|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlie convince Thomas to do for him concerning Molly?
(a) Set up meetings with Molly.
(b) Deliver letters.
(c) Try to talk to Molly and convince her to run away with Charlie.
(d) Try to convince her parents that Charlie is not a thief.
2. What punishment does the Colonel decide to mete out?
(a) They have to clear an acre field of rocks.
(b) They have to cut firewood for the Colonel's house for the entire winter.
(d) A whipping and chores.
3. What do Molly and Charlie both do?
(a) Prepare for college.
(b) Begin to take drives into the country.
(c) Join a radical political group.
(d) Quit school.
4. What is Thomas doing when he makes a friend at school?
(a) Learning to write his name.
(b) Eating his lunch.
(d) Learning to tie his boots.
5. What does Thomas feel about Molly and Charlie as time goes on?
(a) He is being left behind.
(b) He hopes Molly will like him instead of Charlie.
(c) He hopes Molly won't dessert Charlie again.
(d) He hopes they will get married.
6. Who is with the Colonel when he confronts the boys?
(a) The bailiff and his hound.
(b) The sheriff.
(c) His field supervisor.
(d) No one.
7. Why might Big Joe be more upset than the family realizes?
(a) He say he is going to go to his room to sleep in the middle of the day.
(b) He does not cry when they bury Bertha.
(c) He refuses to look for Bertha.
(d) He is slow and may misunderstand the answers to his questions.
8. Where is Bertha buried?
(a) They cremate her.
(b) In the orchard.
(c) In the woods.
(d) They never find her body.
9. What does Molly's mother say about Charlie's letters to Molly?
(a) They are sweet.
(b) They are sinful.
(c) They are degrading.
(d) She has not read them.
10. Why does Big Joe's family get worried when it becomes dark?
(a) Because Bertha is in the dirt.
(b) Because they cannot find Big Joe.
(c) Because Big Joe refuses to eat.
(d) Because Bertha is alone in the dark.
11. What is the first thing Thomas thinks about from his past?
(a) His father and mother yelling at each other.
(b) His first bike ride.
(c) His first day of school.
(d) His brother being hit by a car.
12. What has Thomas Peaceful finally managed to do?
(a) Be alone.
(b) Feel happy.
(c) Find his father.
(d) Remember a dream.
13. What does the Colonel demand when he comes to the cottage in the morning?
(a) That Charlie's mother allow the Colonel to whip him.
(b) That Charlie tell him where Bertha is.
(c) That Charlie return the Colonel's gun.
(d) That Charlie pay the Colonel for Bertha.
14. What song do they sing at Bertha's grave?
(a) "Jesus Loves Me."
(b) "Amazing Grace."
(c) "Shall We Gather at the River."
(d) They do not sing.
15. Where does Big Joe keep his new pet?
(a) In an empty oatmeal box on his window sill.
(b) In a shoe box under his bed.
(c) In a shoe box in his closet.
(d) In his dresser drawer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Thomas worried about in this first memory?
2. What does Big Joe sing as a "prayer" for Molly?
3. Why are the boys happy after Grandma Wolf is no longer there?
4. Of what is Big Joe terrified?
5. What does Thomas' mother start doing for the Colonel?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)