Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Harry's father's best friend when they were young?
2. What does Harry see on a cover of a book in Diagon Alley that he feels he has seen before?
3. Who does Harry read about in the newspaper while riding the bus to London?
4. Why is Harry not as excited about Halloween as the rest of his classmates?
5. Who is in the train compartment with Ron, Harry, and Hermione when they board the Hogwarts Express?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hagrid teach about in his first class in Magical Creatures?
2. What do the dementors look like?
3. What does the term "muggle" mean?
4. What does Harry hear before passing out when the dementors are near him?
5. Who walks into the room just as Lupin and Black finish telling Harry their story at the Shrieking Shack?
6. What appears as Lupin's worst fear?
7. What causes Harry to think that he is weak compared to the other students?
8. What happens when Snape tries to use the Marauder's Map?
9. Who does Harry read about in the Daily Prophet just after leaving the Dursleys' house?
10. Just after leaving the Dursleys' house, what does Harry see in some bushes?
Essay Topic 1
What is Lupin's secret identity and how does this affect the outcome of the book? Why does Lupin feel he must keep this a secret and what does this say about the nature of the other people at Hogwarts?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
The dementors are a very integral part of this plot. How do their actions change the tide of the plot? Do you think they are aware of what they are doing? Why or why not? Make sure to use examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)