|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Ron and Hermione to fight so much during the beginning of the school year?
2. What does Harry find out during the first class of his second day at school?
3. What does Harry overhear Mr. Weasley telling his wife while at the Leaky Cauldron?
4. Where does Hagrid hold his first class of the year?
5. What happens to Vernon's sister as she is berating Harry's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise gift does Harry find on Christmas morning?
2. What causes Harry to think that he is weak compared to the other students?
3. Why does Buckbeak attack Malfoy on his first class with Hagrid?
4. Just after leaving the Dursleys' house, what does Harry see in some bushes?
5. Who does Harry read about in the Daily Prophet just after leaving the Dursleys' house?
6. Why does McGonegall take Harry's surprise gift away on Christmas afternoon?
7. What does Vernon's sister compare Harry's blood-line to during dinner at Vernon's house?
8. What does Vernon's sister insist that Harry call her when she visits her brother?
9. Who tells Dumbledore that Black could have entered the school with inside help?
10. What does Hermione purchase in Diagon Alley that Ron wishes she would return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
What happens to Harry at the lake near the end of the book and what deeper meanings does this event imply? How does this one event change Harry's life and perspective?
Essay Topic 3
Justice and mercy were two themes that are prevalent throughout this book. What are some of the places where these themes are present and how do they work together to affect the characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)