|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Molly's parents forbid her to see Charlie after the incident with Bertha?
2. What does Charlie convince Thomas to do for him concerning Molly?
3. What does one of the bigger boys say about Big Joe?
4. What does Charlie tell Thomas about being in trouble?
5. How does Grandma Wolf feel about Big Joe's favorite animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What effect does Charlie taking Bertha have on his relationship with Molly?
2. What does Charlie do when he sees Thomas in a fight with Jimmy Parsons and what happens to the boys who are fighting?
3. What animal does Big Joe love and who does not share his enthusiasm for the creatures?
4. What does Big Joe ask his mother about heaven and what is her response?
5. What is the story of the harvest mouse?
6. What happens when Thomas and Charlie arrive at school on Thomas' first day of school?
7. Why is the punishment not so bad and how do the boy mark the end of their punishment period?
8. How do Charlie and Jimmy react to being caned and what does Thomas feel about Charlie?
9. How does the boys' situation change for the better after the Colonel's wife dies?
10. What happens to Bertha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an important part of what makes Private Peaceful interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Charlie. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he always likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
2. Thoroughly discuss and analyze Molly. What are her strengths? Her weaknesses? How does she contribute to the plot? Is she a sympathetic character? Is she ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
3. Thoroughly discuss and analyze the character of Thomas. What are his strengths? His weaknesses? How does he contribute to the plot? Is he a sympathetic character? Is he ever likable? Never likable? Use specific examples to illustrate your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Private Peaceful belongs to the war novel genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the war novel genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a war novel and a historical novel or a mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character and wonder if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Private Peaceful help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Private Peaceful? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Private Peaceful to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)