|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the miner's strike referenced by Lessing take place?
2. What did people think of the farmer's decision to punish the bull?
3. What is the Arthasastra about?
4. Lessing felt that the party ruling Rhodesia was ____________.
5. Lessing mentions a tree that was cut down in what country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What service did Lessing feel that novelists brought to the world?
2. What is remarkable about the fact that the blacks were treated as second class citizens in Rhodesia?
3. What ideas do the quotes prior to "When in the Future They Look Back on Us" demonstrate?
4. Why did Lessing believe the tendency to buy into vilification was a form of popular lunacy?
5. How did the ruling class in Rhodesia get others to go along with their beliefs?
6. Why does Lessing consider the age of Arthastra to be significant?
7. When onlookers recognize that others are lying, Lessing believed they refuse to protest the lies for what purpose?
8. According to Lessing, how is the group mentality different from individual mentality?
9. What did Lessing mean when she said that groups will often "vilify their opposition"?
10. Why was Lessing not surprised by the story of the attack on the British miner who was beaten by his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Lessing, what is the role of novelists in a society?
Essay Topic 2
In her early days in Rhodesia, Lessing joined the Communist party.
1) Why did she join this group?
2) What did she like and dislike about being a Communist?
3) What did she learn from the experience?
Essay Topic 3
Examine one of the following examples, supporting or refuting Lessing's belief that these groups vilified the opposition in order to uphold their cause.
1) The miner who was beaten in Britain.
2) The Christian religion.
3) The political Left.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)