|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before Sibyl storms off the terrace in Act 1, what does Elyot tell her?
(a) Elyot regrets marrying her.
(b) Elyot loves her.
(c) Elyot hopes she chokes on her dinner.
(d) Amanda is staying next door to them.
2. What does Elyot tell Amanda before he tries to leave the terrace?
(a) He tells her that they both know they are not in love with their new spouses.
(b) Elyot tells Amanda that he hates her for ruining his honeymoon.
(c) Elyot tells Amanda he loves her.
(d) Elyot tells Amanda he never loved her before.
3. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
4. What does Amanda say they must do before they leave for Paris?
(a) They must leave a note for their spouses.
(b) They must make a pact to never quarrel again.
(c) They must find their spouses and explain what happened.
(d) They must go home first.
5. How long have Amanda and Elyot been divorced at the start of the play?
(a) Three years.
(b) One year.
(c) Seven years.
(d) Five years.
6. What do both Amanda and Elyot express a mild appreciation for, to the shock of their spouses?
7. To what does Amanda say, "What an odd thing to be glad about?"
(a) Victor states that he is glad he is normal.
(b) Elyot tells Amanda that he is glad to see her.
(c) Elyot tells Amanda that he is glad they are both remarried.
(d) Victor tells Amanda that he is glad to be married to her.
8. Who is the oldest character of the four introduced in Act I?
9. How do Amanda and Elyot realize that they are sharing a terrace in the hotel?
(a) Amanda hears Elyot singing one of their favorite songs.
(b) Elyot sees Amanda with her new husband.
(c) Amanda hears Elyot shouting at Sibyl.
(d) Amanda asks Elyot for a cigarette.
10. What appears to be one of Elyot's pastimes?
11. What does Amanda forbid Victor from doing?
(c) Mentioning Elyot's name.
(d) Going to look for Elyot.
12. Where do Elyot and Sibyl plan to eat dinner?
(a) The yacht.
(b) The terrace.
(c) The casino.
(d) The hotel.
13. To whom does this statement refer? "I can't bear to think I'm married to such rugged grandeur."
14. What is heard off-stage when the play starts?
(a) Elyot and Sibyl arguing.
(b) A small orchestra.
(c) The ocean waves.
(d) Birds chirping.
15. In Act I, where do the honeymooning couples plan to spend their first night together?
(b) The French Riviera.
(c) St. Mortiz.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elyot say that Amanda initially resists?
2. What is Victor's nickname for his new wife?
3. Which factor does NOT contribute to the rekindling of Elyot and Amanda's love for each other?
4. What is the other option presented for Amanda and Elyot if they choose to not run away?
5. In what building does Act I take place?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)