|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elyot tell Amanda that comforts her?
(a) Elyot tells Amanda that Victor will take care of her.
(b) Elyot tells Amanda that Sibyl is a good woman.
(c) Elyot tells Amanda that she holds no mystery for him.
(d) Elyote tells Amanda that she is doing the right thing.
2. How long were Elyot and Amanda married?
(a) Three years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Two years.
(d) They were never married.
3. What does the orchestra keep doing in Act 1?
(a) The orchestra keeps playing Amanda and Elyot's song.
(b) The orchestra keeps making mistakes.
(c) The orchestra stops playing in the middle of every song.
(d) The orchestra keeps playing unnerving music.
4. What appears to be one of Elyot's pastimes?
5. What separates the two terraces in the first scene?
(a) A brick wall.
(b) A wrought-iron fence.
(c) A line of trees.
6. Which character says, "Love is no use unless it's wise, and kind, and undramatic?"
7. What does Amanda do when she realizes Elyot is in the hotel?
(a) She walks over to his side of the terrace.
(b) She asks him for a cigarette.
(c) She runs inside.
(d) She clutches her throat in shock.
8. Which factor does NOT contribute to the rekindling of Elyot and Amanda's love for each other?
(a) The arguments with Victor and Sibyl.
(b) Reminiscing about their marriage.
(c) Elyot watches Amanda dance with her husband.
(d) Hearing their song.
9. What is heard off-stage when the play starts?
(a) A small orchestra.
(b) Elyot and Sibyl arguing.
(c) Birds chirping.
(d) The ocean waves.
10. What does Amanda tell Victor in the first act that frightens him?
(a) Amanda claims to be unreliable and complex.
(b) Amanda wants to get a sunburn on the beach.
(c) Amanda plans to run away with Elyot.
(d) Amanda wishes to gamble all night.
11. What time of day does the first act take place?
12. What can Sibyl do that Amanda cannot?
(c) Play piano.
13. Who says, "I think very few people are completely normal really, deep down in their private lives?"
14. To whom does this statement refer? "I can't bear to think I'm married to such rugged grandeur."
15. According to Elyot, how does he feel about Amanda?
(a) He is indifferent toward her.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He is still angry at her.
(d) He despises and pities her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When fighting with Sibyl, what does Elyot say infuriates him more than anything?
2. Who is the oldest character of the four introduced in Act I?
3. What does Elyot say that Amanda initially resists?
4. What genre of play is "Private Lives?"
5. What is Sibyl's nickname for Elyot?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)