|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what countries did Lessing see bloody revolutions?
2. What did Lessing propose that our government should do?
3. Lessing believed that anyone studying sects was susceptible to ______________.
4. What has become a natural complement to brainwashing, according to Lessing?
5. What members of the public eye, according to Lessing, often repeat words and phrases to breed familiarity?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people often conform to groups?
2. Why would Margaret Thatcher use an advertising agency as a method to get elected?
3. What was the Milgram experiment?
4. Why do people fall victim to "inner censorship"?
5. What type of ideas can be put into a subject's mind during the brainwashing process?
6. What was the literary community's reaction to Lessing's pseudonym experiment?
7. What type of wars did Lessing live through?
8. What is the price an individual might pay if he resists the group mentality?
9. What relationship does communism have with the individual?
10. Are all aspects of brainwashing intentional?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lessing believed that, throughout history, a group mentality has prevented people from standing up to thoughts and ideas that caused harm to others. Citing examples from the text, discuss the various moments throughout history where group mentality was dominant over reason. Include the following:
1) Hitler's regime.
2) The witch trials.
3) Religious sects.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of the individual in society, citing examples from the text to support your theory.
Essay Topic 3
In her early days in Rhodesia, Lessing joined the Communist party.
1) Why did she join this group?
2) What did she like and dislike about being a Communist?
3) What did she learn from the experience?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)