|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry do after walking a few blocks away from the Dursley's house?
2. What does Harry find out during the first class of his second day at school?
3. What does Harry, Ron and Hermione find when they return to their common room after the Halloween Feast?
4. What is Hermione carrying around at the beginning of the school year due to her large class load?
5. What is Ron's rat named?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the group get the unconscious Snape back to Hogwarts once they have made their decision about what to do with Pettigrew?
2. How does Harry keep in touch with his friends while he is at the Dursleys house over the summer vacation?
3. Who substitutes for Lupin when he is too sick to teach his class?
4. Why is Lupin leaving Hogwarts after only his first year of teaching?
5. Just after leaving the Dursleys' house, what does Harry see in some bushes?
6. Why is the ministry so concerned about Harry's safety before he returns to Hogwarts?
7. What picks Harry up after he leaves the Dursley's house in a huff?
8. Why did Peter Pettigrew cut off his own finger?
9. Who wins the Quidditch Cup for Harry's third year at Hogwarts?
10. What does Harry need Uncle Vernon to sign before he heads back to Hogwarts at the end of the summer?
Essay Topic 1
Explain some of the spells from the book and how they were executed. What significance do these spells have on the outcome of the book and the growth of Harry's character?
Essay Topic 2
Harry endures a crucible of sorts before the end of the book. What lessons does Harry learn through this experience and how could he have learned these lessons without causing so much grief?
Essay Topic 3
Why might Rowling have allowed Pettigrew to live at the end of the book? What kind of message does this send and do you think he should have been killed? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)