|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Regarding the actions of their underlings, Lessing believed that leaders often knew _____________.
(a) Only positive actions.
(c) Only negative actions.
(d) Little of what is happening.
2. In Russia and Czechoslovakia, people confessed to ridiculous crimes during __________.
(a) The No Trials.
(b) The Interest Investigation.
(c) The Show Trials.
(d) The Scholar Trials.
3. During the Milgram experiment, what did most of the subjects do?
(a) Followed directions.
(b) Called the police.
(c) Asked to leave.
(d) Helped the victim.
4. Lessing is concerned that too many people are __________ about group psychology.
5. What members of the public eye, according to Lessing, often repeat words and phrases to breed familiarity?
(a) Teachers and students.
(b) Political leaders.
(c) Pop stars.
(d) Critics and commentators.
6. What made Jean Rhys popular?
(a) Charity work.
(b) A stint in office.
(c) A successful book.
(d) A public affair.
7. What, according to Lessing, is the biggest problem people in democratic societies face?
(b) Lack of money.
(c) Lack of food.
8. What are two entities which perpetuate brainwashing?
(a) Advertising and government.
(b) Government and the food industry.
(c) Hollywood and religion.
(d) Religion and farmers.
9. With brainwashing techniques, soldiers can be made to feel ________ about killing.
10. Experiments in prisons show that ordinary people _________________.
(a) Adopt prison behaviors.
(b) Adjust well to incarceration.
(c) Try to escape.
(d) Tell on the inmates.
11. Experiments in mental hospitals have shown sane people mistaken for _______________.
(a) Insane people.
(b) Medical staff.
(c) Corporate staff.
(d) Dangerous criminals.
12. During experiments, individuals have been shown to __________.
(b) Give into the group.
(c) Think individually.
(d) Cry out for companionship.
13. Why is it important for a leader to know what those below him are doing?
(a) All of these.
(b) To protect citizens.
(c) To maintain power.
(d) Their actions represent him.
14. According to Lessing, what are power structures across the globe putting into practice?
(a) Technological advancements.
(b) Training for the individual.
(c) Group psychology.
(d) Taxation without representation.
15. In what countries did Lessing see bloody revolutions?
(a) The United States and Canada.
(b) Germany and Spain.
(c) England and France.
(d) Russia and China.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprised people who took part in the Milgram experiment?
2. According to Lessing, governments become dangerous without ___________.
3. In Lessing's opinion, elitism is _____________.
4. Why did society accept work from Jean Rhys that had previously been rejected?
5. Lessing thought _____________ would be angry over her experiment with a pseudonym.
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)