|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hagrid hold his first class of the year?
2. What does Dumbledore have the students do after the fearful events in the Gryffindor common room on Halloween?
3. Why is Harry forced to live where he does over the summer holidays.
4. How do most of the students feel about their new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher after their first day in class?
5. What is so exciting about Halloween for the third years at Hogwarts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry live with the Dursleys when he is not at Hogwarts?
2. Who does Dumbledore appoint as the new Care of Magical Creatures instructor?
3. Why does Buckbeak attack Malfoy on his first class with Hagrid?
4. Why does McGonegall take Harry's surprise gift away on Christmas afternoon?
5. Why does Harry suspect Lupin has been so ill?
6. What does the term "muggle" mean?
7. What is Ron's worst fear?
8. Who greets Harry at the Leaky Cauldron when he first arrives there after leaving the Dursleys' house?
9. Who tells Dumbledore that Black could have entered the school with inside help?
10. Where is Harry when he learns of Sirius Black's true connection to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Justice and mercy were two themes that are prevalent throughout this book. What are some of the places where these themes are present and how do they work together to affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the attributes that make a true leader? Who are the true leaders in this book and how does their leadership affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)