|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Thomas go after putting on his gas mask?
(a) The firestep.
(b) The barbed wire fencing.
(c) The hospital.
(d) The trenches.
2. How does Thomas get partially buried in the dirt?
(a) A collapsing trench.
(b) A tank pushes dirt over him when it does not see him.
(c) He is partially buied under dead soldiers.
(d) By a shell explosion.
3. Why is Charlie sent home?
(a) To recover from inhaling mustard gas.
(b) To recover from a bad burn.
(c) To recover from a foot wound.
(d) To recover from a wound to his head.
4. What seems to be briefly forgotten right after Big Joe is found?
(a) Grandma Wolf.
(b) Big Joe's irritating behaviors.
(d) Old grudges.
5. What does Hanley order the men to do?
(a) Continue pursuing the Germans.
(b) Wait for nightfall and then retreat.
(c) Stay put.
(d) Retreat immediately.
6. Where are Thomas, Charlie, and their local friends sent?
(a) On leave.
(b) To a special training school.
(c) To the front.
(d) To another unit.
7. How does Thomas manage to get accepted?
(a) The Colonel intervenes on Thomas' behalf.
(b) They lie about his age.
(c) The Sergeant Major turns a blind eye to Thomas' age.
(d) Thomas just sqeaks in over the age limit.
8. What does everyone share in common?
(a) The lack of food.
(b) The fear of letting down their buddies.
(c) The terrible heat.
(d) Being cold.
9. What is Sergeant Hanely's nickname?
(a) Hanley the Hick.
(b) Horrible Hanley.
(c) Hard-hearted Hanley.
(d) Hopeless Hanley.
10. How does the Colonel threaten Thomas' family?
(a) He does not threaten the family because he's in love with Thomas' mother.
(b) He says he will raise their rent if Charlie keeps telling lies about the Colonel.
(c) He says he will kick them out of the cottage if Charlie does not enlist.
(d) He says he will force Big Joe into an institution if Charlie does not enlist.
11. What is the outcome of the trial?
(a) Charlie is sentenced to death.
(b) Charlie is sentenced to ten years at hard labor.
(c) Charlie does not have a trial.
(d) Charlie is found not guilty.
12. What does Thomas say he plans to do?
(a) Take over Charlie's job at the farm after Charlie enlists.
(b) Never go to war.
(c) Lie about his age and enlist.
(d) Beat up the Colonel.
13. What is Thomas told back at the hospital?
(a) He must go home because his lungs are too injured.
(b) His lungs will take a few weeks to totally recover.
(c) He is healthy.
(d) His lungs are slightly compromised.
14. What happens when Charlie and Thomas get to France?
(a) They have to face the truth of the war.
(b) They are both sent to work in the kitchens.
(c) They are split up.
(d) They are given non-combat assignments.
15. What does Thomas do when he gets to a trench further back from the front lines?
(b) Falls unconscious.
(d) Shakes uncontrollably.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Molly bring with her when she comes to visit Charlie at his house?
2. What makes Thomas feel terribly empty while he is on leave?
3. What is hanging on the peg that used to be for Thomas and Charlie's father's coat?
4. What does Thomas do at work that is different?
5. What happens when Thomas falls?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)