|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Charlie's mother give the Colonel for Bertha?
(a) An extra day's work.
2. What secret does Thomas keep?
(a) That his father died saving Thomas' life.
(b) That Thomas' older brother sneaks out of the house at night.
(c) That Charlie loves a girl down the street.
(d) That his father was angry with Thomas just before the father dies.
3. Who figures out where Big Joe is?
(c) Big Joe's mother.
4. Who is Charlie?
(a) Thomas' father.
(b) Thomas' best friend in the first grade.
(c) The next-door neighbor.
(d) Thomas' brother.
5. What does Charlie convince Thomas to do for him concerning Molly?
(a) Try to talk to Molly and convince her to run away with Charlie.
(b) Try to convince her parents that Charlie is not a thief.
(c) Set up meetings with Molly.
(d) Deliver letters.
6. What do Charlie and Thomas try one more time while Molly is sick?
(b) Going down an abandoned mine shaft.
(c) Finding buried treasure at an abandoned house.
(d) Making peace with the boy who bullied Big joe.
7. What does Thomas do during his and Charlie's venture onto the Colonel's property?
(a) Fall asleep.
(b) Trip and knock over some tin cans.
(c) Accidentally shoot an old pistol they found.
(d) Encounter one of the Colonel's dogs.
8. What does Thomas usually forgo while at school?
(a) Eating his lunch.
(b) Talking to Charlie.
(c) Flicking his lucky knife open and closed.
9. What is one way that Molly is different when the boys see her on Christmas Eve?
(a) She is gaunt.
(b) She is heavier.
(c) Her hair is down to the back of her knees.
(d) Her hair is shorter.
10. Why do the boys end up enjoying their Saturdays?
(a) They learn how to gamble.
(b) They make good friends with the dogs.
(c) They become friends with the Colonel.
(d) They learn a great deal about farming.
11. What disease does Molly contract?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
12. What does Charlie refuse to tell the Colonel?
(a) Where Bertha is.
(b) Why Charlie left early the day before.
(c) If Thomas has Bertha.
(d) If Charlie thinks the Colonel is wrong.
13. What do Charlie, Thomas, and their mother on the day of the burial do after it gets dark?
(a) Call the Colonel.
(b) Have dinner and hope Big Joe will arrive.
(c) Decide to wait until morning to search for Big Joe.
(d) Search for Big Joe.
14. What did Big Joe say is his favorite food?
(b) Blood pudding.
(d) Any food that was available.
15. Who refuses to cry out with each lash of the cane Mr. Munnings administers?
(a) Big Joe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Grandma Wolf move?
2. Of what is Big Joe terrified?
3. What is Grandma Wolf's new job?
4. What does one of the bigger boys say about Big Joe?
5. Why was no one worried about Big Joe earlier in the afternoon of Bertha's burial?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)