|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Thomas wakes Big Joe when they find him?
(a) He says he wants to die.
(b) He says he is hungry.
(c) He says Bertha slept with him.
(d) He says Bertha is not mad at the Colonel.
2. Why do Molly's parents forbid her to see Charlie after the incident with Bertha?
(a) Because they think Charlie is not a good prospect as a husband.
(b) They don't forbid her; they only suggest she not see him.
(c) Because they heard about his stealing the Colonel's dog.
(d) Because they think Charlie is too rebellious.
3. What does Charlie figure the Colonel will find out?
(a) That Charlie intends to marry his granddaughter.
(c) What Charlie has done with Bertha.
4. What does Big Joe's mother say in response to his question?
(a) All go to Heaven when they die.
(b) There is no hell so the Colonel will not go there.
(c) The Colonel will go to heaven but will be punished for killing Bertha.
(d) Animals go to a lower-level heaven than humans.
5. Where is Bertha buried?
(a) In the woods.
(b) In the orchard.
(c) They cremate her.
(d) They never find her body.
6. Where are Thomas and Charlie separated?
(a) At school.
(b) On the school bus.
(c) At church.
(d) At the social worker's office.
7. What is Thomas worried about in this first memory?
(a) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) Falling off the bike.
8. What does Molly give Big Joe for his birthday?
(a) A bird.
(b) A snake.
(c) A harvest mouse.
(d) A cat.
9. What does Molly's mother say about Charlie's letters to Molly?
(a) They are degrading.
(b) She has not read them.
(c) They are sweet.
(d) They are sinful.
10. Why does Grandma Wolf ask an animal charmer from the village come to the house once?
(a) To charm the Big Joe's pets away.
(b) To see if he could help the dog who was afraid of thunder.
(c) To charm the spiders out of the house.
(d) To see if he could make the horse stop bucking.
11. What does Charlie promise Thomas?
(a) That their mother is going to be well.
(b) To take care of Thomas.
(c) That Thomas will love school.
(d) That their father will come back home.
12. What does Thomas see hanging from a fence?
(a) A red bandana.
(b) A banana peel.
(c) A felt hat.
(d) A dead crow.
13. What is one way that Molly is different when the boys see her on Christmas Eve?
(a) She is gaunt.
(b) Her hair is down to the back of her knees.
(c) Her hair is shorter.
(d) She is heavier.
14. Of what does the thing hanging from the fence remind Thomas?
(a) When his father leaves the family.
(b) His grandfather's farm.
(c) His other brother's death.
(d) His father's death.
15. What song do they sing at Bertha's grave?
(a) "Jesus Loves Me."
(b) They do not sing.
(c) "Shall We Gather at the River."
(d) "Amazing Grace."
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Thomas feel guilty?
2. How many years of yesterdays and tomorrows does Thomas Peaceful have?
3. How successful is the animal charmer?
4. What does the Colonel say they can do with Bertha?
5. What does Molly say that makes Thomas think he'll love her forever?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)