|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was remarkable about the bull this farmer owned?
(a) It was expensive.
(b) It was a half-breed.
(c) It was wild.
(d) It was albino.
2. What does Lessing remember about the group of people in the party she briefly joined in Rhodesia?
(a) They were normal.
(b) They were well-read.
(c) All of these.
(d) They were fun.
3. When did the political group Lessing belonged to in Rhodesia fall apart?
(a) During the war.
(b) After the war.
(c) In the 1980's.
(d) When she betrayed it.
4. What does the political Left believe in, according to Lessing?
5. What position did Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. hold?
(a) Maintenance worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Arthasastra mentions that it is only ________ in a line of books.
2. What does Lessing believe old literature to be?
3. Lessing believes the reaction of both Christians and Leftists to opposition is a form of ___________.
4. According to Lessing, people crave__________.
5. Where did Lessing grow up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lessing's opinion regarding war as a basis of our mentality?
2. Why did Lessing suggest that strengthening individuality would lead to a better world in the future?
3. Why did Lessing feel that our ability to consider differing viewpoints might save the human race?
4. When onlookers recognize that others are lying, Lessing believed they refuse to protest the lies for what purpose?
5. In terms of collective beliefs during her life time, what idiocy struck Lessing?
6. What was the purpose of cutting down a tree associated with a traitor? Why did Lessing find it ridiculous?
7. What is Lessing's prediction concerning what every viewpoint will become with time?
8. What service did Lessing feel that novelists brought to the world?
9. What is remarkable about the fact that the blacks were treated as second class citizens in Rhodesia?
10. Why was Lessing discouraged by the application of behavioral data uncovered through the "soft sciences"?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)