Five Past Ten
• Thomas Peaceful, a private in the first World War, is determined not to sleep as to not waste time any time dreaming.
• Thomas recalls his first day of school and his worry about it. His brother Charlie takes him and promises to take care of him.
• Charlie cannot stay with him as he is a Biggun and Thomas is a Tiddler. Thomas learns how to tie his shoes and makes a friend.
• Thomas sees a dead crow hanging from the fence and it reminds him of his father's death. His father would take him in the woods with him to cut timber.
• Thomas would play while his father worked. One day a tree almost fell on him. His father yells at him to run but Thomas is too afraid.
• His father runs to him, throws him out of the way, and is crushed by the...
This section contains 2,214 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)