|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elyot do to Amanda to calm her when she starts to panic about leaving?
(a) He slaps her.
(b) He tells her to find Victor and explain what is going on.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He has her drink some brandy.
2. What does Sibyl dislike?
(a) Nosy people.
(b) Overly masculine men.
(c) Masculine women.
(d) Overly witty people.
3. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
4. According to Amanda, what did her and Elyot's love do to their relationship?
(a) It brought out the best in them.
(b) It transcended their problems in the relationship.
(c) It did nothing.
(d) It brought out the worst in them.
5. What does Amanda forbid Victor from doing?
(a) Mentioning Elyot's name.
(c) Going to look for Elyot.
6. What does Elyot tell Amanda that comforts her?
(a) Elyot tells Amanda that she holds no mystery for him.
(b) Elyot tells Amanda that Victor will take care of her.
(c) Elyote tells Amanda that she is doing the right thing.
(d) Elyot tells Amanda that Sibyl is a good woman.
7. What does Amanda do when she realizes Elyot is in the hotel?
(a) She clutches her throat in shock.
(b) She runs inside.
(c) She asks him for a cigarette.
(d) She walks over to his side of the terrace.
8. What is heard off-stage when the play starts?
(a) Birds chirping.
(b) The ocean waves.
(c) A small orchestra.
(d) Elyot and Sibyl arguing.
9. What does Elyot and Amanda conclude about their past relationship?
(a) Their relationship was not nearly as passionate as they remember.
(b) They had nothing but terrible times in their lives together.
(c) They had many wonderful times together.
(d) Their relationship was perfect.
10. What does Amanda call Victor in Act 1?
(a) A windbag.
(b) A weak man.
(c) Not a gentleman.
(d) A "pompous ass."
11. What appears to be one of Elyot's pastimes?
12. What is the code-phrase that Amanda and Elyot decide to use to stop all arguments?
(a) Sullivan Isaacs.
(b) Solomon's privacy.
(c) Solomon Isaacs.
(d) Private lives.
13. According to Elyot, how does he feel about Amanda?
(a) He is still angry at her.
(b) He despises and pities her.
(c) He is indifferent toward her.
(d) He loves her.
14. When fighting with Sibyl, what does Elyot say infuriates him more than anything?
(d) Being weak-willed.
15. Who is the oldest character of the four introduced in Act I?
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it, specifically, at the top of Act I?
2. What does the orchestra keep doing in Act 1?
3. What are Victor and Sibyl doing at the end of Act I?
4. What does Elyot call Sibyl?
5. Where do Elyot and Sibyl plan to eat dinner?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)