|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lessing's attitude toward bigotry?
(a) She was against it.
(b) She perpetuated it.
(c) She accepted it.
(d) None of these.
2. What does Lessing remember about the group of people in the party she briefly joined in Rhodesia?
(a) They were well-read.
(b) All of these.
(c) They were fun.
(d) They were normal.
3. Who was surprised by what happened to the miner who returned to work during the miner's strike?
(a) The nation.
(b) The miner's boss.
(c) The miner's friends.
(d) The miner's wife.
4. What is the Arthasastra about?
(a) City planning.
(b) Sensible governing.
(c) Taxing the poor.
5. What was Rhodesia ruled by?
(a) A white minority.
(b) A white majority.
(c) A black minority.
(d) A black majority.
6. Lessing referred to the sciences regarding human behavior as what type of science?
7. Lessing believed history was a great __________.
8. What position did Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. hold?
(b) Maintenance worker.
9. Lessing believed the human race to be in _________.
(b) "An inspirational transformation."
(c) "An expected state."
(d) "A terrible mess."
10. According to Lessing, war causes humans to ____________.
(a) Grow as a society.
(b) Make money.
(c) Revert to a brutal past.
(d) Develop strong moral fiber.
11. Lessing felt that the party ruling Rhodesia was ____________.
12. What did the farmer do to punish the bull for its kill?
(a) Whipped it.
(b) Killed it.
(c) Sold it.
(d) Bred it.
13. When did the political group Lessing belonged to in Rhodesia fall apart?
(a) In the 1980's.
(b) During the war.
(c) After the war.
(d) When she betrayed it.
14. Lessing mentions a tree that was cut down in what country?
15. What happened to the miner who returned to work during the miner's strike?
(a) His friends beat him.
(b) His boss killed him.
(c) He fell through a shaft.
(d) He was a national hero.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea was popular prior to Hitler and the Cold War?
2. What did onlookers believe about the opposing sides from the miner's strike?
3. As a whole, Lessing considered writers to be ______________.
4. According to Lessing, what do novelists have the ability to do?
5. Why did a member of the striking mine workers go back to work during the strike?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)