|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does everyone share in common?
(a) The lack of food.
(b) The terrible heat.
(c) The fear of letting down their buddies.
(d) Being cold.
2. What does the German soldier tell Thomas when he aims a gun to Thomas' head?
(b) You're dead.
3. What outnumbers the people at the next duty assignment?
4. What happens to Hanley?
(a) He returns to the trench where Charlie and Thomas are.
(b) He is killed.
(c) He is badly wounded.
(d) He is captured.
5. What is Thomas doing when someone yells that gas is coming?
(a) On guard duty.
(d) Writing a letter home.
6. What caused most of the casualties?
(b) Plane straffing.
(c) Mortar fire.
7. Where does Thomas aim?
(a) He does not aim.
(b) He aims towards the greatest concentration of the enemy.
(c) He aims over the heads of the German soldiers.
(d) He tries to make every bullet count.
8. Who does Thomas notice in town recruiting for the war?
(a) The Mayor.
(b) The Colonel.
(c) The Sergeant Major.
(d) The Colonel's son, who is a Captain.
9. What does Hanley order the men to do?
(a) Stay put.
(b) Retreat immediately.
(c) Wait for nightfall and then retreat.
(d) Continue pursuing the Germans.
10. Why is Charlie sent home?
(a) To recover from a bad burn.
(b) To recover from inhaling mustard gas.
(c) To recover from a foot wound.
(d) To recover from a wound to his head.
11. What does Molly tell Charlie?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is marrying someone else.
(c) Her family forgives Charlie.
(d) She is moving.
12. What happens when the Germans go into retreat?
(a) Thomas' company is ordered to pursue.
(b) Thomas' company is ordered to stand down.
(c) Thomas' company starts celebrating.
(d) Thomas' company stands in a stupor.
13. How does the Colonel threaten Thomas' family?
(a) He says he will raise their rent if Charlie keeps telling lies about the Colonel.
(b) He says he will kick them out of the cottage if Charlie does not enlist.
(c) He does not threaten the family because he's in love with Thomas' mother.
(d) He says he will force Big Joe into an institution if Charlie does not enlist.
14. What are Charlie and Thomas glad to leave behind?
(a) Two of their squad members who are mean.
(b) A couple women who persistently try to seduce them.
(c) Kitchen duty.
15. What does Thomas do at work that is different?
(a) He no longer enjoys his work.
(b) He asks for all the dangerous assignments.
(c) Take assignments that gets him away from Charlie.
(d) He no longer sings while working.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Thomas say he was born?
2. What does the new company commander know about fighting a war?
3. How do Charlie and Thomas sleep at their new assignment?
4. Where is the company ordered on the third day?
5. What type of soldiers do Charlie and Thomas see in France?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)