|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Experiments in prisons show that ordinary people _________________.
(a) Try to escape.
(b) Adopt prison behaviors.
(c) Adjust well to incarceration.
(d) Tell on the inmates.
2. According to Lessing, what are power structures across the globe putting into practice?
(a) Technological advancements.
(b) Taxation without representation.
(c) Training for the individual.
(d) Group psychology.
3. At a popular university, a researcher had the ability to control a subject by __________.
(a) Food rationing.
(c) Limiting exercise.
(d) Playing music.
4. Why is it important for a leader to know what those below him are doing?
(a) To maintain power.
(b) To protect citizens.
(c) Their actions represent him.
(d) All of these.
5. What are two entities which perpetuate brainwashing?
(a) Government and the food industry.
(b) Hollywood and religion.
(c) Advertising and government.
(d) Religion and farmers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lessing is convinced that too many people are ____________.
2. Lessing is concerned that too many people are __________ about group psychology.
3. Why do most people ignore the existence of brainwashing techniques?
4. What type of exposure leads the public to feel less for terrible disasters?
5. Lessing felt that what type of response should be the only response to wild emotionalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why would a government or sect of any sort want to control its subjects through brainwashing?
2. When confronted with a group opinion, why is it often difficult to maintain an opposing, individual opinion?
3. Lessing stated that people in democratic societies are often fooling themselves on their level of freedom. Why?
4. Why do most people believe they are not susceptible to brainwashing?
5. Who is Jean Rhys? Why did all of her work become popular?
6. What is the price an individual might pay if he resists the group mentality?
7. When it comes to commentators and critics, what breeds an air of familiarity with viewers?
8. During the Korean War, why were American soldiers confessing to crimes they had nothing to do with?
9. What type of wars did Lessing live through?
10. What was the literary community's reaction to Lessing's pseudonym experiment?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)