|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Big Joe love?
2. Where do Molly and Charlie begin to work?
(a) The Colonel's house.
(b) A factory.
(c) A cattle ranch.
(d) A dairy farm.
3. What does Thomas learn how to do at school?
(a) Say the pledge of allegiance.
(b) Tie his boots.
(c) Write his name.
(d) Use the water fountain.
4. What does Thomas usually forgo while at school?
(a) Flicking his lucky knife open and closed.
(c) Talking to Charlie.
(d) Eating his lunch.
5. What does Molly's mother say about Charlie's letters to Molly?
(a) She has not read them.
(b) They are sweet.
(c) They are degrading.
(d) They are sinful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Big Joe terrified?
2. Why do the boys end up enjoying their Saturdays?
3. Why does Big Joe cry uncontrollably one day?
4. What do Charlie and Thomas try one more time while Molly is sick?
5. Why does Big Joe's family get worried when it becomes dark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Bertha?
2. How do Charlie and Thomas thwart Grandma Wolf's attempts to get rid of the mice?
3. How does the boys' situation change for the better after the Colonel's wife dies?
4. How do Molly and Charlie gradually become distanced from Thomas and what is Thomas' response?
5. Why is Thomas glad to be working at the same farm as Charlie?
6. How does Big Joe feel about food and what is his favorite food?
7. How does Thomas and Charlie get rid of the food they do not like?
8. What animal does Big Joe love and who does not share his enthusiasm for the creatures?
9. What does Big Joe ask his mother about heaven and what is her response?
10. Why is the punishment not so bad and how do the boy mark the end of their punishment period?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)