|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lessing considered the time period of World War II to be ___________.
2. What type of exposure leads the public to feel less for terrible disasters?
3. In the United States, people confessed to ridiculous crimes during _____________.
(a) The witch hunts.
(b) The rule of Abe Lincoln.
(c) The winter.
(d) The elections.
4. Why is it important for a leader to know what those below him are doing?
(a) Their actions represent him.
(b) To protect citizens.
(c) All of these.
(d) To maintain power.
5. According to Lessing, governments become dangerous without ___________.
(a) Popular support.
(c) Checks and balances.
6. According to Lessing, what type of absolutes do group minds often express?
(a) Democratic theories.
(b) Sacred assumptions.
(c) Scientific data.
(d) Historical references.
7. What was once another name for Iran?
8. What has become a natural complement to brainwashing, according to Lessing?
9. What happened to the man who named his cat "King of Kings"?
(a) He was imprisoned.
(b) He was mocked.
(c) He was lauded.
(d) He was invited to a State dinner.
10. According to Lessing, what do humans require?
(a) Free thinking.
(b) Lots of money.
11. During the Milgram experiment, people were instructed to give other people _____________.
(a) Electric shocks.
(b) Pink slips.
(c) A kiss.
(d) A black eye.
12. What, according to Lessing, is the biggest problem people in democratic societies face?
(a) Lack of money.
(b) Lack of food.
13. What members of the public eye, according to Lessing, often repeat words and phrases to breed familiarity?
(a) Political leaders.
(b) Teachers and students.
(c) Critics and commentators.
(d) Pop stars.
14. Experiments in mental hospitals have shown sane people mistaken for _______________.
(a) Dangerous criminals.
(b) Medical staff.
(c) Corporate staff.
(d) Insane people.
15. How many books did Lessing write under a pseudonym?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did society accept work from Jean Rhys that had previously been rejected?
2. During experiments, individuals have been shown to __________.
3. What did many of the victims do during the Milgram experiment?
4. During the Korean War, who confessed to crimes they did not commit?
5. What percentage of the world has a strong tendency towards leadership, according to experts?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)