|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the company ordered on the third day?
2. What does Hanley tell his men?
3. Who does Charlie carry on his back to their lines?
4. How old does the Army think Thomas is?
5. Where does Thomas go after putting on his gas mask?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thomas experience some of the gas and what happens when a German soldier sees Thomas?
2. How do Charlie and Thomas convince the Army that Thomas is old enough to join?
3. What is the new assignment at Wipers like?
4. What are Charlie and Thomas' company told to do one day?
5. What does Thomas do on his one day of leave and why does that leave him feeling empty inside?
6. What does Thomas wait for for a night and day and what is the outcome?
7. What news does Molly announce and how does Charlie respond?
8. What happens when Thomas arrives in France?
9. What does the Colonel demand and how does he threaten Charlie's family?
10. What happens when the next wave of shelling stops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Over the course of Private Peaceful, Thomas grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Private Peaceful might be considered a slice of Thomas's larger story of his "coming of age." It might be said that Private Peaceful is a "bildungsroman" of Thomas Peaceful. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Thomas as he changes from a more carefree, innocent boy to a wiser, young man. What are the significant events that change Thomas?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Thomas's growth throughout Private Peaceful, do you think Private Peaceful could be considered Thomas's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Private Peaceful who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Private Peaceful? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Private Peaceful including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Private Peaceful and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Private Peaceful. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Morpurgo chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Morpurgo chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Morpurgo's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Morpurgo use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)