|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was James Potter able to transform himself into when he was a student at Hogwarts?
2. What is Harry called by the man who ties up Lupin and Sirius in the Shack?
3. Who is trying to get Harry expelled when he comes to after passing out at the lake with all the dementors?
4. Why does Harry decide to do with the man who was responsible for his parent's death?
5. What must Harry do in order to make the charm that Lupin is teaching him work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Peter Pettigrew cut off his own finger?
2. What does Hermione do to Malfoy when he jokes about Buckbeak getting executed?
3. Where does Harry wake up after passing out by the lake with all the dementors?
4. How does Harry scare Malfoy in Hogsmeade village when he is teasing Ron?
5. What happens when Snape tries to use the Marauder's Map?
6. What does Sirius Black send Harry as he boards the Hogwarts Express?
7. What does Peter use to transform himself into a rat?
8. Who wins the Quidditch Cup for Harry's third year at Hogwarts?
9. What is an animagus?
10. Why is Lupin leaving Hogwarts after only his first year of teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Lupin's secret identity and how does this affect the outcome of the book? Why does Lupin feel he must keep this a secret and what does this say about the nature of the other people at Hogwarts?
Essay Topic 2
How does the time turner affect the course of the plot and what important cautions are given to those who use it?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)