|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pulls Thomas out?
2. Why do the Germans begin to bombard their former trenches?
3. What does the sergeant tell Charlie?
4. Who does Thomas notice in town recruiting for the war?
5. What seems to be briefly forgotten right after Big Joe is found?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thomas experience some of the gas and what happens when a German soldier sees Thomas?
2. What happens when the next wave of shelling stops?
3. What is the new assignment at Wipers like?
4. What happens when Thomas arrives in France?
5. Who is in the bunker and what does Sergeant Hanley order his men to do?
6. How do Charlie and Thomas convince the Army that Thomas is old enough to join?
7. What news does Molly announce and how does Charlie respond?
8. What happens when they encounter a German soldier in the German trenches?
9. What happens to Thomas in the German bunker and who pulls him out?
10. How does Charlie bring Sergeant Hanley's wrath down on the regiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The men and officer of the firing squad do not want to kill Charlie, but they know their orders. After Charlie's death, everyone mourns him. Thomas is glad to find that Sergeant Hanley was killed, but his happiness is short lived. That horrible man has finally gotten what they all felt that he deserved, but Thomas is upset that it came too late to save Charlie. He hopes that Charlie knows that Hanley is dead, as it might give him a slight comfort. After saying good bye to his brother for the last time, Thomas feels as if a part of him has died with Charlie.
1. Do you think the men in the firing squad should have obeyed the order to kill Charlie? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
2. Do you think Hanley being killed was a just exchange for the sergeant basically being responsible for Charlie's death? Why or why not? Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
3. What do you think is the difference between socialization in the early 1900s and the present time that a soldier would be shot and killed for disobeying a dangerous and stupid order? Use examples from your own life and Private Peaceful to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Private Peaceful.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Private Peaceful. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Private Peaceful. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)