|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Molly give Big Joe for his birthday?
(a) A cat.
(b) A harvest mouse.
(c) A bird.
(d) A snake.
2. Of what does the thing hanging from the fence remind Thomas?
(a) His grandfather's farm.
(b) His other brother's death.
(c) His father's death.
(d) When his father leaves the family.
3. Why do Molly, Charlie, and Thomas bury a mouse and sing a hymn over its grave?
(a) To make Grandma Wolf feel badly.
(b) Big Joe is so despondent about its demise.
(c) Molly wants the kids to learn about death.
(d) The children want to give their father some company.
4. What does Big Joe ask his mother?
(a) If Bertha has a soul.
(b) If the Colonel will go to hell for killing Bertha.
(c) If animals go to a different heaven from humans.
(d) If they will all go to heaven when they die.
5. What does one of the bigger boys say about Big Joe?
(a) That Big Joe is a natural with animals.
(b) That Big Joe is a loon.
(c) That Big Joe should learn how to defend himself.
(d) That Big Joe is a nuisance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Molly do for Thomas?
2. What does Charlie tell Thomas about being in trouble?
3. What does Charlie promise Thomas?
4. Why does Big Joe run to the school one day?
5. What does Thomas Peaceful want to remember tonight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What future does Molly read in the gravel for her and the boys.
2. What happens when the Colonel arrives at the cottage the morning after Charlie steals Bertha?
3. What is life like when Grandma Wolf comes to live at the boys' home?
4. What does Big Joe ask his mother about heaven and what is her response?
5. What animal does Big Joe love and who does not share his enthusiasm for the creatures?
6. At the novel's opening, who is Thomas Peaceful with and why is he determined not to sleep?
7. How does Big Joe feel about food and what is his favorite food?
8. Who searches for Big Joe and where do they find him?
9. How do Molly and Charlie gradually become distanced from Thomas and what is Thomas' response?
10. Of what does the dead crow remind Thomas?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)