|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old does the Army think Thomas is?
2. What happens in the next minute after the German soldier sees the English?
3. What are Charlie and Thomas glad to leave behind?
4. What happens when a German comes out from behind a curtain?
5. On what day does Charlie say he was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fighting that occurs after the bombardment stops.
2. How do Charlie and Thomas convince the Army that Thomas is old enough to join?
3. Why is Molly at Charlie and Thomas' house one day when they return from work and what has she brought with her?
4. Where are Charlie and Thomas sent and why are they glad at first?
5. How do Charlie, Thomas, and the rest of the regiment feel about the war during training?
6. What does the Colonel demand and how does he threaten Charlie's family?
7. What is the new assignment at Wipers like?
8. What happens to Charlie when they return to their own lines?
9. What are Charlie and Thomas' company told to do one day?
10. How does Thomas experience some of the gas and what happens when a German soldier sees Thomas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character and wonder if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Private Peaceful help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Private Peaceful? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Private Peaceful to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Private Peaceful? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Private Peaceful including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Private Peaceful and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Private Peaceful, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Private Peaceful. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)