|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Elyot and Amanda spend their honeymoon?
(a) St. Mortiz.
(d) The Taj Mahal.
2. In Act I, Sibyl asks Elyot about Amanda. According to Elyot, what does Amanda do beautifully that Sibyl can not do?
(c) Play piano.
3. What genre of play is "Private Lives?"
(a) Theatre of the absurd.
(b) Theatre of cruelty.
(c) Comedy of manners.
(d) Comedy of errors.
4. In Act I, where do the honeymooning couples plan to spend their first night together?
(a) St. Mortiz.
(c) The French Riviera.
5. Where do Amanda and Victor plan to eat dinner?
(a) The casino.
(b) The hotel.
(c) The yacht.
(d) The terrace.
6. What does Elyot do to Amanda to calm her when she starts to panic about leaving?
(a) He tells her to find Victor and explain what is going on.
(b) He slaps her.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He has her drink some brandy.
7. What is the code-phrase that Amanda and Elyot decide to use to stop all arguments?
(a) Private lives.
(b) Sullivan Isaacs.
(c) Solomon's privacy.
(d) Solomon Isaacs.
8. To where do Elyot and Amanda plan to run away?
(c) The Taj Mahal.
9. What does Elyot tell Amanda that comforts her?
(a) Elyote tells Amanda that she is doing the right thing.
(b) Elyot tells Amanda that Sibyl is a good woman.
(c) Elyot tells Amanda that she holds no mystery for him.
(d) Elyot tells Amanda that Victor will take care of her.
10. To what does Amanda say, "What an odd thing to be glad about?"
(a) Victor tells Amanda that he is glad to be married to her.
(b) Elyot tells Amanda that he is glad to see her.
(c) Victor states that he is glad he is normal.
(d) Elyot tells Amanda that he is glad they are both remarried.
11. What does Elyot accuse Sibyl of being?
(a) Overly dependent.
12. What does Elyot tell Amanda before he tries to leave the terrace?
(a) Elyot tells Amanda that he hates her for ruining his honeymoon.
(b) Elyot tells Amanda he never loved her before.
(c) He tells her that they both know they are not in love with their new spouses.
(d) Elyot tells Amanda he loves her.
13. What does Sibyl dislike?
(a) Overly witty people.
(b) Nosy people.
(c) Masculine women.
(d) Overly masculine men.
14. What is heard off-stage when the play starts?
(a) Birds chirping.
(b) Elyot and Sibyl arguing.
(c) The ocean waves.
(d) A small orchestra.
15. What does Amanda forbid Victor from doing?
(a) Going to look for Elyot.
(c) Mentioning Elyot's name.
Short Answer Questions
1. What separates the two terraces in the first scene?
2. Which character says "I like a man to be a man?"
3. Who says, "I think very few people are completely normal really, deep down in their private lives?"
4. What does Sibyl want to avoid?
5. To whom does this statement refer? "I can't bear to think I'm married to such rugged grandeur."
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)