|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of soldiers do Charlie and Thomas see in France?
(a) Solders from many countries.
(b) Elite special forces.
(c) German prisoners.
(d) Injured soldiers.
2. Who pulls Thomas out?
(a) Two of the soldiers in the trench with him.
(c) He digs himself out.
3. Who does Thomas notice in town recruiting for the war?
(a) The Colonel's son, who is a Captain.
(b) The Colonel.
(c) The Sergeant Major.
(d) The Mayor.
4. Where are Thomas, Charlie, and their local friends sent?
(a) To a special training school.
(b) On leave.
(c) To another unit.
(d) To the front.
5. How does the Colonel threaten Thomas' family?
(a) He does not threaten the family because he's in love with Thomas' mother.
(b) He says he will raise their rent if Charlie keeps telling lies about the Colonel.
(c) He says he will force Big Joe into an institution if Charlie does not enlist.
(d) He says he will kick them out of the cottage if Charlie does not enlist.
6. What happens to Hanley?
(a) He is captured.
(b) He is badly wounded.
(c) He returns to the trench where Charlie and Thomas are.
(d) He is killed.
7. What happens when a German comes out from behind a curtain?
(a) He raises his hands and surrenders.
(b) He starts shooting at the English.
(c) He falls to the ground and begs for his life.
(d) The German and the English stare at each other for a minute.
8. What does Charlie say to Hanley?
(a) That if they retreat now, they will be seen and shot.
(b) That at nightfall they cannot see the holes in the earth.
(c) That pursuit is suicidal.
(d) That Charlie will go and destroy some of the guns.
9. What do Charlie, Thomas, and the rest of the trainees think of the war during boot camp?
(a) As a distant thing.
(b) As immoral.
(c) As a necessary evil.
(d) As glorious.
10. What does the German soldier tell Thomas when he aims a gun to Thomas' head?
(c) You're dead.
11. What happens in the next minute after the German soldier sees the English?
(a) The German runs shrieking to his comrades.
(b) The German throws a grenade.
(c) The English shoot the German.
(d) The English tackle the German and gag him.
12. What does Molly bring with her when she comes to visit Charlie at his house?
(a) Her luggage.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A puppy.
(d) A note from her parents.
13. Who goes over the edge with the sergeant?
(a) Everyone except Thomas.
(b) Everyone except Charlie and Thomas.
(c) About half of the men.
(d) No one.
14. What is hanging on the peg that used to be for Thomas and Charlie's father's coat?
(a) Their mother's coat.
(b) Molly's coat.
(c) A wreath.
15. What outnumbers the people at the next duty assignment?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Thomas, Charlie, Hanley, and a dozen or so other men?
2. What is the worst thing for Charlie and Thomas where they are now?
3. What does everyone share in common?
4. How does Charlie feel about what Molly tells him?
5. What does Molly tell Charlie?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)