|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Jean Rhys popular?
(a) A public affair.
(b) Charity work.
(c) A stint in office.
(d) A successful book.
2. Lessing believed that anyone studying sects was susceptible to ______________.
(a) Going crazy.
(b) Accusing innocent people.
(c) Not taking the study seriously.
(d) Believing their doctrine.
3. Experiments in mental hospitals have shown sane people mistaken for _______________.
(a) Corporate staff.
(b) Medical staff.
(c) Insane people.
(d) Dangerous criminals.
4. For how many years have governments and priesthoods used brainwashing techniques?
5. Lessing believed that any sane person is susceptible to __________.
(d) Ardent patriotism.
Short Answer Questions
1. When unprompted confessions took place during the war, what did governments begin to study?
2. What did many of the victims do during the Milgram experiment?
3. Lessing thought _____________ would be angry over her experiment with a pseudonym.
4. With brainwashing techniques, soldiers can be made to feel ________ about killing.
5. Why did society accept work from Jean Rhys that had previously been rejected?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the value of brainwashing to a government?
2. Why would a government or sect of any sort want to control its subjects through brainwashing?
3. What type of wars did Lessing live through?
4. When confronted with a group opinion, why is it often difficult to maintain an opposing, individual opinion?
5. According to Lessing, why is elitism considered unfashionable?
6. What types of organizations have studied or used brainwashing?
7. What was the literary community's reaction to Lessing's pseudonym experiment?
8. When it comes to commentators and critics, what breeds an air of familiarity with viewers?
9. Why do most people believe they are not susceptible to brainwashing?
10. Are all aspects of brainwashing intentional?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)