|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry's early Christmas gift from the Weasley twins allow Harry to do?
2. Who gives Lupin a potion while he is talking with Harry on Halloween?
3. What does Vernon's sister say Harry should feel towards his uncle?
4. Who is said to have done what was found at the common room after the Halloween Feast?
5. What is Vernon's sister drinking when she starts to talk about how horrible Harry is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the ministry so concerned about Harry's safety before he returns to Hogwarts?
2. Where is Harry when he learns of Sirius Black's true connection to him?
3. What causes Ron and Hermione to fight so much during their third year at Hogwarts.
4. What does Harry do to Vernon's sister after her insults cross the line?
5. How does Harry keep in touch with his friends while he is at the Dursleys house over the summer vacation?
6. Why does McGonegall take Harry's surprise gift away on Christmas afternoon?
7. Who rides in the train compartment with Ron, Harry, and Hermione?
8. What is Ron's worst fear?
9. What does Hagrid teach about in his first class in Magical Creatures?
10. Just after leaving the Dursleys' house, what does Harry see in some bushes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The dementors are a very integral part of this plot. How do their actions change the tide of the plot? Do you think they are aware of what they are doing? Why or why not? Make sure to use examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
What is Lupin's secret identity and how does this affect the outcome of the book? Why does Lupin feel he must keep this a secret and what does this say about the nature of the other people at Hogwarts?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Harry at the lake near the end of the book and what deeper meanings does this event imply? How does this one event change Harry's life and perspective?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)