|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Thomas feel guilty?
(a) For all the times Thomas disobeyed his father.
(b) Thomas feels he killed his father.
(c) For yelling at his father not long before his father dies.
(d) For not admitting to his mother what happened in the woods.
2. What does Thomas see hanging from a fence?
(a) A felt hat.
(b) A red bandana.
(c) A banana peel.
(d) A dead crow.
3. Why was no one worried about Big Joe earlier in the afternoon of Bertha's burial?
(a) He often wanders off.
(b) He was playing quietly by himself and did not seem upset.
(c) He said he was going to his room.
(d) He gave the Colonel a hug.
4. What does Molly say that makes Thomas think he'll love her forever?
(a) That Thomas is brave.
(b) That Charlie is the best brother in the world.
(c) That Big Joe is nice.
(d) That Thomas is right to defend Big Joe.
5. Why doesn't Thomas' mother stand up to Grandma Wolf?
(a) His mother says it would be disrespectful.
(b) Grandma Wolf intimidates Thomas' mother.
(c) His mother is too tired when she gets home.
(d) Grandma Wolf does not need standing up to.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie convince Thomas to do for him concerning Molly?
2. What happens when Thomas wakes Big Joe when they find him?
3. What does Charlie tell Thomas about being in trouble?
4. What do the boys do when they leave the Colonel's place on Christmas Eve?
5. What animal does Big Joe love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of the harvest mouse?
2. How does Big Joe feel about food and what is his favorite food?
3. Why is Thomas glad to be working at the same farm as Charlie?
4. How do Charlie and Thomas thwart Grandma Wolf's attempts to get rid of the mice?
5. Of what does the dead crow remind Thomas?
6. Why is the punishment not so bad and how do the boy mark the end of their punishment period?
7. How has Molly changed when she visits on Christmas Eve and how does Thomas feel about her?
8. What does Charlie do when he sees Thomas in a fight with Jimmy Parsons and what happens to the boys who are fighting?
9. How do Charlie and Jimmy react to being caned and what does Thomas feel about Charlie?
10. What does Thomas remember about his first day of school?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)