|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the label put on anyone in Rhodesia who disagreed with the ruling class?
(a) All of these.
(b) Sexually depraved.
2. Lessing found the tree cutting to be symbolic of ____________.
(a) "Fanatical religion."
(b) "Typical behavior."
(c) "Human evolution."
(d) "Awful primitivism."
3. Lessing believes the reaction of both Christians and Leftists to opposition is a form of ___________.
(a) Public relations.
(d) Intellectual superiority.
4. What did the farmer do to punish the bull for its kill?
(a) Sold it.
(b) Bred it.
(c) Whipped it.
(d) Killed it.
5. Lessing referenced a ten-year war of independence that took place in ___________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lessing remember about the group of people in the party she briefly joined in Rhodesia?
2. Which sciences did Lessing feel gave the best data regarding human behavior?
3. Lessing mentions a tree that was cut down in what country?
4. Lessing believed that a belief pattern of "you-are-damned, I-am-saved" in society is ________.
5. Why did Lessing believe the bull owner had no control over his response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comments did Lessing make about the length of time the white ruling class was in power in Rhodesia?
2. As Lessing looked ahead, how would people of the future feel, considering our lack of ability to change?
3. Why did Lessing believe sub-groups with opposing positions were dangerous?
4. What ideas do the quotes prior to "When in the Future They Look Back on Us" demonstrate?
5. Why was Lessing not surprised by the story of the attack on the British miner who was beaten by his friends?
6. Lessing believed that if humans could learn from our history, we could change our future in what respect?
7. What is remarkable about the fact that the blacks were treated as second class citizens in Rhodesia?
8. Why does Lessing consider the age of Arthastra to be significant?
9. Why did Lessing suggest that strengthening individuality would lead to a better world in the future?
10. What was Lessing's opinion regarding war as a basis of our mentality?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)