|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Charlie feel about what Molly tells him?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He does not believe it.
2. What does Thomas try not to do concerning Charlie or Molly?
(a) Be jealous.
(b) Be alone with either of them.
(c) Wish they would move away.
(d) Daydream about Charlie dying and Thomas marrying Molly.
3. What does everyone share in common?
(a) Being cold.
(b) The fear of letting down their buddies.
(c) The terrible heat.
(d) The lack of food.
4. What does Thomas think at first as they fire at the oncoming Germans?
(a) The Germans are stupid for running out in the open.
(b) The Germans cannot survive such an onslaught.
(c) The company cannot survive.
(d) The Germans are immortal.
5. What happens in the next minute after the German soldier sees the English?
(a) The German throws a grenade.
(b) The English tackle the German and gag him.
(c) The English shoot the German.
(d) The German runs shrieking to his comrades.
6. Who does Charlie carry on his back to their lines?
(a) The wounded German.
(d) The Captain.
7. How long does Thomas wait hoping Charlie appears?
(a) A week.
(b) A night and day.
(c) A couple hours.
(d) Several days.
8. What is Thomas doing when someone yells that gas is coming?
(b) Writing a letter home.
(c) On guard duty.
9. What is the result of Charlie's refusal?
(a) He is sent to the Navy brig.
(b) He is sent to the front lines.
(c) He is given a dishonorable discharge.
(d) He is punished every night.
10. Where are Thomas, Charlie, Hanley, and a dozen or so other men?
(a) In one trench that is left on the front lines.
(b) In the first line of German trenches.
(c) In a concrete bunker in no-man's land.
(d) In the hospital.
11. Where is Thomas' company sent next?
(a) Back behind the front lines.
(b) To Southern France.
(c) The Wipers.
(d) To Italy.
12. Where part of Thomas' body gets wounded?
(a) In the head.
13. What does Molly tell Charlie?
(a) She is marrying someone else.
(b) Her family forgives Charlie.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is moving.
14. What does the sergeant tell Charlie?
(a) Charlie will be shot if he disobeys an order.
(b) Charlie is ordered to take out the left gun's emplacement.
(c) Charlie is ordered to take Thomas for medical help.
(d) Charlie is ordered to stay and cover the other soldier's retreat.
15. Where are Thomas, Charlie, and their local friends sent?
(a) To the front.
(b) On leave.
(c) To a special training school.
(d) To another unit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Thomas see when he returns from leave?
2. What does Thomas do when he gets to a trench further back from the front lines?
3. Where is the company ordered on the third day?
4. What did Thomas used to do at The Duke that he no longer does?
5. What seems to be briefly forgotten right after Big Joe is found?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)