|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie say to Hanley?
(a) That at nightfall they cannot see the holes in the earth.
(b) That pursuit is suicidal.
(c) That if they retreat now, they will be seen and shot.
(d) That Charlie will go and destroy some of the guns.
2. What does Thomas see when he makes it into the main trench?
(a) The first German they saw is dead.
(b) There are six dead Germans and none of the English is harmed.
(c) One of the men from his home is dead.
(d) Everyone except Charlie are wounded in some way.
3. What does Molly tell Charlie?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is moving.
(c) She is marrying someone else.
(d) Her family forgives Charlie.
4. Who does Thomas notice in town recruiting for the war?
(a) The Colonel.
(b) The Mayor.
(c) The Colonel's son, who is a Captain.
(d) The Sergeant Major.
5. What caused most of the casualties?
(b) Plane straffing.
(d) Mortar fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to be briefly forgotten right after Big Joe is found?
2. What is Thomas doing when someone yells that gas is coming?
3. Why is Charlie sent home?
4. Who pulls Thomas out?
5. What happens when Thomas falls?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thomas experience some of the gas and what happens when a German soldier sees Thomas?
2. What does Thomas do on his one day of leave and why does that leave him feeling empty inside?
3. What does Thomas wait for for a night and day and what is the outcome?
4. Describe the fighting that occurs after the bombardment stops.
5. What happens when Thomas arrives in France?
6. What are Charlie and Thomas' company told to do one day?
7. How do the men feel about Hanley's order, who voices that opinion, and what does Hanley say?
8. What happens when the next wave of shelling stops?
9. While in Wipers, what does the company do for two whole days?
10. What happens when they encounter a German soldier in the German trenches?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)