|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the race of the boy the bull killed?
2. Lessing believed people could grow if they only detached from ___________.
(a) Their family.
(b) Lessons from the past.
(c) Mass emotion.
(d) The idea of love.
3. What did Lessing think about the ideals held by the political group she briefly joined?
(a) They were insane.
(b) They were well constructed.
(c) They were brilliant.
(d) They were typical.
4. What idea was popular prior to Hitler and the Cold War?
(c) One world united.
5. Where did the miner's strike referenced by Lessing take place?
(d) United States.
6. When the bull keeper was killed, who asked for compensation?
(a) The boy's parents.
(b) No one.
(c) The owner of the bull.
(d) The farmer.
7. What nationality was Friedrich Hebbel?
8. In what time period did Lessing grow up?
(a) The sixties.
(b) Pre World War II.
(c) Post World War II.
(d) The turn of the century.
9. Lessing felt that the party ruling Rhodesia was ____________.
10. Why did a member of the striking mine workers go back to work during the strike?
(a) Lack of faith in the strike leader.
(b) To get public attention.
(c) To defy his country.
(d) He agreed with the union terms.
11. When did the political group Lessing belonged to in Rhodesia fall apart?
(a) After the war.
(b) In the 1980's.
(c) During the war.
(d) When she betrayed it.
12. Lessing believed it common for people to embrace ________.
(a) New leaders.
(b) Progressive ideals.
(c) Ridiculous beliefs.
(d) Intelligent ideas.
13. What did the farmer do to punish the bull for its kill?
(a) Bred it.
(b) Killed it.
(c) Sold it.
(d) Whipped it.
14. According to Lessing, what word gets people excited to fight?
15. Growing up, Lessing was briefly a member of what party?
(d) The Tea Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lessing believes the reaction of both Christians and Leftists to opposition is a form of ___________.
2. What does Lessing remember about the group of people in the party she briefly joined in Rhodesia?
3. Lessing reports that both Christians and Leftists tend to do what to their opposition?
4. What was Lessing's attitude toward bigotry?
5. Who was surprised by what happened to the miner who returned to work during the miner's strike?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)