|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Thomas say he was born?
2. What do Charlie and Thomas find when they return from work one day?
3. What happens when Thomas falls?
4. Who else suffers as a result of Charlie's refusal?
5. What does Molly bring with her when she comes to visit Charlie at his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Thomas arrives in France?
2. What happens to Thomas in the German bunker and who pulls him out?
3. Who is in the bunker and what does Sergeant Hanley order his men to do?
4. How do the men feel about Hanley's order, who voices that opinion, and what does Hanley say?
5. How does Thomas experience some of the gas and what happens when a German soldier sees Thomas?
6. How does Charlie bring Sergeant Hanley's wrath down on the regiment?
7. While in Wipers, what does the company do for two whole days?
8. Where are Charlie and Thomas sent and why are they glad at first?
9. What happens when the next wave of shelling stops?
10. What does the Colonel demand and how does he threaten Charlie's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Private Peaceful is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Private Peaceful. Questions that Morpurgo most likely wants readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Morpurgo' agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Morpurgo' probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Morpurgo and see if/where his life may have influenced his writing.
Essay Topic 3
Over the course of Private Peaceful, Thomas grows as a person in both complexity and understanding. Private Peaceful might be considered a slice of Thomas's larger story of his "coming of age." It might be said that Private Peaceful is a "bildungsroman" of Thomas Peaceful. Discuss the following:
1. Define Bildungsroman, or "Coming of Age," and give several examples from literature you have read.
2. Trace and analyze the character of Thomas as he changes from a more carefree, innocent boy to a wiser, young man. What are the significant events that change Thomas?
3. After thoroughly analyzing Thomas's growth throughout Private Peaceful, do you think Private Peaceful could be considered Thomas's Coming of Age story? Why or why not?
4. Are there any other characters in Private Peaceful who go through a Coming of Age experience? Who? Why do you think so?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)