|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Lessing, is the biggest problem people in democratic societies face?
2. Lessing felt that what type of response should be the only response to wild emotionalism?
3. What does every country perpetuate to some extent, according to Lessing?
4. Lessing considered the time period of World War II to be ___________.
5. Through understanding brainwashing, Lessing hoped that people could let go of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Lessing, why is elitism considered unfashionable?
2. What relationship does communism have with the individual?
3. Why do people fall victim to "inner censorship"?
4. Why did Lessing believe that insane people are the only ones safe against brainwashing?
5. What type of ideas can be put into a subject's mind during the brainwashing process?
6. When confronted with a group opinion, why is it often difficult to maintain an opposing, individual opinion?
7. Are all aspects of brainwashing intentional?
8. Why would a government or sect of any sort want to control its subjects through brainwashing?
9. Why do people often conform to groups?
10. What was the literary community's reaction to Lessing's pseudonym experiment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Akhnaton was an Egyptian ruler who changed the concept of Egyptian religion in spite of popular opinion.
1) What factors allowed Akhaton to be a free thinker?
2) What was the response from the masses?
3) What effect did his decision have on the future?
Essay Topic 2
The mob mentality is an idea Lessing attributes to many of the shortcomings of the human race.
1) What is the mob mentality?
2) How does it work when a problem is at hand?
3) At what point does this mentality serve as a detriment to society?
Essay Topic 3
The desire for war was something Lessing believed was innate in man.
1) How might different points of view influence a man's desire to fight?
2) Why did Lessing suggest that the word "blood" taps into an instinct to fight?
3) According to Lessing, what is the result of war on society?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)