|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry see on a cover of a book in Diagon Alley that he feels he has seen before?
2. What happens to Vernon's sister as she is berating Harry's parents?
3. Who is said to have done what was found at the common room after the Halloween Feast?
4. What causes Ron and Hermione to fight so much during the beginning of the school year?
5. Who does Vernon's sister treat better than she treats Harry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who greets Harry at the Leaky Cauldron when he first arrives there after leaving the Dursleys' house?
2. How does Harry keep in touch with his friends while he is at the Dursleys house over the summer vacation?
3. Why does Harry live with the Dursleys when he is not at Hogwarts?
4. Who rides in the train compartment with Ron, Harry, and Hermione?
5. What is Harry's greatest fear?
6. What does Hagrid teach about in his first class in Magical Creatures?
7. What does Vernon's sister compare Harry's blood-line to during dinner at Vernon's house?
8. Who approves Hermione to take so many extra classes in her third year at Hogwarts?
9. Who tells Dumbledore that Black could have entered the school with inside help?
10. What surprise gift does Harry find on Christmas morning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a secret keeper, and what place does this term have in the course of the book's plot? In what other places is the theme of secrecy present and how does this affect the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What do Ron and Hermione bicker about throughout the whole book and what far-reaching effects does this constant anger and hostility have on the plot?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)