|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thomas manage to get accepted?
(a) The Colonel intervenes on Thomas' behalf.
(b) They lie about his age.
(c) The Sergeant Major turns a blind eye to Thomas' age.
(d) Thomas just sqeaks in over the age limit.
2. What does Thomas wonder when they are first in the German's lines?
(a) Why it is so neat.
(b) How the Germans manage to have dry trenches.
(c) Why their food smells so much better than theirs.
(d) Where everyone is.
3. How long does Thomas wait hoping Charlie appears?
(a) Several days.
(b) A night and day.
(c) A couple hours.
(d) A week.
4. What happens when the Germans reach the barbed wire?
(a) They get caught in it and surrender.
(b) They are slaughtered almost to a man.
(c) They cut it with field pliers.
(d) They retreat.
5. Who does Charlie carry on his back to their lines?
(c) The wounded German.
(d) The Captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a German comes out from behind a curtain?
2. How old does the Army think Thomas is?
3. What does Thomas see when he makes it into the main trench?
4. What is the worst thing for Charlie and Thomas where they are now?
5. What does Thomas do when he gets to a trench further back from the front lines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Charlie and Thomas' company told to do one day?
2. How does Thomas react to Molly's being married to Charlie?
3. How do Charlie, Thomas, and the rest of the regiment feel about the war during training?
4. Who is in the bunker and what does Sergeant Hanley order his men to do?
5. What is the new assignment at Wipers like?
6. What happens when Thomas is writing a letter home and how does Thomas respond?
7. How does Thomas experience some of the gas and what happens when a German soldier sees Thomas?
8. How do the men feel about Hanley's order, who voices that opinion, and what does Hanley say?
9. Describe the fighting that occurs after the bombardment stops.
10. What happens when the next wave of shelling stops?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)