|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what building does Act I take place?
(a) A casino.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A hotel.
(d) Amanda's flat.
2. What separates the two terraces in the first scene?
(a) A line of trees.
(c) A brick wall.
(d) A wrought-iron fence.
3. To whom does this statement refer? "I can't bear to think I'm married to such rugged grandeur."
4. What does Amanda do when she realizes Elyot is in the hotel?
(a) She clutches her throat in shock.
(b) She walks over to his side of the terrace.
(c) She asks him for a cigarette.
(d) She runs inside.
5. Before Sibyl storms off the terrace in Act 1, what does Elyot tell her?
(a) Elyot loves her.
(b) Amanda is staying next door to them.
(c) Elyot hopes she chokes on her dinner.
(d) Elyot regrets marrying her.
6. What does Amanda call Victor in Act 1?
(a) Not a gentleman.
(b) A windbag.
(c) A "pompous ass."
(d) A weak man.
7. What time is it, specifically, at the top of Act I?
(a) 10:00 p.m.
(b) 8:00 p.m.
(c) 5:00 p.m.
(d) 6:00 p.m.
8. What does Elyot believe is the cruelest thing he and Amanda could do?
(a) Abandon their spouses.
(b) Stay with their spouses and pretend to love them.
(c) Stay in the hotel together.
(d) Never see each other again.
9. When Elyot is trying to convince Sibyl of premonition of disaster, what does he say will possibly happen?
(a) A violent explosion.
(b) A fire at the hotel.
(c) A flood.
(d) A boat accident.
10. What is the code-phrase that Amanda and Elyot decide to use to stop all arguments?
(a) Solomon Isaacs.
(b) Private lives.
(c) Solomon's privacy.
(d) Sullivan Isaacs.
11. What does Elyot do to Amanda to calm her when she starts to panic about leaving?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He has her drink some brandy.
(c) He slaps her.
(d) He tells her to find Victor and explain what is going on.
12. What does Sibyl want to avoid?
(a) A sunburn.
(c) The beach.
(d) Tiring herself out.
13. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
14. In Act I, where do the honeymooning couples plan to spend their first night together?
(b) St. Mortiz.
(c) The French Riviera.
15. When fighting with Sibyl, what does Elyot say infuriates him more than anything?
(a) Being weak-willed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sibyl's nickname for Elyot?
2. How long were Elyot and Amanda married?
3. Which factor does NOT contribute to the rekindling of Elyot and Amanda's love for each other?
4. When Sibyl and Victor leave, what do Amanda and Elyot do with the cocktails?
5. What are Victor and Sibyl doing at the end of Act I?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)