|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Thomas wait hoping Charlie appears?
2. What is Thomas told back at the hospital?
3. For what do Charlie and Thomas volunteer?
4. How does the Colonel threaten Thomas' family?
5. What does Thomas wonder when they are first in the German's lines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the front line like?
2. What news does Molly announce and how does Charlie respond?
3. What is the new assignment at Wipers like?
4. What happens when the next wave of shelling stops?
5. What does Thomas do on his one day of leave and why does that leave him feeling empty inside?
6. How do Charlie and Thomas convince the Army that Thomas is old enough to join?
7. What happens when Thomas arrives in France?
8. What happens to Charlie when they return to their own lines?
9. How do the men feel about Hanley's order, who voices that opinion, and what does Hanley say?
10. How does Thomas experience some of the gas and what happens when a German soldier sees Thomas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Private Peaceful belongs to the war novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the war novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a war novel and a historical novel or a mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Michael Morpurgo.
2. What in Morpurgo's background may have helped him in writing Private Peaceful? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)