|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Charles and Thomas see Molly anymore?
2. What does Charlie refuse to tell the Colonel?
3. What does Charlie figure the Colonel will find out?
4. What happens when Thomas' father yells at him to run when a tree is falling down?
5. What do Charlie and Thomas do every Saturday until Christmas Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Thomas glad to be working at the same farm as Charlie?
2. Who searches for Big Joe and where do they find him?
3. What does Thomas remember about his first day of school?
4. Where do they bury Bertha and why kind of funeral does she receive?
5. What effect does Charlie taking Bertha have on his relationship with Molly?
6. What do Charlie, Thomas, and Molly do when one of the mice is caught and killed?
7. How do Charlie and Thomas thwart Grandma Wolf's attempts to get rid of the mice?
8. How does Thomas and Charlie get rid of the food they do not like?
9. At the novel's opening, what does Thomas Peaceful want to remember this night?
10. What animal does Big Joe love and who does not share his enthusiasm for the creatures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Thomas and Charlie. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Charlie and the Colonel. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems a more well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Private Peaceful help drive the plot and identify their contribution is to the story line. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character and wonder if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Private Peaceful help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Private Peaceful? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Private Peaceful to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Private Peaceful? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Private Peaceful including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Private Peaceful and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)