|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lessing refers to examples such as the acceptance of Jean Rhys' work as what type of mentality?
2. According to researchers, those who resist indoctrination the most are the ones very capable in what area?
3. What happened to the man who named his cat "King of Kings"?
4. What has become a natural complement to brainwashing, according to Lessing?
5. What does the group mind often discourage, according to Lessing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Lessing opposed to mass emotion?
2. Why would a government or sect of any sort want to control its subjects through brainwashing?
3. Why did Lessing believe that insane people are the only ones safe against brainwashing?
4. Why do most people believe they are not susceptible to brainwashing?
5. What is the price an individual might pay if he resists the group mentality?
6. When it comes to commentators and critics, what breeds an air of familiarity with viewers?
7. According to Lessing, why is elitism considered unfashionable?
8. During the Korean War, why were American soldiers confessing to crimes they had nothing to do with?
9. What relationship does communism have with the individual?
10. Why do most people not want to hear about brainwashing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lessing felt that humans suffered from an "awful primitivism." What were some of the examples she gave to support this theory?
Essay Topic 2
When examining the miner's strike, Lessing noted that onlookers knew both sides of the debate were lying about the issues, yet people took sides in spite of the lack of accurate information.
1) What type of information should people use to come to conclusions?
2) What type of information do people typically use to come to conclusions?
3) What does Lessing say about the tendency of people to come to conclusions in spite of a lack of information?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of democracy has been around for years. Lessing believed that, with time and the support of free thinkers, it will continue to grow and develop.
1) What is democracy and who started it?
2) What are some challenges it has faced?
3) Where does Lessing see it going in the future?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)