|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Charlie?
(a) Thomas' brother.
(b) Thomas' father.
(c) Thomas' best friend in the first grade.
(d) The next-door neighbor.
2. What has Thomas Peaceful finally managed to do?
(a) Remember a dream.
(b) Find his father.
(c) Be alone.
(d) Feel happy.
3. What does Charlie figure the Colonel will find out?
(b) That Charlie intends to marry his granddaughter.
(d) What Charlie has done with Bertha.
4. Why don't Charles and Thomas see Molly anymore?
(a) Because she moves away.
(b) Because Molly gets angry with them.
(c) Because of her illness.
(d) Because her father meets Big Joe.
5. What did Big Joe say is his favorite food?
(b) Any food that was available.
(c) Blood pudding.
6. What does Molly predict when she reads Thomas, Charlie, and her future?
(a) Charlie will die soon.
(b) Big Joe will do something extraordinary.
(c) They will always be together.
(d) Thomas will marry her.
7. Why is Big Joe happy about Thomas and Charlie's conspiracy concerning food at meals?
(a) He doesn't have to feed his dog as much other stuff.
(b) He finds it amusing to see the boys' pockets bulging.
(c) He doesn't want the boys' mother to feel badly that they do like her cooking.
(d) He likes to eat the extra food.
8. What does Molly say that makes Thomas think he'll love her forever?
(a) That Thomas is brave.
(b) That Big Joe is nice.
(c) That Charlie is the best brother in the world.
(d) That Thomas is right to defend Big Joe.
9. What does the Colonel do even though he accepts Charlie's mother's offer?
(a) Punch Charlie in the face.
(b) Fire Charlie and his mother.
(c) Require Charlie to work a day without pay.
(d) Fire Charlie.
10. Who beats up Thomas?
(b) Mr. Munnings.
(c) Big Joe.
(d) One of the older boys at school.
11. What happens when Thomas' father yells at him to run when a tree is falling down?
(a) Thomas runs and gets clear of the tree.
(b) Thomas runs into a bear trap.
(c) Thomas freezes.
(d) Thomas trips.
12. Who figures out where Big Joe is?
(a) Big Joe's mother.
13. What does Thomas usually forgo while at school?
(a) Talking to Charlie.
(b) Flicking his lucky knife open and closed.
(d) Eating his lunch.
14. How do Charlie and Thomas thwart Grandma's scheme to rid the house of Big Joe's "pets"?
(a) They get their mother on their side.
(b) They hide the dog under the covers.
(c) They spring the mouse traps.
(d) They leave inanimate mice around.
15. Why might Big Joe be more upset than the family realizes?
(a) He does not cry when they bury Bertha.
(b) He say he is going to go to his room to sleep in the middle of the day.
(c) He refuses to look for Bertha.
(d) He is slow and may misunderstand the answers to his questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thomas realize when he and Charlie are caught on the Colonel's land?
2. What does Big Joe's mother say in response to his question?
3. What is Thomas worried about in this first memory?
4. What do Charlie and Thomas do every Saturday until Christmas Eve?
5. What punishment does the Colonel decide to mete out?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)