|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the orchestra keep doing in Act 1?
(a) The orchestra keeps making mistakes.
(b) The orchestra keeps playing unnerving music.
(c) The orchestra stops playing in the middle of every song.
(d) The orchestra keeps playing Amanda and Elyot's song.
2. Which character says, "Love is no use unless it's wise, and kind, and undramatic?"
3. To whom does this statement refer? "I can't bear to think I'm married to such rugged grandeur."
4. What does Amanda call Victor in Act 1?
(a) A "pompous ass."
(b) A weak man.
(c) A windbag.
(d) Not a gentleman.
5. What does Elyot and Amanda conclude about their past relationship?
(a) They had nothing but terrible times in their lives together.
(b) They had many wonderful times together.
(c) Their relationship was not nearly as passionate as they remember.
(d) Their relationship was perfect.
6. What does Amanda do when she realizes Elyot is in the hotel?
(a) She runs inside.
(b) She asks him for a cigarette.
(c) She walks over to his side of the terrace.
(d) She clutches her throat in shock.
7. When Elyot is trying to convince Sibyl of premonition of disaster, what does he say will possibly happen?
(a) A violent explosion.
(b) A fire at the hotel.
(c) A flood.
(d) A boat accident.
8. What is Sibyl's nickname for Elyot?
(d) She dooes not have a nickname for him.
9. In which country is Act I set?
10. What are Victor and Sibyl doing at the end of Act I?
(a) They are taking in the view from the terrace.
(b) They are arguing with their spouses.
(c) They are eating dinner together.
(d) They are arguing with each other.
11. Who is the oldest character of the four introduced in Act I?
12. What separates the two terraces in the first scene?
(a) A wrought-iron fence.
(b) A line of trees.
(c) A brick wall.
13. When fighting with Sibyl, what does Elyot say infuriates him more than anything?
(a) Being weak-willed.
14. What does Sibyl dislike?
(a) Masculine women.
(b) Overly witty people.
(c) Overly masculine men.
(d) Nosy people.
15. In Act I, Sibyl asks Elyot about Amanda. According to Elyot, what does Amanda do beautifully that Sibyl can not do?
(d) Play piano.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can Sibyl do that Amanda cannot?
2. What does Elyot accuse Sibyl of being?
3. Why do Amanda and Elyot choose to flee to Amanda's flat?
4. What does Amanda tell Victor about Elyot's presence?
5. What does Elyot believe is the cruelest thing he and Amanda could do?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)