|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thomas wonder when they are first in the German's lines?
2. What does Thomas do when he gets to a trench further back from the front lines?
3. What does Molly bring with her when she comes to visit Charlie at his house?
4. On what day does Charlie say he was born?
5. On what day does Thomas say he was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie bring Sergeant Hanley's wrath down on the regiment?
2. What is the front line like?
3. What happens to Thomas in the German bunker and who pulls him out?
4. What happens when they encounter a German soldier in the German trenches?
5. How does Thomas experience some of the gas and what happens when a German soldier sees Thomas?
6. What are Charlie and Thomas' company told to do one day?
7. Who is in the bunker and what does Sergeant Hanley order his men to do?
8. What happens to Charlie when they return to their own lines?
9. What does Thomas do on his one day of leave and why does that leave him feeling empty inside?
10. What happens when Thomas arrives in France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas sees a dead crow hanging from the fence. The crow reminds Thomas of his father's death. Thomas's father used to take Thomas out into the woods with him in the mornings to cut timber. Thomas would play in the woods while his father worked. One day, Thomas was playing in the woods and a tree almost fell on him. Thomas' father yells at him to run, but Thomas is scared and can't run. Thomas' father runs to him and throws him out of the way of the falling tree. The tree crushes Thomas' father, killing him instantly. At the funeral, Thomas keeps his terrible secret. If Thomas had only run when his father told him to, his father would still be alive. Thomas feels that he killed his father.
1. Discuss the implications or the situation of a father taking a very young boy with him when cutting timber, a very dangerous job even for adults. Why do you think the father did this? Why might the mother have allowed it? What does this say about the difference between the early 1900s and the present? Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
2. Discuss some of the ways in which Mr. Peaceful's death affected Thomas for the rest of his life. Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
3. Discuss the differences with which Thomas' family handled his father's death compared to how it might be done today. For example, is it more likely now that if a very young boy witnesses his father's death the boy would be taken to counseling? What other differences might occur? Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
4. Why do you think the dead crow reminded Thomas of his father's death? Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not? Did Private Peaceful ending on a less than happy note affect your perception or enjoyment of the book? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Private Peaceful and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Private Peaceful is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Private Peaceful? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Private Peaceful including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Private Peaceful and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)