|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lessing believed that groups act together due to ___________.
2. According to Lessing, what is a recipe for social disorder?
3. What did Lessing reference as a method groups use to encourage others not to think?
4. What minority did Lessing believe needed to be strengthened in order to help the future?
5. The Arthasastra mentions that it is only ________ in a line of books.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lessing consider the age of Arthastra to be significant?
2. As Lessing looked ahead, how would people of the future feel, considering our lack of ability to change?
3. When onlookers recognize that others are lying, Lessing believed they refuse to protest the lies for what purpose?
4. According to Lessing, how is the group mentality different from individual mentality?
5. What comments did Lessing make about the length of time the white ruling class was in power in Rhodesia?
6. What is remarkable about the fact that the blacks were treated as second class citizens in Rhodesia?
7. Why was Lessing not surprised by the story of the attack on the British miner who was beaten by his friends?
8. Why did Lessing join a communist group in Rhodesia?
9. What service did Lessing feel that novelists brought to the world?
10. What was the purpose of cutting down a tree associated with a traitor? Why did Lessing find it ridiculous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the Korean War, U.S. soldiers were brainwashed into confessing crimes they did not commit. This began a government investigation into brainwashing. How might government knowledge of brainwashing affect society?
Essay Topic 2
Mass insanity is a concept Lessing used to describe the tendency of people to accept ideas based on nothing found in reality. What did she mean by this?
Essay Topic 3
Lessing believed that the word "blood" is a powerful one when it comes to inciting emotion.
1) Why did she find the word "blood" significant?
2) What are some examples she gives to support this theory?
3) What are the implications regarding human nature and violence?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)