|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How successful is the animal charmer?
(a) He manages to get the spiders all in one room.
(b) The dog stops cowering during thunderstorms.
(c) The horse no longer bucks but it will not move anywhere.
(d) His is not successful at all.
2. Where do Molly and Charlie begin to work?
(a) A cattle ranch.
(b) The Colonel's house.
(c) A factory.
(d) A dairy farm.
3. Why might Big Joe be more upset than the family realizes?
(a) He is slow and may misunderstand the answers to his questions.
(b) He refuses to look for Bertha.
(c) He does not cry when they bury Bertha.
(d) He say he is going to go to his room to sleep in the middle of the day.
4. What does Molly predict when she reads Thomas, Charlie, and her future?
(a) Thomas will marry her.
(b) Big Joe will do something extraordinary.
(c) They will always be together.
(d) Charlie will die soon.
5. Why is Thomas proud of Charlie on the day that Big Joe comes to school?
(a) Because Charlie does not let Big Joe know the other kids were making fun of him.
(b) Because Charlie tells Thomas' punishment.
(c) Because Charlie is so stoic about the cane beating.
(d) Because Charlie tells Mr. Munnings the truth.
6. Who is Charlie?
(a) Thomas' brother.
(b) Thomas' father.
(c) Thomas' best friend in the first grade.
(d) The next-door neighbor.
7. What does Big Joe's mother say in response to his question?
(a) Animals go to a lower-level heaven than humans.
(b) There is no hell so the Colonel will not go there.
(c) All go to Heaven when they die.
(d) The Colonel will go to heaven but will be punished for killing Bertha.
8. What is Grandma Wolf's new job?
(a) Laundress for the prison.
(c) Cook at a restaurant.
(d) Tailor in the local shop.
9. Where does Big Joe keep his new pet?
(a) In a shoe box in his closet.
(b) In a shoe box under his bed.
(c) In an empty oatmeal box on his window sill.
(d) In his dresser drawer.
10. How does Thomas and Charlie get rid of food they did not like?
(a) Stuff it in their pockets.
(b) Stuff the food in their mouths and run outside and spit it out.
(c) Give it to the dog.
(d) Give it to Big Joe.
11. What does Molly start doing after the fighting incident at school?
(a) Warns Thomas if someone is about to jump him.
(b) Flirts with Charlie.
(c) Goes to Thomas' house often.
(d) Avoids Thomas.
12. Of what is Big Joe terrified?
(a) The dark.
(c) The devil.
(d) The Colonel.
13. For what does the Colonel think Charlie should be held accountable?
(a) The loss of the Colonel's best pair of fencing cutters.
(b) Charlie's thieving ways.
(c) The time Charlie did not work the day before when he stole Bertha.
(d) The loss of the Colonel's best fishing rod.
14. What does the Colonel demand when he comes to the cottage in the morning?
(a) That Charlie return the Colonel's gun.
(b) That Charlie pay the Colonel for Bertha.
(c) That Charlie tell him where Bertha is.
(d) That Charlie's mother allow the Colonel to whip him.
15. What does Molly do for Thomas?
(a) Sews his torn shirt.
(b) Gives him her lunch.
(c) Cleans him up.
(d) Helps him with his math work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Charlie see Molly or Thomas much after the Bertha incident?
2. What does Molly say that makes Thomas think he'll love her forever?
3. What do the boys do when they leave the Colonel's place on Christmas Eve?
4. What does Molly's mother say about Charlie's letters to Molly?
5. What is Thomas classified as when he starts school?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)