|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hagrid hold his first class of the year?
2. Why does McGonegall tell the students to not take their Divination lessons too seriously on their first day of their year?
3. Why does Harry try so hard to be nice to Vernon's sister when she is being so horrible to him?
4. What does Harry, Ron and Hermione find when they return to their common room after the Halloween Feast?
5. Who is in the train compartment with Ron, Harry, and Hermione when they board the Hogwarts Express?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Weasley tell Harry just before he boards the Hogwarts Express?
2. Just after leaving the Dursleys' house, what does Harry see in some bushes?
3. What bit of news does Harry hear during his first Potions lesson of the year?
4. What does Harry love most about his stay at The Leaky Cauldron before he returns to school at Hogwarts?
5. How does Harry keep in touch with his friends while he is at the Dursleys house over the summer vacation?
6. What does Lupin teach about in his first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson?
7. What causes Ron and Hermione to fight so much during their third year at Hogwarts.
8. Why is the ministry so concerned about Harry's safety before he returns to Hogwarts?
9. Who tells Dumbledore that Black could have entered the school with inside help?
10. Why does McGonegall take Harry's surprise gift away on Christmas afternoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Who is involved in the attack at the Shrieking Shack and what do they have to gain by doing this? How do the events of this night alter the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Peter Pettigrew was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Pettigrew had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)