|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Charlie feel about what Molly tells him?
2. What seems to be briefly forgotten right after Big Joe is found?
3. Why does the company huddle in their trenches for two straight days?
4. What is the result of Charlie's refusal?
5. How long does Thomas wait hoping Charlie appears?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Thomas arrives in France?
2. What is the new assignment at Wipers like?
3. What happens to Charlie when they return to their own lines?
4. What does the Colonel demand and how does he threaten Charlie's family?
5. How does Charlie bring Sergeant Hanley's wrath down on the regiment?
6. What is the front line like?
7. What happens to Thomas in the German bunker and who pulls him out?
8. Describe the fighting that occurs after the bombardment stops.
9. Who is in the bunker and what does Sergeant Hanley order his men to do?
10. Why is Molly at Charlie and Thomas' house one day when they return from work and what has she brought with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Private Peaceful? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Private Peaceful including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Private Peaceful and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Thomas sees a dead crow hanging from the fence. The crow reminds Thomas of his father's death. Thomas's father used to take Thomas out into the woods with him in the mornings to cut timber. Thomas would play in the woods while his father worked. One day, Thomas was playing in the woods and a tree almost fell on him. Thomas' father yells at him to run, but Thomas is scared and can't run. Thomas' father runs to him and throws him out of the way of the falling tree. The tree crushes Thomas' father, killing him instantly. At the funeral, Thomas keeps his terrible secret. If Thomas had only run when his father told him to, his father would still be alive. Thomas feels that he killed his father.
1. Discuss the implications or the situation of a father taking a very young boy with him when cutting timber, a very dangerous job even for adults. Why do you think the father did this? Why might the mother have allowed it? What does this say about the difference between the early 1900s and the present? Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
2. Discuss some of the ways in which Mr. Peaceful's death affected Thomas for the rest of his life. Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
3. Discuss the differences with which Thomas' family handled his father's death compared to how it might be done today. For example, is it more likely now that if a very young boy witnesses his father's death the boy would be taken to counseling? What other differences might occur? Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
4. Why do you think the dead crow reminded Thomas of his father's death? Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)