|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do most of the students feel about their new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher after their first day in class?
2. What position at Hogwarts has opened up once again and needs a replacement before the school year starts?
3. What is Harry's worst fear?
4. What is so exciting about Halloween for the third years at Hogwarts?
5. Who is in the train compartment with Ron, Harry, and Hermione when they board the Hogwarts Express?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who greets Harry at the Leaky Cauldron when he first arrives there after leaving the Dursleys' house?
2. Who approves Hermione to take so many extra classes in her third year at Hogwarts?
3. Where did Ron get his pet rat?
4. What appears as Lupin's worst fear?
5. Who does Dumbledore appoint as the new Care of Magical Creatures instructor?
6. Why does Harry live with the Dursleys when he is not at Hogwarts?
7. What does Hagrid teach about in his first class in Magical Creatures?
8. What does Harry need Uncle Vernon to sign before he heads back to Hogwarts at the end of the summer?
9. Why does Harry suspect Lupin has been so ill?
10. What bit of news does Harry hear during his first Potions lesson of the year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might Rowling have allowed Pettigrew to live at the end of the book? What kind of message does this send and do you think he should have been killed? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does the time turner affect the course of the plot and what important cautions are given to those who use it?
Essay Topic 3
Who is involved in the attack at the Shrieking Shack and what do they have to gain by doing this? How do the events of this night alter the plot?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)