|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many books did Lessing write under a pseudonym?
2. With brainwashing techniques, soldiers can be made to feel ________ about killing.
3. Lessing believed that people are governed by ___________.
4. Why do most people ignore the existence of brainwashing techniques?
5. During the Milgram experiment, what did most of the subjects do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would a government or sect of any sort want to control its subjects through brainwashing?
2. When confronted with a group opinion, why is it often difficult to maintain an opposing, individual opinion?
3. What type of wars did Lessing live through?
4. Why do people often conform to groups?
5. Why would Margaret Thatcher use an advertising agency as a method to get elected?
6. Why do most people believe they are not susceptible to brainwashing?
7. Who is Jean Rhys? Why did all of her work become popular?
8. Lessing stated that people in democratic societies are often fooling themselves on their level of freedom. Why?
9. What types of organizations have studied or used brainwashing?
10. According to Lessing, why is elitism considered unfashionable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lessing contended that several parts of our culture use brainwashing as a form of communication. Choose from one of the following entities and examine the influence it has or could have on society through brainwashing.
1) Advertising community.
Essay Topic 2
Brainwashing is an unpleasant idea for those who believe they are susceptible.
1) According to Lessing, who feels susceptible to brainwashing?
2) What is the process of brainwashing?
3) Who is susceptible to brainwashing?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of democracy has been around for years. Lessing believed that, with time and the support of free thinkers, it will continue to grow and develop.
1) What is democracy and who started it?
2) What are some challenges it has faced?
3) Where does Lessing see it going in the future?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)