|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Thomas see when he returns from leave?
(a) Anna's sister.
(b) A boy his age who he went to school with.
2. What do Charlie and Thomas find when they return from work one day?
(a) The Colonel is dead.
(b) Molly is there.
(c) Grandma Wolf is dead.
(d) Their mother is ill.
3. What happens to Hanley?
(a) He is killed.
(b) He is captured.
(c) He returns to the trench where Charlie and Thomas are.
(d) He is badly wounded.
4. Who else suffers as a result of Charlie's refusal?
(a) Charlie's squad.
(b) Molly since Charlie never gets leave.
(c) No one.
(d) The entire regiment.
5. Who goes over the edge with the sergeant?
(a) No one.
(b) About half of the men.
(c) Everyone except Charlie and Thomas.
(d) Everyone except Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of the trial?
2. Once Thomas is back from leave, how far does the wave of advancing Germans get when the shelling stops?
3. What does Thomas do when he gets to a trench further back from the front lines?
4. How old does the Army think Thomas is?
5. What outnumbers the people at the next duty assignment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Charlie when they return to their own lines?
2. Describe the fighting that occurs after the bombardment stops.
3. While in Wipers, what does the company do for two whole days?
4. What is the new assignment at Wipers like?
5. What does Thomas do on his one day of leave and why does that leave him feeling empty inside?
6. How do the men feel about Hanley's order, who voices that opinion, and what does Hanley say?
7. How do Charlie, Thomas, and the rest of the regiment feel about the war during training?
8. Why is Molly at Charlie and Thomas' house one day when they return from work and what has she brought with her?
9. What happens when Thomas arrives in France?
10. Where are Charlie and Thomas sent and why are they glad at first?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)