|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Charlie and Thomas thwart Grandma's scheme to rid the house of Big Joe's "pets"?
2. What does Big Joe's mother say in response to his question?
3. What do Charlie and Thomas try one more time while Molly is sick?
4. Where is Bertha buried?
5. What do Molly and Charlie both do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is life like when Grandma Wolf comes to live at the boys' home?
2. How do Molly and Charlie gradually become distanced from Thomas and what is Thomas' response?
3. What happens when Thomas and Charlie arrive at school on Thomas' first day of school?
4. How does Thomas and Charlie get rid of the food they do not like?
5. What does Big Joe ask his mother about heaven and what is her response?
6. How does Big Joe feel about food and what is his favorite food?
7. Why is Charlie upset by the Colonels plans for Bertha and what does he do to thwart those plans?
8. What punishment does the Colonel mete out to the boys and how does their mother amend the punishment?
9. What happens to Bertha?
10. At the novel's opening, who is Thomas Peaceful with and why is he determined not to sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character and wonder if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Private Peaceful help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Private Peaceful? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Private Peaceful to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadow? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Private Peaceful? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Private Peaceful including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Private Peaceful and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)