|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Thomas, Charlie, Hanley, and a dozen or so other men?
(a) In the first line of German trenches.
(b) In one trench that is left on the front lines.
(c) In the hospital.
(d) In a concrete bunker in no-man's land.
2. What happens in the next minute after the German soldier sees the English?
(a) The German throws a grenade.
(b) The English tackle the German and gag him.
(c) The German runs shrieking to his comrades.
(d) The English shoot the German.
3. What is the worst thing for Charlie and Thomas where they are now?
(a) The rain.
(b) The constant sound of mortar fire.
(c) The sounds of soldiers dying.
(d) The continual loss of their trench mates.
4. What is hanging on the peg that used to be for Thomas and Charlie's father's coat?
(a) Molly's coat.
(c) A wreath.
(d) Their mother's coat.
5. Who does Thomas go to see on leave?
(a) His friend who is still recovering from wounds.
(b) No one.
6. What does Thomas see as he is making his way out of the hospital?
(a) Many soldiers retching.
(b) Lots of dead, gassed soldiers.
(c) Lines of men waiting for medical care.
(d) Crying nurses.
7. What happens when Thomas falls?
(a) He lands on a dead man in his company.
(b) He breaks his foot.
(c) He avoids being shot.
(d) His mask comes off slightly and he gets a whiff of the gas.
8. What does everyone share in common?
(a) Being cold.
(b) The lack of food.
(c) The fear of letting down their buddies.
(d) The terrible heat.
9. What does Thomas do when he gets to a trench further back from the front lines?
(b) Shakes uncontrollably.
(d) Falls unconscious.
10. How do Charlie and Thomas sleep at their new assignment?
(a) In barrels cut in half.
(b) In foxholes.
(c) In small bunkers.
(d) Standing up.
11. Who does Thomas see when he returns from leave?
(c) Anna's sister.
(d) A boy his age who he went to school with.
12. Why do the Germans begin to bombard their former trenches?
(a) To ruin the trenches.
(b) To explode the abandoned ammunition.
(c) They do not bombard their former trenches.
(d) To drive the Allies back.
13. What did Thomas used to do at The Duke that he no longer does?
(a) Have drinks with Charlie.
(b) Play darts.
(c) Dance with Molly.
(d) Flirt with the barmaid.
14. What does Thomas say he plans to do?
(a) Take over Charlie's job at the farm after Charlie enlists.
(b) Beat up the Colonel.
(c) Lie about his age and enlist.
(d) Never go to war.
15. How does the Colonel threaten Thomas' family?
(a) He says he will force Big Joe into an institution if Charlie does not enlist.
(b) He says he will kick them out of the cottage if Charlie does not enlist.
(c) He says he will raise their rent if Charlie keeps telling lies about the Colonel.
(d) He does not threaten the family because he's in love with Thomas' mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Thomas wait hoping Charlie appears?
2. How does Thomas get partially buried in the dirt?
3. What is Thomas told back at the hospital?
4. What does the new company commander know about fighting a war?
5. Who does Thomas notice in town recruiting for the war?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)