|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When political groups or religions have a conflict, what does Lessing believe that those involved typically stop doing?
(a) Loving their neighbor.
(b) Believing gossip.
(d) Supporting the cause.
2. During a riot in Brussels, what shocking act did humans perform on corpses?
(b) Grave robbing.
3. What surprised Lessing regarding human behavior over time?
(a) How much it had changed.
(b) The intelligence amassed.
(c) How little it had changed.
(d) The faith that has grown.
4. Lessing found the tree cutting to be symbolic of ____________.
(a) "Typical behavior."
(b) "Human evolution."
(c) "Awful primitivism."
(d) "Fanatical religion."
5. Lessing believed that groups act together due to ___________.
(a) Pack mentality.
(b) A need to connect.
(c) A desire for survival.
(d) Social pecking orders.
6. What was Lessing's attitude toward bigotry?
(a) None of these.
(b) She perpetuated it.
(c) She was against it.
(d) She accepted it.
7. What did people think of the farmer's decision to punish the bull?
(a) It was symbolic.
(b) It was necessary.
(c) It was wise.
(d) It was foolish.
8. Lessing believed it common for people to embrace ________.
(a) New leaders.
(b) Intelligent ideas.
(c) Ridiculous beliefs.
(d) Progressive ideals.
9. During Lessing's time in Rhodesia, how many people were in the political party she briefly joined?
10. Lessing believed history was a great __________.
11. What does Lessing believe old literature to be?
(c) Poorly written.
12. Lessing believed people could grow if they only detached from ___________.
(a) Mass emotion.
(b) Their family.
(c) Lessons from the past.
(d) The idea of love.
13. How did the whites feel about the blacks in Rhodesia?
14. Lessing encouraged humans to learn from ____________.
(a) Differing viewpoints.
(b) Family history.
(c) The news.
15. The Arthasastra mentions that it is only ________ in a line of books.
(a) A holy respite.
(b) The most important.
(c) The most memorable.
(d) One of many.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the bull keeper was killed, who asked for compensation?
2. What does Lessing remember about the group of people in the party she briefly joined in Rhodesia?
3. What does Lessing believe that humans know?
4. According to Lessing, what religion has encouraged Europeans to kill in the name of God?
5. What was the result of the miner's strike?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)