victor tells Amanda that he is glad to be married to her.
9. Where do Elyot and Sibyl plan to eat dinner?
(a) The yacht.
(b) The casino.
(c) The hotel.
(d) The terrace.
10. In Act I, where do the honeymooning couples plan to spend their first night together?
(a) St. Mortiz.
(b) The French Riviera.
11. What do both Amanda and Elyot express a mild appreciation for, to the shock of their spouses?
12. What genre of play is "Private Lives?"
(a) Theatre of cruelty.
(b) Comedy of errors.
(c) Comedy of manners.
(d) Theatre of the absurd.
13. What time is it, specifically, at the top of Act I?
(a) 8:00 p.m.
(b) 6:00 p.m.
(c) 10:00 p.m.
(d) 5:00 p.m.
14. What is Sibyl's nickname for Elyot?
(a) She dooes not have a nickname for him.
15. What is the view from the terrace?
(a) The water reflecting the lights of a nearby yacht.
(b) Ocean waves crashing.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A casino.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elyot accuse Sibyl of being?
2. What can Sibyl do that Amanda cannot?
3. Before Sibyl storms off the terrace in Act 1, what does Elyot tell her?
4. Which factor does NOT contribute to the rekindling of Elyot and Amanda's love for each other?
5. How long have Amanda and Elyot been divorced at the start of the play?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)