|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Germans begin to bombard their former trenches?
(a) They do not bombard their former trenches.
(b) To ruin the trenches.
(c) To drive the Allies back.
(d) To explode the abandoned ammunition.
2. What happens when the Germans reach the barbed wire?
(a) They are slaughtered almost to a man.
(b) They get caught in it and surrender.
(c) They retreat.
(d) They cut it with field pliers.
3. Who does Thomas notice in town recruiting for the war?
(a) The Mayor.
(b) The Colonel.
(c) The Colonel's son, who is a Captain.
(d) The Sergeant Major.
4. What does Thomas see as he is making his way out of the hospital?
(a) Lots of dead, gassed soldiers.
(b) Crying nurses.
(c) Lines of men waiting for medical care.
(d) Many soldiers retching.
5. What happens when the Germans go into retreat?
(a) Thomas' company starts celebrating.
(b) Thomas' company stands in a stupor.
(c) Thomas' company is ordered to pursue.
(d) Thomas' company is ordered to stand down.
6. Who pulls Thomas out?
(c) He digs himself out.
(d) Two of the soldiers in the trench with him.
7. What does Hanley tell his men?
(a) They have disgraced their unit.
(b) They now have practice with dealing with gas.
(c) They performed admirably.
(d) They are all cowards.
8. What is hanging on the peg that used to be for Thomas and Charlie's father's coat?
(a) A wreath.
(b) Their mother's coat.
(c) Molly's coat.
9. What do Charlie, Thomas, and the rest of the trainees think of the war during boot camp?
(a) As immoral.
(b) As a distant thing.
(c) As glorious.
(d) As a necessary evil.
10. What does Molly tell Charlie?
(a) Her family forgives Charlie.
(b) She is marrying someone else.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is moving.
11. How old does the Army think Thomas is?
12. What is Thomas doing when someone yells that gas is coming?
(a) Writing a letter home.
(c) On guard duty.
13. What does Hanley order the men to do?
(a) Stay put.
(b) Retreat immediately.
(c) Wait for nightfall and then retreat.
(d) Continue pursuing the Germans.
14. How does Thomas get partially buried in the dirt?
(a) By a shell explosion.
(b) A collapsing trench.
(c) A tank pushes dirt over him when it does not see him.
(d) He is partially buied under dead soldiers.
15. On what day does Thomas say he was born?
(a) October 5.
(b) July 22.
(c) January 1.
(d) September 5.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a German comes out from behind a curtain?
2. Why is Charlie sent home?
3. Where is Thomas' company sent next?
4. Why can't Thomas go anywhere?
5. On what day does Charlie say he was born?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)