|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Big Joe terrified?
(a) The devil.
(b) The Colonel.
(d) The dark.
2. Why doesn't Charlie see Molly or Thomas much after the Bertha incident?
(a) He is working across the town.
(b) He is ill.
(c) He has been drafted.
(d) He is depressed.
3. What happens when Thomas' father yells at him to run when a tree is falling down?
(a) Thomas runs and gets clear of the tree.
(b) Thomas trips.
(c) Thomas freezes.
(d) Thomas runs into a bear trap.
4. Where are Charlie and Thomas made to walk?
(a) To jail in town.
(b) To their cottage.
(c) To the Colonel's house.
(d) To the bailiff's office.
5. What does Big Joe after Bertha's burial?
(a) Wanders off.
(b) Goes back and sits by Bertha's grave.
(c) Goes to the Colonel's house.
(d) Goes and lies under his bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Molly give Big Joe for his birthday?
2. Who figures out where Big Joe is?
3. What does Charlie refuse to tell the Colonel?
4. Why doesn't Thomas' mother stand up to Grandma Wolf?
5. Why does Big Joe cry uncontrollably one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thomas' father die?
2. How do Charlie and Jimmy react to being caned and what does Thomas feel about Charlie?
3. Why is Thomas glad to be working at the same farm as Charlie?
4. Describe Thomas and Charlie's poaching experience.
5. What does Big Joe ask his mother about heaven and what is her response?
6. How does Thomas and Charlie get rid of the food they do not like?
7. What does Thomas remember about his first day of school?
8. What happens when Thomas and Charlie arrive at school on Thomas' first day of school?
9. What effect does Charlie taking Bertha have on his relationship with Molly?
10. What future does Molly read in the gravel for her and the boys.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)