|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Thomas, Charlie, and their local friends sent?
(a) On leave.
(b) To a special training school.
(c) To another unit.
(d) To the front.
2. What are Charlie and Thomas glad to leave behind?
(a) Two of their squad members who are mean.
(c) Kitchen duty.
(d) A couple women who persistently try to seduce them.
3. On what day does Thomas say he was born?
(a) October 5.
(b) January 1.
(c) September 5.
(d) July 22.
4. What happens when Charlie and Thomas get to France?
(a) They are given non-combat assignments.
(b) They are split up.
(c) They have to face the truth of the war.
(d) They are both sent to work in the kitchens.
5. How does Thomas manage to get accepted?
(a) The Colonel intervenes on Thomas' behalf.
(b) Thomas just sqeaks in over the age limit.
(c) They lie about his age.
(d) The Sergeant Major turns a blind eye to Thomas' age.
6. How does Charlie feel about what Molly tells him?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He does not believe it.
7. How old does the Army think Thomas is?
8. Why can't Thomas go anywhere?
(a) His leg is broken.
(b) He is wounded too badly.
(c) They are surrounded by the enemy.
(d) He is blind.
9. What does Molly bring with her when she comes to visit Charlie at his house?
(a) A puppy.
(b) Her luggage.
(c) A kitten.
(d) A note from her parents.
10. What happens when the Germans reach the barbed wire?
(a) They get caught in it and surrender.
(b) They retreat.
(c) They cut it with field pliers.
(d) They are slaughtered almost to a man.
11. What does Charlie refuse to do?
(a) Stay off the front lines.
(b) Split from Thomas.
(c) Jump through Hanley's hoops.
(d) Salute Hanley.
12. What happens to Hanley?
(a) He is badly wounded.
(b) He returns to the trench where Charlie and Thomas are.
(c) He is captured.
(d) He is killed.
13. What is Thomas doing when someone yells that gas is coming?
(a) Writing a letter home.
(d) On guard duty.
14. Where does Thomas go after putting on his gas mask?
(a) The firestep.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The trenches.
(d) The barbed wire fencing.
15. Where is Thomas' company sent next?
(a) To Southern France.
(b) Back behind the front lines.
(c) To Italy.
(d) The Wipers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of Charlie's refusal?
2. What is the outcome of the trial?
3. What is Thomas told back at the hospital?
4. Who pulls Thomas out?
5. Where part of Thomas' body gets wounded?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)