|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country did the Shah rule?
2. In Russia and Czechoslovakia, people confessed to ridiculous crimes during __________.
(a) The Show Trials.
(b) The No Trials.
(c) The Interest Investigation.
(d) The Scholar Trials.
3. What did Lessing believe about those living in democratic societies?
(a) They are not truly free.
(b) They have too much money.
(c) They are individuals.
(d) They are selfish.
4. For how many years have governments and priesthoods used brainwashing techniques?
5. How many books did Lessing write under a pseudonym?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Lessing, what are power structures across the globe putting into practice?
2. During the Milgram experiment, people were instructed to give other people _____________.
3. At a popular university, a researcher had the ability to control a subject by __________.
4. What was Jean Rhys' occupation?
5. With brainwashing techniques, soldiers can be made to feel ________ about killing.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do most people believe they are not susceptible to brainwashing?
2. What type of ideas can be put into a subject's mind during the brainwashing process?
3. What is the value of brainwashing to a government?
4. When it comes to commentators and critics, what breeds an air of familiarity with viewers?
5. Why would Margaret Thatcher use an advertising agency as a method to get elected?
6. Why do people fall victim to "inner censorship"?
7. Why did Lessing believe that insane people are the only ones safe against brainwashing?
8. During the Korean War, why were American soldiers confessing to crimes they had nothing to do with?
9. Lessing stated that people in democratic societies are often fooling themselves on their level of freedom. Why?
10. Who is Jean Rhys? Why did all of her work become popular?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)