|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Harry's father's best friend when they were young?
2. What does Harry see on a cover of a book in Diagon Alley that he feels he has seen before?
3. Who does Harry read about in the newspaper while riding the bus to London?
4. Why is Harry not as excited about Halloween as the rest of his classmates?
5. Who is in the train compartment with Ron, Harry, and Hermione when they board the Hogwarts Express?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hagrid teach about in his first class in Magical Creatures?
2. What do the dementors look like?
3. What does the term "muggle" mean?
4. What does Harry hear before passing out when the dementors are near him?
5. Who walks into the room just as Lupin and Black finish telling Harry their story at the Shrieking Shack?
6. What appears as Lupin's worst fear?
7. What causes Harry to think that he is weak compared to the other students?
8. What happens when Snape tries to use the Marauder's Map?
9. Who does Harry read about in the Daily Prophet just after leaving the Dursleys' house?
10. Just after leaving the Dursleys' house, what does Harry see in some bushes?
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the spells from the book and how they were executed. What significance do these spells have on the outcome of the book and the growth of Harry's character?
Essay Topic 2
Justice and mercy were two themes that are prevalent throughout this book. What are some of the places where these themes are present and how do they work together to affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Harry endures a crucible of sorts before the end of the book. What lessons does Harry learn through this experience and how could he have learned these lessons without causing so much grief?
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)