|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do most people ignore the existence of brainwashing techniques?
(a) They do not like the idea.
(b) They are irritated by the idea.
(c) It is too expensive for most people.
(d) It is too hard to learn.
2. Experiments in prisons show that ordinary people _________________.
(a) Try to escape.
(b) Adjust well to incarceration.
(c) Tell on the inmates.
(d) Adopt prison behaviors.
3. What pseudonym did Lessing write under?
(a) April Smalley.
(b) Jessica Walsh.
(c) Jane Doe.
(d) Jane Somers.
4. What are two entities which perpetuate brainwashing?
(a) Advertising and government.
(b) Religion and farmers.
(c) Hollywood and religion.
(d) Government and the food industry.
5. What does every country perpetuate to some extent, according to Lessing?
(d) False modesty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did society accept work from Jean Rhys that had previously been rejected?
2. Lessing considered the time period of World War II to be ___________.
3. What are some of the steps in brainwashing?
4. Lessing believed that any sane person is susceptible to __________.
5. With brainwashing techniques, soldiers can be made to feel ________ about killing.
Short Essay Questions
1. When confronted with a group opinion, why is it often difficult to maintain an opposing, individual opinion?
2. Why do people fall victim to "inner censorship"?
3. When it comes to commentators and critics, what breeds an air of familiarity with viewers?
4. Why would Margaret Thatcher use an advertising agency as a method to get elected?
5. Why do most people believe they are not susceptible to brainwashing?
6. What type of ideas can be put into a subject's mind during the brainwashing process?
7. During the Korean War, why were American soldiers confessing to crimes they had nothing to do with?
8. What is the value of brainwashing to a government?
9. Are all aspects of brainwashing intentional?
10. Why was Lessing opposed to mass emotion?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)