|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Lessing, what religion has encouraged Europeans to kill in the name of God?
2. Who was surprised by what happened to the miner who returned to work during the miner's strike?
(a) The nation.
(b) The miner's friends.
(c) The miner's wife.
(d) The miner's boss.
3. In what time period did Lessing grow up?
(a) The turn of the century.
(b) Post World War II.
(c) Pre World War II.
(d) The sixties.
4. What does Lessing believe that humans know?
(a) Killing is wrong.
(b) More than they did in the past.
(c) They will never change.
(d) The power of leadership.
5. What is the origin of the farmer who owned the bull?
6. What was remarkable about the bull this farmer owned?
(a) It was wild.
(b) It was expensive.
(c) It was albino.
(d) It was a half-breed.
7. What does Lessing remember about the group of people in the party she briefly joined in Rhodesia?
(a) They were normal.
(b) All of these.
(c) They were fun.
(d) They were well-read.
8. According to Lessing, what word gets people excited to fight?
9. What surprised Lessing regarding human behavior over time?
(a) The intelligence amassed.
(b) The faith that has grown.
(c) How little it had changed.
(d) How much it had changed.
10. The political group Lessing joined in Rhodesia held what hope for the world under their rule?
(a) No sexual prejudice.
(b) No racial prejudice.
(c) No crime.
(d) All of these.
11. Lessing believed the human race to be in _________.
(a) "A terrible mess."
(b) "An expected state."
(c) "An inspirational transformation."
12. Which leader of the miner's strike was referenced by Lessing?
(a) Jessup Courtenay.
(b) Arthur Scargill.
(c) Herbert Ballino.
(d) Jake Montgomery.
13. Lessing believed that groups act together due to ___________.
(a) Social pecking orders.
(b) A desire for survival.
(c) Pack mentality.
(d) A need to connect.
14. Which sciences did Lessing feel gave the best data regarding human behavior?
(a) Astronomy and physiology.
(b) Anthropology and archaeology.
(c) None of the above.
(d) Psychology and social anthropology.
15. What was Lessing's attitude toward bigotry?
(a) She accepted it.
(b) None of these.
(c) She perpetuated it.
(d) She was against it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lessing would like society to be ___________.
2. How old is the Arthasastra?
3. What was the result of the miner's strike?
4. According to Lessing, what is a recipe for social disorder?
5. Lessing believed people could grow if they only detached from ___________.
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)