|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lessing see as a positive, in terms of brainwashing?
(a) It is cheap.
(b) It is easy to do.
(c) It does not last forever.
(d) It is fun.
2. What does every country perpetuate to some extent, according to Lessing?
(b) False modesty.
3. In the United States, people confessed to ridiculous crimes during _____________.
(a) The witch hunts.
(b) The rule of Abe Lincoln.
(c) The winter.
(d) The elections.
4. How might it benefit a leader to be unaware if his regime is treating the people poorly?
(a) He can claim innocence.
(b) All of these.
(c) He can rule in blissful ignorance.
(d) He is not forced to act.
5. Why did society accept work from Jean Rhys that had previously been rejected?
(a) They decided she was acceptable.
(b) They were paid off.
(c) To rebel.
(d) To create scandal.
6. According to Lessing, governments use brain washing for what purpose?
(a) To win wars.
(b) To teach.
(c) To control people.
(d) To save money.
7. Through understanding brainwashing, Lessing hoped that people could let go of ___________.
(b) Goal setting trends.
8. At a popular university, a researcher had the ability to control a subject by __________.
(a) Limiting exercise.
(b) Food rationing.
(c) Playing music.
9. What did many of the victims do during the Milgram experiment?
10. Why do most people ignore the existence of brainwashing techniques?
(a) They are irritated by the idea.
(b) It is too hard to learn.
(c) It is too expensive for most people.
(d) They do not like the idea.
11. What did Lessing propose that our government should do?
(a) Secretly evaluate its workers.
(b) Pay attention to technology.
(c) Give money to the poor.
(d) Aid foreign countries.
12. Lessing considered the time period of World War II to be ___________.
13. What does the group mind often discourage, according to Lessing?
(a) Believing in God.
(b) Marrying members of the group.
(c) Making friends with others.
(d) Debate about group ideas.
14. Lessing believed that people are governed by ___________.
(a) Mass greed.
(c) Mass emotion.
15. Lessing thought _____________ would be angry over her experiment with a pseudonym.
(a) Her parents.
(b) Her agent.
(c) The British literary community.
(d) The Royal family.
Short Answer Questions
1. In an experiment referenced by Lessing, groups fought individuals about the length of _____________.
2. What was Margaret Thatcher's title?
3. What are two entities which perpetuate brainwashing?
4. What advertising firm did Margaret Thatcher hire, prior to taking a public position?
5. Concerning conformity, Lessing believed that __________had the most influence on an individual.
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)