|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Elyot, how does he feel about Amanda?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He is still angry at her.
(c) He is indifferent toward her.
(d) He despises and pities her.
2. Who is the oldest character of the four introduced in Act I?
3. When Elyot is trying to convince Sibyl of premonition of disaster, what does he say will possibly happen?
(a) A fire at the hotel.
(b) A violent explosion.
(c) A flood.
(d) A boat accident.
4. What memory do Amanda and Elyot reminisce over after their spouses have left in Act 1?
(a) Ice skating.
(c) Walking around London.
(d) Traveling the world.
5. What does Elyot and Amanda conclude about their past relationship?
(a) Their relationship was perfect.
(b) Their relationship was not nearly as passionate as they remember.
(c) They had many wonderful times together.
(d) They had nothing but terrible times in their lives together.
6. What are Victor and Sibyl doing at the end of Act I?
(a) They are arguing with their spouses.
(b) They are taking in the view from the terrace.
(c) They are eating dinner together.
(d) They are arguing with each other.
7. What is Victor's nickname for his new wife?
(d) He does not have a nickname for her.
8. Who says, "I think very few people are completely normal really, deep down in their private lives?"
9. Where did Elyot and Amanda spend their honeymoon?
(a) The Taj Mahal.
(d) St. Mortiz.
10. Which factor does NOT contribute to the rekindling of Elyot and Amanda's love for each other?
(a) Hearing their song.
(b) Reminiscing about their marriage.
(c) Elyot watches Amanda dance with her husband.
(d) The arguments with Victor and Sibyl.
11. What genre of play is "Private Lives?"
(a) Theatre of the absurd.
(b) Theatre of cruelty.
(c) Comedy of errors.
(d) Comedy of manners.
12. What reason does Amanda give when she tries to convince Victor that they need to leave the hotel?
(a) The hotel is not comfortable enough.
(b) She has had a premonition of a natural disaster.
(c) Her sister died in a horrible accident nearby.
(d) Her sister is waiting for them in Paris.
13. According to Amanda, what did her and Elyot's love do to their relationship?
(a) It transcended their problems in the relationship.
(b) It did nothing.
(c) It brought out the best in them.
(d) It brought out the worst in them.
14. What does Amanda say they must do before they leave for Paris?
(a) They must find their spouses and explain what happened.
(b) They must leave a note for their spouses.
(c) They must go home first.
(d) They must make a pact to never quarrel again.
15. What does Amanda tell Victor she did to Elyot while they were married?
(a) Amanda cheated on Elyot.
(b) Amanda threw Elyot out of their house.
(c) Amanda threw furniture at Elyot.
(d) Amanda broke four records over Elyot's head.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does the first act take place?
2. What is heard off-stage when the play starts?
3. What is Sibyl's nickname for Elyot?
4. When fighting with Sibyl, what does Elyot say infuriates him more than anything?
5. Before Sibyl storms off the terrace in Act 1, what does Elyot tell her?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)