|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thomas' mother start doing for the Colonel?
(a) Keeps his books.
(b) Supervises the hired help.
(c) Takes care of the Colonel's wife.
(d) Does his correspondence.
2. What song do they sing at Bertha's grave?
(a) "Amazing Grace."
(b) They do not sing.
(c) "Shall We Gather at the River."
(d) "Jesus Loves Me."
3. What does Big Joe ask his mother?
(a) If the Colonel will go to hell for killing Bertha.
(b) If they will all go to heaven when they die.
(c) If Bertha has a soul.
(d) If animals go to a different heaven from humans.
4. What does the Colonel demand when he comes to the cottage in the morning?
(a) That Charlie tell him where Bertha is.
(b) That Charlie pay the Colonel for Bertha.
(c) That Charlie's mother allow the Colonel to whip him.
(d) That Charlie return the Colonel's gun.
5. Why is Thomas proud of Charlie on the day that Big Joe comes to school?
(a) Because Charlie tells Mr. Munnings the truth.
(b) Because Charlie does not let Big Joe know the other kids were making fun of him.
(c) Because Charlie is so stoic about the cane beating.
(d) Because Charlie tells Thomas' punishment.
6. What do Charlie, Thomas, and their mother on the day of the burial do after it gets dark?
(a) Call the Colonel.
(b) Search for Big Joe.
(c) Decide to wait until morning to search for Big Joe.
(d) Have dinner and hope Big Joe will arrive.
7. Where are Thomas and Charlie separated?
(a) At church.
(b) At school.
(c) On the school bus.
(d) At the social worker's office.
8. Why does Thomas' father sometimes take Thomas into the woods?
(a) To give him a spanking.
(b) To learn how to track animals.
(c) To learn how to identify trees.
(d) To be with the father when he is cutting timber.
9. What do Charlie and Thomas try one more time while Molly is sick?
(a) Going down an abandoned mine shaft.
(b) Finding buried treasure at an abandoned house.
(c) Making peace with the boy who bullied Big joe.
10. What punishment does the Colonel decide to mete out?
(b) They have to clear an acre field of rocks.
(c) A whipping and chores.
(d) They have to cut firewood for the Colonel's house for the entire winter.
11. What do Charlie and Thomas' mother do when the boys are caught on the Colonel's land?
(a) Stops the Colonel from whipping the boys.
(b) Allows the Colonel complete control over the boys' punishment.
(c) Pays the Colonel for dead fish.
(d) Pays the Colonel to teach the boys better manners.
12. Why is Big Joe happy about Thomas and Charlie's conspiracy concerning food at meals?
(a) He doesn't want the boys' mother to feel badly that they do like her cooking.
(b) He likes to eat the extra food.
(c) He finds it amusing to see the boys' pockets bulging.
(d) He doesn't have to feed his dog as much other stuff.
13. How much does Charlie's mother give the Colonel for Bertha?
(a) An extra day's work.
14. What does Molly predict when she reads Thomas, Charlie, and her future?
(a) Thomas will marry her.
(b) Big Joe will do something extraordinary.
(c) They will always be together.
(d) Charlie will die soon.
15. What does Molly tell Grandma Wolf?
(a) Grandma Wolf should move out.
(b) Grandma Wolf is a devil.
(d) Grandma Wolf will go to hell after death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlie figure the Colonel will find out?
2. What secret does Thomas keep?
3. What does Thomas learn how to do at school?
4. What happens when Thomas' father yells at him to run when a tree is falling down?
5. Why does Grandma Wolf ask an animal charmer from the village come to the house once?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)