|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do Charlie and Thomas volunteer?
2. Who pulls Thomas out?
3. What does Hanley tell his men?
4. What does Thomas see when he makes it into the main trench?
5. Once Thomas is back from leave, how far does the wave of advancing Germans get when the shelling stops?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the new assignment at Wipers like?
2. What happens when they encounter a German soldier in the German trenches?
3. What news does Molly announce and how does Charlie respond?
4. How does Thomas experience some of the gas and what happens when a German soldier sees Thomas?
5. What does Thomas wait for for a night and day and what is the outcome?
6. What happens when Thomas arrives in France?
7. What happens to Charlie when they return to their own lines?
8. What is the front line like?
9. Why is Molly at Charlie and Thomas' house one day when they return from work and what has she brought with her?
10. How does Charlie bring Sergeant Hanley's wrath down on the regiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas and Charlie. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Charlie and the Colonel. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems a more well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Private Peaceful help drive the plot and identify their contribution is to the story line. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Private Peaceful based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Private Peaceful is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Private Peaceful a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Private Peaceful is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)